Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4549 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4549 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4549 [2]
Send PM
Re: Verbal Chat with a Tutor every Wednesday at 7:30 AM PST/8 PM IST [#permalink]
Kudos
Chat Transcript: 8/9/2017

Q: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

A: Among other things, this one is flipping the subject and the verb around in a way that isn’t completely intuitive.
I think (C) is defensible, but it’s not correct, sadly. But I guess this is a good "inside the mind of the GMAT" sort of moment.

Q: What’s the difference between the usage of on earth in options C and E?

A: It’s really, really subtle, but the placement of "on Earth" tweaks the meaning a little bit. The sentence is concerned with "the surest indications on Earth" of sunspot cycles. In (C), "on Earth" seems to be describing the whole sentence, and that’s less clear.
Also, I think the heart of the sentence is hidden a little bit in C. What do we really care about? "the surest indications of sunspot cycles", right? That’s the phenomenon we’re trying to explain. (C) takes forever to mention the sunspot cycles at all. (E) cuts right to the heart of the issue.
Plus, that non-underlined portion at the end of the sentence is modifying the "rate at which trees grow" -- and it’s placed correctly in (E), but not in (C). Not a huge issue necessarily, but definitely clearer in (E).
I don’t think (C) is terrible, and it’s not WRONG. It’s just not as good as E in the GMAT’s eyes. I can see their point, I guess -- three small issues that all point toward (E), mostly in terms of clarity and meaning.
The annoying thing is that it’s hard to extract much from this question that will help on others. I guess the question is telling us to pay really, really close attention to modifier placements. (Both the "on earth" and the non-underlined portion.)

Q: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

A: the parallelism isn’t quite right in A. Hang on, let me repost a couple of these answer choices side-by-side...
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

OK. So in (E), we have "cool (adjective), provided with high-energy feed (adjective), and milked regularly (adjective)..." And that makes sense. The farmer is keeping the cows "cool, provided..., and milked..."
In (A), "providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly" are are also modifiers, but now they’re not parallel to "cool." I suppose "providing... and milking..." could modify the entire phrase "for the farmer that takes care to keep them cool", but that wouldn’t make any sense meaning-wise.
in this case, yes -- "For the farmer who takes care to keep them... provided with high-energy feed." Sounds weird in isolation, but it’s fine. The farmer "keeps the cow provided with high-energy feed."
For more details refer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-chat- ... l#p1886827

Q: i have gone thru this link:https://gmatclub.com/forum/150-hardest-and-easiest-questions-for-sc-204136.html --> it’s 150 hardest and easiest questions, what i have found is that almost all of the difficult questions are from test prep companies and almost all of the easiest ones are from official guide or gmatprep. My question is: if we stay away from testprep questions then from where to get official hard questions for practice?

A: So here’s the thing: those difficulty levels are determined by the results of those timers, if I’m not mistaken. People struggle on hard questions, but they also struggle on flawed questions. And it’s hard to know which is which, to be honest. And it’s hard to know which is which, to be honest. I think some people do benefit from doing those non-official questions, since they can give you extra repetition on certain concepts and stretch your supply of official questions. But when I see a discussion that’s raging on the forums on a non-official verbal question, it’s usually because of a flaw in the question.
The GMAT itself is inconsistent enough with its "rules" (or lack of rules). Non-official questions can make it harder to feel firm in your understanding of how things really work. So use official stuff whenever possible... but yeah, there’s not as much official stuff as we’d like, so I acknowledge that particularly hard-working students end up in a tough spot. Do you repeat official questions, or use non-official ones? I don’t have a great answer to that.

Q: Can you discuss about verb tenses?

A: OK, so in a lot of the test-prep books, the verb tense chapters basically list every verb tense that exists in English. As if you have to memorize them all or something. That seems unbelievably painful to me, unless you’re just learning English. So I’ve always believed in a minimalist approach to verb tenses: which ones do you REALLY need to understand? Like, which ones do you need to understand deeply to do well on the GMAT? Honestly, I think it’s only the past perfect tense. ("Had been" or "had studied" or "had + verb".) That one causes all sorts of trouble, partly because it has very specific rules, and partly because we use it incorrectly in everyday speech, at least here in the U.S.
Beyond that, when I look at most verb tense questions, they’re basically checking to see if you can match the tenses with the meaning. Seeing if you’re paying attention to what, EXACTLY, the sentence is trying to say. The verb tenses themselves aren’t so bad -- again, other than past perfect, which tends to cause trouble for native speakers. My non-native speakers seem to do just fine with it.
The more common mistake I see is this...
People will look at a sentence and decide that there’s a problem -- maybe "bad parallelism" or something -- if the verb tenses don’t match. And that’s not necessarily correct. We mix verb tenses constantly in real life. We’re always comparing the past to the future, or the present to the past. That’s totally fine, as long as it matches the meaning.
Silly example: "Amber studied ballet as a child, studies Pilates now, and will study cooking someday."
A very common wrong reaction: "that’s not parallel!" Sure it is: "Amber (verb), (verb), and (verb)." Structurally, parallelism has nothing to do with verb tense. Mixing verb tenses is fine... as long as it actually makes sense with the meaning! And that’s the #1 thing the GMAT is trying to test. Memorizing a crapload of verb tense rules usually isn’t useful -- unless, of course, you’re still working on your English fundamentals.
So yes, study past perfect tense if you’re not 100% comfortable with it. (We’ll post a topic of the week on it in the fall.) Otherwise? When you see shifting verb tenses, think about meaning.
Favorite not-super-hard example coming in a moment...

Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

(A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

(B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

(C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

(D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been

(E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

OK, so easy elimination on (A) and (B), right? Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

(A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

(B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

"Not trusting themselves... stockbrokers..." --> nope, the stockbrokers trust themselves just fine.
So... in (C) and (E), "could be easily" or "could easily be" are present tense. (Conditional, but still present tense.) In (D), "could have been" is in the present perfect conditional (ugh, what a terrible term) -- basically, we’re referring to stocks in the past, not just the present. And that doesn’t really make sense. Why is it that many people "are turning to stockbrokers" for help purchasing stocks... in the past? That’s the problem with (D). Subtle! All about meaning.

The company announced that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected it to and its business will improve in the second half of the year.

A) had expected it to and its business will improve
B) had expected and that its business would improve
C) expected it would and that it will improve its business
D) expected them to and its business would improve
E) expected and that it will have improved its business

"we need perfect past tense right? because analysts expected before announcement. Also D doent have "that" and E has "will"" --> yup, that’s spot-on. The announcement is in simple past, the expectations must have happened before that -- so we need past perfect in this case. For whatever it’s worth, the pronoun "it" in (E) could just refer to "company." That seems fine. In (D), "them" could refer to profits -- that seems fine, too. I think the parallelism is clearer in (B) than in (D) -- "that its business would improve" is more clearly parallel to "that its profits declined." But I’m not 100% sure that the parallelism in (D) is wrong -- just really, really suspect. The verb tenses seem like the bigger issue.

Q: any posts on modifiers that you think is very useful?

A: Refer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43686.html

Q: It is expected that you be here or it is expected that you should be here? Which is correct?

A: Definitely not the latter. "Should" is a value judgment of sorts, so it doesn’t work with "expected." The former is OK, I guess, but "you are expected to be here" is better.

Q: When can we use simple present in reported speech?

A: simple present just indicates a general characteristic. "Hurricanes destroy millions of homes." --> This doesn’t exactly mean that it’s happening right now; it’s just a general characteristic of what hurricanes do.

OK, I’m out. For a month! We’ll be back in mid-September with a mix of YouTube live webinars and these old-school chat sessions. QOTDs will continue, though. And feel free to post questions on the chat thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-chat- ... 78-20.html
We’ll get to them in September, and love taking requests.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Verbal Chat with a Tutor every Wednesday at 7:30 AM PST/8 PM IST [#permalink]
souvik101990 GMATNinja bb

I hope we are starting 'season 2' of learnings with chat and youtube videos sooner.
Missing nuggets of wisdom from experts and active participation of community members.

WR,
Arpit

Originally posted by adkikani on 10 Sep 2017, 17:02.
Last edited by adkikani on 13 Sep 2017, 16:37, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [0]

Send PM
Re: Verbal Chat with a Tutor every Wednesday at 7:30 AM PST/8 PM IST [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Coming soon, adkikani! I'm back in the office today for the first time in about a month, and we're just working out which days and times will work best for the return of the verbal chats and YouTube live webinars. Stay tuned!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OK, I think we're still confirming the exact time, but we'll be starting back up next Wednesday, September 20. We'll start with an old-fashioned chat room discussion, and then we'll start alternating between YouTube live webinars and chat-room sessions. More details to come, once the scheduling maestros figure out what works best for everybody.

Looking forward to restarting these chats! Always one of my favorite times of the week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [7]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi guys, after finding this wonderful chat with GMATNinja , I decided to collect all the information and arranged them based on specific topics.

Just to help those who overwhelmed with a lot of information here!

(I counted 53 pages of word document only from chat transcript between May 17-August 8 :oops: :oops: )

This summary only covers SC part : let me know if summary in CR and RC also needed.

God bless!

PS : big thanks to Vyshak who wrote down the chat transcript, so those who could not join still can study.
Attachments

File comment: Verbal Chat Summary
Verbal Chat Summary.pdf [697.45 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How to break the bottleneck and improve your score greatly?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
septwibowo wrote:
Hi guys, after finding this wonderful chat with GMATNinja , I decided to collect all the information and arranged them based on specific topics.

(I counted 53 pages of word document only from chat transcript between May 17-August 8 :oops: :oops: )

This summary only covers SC part : let me know if summary in CR and RC also needed.

God bless!

PS : big thanks to Vyshak who wrote down the chat transcript, so those who could not join still can study.

Holy crap, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for compiling this, septwibowo!!

I can't wait to get back to these chats this week. See you all on Wednesday!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
septwibowo wrote:

God bless!

Holy crap, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for compiling this, septwibowo!!

I can't wait to get back to these chats this week. See you all on Wednesday!

The stack of questions is already full. Please snack on some protein before the class. :grin:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:

The stack of questions is already full. Please snack on some protein before the class. :grin:

I have the intravenous caffeine drip ready to go, too. :dazen
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4549 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Chat Transcript: 09/20/2017

Q: In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

A. did its return in 1910-1911

B. had its 1910-1911 return

C. in its return of 1910-1911

D. its return of 1910-1911 did

E. its return in 1910-1911

A: The annoying thing about this question is that most of the answer choices make logical sense -- and in a majority of tougher comparison questions, the key is to think really, really literally about what EXACTLY the comparison is saying.
the thing being compared here is what happened in the comet’s various historical sightings.
"in no other historical sighting [did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as]..." Well, we need the next phrase to start with "in (some other historical sighting)" in order for this to make sense.

Q: Sorry to ask for basic one. Actually when we use "did", when we use "had" also makes me confused. What is the proper verb here? Is it the same?

A: no, that’s not basic at all! In this question, I can’t figure out why we would want to mix "had" and "did". Check out this phrase: "In no other historical sighting did the comet cause..." "Did" is a helping verb here. To keep the comparison parallel, there’s no reason why we would suddenly switch to "had", as in answer choice (B).

Q: return of 1910-1911 doesn't sound right. Is that grammatically correct ? If i were to go with C

A: I think that "return of 1910-11" sounds like garbage. It makes sense to talk about "the return of Michael Jordan to the Bulls." But "its return of 1910-11" strikes me as unidiomatic, and it sounds funny. But "sounds funny" is NOT a good reason to eliminate anything... and idioms are really, really tricky in English, and they lack clear rules.
More on those here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html
In other words: I don’t like the idiom in (C), but if I’m not CERTAIN that it’s wrong, then I can’t eliminate it. And it turns out that (C) does the best job of making the comparison parallel.

Q: By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them disease- or pest-resistant, researchers have been able to increase the amount of protein in potatoes, sweet potatoes, and tobacco.

A. By the same techniques used for genetically enhancing plants, making them
B. With the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, so that they are
C. Employing the same techniques used to genetically enhance plants so that they are
D. Employing the same techniques to genetically enhance plants, which makes them
E. Employing the same techniques for genetically enhancing plants that make them

In option E, what "that" refers to? Is it the case for modify distant noun?

A: The use of "that" is really confusing in (E). "that make them disease- or pest-resistant" seems to be modifying "plants", and that doesn’t make sense. So the next question is: could this be an exception to the "touch rule"? I guess that could work ("same techniques... that make them... resistant"), but it’s not ideal here. (C) avoids that problem entirely. And in (C), the causality is much, much clearer: "employing the same techniques... so that they are disease- and pest-resistant."

Q: in gmat should we always prefer ’to’ to ’for’

A: I don’t think that’s a rule at all, but in this case, it "to" is arguably clearer in (C): "techniques used to accomplish X" more clearly establishes causality than "techniques for accomplishing." I’m not sure that it’s a great reason to choose (C), though. I think the noun modifier "that" is the biggest problem in (E) -- I just don’t think that we have a great reason to "reach back" behind the prepositional phrase there.

Q: Can you discuss on the timing?

A: I think we’ve maybe discussed it in an earlier chat, but the crappy thing about verbal is that there isn’t much you can do strategically. If you’re a slow reader, then life is hard. I could say that you should read an RC passage in X minutes, but then how does that help you? If you need X+1 minutes to read it well, then you’ll spend the X minutes, and then get annihilated by the questions. You can’t "speed up" on verbal just because you want to. It stinks, but that’s reality.
Over time, you can become a faster reader, perhaps. And on EVERYTHING, you can become more efficient if you’re really doing things the right way. But rushing through passages -- or sentences -- just doesn’t help. It makes things worse, because you could miss a really easy question, and then you’re in huge trouble on an adaptive test.

Q: There are rumors that the RC's are getting harder

A: those rumors of "harder passages" seem to come around every once in a while, and I can assure you that they’re garbage. The test is far too tightly controlled for that: the GMAT’s job is to ensure that a test-taker’s experience in September 2017 is the same as that of a test-taker in February 2013. Otherwise, the scores aren’t comparable or fair. So I can promise you that the test isn’t fundamentally getting harder, and neither are the RC passages.

Q: Suppose I am able to answer only the first 30 questions in the stipulated time, then its not wise to guess the last 11 right? How to handle such scenarios so that we can manage the time efficiently

A: in that case... well, the bad news is that you’re in trouble if you’re chasing an elite score, and you can only answer 30 questions in 75 minutes. It’s a terrible thing to say, but if you’re in that situation, then you’re facing the long, hard task of simply becoming a better, faster, more efficient reader (and SC-analyzer). It stinks, but there’s no strategy that can help you much in that case.

Q: giving up on Verbal is not easy since we have spent lot of time reading it and understanding , unlike quant. So is there a way we can make an educated guess and move on? Or when is it right time to give up on a question or how can we get an incorrect question wrong faster

A: That’s exactly the terrible thing about verbal: by the time that you realize that you’re in trouble, you’ve already spent something like 80% of the time you’ll need to answer the question. Guessing doesn’t save you much on verbal, and there’s really no way to glance at the question and quickly determine that it’s hard for you. (In quant, of course, it might take you only 20 or 30 seconds in some cases to realize that you have no idea what to do.) I wish I had a better answer to this, but there’s no way to save time by guessing, really. Sure, if you’re torturing yourself over those last two answer choices, then at some point, you’ll have to surrender and move on. But it might take you two minutes to get to that point -- which is why I generally tell people that there’s not much you can do in terms of timing strategy, other than working on your skills (and efficiency!) in general, and then guessing a little bit at the very end of the section if you have to.
This is a little bit academic, but I’ve been watching average GMAT scores change radically over the ~17 years I’ve been doing this stuff. Composite scores are up by about 40 points. Quant scores? Up by a ton -- 6-8 points, something like that. Verbal scores? Haven’t budged. Test-takers are working harder than ever at the GMAT, and it pays off on the quant section, on average... but verbal is really hard to improve. Part of it is that you can’t recognize a hard question until you’ve done most of the work to answer it. It’s awful.
One quick thing you CAN do for timing strategy: you might want to count your RC passages when you take a verbal test. Why? Well, you’ll always see 4 passages on an official test. And personally, I find them intimidating if I’m running out of time -- or just getting tired. If I’m on question #33 and I know that I still have one more RC passage, that’s useful information. If you’re running out of time but you’re good at RC, then you might guess a couple of times so that you can tackle the RC passage. Or the opposite might be true: if you’re running out of time but RC is a relative weakness, maybe you spend your energy being accurate on the others, and prepare to guess your way through the RC passage.
The crappy thing about verbal is that there aren’t a lot of "tricks" that work. There aren’t even all that many things that are "always wrong" on SC -- most of the things presented as "always wrong" in a test-prep book have an occasional exception. So verbal is absolutely about A) precision of reading, and B) logic. Grammar is important, sure -- but notice that the verbal section isn’t called "reading and grammar." It’s called "verbal reasoning", and that tells us something about what the test-makers are thinking.
Those "beginner’s guides" to RC, CR, SC that I linked to earlier are mostly focused on technique, skills, and logic. No real "tricks" in there. The GMAT is a very well-designed test, and it’s pretty much impervious to "tricks." (I have huge reservations about WHAT the test measures and how it’s used by MBA programs, but it’s really, really well-designed.)

Q: Myth or Fact: If we get 7-10 700+ level questions incorrect in Verbal, then the chances of getting a V40+ are few.

A: I would think of it this way: as most of you know, the number of questions you miss on the GMAT doesn’t really determine your score. The important thing is WHICH questions you miss. So if you miss 7-10 really easy ones, you have ZERO chance at a 40+. If you nail all of the easier ones, but you ONLY miss 7-10 really tough ones, then you’ll still have a really good chance at a 40.

Q: I am confused about this: somebody gets Q50, V40 gets 710 whereas someone else with the same breakup gets 730 or even 740? Why is there so much fluctuation?

A: Basically, there’s a lot of rounding going on here. Test-taker #1 gets a 49.5Q/39.5V, and test-taker #2 gets a 50.49Q/40.49V. Both round to 50Q/40V, but the performances are different enough -- especially at that elite end of the scale -- to give them different composites.

Q: I understand that but i didn’t take any CATs before my actual GMAT exams. Quant has improved so in order to tackle verbal in a month what’s the best strategy. I am mid 30’s in Verbal (pretty positive)

A: it sounds like there’s a lot of variation in your verbal scores. That’s a sign of some inconsistent approaches to things. I suspect that you’re missing some easier questions on one day, and then getting them right on the next... unless the verbal scores you mentioned earlier weren’t from GMATPreps or official tests
if somebody has only one month to improve verbal, then the biggest area of focus should probably be SC. That’s the easiest thing to improve quickly. I’m not suggesting that you should neglect RC and CR, but if your reading precision isn’t great -- and that’s the most important thing on RC/CR -- then it might take more than a month to really improve.
"7 reasons your GMAT score fell article" should contain some insights. One reason you might consider LSATs: they’re really, really consistent in terms of difficulty, so your performance on each set of 25 Qs should be about the same. If not, it’s a sign that the inconsistency is really ingrained in you somehow.
LSATs aren’t perfect -- and you’ll find them difficult -- but they might give you some ideas on the consistency thing. More here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39365.html

Q: What abut IR section.. What kind of strategy we need to follow for IR.. it’s a hard part...

A: I don’t want to spend too much time on IR here (it’s not really verbal, exactly), but it’s actually an interesting thing: for the first 5-6 years that IR has been around, MBA programs really didn’t care about it. (That’s very slowly beginning to change now.) So I told my students not to waste energy on it, since it was at the beginning of the test (and that’s changed, too, with the section selection options). I told everybody to skip an IR question if it looked annoying, and just concentrate on carefully, accurately, methodically answering the 8-9 questions that look easiest on IR -- since IR is NOT adaptive. That’s the only thing I ever said about it, really. And my students scores tended to go up on it. So take that with a grain of salt, but I would concentrate on answering 8-9 questions really, really well... because it’s almost impossible to answer 12 of them carefully in 30 minutes. IR is super-time-pressured, unless you’re a ridiculous beast.
I’d also argue that a lot of what you’re studying on quant and CR will help you on IR. So unless you have a compelling reason to score a 7 or 8 on it, I’m still not sure that it’s worth spending much study time specifically on IR questions. But that’s just my opinion -- some people do have specific reasons why they need to do really, really well on it.

Q: I seem to have exhausted all the GMATPrep official tests, and I want to have a rough estimate of my score before I take the GMAT exam. Is there anyway I can get a good estimate? I generally rely on Veritas practice tests as a reliable indicator.

A: here’s not much you can do to get a reliable score -- especially on verbal -- once you’ve exhausted all 6 GMATPreps. It’s unfortunate, but there’s not much you can do. For some people, the scores from Veritas or MGMAT or wherever will be accurate, but in general, they really aren’t the same thing at all... though they can certainly be worthwhile for practicing your timing and stamina and all of that.
GMAT Verbal has a finite number of concepts tested. If you *really* review enough official questions and internalize them, you will see a sizeable improvement in your score. Here’s the thing - the only way to test if you have truly internalized a concept is to come back to a a list of questions that you attempted, say, two weeks back. If you do not have a 100% accuracy, you should give yourself some hard time.

Q: But how would that work? If i get back to same verbal questions, i would know the answer.

A: If you did 50 verbal official questions and got 15 of them wrong (GMAT Club workbook is fantastic to track them), try to go back to those 15 questions 10-15 days later. You shouldn’t be surprised if you don’t get a 100% hit rate on those. That way, you will be able to triangulate the areas that you *really* need to work on.

Q: Any tips on making study notes for SC.

A: I don’t have a good answer to it, though. SC is mostly about logic, but there are some grammar fundamentals that are helpful -- though perhaps fewer than some people may think, since there aren’t all that many absolute rules on this test. Study notes might help with those fundamentals, but I don’t have any particular advice on what those notes should look like. Just don’t let SC turn into a memorization game: logic and meaning matter far more in the long run. More here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-sc- ... 44623.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
How about a topic of Tenses and Comparison for the next week?
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [4]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos