It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 09:54

Happening Now:

Alleviate MBA app anxiety! Come to Chat Room #2

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 21:42
I have a doubt on use of a term - such as the ONE Norway has.

In my opinion, it implies that - A country can keep some advantages as Norway has kept its advantages.
If this is true, by stating "such as the ONE Norway has" , "ONE" refers to Norway or "Advantages"?. I felt it was referring to advantages and thought that it is a wrong comparison.

Please help with some examples using "such as the one" phrase.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 02:18
RMD007 wrote:
I have a doubt on use of a term - such as the ONE Norway has.

In my opinion, it implies that - A country can keep some advantages as Norway has kept its advantages.
If this is true, by stating "such as the ONE Norway has" , "ONE" refers to Norway or "Advantages"?. I felt it was referring to advantages and thought that it is a wrong comparison.

Please help with some examples using "such as the one" phrase.
Here one is referring to association agreement.

You should read with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has as with an association agreement, such as the association agreement that Norway has.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 135

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:14
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

Will the above sentence be incorrect?

I could not make the difference whether the author is trying to compare a country and Norway or presenting Norway as an example. Please help !

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has KEPT, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

You missed the word "kept". A word that is not already present in the first element of a parallel structure cannot be omitted from the second element of the structure.

Thanks for clarifying. Will the below choice be correct?

A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 135

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3103 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 06:13
AR15J wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

I could not make the difference whether the author is trying to compare a country and Norway or presenting Norway as an example. Please help !

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has KEPT, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

You missed the word "kept". A word that is not already present in the first element of a parallel structure cannot be omitted from the second element of the structure.

Thanks for clarifying. Will the below choice be correct?

A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as the one Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

No, LIKE instead of AS should be used because the comparison is between the nouns "association" and "one". The verbs " has" and "could keep" are not compared, hence "as" is wrong.

The following would be correct:

A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, like the one (that) Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

Note: "(that) Norway has" is a relative clause modifier referring to "one" - not a clause compared with the opening clause ("A country could keep some of the advantages...").

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 11:25
sayantanc2k wrote:

Yes the second "it" is a placeholder for "to influence trade and competition policy".

Just for my knowledge, does placeholder it not conform to the rule that if a pronoun has found a logical antecedent then subsequent usage of the pronoun will refer back to the same antecedent?

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 139

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 13:07
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Yes the second "it" is a placeholder for "to influence trade and competition policy".

Just for my knowledge, does placeholder it not conform to the rule that if a pronoun has found a logical antecedent then subsequent usage of the pronoun will refer back to the same antecedent?

No, it does not, because placeholder "it" is not a personal pronoun. There may be another "it" in the sentence referring to some thing.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 07:29
Vyshak wrote:
Vin07 wrote:
I have some confusion between A & C. A & C differ only in the use of "such as the one Norway has" and "like the one Norway has" . Could some please help me in identifying why "such as" is better suited here. I chose C as my answer.

For examples, we use 'such as'. 'Like' is used to compare nouns.

Hi,

Are we not comparing nouns here? Would you please let me know the difference between such as and like..

Thanks in advance..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 07:58
umabharatigudipalli wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
Vin07 wrote:
I have some confusion between A & C. A & C differ only in the use of "such as the one Norway has" and "like the one Norway has" . Could some please help me in identifying why "such as" is better suited here. I chose C as my answer.

For examples, we use 'such as'. 'Like' is used to compare nouns.

Hi,

Are we not comparing nouns here? Would you please let me know the difference between such as and like..

Thanks in advance..

We are not comparing the countries with Norway. We are providing an example of the country that has the advantages of being in EU.

Hence, as we are using such as here.

Note: Such as is used to show examples and Like SHOULD NEVER be used for examples.

Like is used to compare ONLY Nouns, which in this case is not valid. Hence, A is the correct answer.

V21 ---> V40!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 88

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 04:50
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

hello sir , your above clarifications are enough to understand the answer , while i have doubt please clarify
if we write this sentence such as

A country that keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has , but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

my point to option B if we modify it like above ,would it be correct ?

thanks
regards
Nimesh

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7612 [1], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Nimesh
Can I take your permission to weigh in?
Basically, it becomes difficult to defend B because it is a fragment with no verb for the first part. The relative pronoun "that' is a spoilsport.
Let's therefore, remove the problematic 'that'' from your rewrite and see Still choice B doesn't gel grammatically
A country keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
Let's accept you rare comparing what a country keeps with what Norway has. So you may feel the use of 'as' is legal. Bur aren't you comparing two unequal things in that 'keeps' is an action verb while 'has' is a linking verb. May be it will be fine if you say"

" A country keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway does, but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy."

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7612 [1], given: 360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 07:01
daagh wrote:
Nimesh
Can I take your permission to weigh in?
Basically, it becomes difficult to defend B because it is a fragment with no verb for the first part. The relative pronoun "that' is a spoilsport.
Let's therefore, remove the problematic 'that'' from your rewrite and see Still choice B doesn't gel grammatically
A country keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.
Let's accept you rare comparing what a country keeps with what Norway has. So you may feel the use of 'as' is legal. Bur aren't you comparing two unequal things in that 'keeps' is an action verb while 'has' is a linking verb. May be it will be fine if you say"

" A country keeps some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway does, but it will find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy."

i appreciate your work sir, the sentence you wrote at the last understandable to me very well .
thank you :lol:

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 19:37
Vyshak wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'as' is incorrect

Can you briefly explain why the usage of 'as' is incorrect? Is it for the same reason that 'like' was incorrect? While intuitively I agree that A sounds best I want to make sure I understand why I'm rejecting the rest.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 02:00
ar500 wrote:
Vyshak wrote:
A country could keep some of the advantages of the European Union with an association agreement, as Norway has, but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy. - Incorrect - usage of 'as' is incorrect

Can you briefly explain why the usage of 'as' is incorrect? Is it for the same reason that 'like' was incorrect? While intuitively I agree that A sounds best I want to make sure I understand why I'm rejecting the rest.

The usage of as is incorrect in option D because if you go for the meaning of the original sentence, we are meant to give an example of the country that has the agreement. So. to present an example we MUST use such as. But in D, the meaning conveys we are comparing the agreements of EU and Norway(an incorrect meaning). So, D is incorrect as it changes the intended meaning.

Option C uses Like. But It is incorrect because Like Can never be FOLLOWED by a Clause. Here, We are saying Like the one Norway has. Notice, the bold portion is a clause. This is a straight wrong rule for GMAT.

V21 ---> V40!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 173

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 08:15
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

In OA, 'KEPT' is also missing, though it is correct! Would you please ...

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has (KEPT), but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

What does 'one' refer to?

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 173

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 215 [1], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
Mahmud6 wrote:
In OA, 'KEPT' is also missing, though it is correct! Would you please ...

A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European Union with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has (KEPT), but it would find it much harder to influence trade and competition policy.

What does 'one' refer to?
I don't remember seeing kept anywhere. In this sentence, has is used like this:

Norway has an association agreement.

It is not used like this:

Norway has kept an association agreement.

The keep is referring to the keeping of advantages, not (an) agreement.

As for one, take a look here.

AjiteshArun wrote:
Here one is referring to association agreement.

You should read with an association agreement, such as the one Norway has as with an association agreement, such as the association agreement that Norway has.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 215 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 21:02
I still feel that the answer is D and not A. Can someone tell me what does 'one' refer to in option A?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: A country could keep some of the advantages of being in the European U   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2017, 21:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ]