Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 13:18 It is currently 28 May 2024, 13:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [34]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [11]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Re: John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, [#permalink]
deucebigalow wrote:
John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home, they featured elaborate meals of local fish and lobster, famous guests, and late nights.

(A) John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home, they featured

(B) Parties were held in one of the most social U.S. president’s home, John F. Kennedy, and they featured

(C) John F. Kennedy, who was one of the most social U.S. presidents in his family home, held parties that featured

(D) John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home that featured

(E) In his family home, John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties that featured

(A) John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home, they featured - incorrect meaning

(B) Parties were held in one of the most social U.S. president’s home, John F. Kennedy, and they featured - passive and same error as A.

(C) John F. Kennedy, who was one of the most social U.S. presidents in his family home, held parties that featured .- incorrect meaning

(D) John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home that featured - again meaning problem

(E) In his family home, John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties that featured - correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
this question is interesting as veritas has in a previous question said "Remember: “That”
clauses are not nearly as strict as “which” clauses and can modify a noun that
is not directly beside it."
the question was "Johnny held parties for his kids that featured clowns, numerous exotic
birds, and lots of food."
GMATNinja please help with your expert opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Classic example of read the whole text.

I narrowed it down to D or E, using slash and burn, and incorrectly marked D without reading the whole sentence once again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
E for me, but could any one explain the usage of *that* in option D ??

Isn’t *in his family home* a modifier for the parties ?

Moreover, if you notice, *in his family home* is a prepositional phrase. So *that* could refer to the parties in option D?

I chose E because that has a clear antecedent in option E.

usage of *that* in option D is ambiguous is what makes option D incorrect?

Usually *that* and *which* modify the noun they touch, but that isn’t always the case. They just have to have a logical antecedent. Remember that popular question from the official guide —-> Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington, which ........ // here *which* is correctly modifying *letters* ..

Could any of the experts/ members of gmat club/ explain this phenomenon??

daagh egmat GMATNinja chetan2u

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
E for me, but could any one explain the usage of *that* in option D ??

Isn’t *in his family home* a modifier for the parties ?

Moreover, if you notice, *in his family home* is a prepositional phrase. So *that* could refer to the parties in option D?

I chose E because that has a clear antecedent in option E.

usage of *that* in option D is ambiguous is what makes option D incorrect?

Usually *that* and *which* modify the noun they touch, but that isn’t always the case. They just have to have a logical antecedent. Remember that popular question from the official guide —-> Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington, which ........ // here *which* is correctly modifying *letters* ..

Could any of the experts/ members of gmat club/ explain this phenomenon??

Posted from my mobile device

The reason why "that" cannot modify "parties" is because it is modifying the preposition phrase with a noun.
There is a rule that states that the modifier can skip the prepositional phrase ONLY if the preceding prepositional phrase is needed in that position and cannot be placed elsewhere.
However, in this case, "In his family house" can be placed anywhere without changing the meaning of the sentence so the rule doesn't apply here. This means that "that" modifier cannot skip "house" to get to "parties"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM