Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 09:54 It is currently 04 May 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Booth v. Wharton

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73016 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GPA: 3
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Booth ($$$) v. Wharton [#permalink]
Kudos
There is no way Wharton is worth $100k more than Booth. No. Freakin'. Way.

Unless Penn is willing to negotiate, you should def take the money and enjoy the Windy City!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1361 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
mbaapplicant222 wrote:
Hello,

Got amazing news this week that I was accepted to both Booth and Wharton. Booth gave me a large fellowship package (~100k), but, unfortunately, Wharton did not offer any fellowships or grants. I am going to try to speak with the admissions people about this, however, I may prove unsuccessful. I would prefer Wharton, but 100k less in debt is huge for only a small trade off.

Congrats for both great schools :-)

I agree with you, If Wahrton is your dream. Graduating from school with less burden is awesome option for your life though. It seems Booth likes you and offered this huge amount.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I continue to struggle with this. I am trying to quantify the decision as much as possible but it's a hard pull. I have narrowed it down to the following positives for each:

Wharton
- Brand name (I am currently in finance and intend to work internationally where it holds sway)
- Placement (Wharton has better non-IB finance placement)
- Established older alumni base
- Proximity to NYC
- Classmates (maybe I am wrong, but I get the feeling that Wharton has a lot of people who just missed out on Harvard/Stanford)
-Warmer

Booth
- $$$
- Active young alumni
- Amazing professors
- Amazing city - it's a cheaper NYC

I feel that whatever decision I make it, I will regret it. Either I regret spending a lot for marginal gains, or I regret losing the placement bump and network of Wharton. I had been completely swayed to Booth, but my roommate contextualized that the difference is less than 2 bonus cycles... And now I am lost again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
mbaapplicant222 wrote:
I continue to struggle with this. I am trying to quantify the decision as much as possible but it's a hard pull. I have narrowed it down to the following positives for each:

Wharton
- Brand name (I am currently in finance and intend to work internationally where it holds sway)
- Proximity to NYC
- Classmates (maybe I am wrong, but I get the feeling that Wharton has a lot of people who just missed out on Harvard/Stanford)
-Warmer

Booth
- $$$
- Active young alumni
- Amazing professors

I feel that whatever decision I make it, I will regret it. Either I regret spending a lot for marginal gains, or I regret losing the placement bump and network of Wharton. I had been completely swayed to Booth, but my roommate contextualized that the difference is less than 2 bonus cycles... And now I am lost again.

Given your thought process, go to Wharton. The $100K will be forgotten in the long run.
The reason is... you'll have greater regrets if you go to Booth, than if you go to Wharton. $100K is just that... $100K. Its not the end of the world money.. and you'll be able to afford it overall. You only do an MBA once.. go to a place which will satisfy you the most.

Personally, I'd have chosen Booth.. but that's because I have no fascination with the Wharton name.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stoiczoan wrote:
mbaapplicant222 wrote:

Wharton
- Proximity to NYC
-Warmer

Booth
- $$$
- Active young alumni
- Amazing professors

Given your thought process, go to Wharton. The $100K will be forgotten in the long run.
The reason is... you'll have greater regrets if you go to Booth, than if you go to Wharton. $100K is just that... $100K. Its not the end of the world money.. and you'll be able to afford it overall. You only do an MBA once.. go to a place which will satisfy you the most.

Personally, I'd have chosen Booth.. but that's because I have no fascination with the Wharton name.

Thank you! Could you expand on your reasons btw? Any additional information would be helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
mbaapplicant222 wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:
mbaapplicant222 wrote:

Wharton
- Proximity to NYC
-Warmer

Booth
- $$$
- Active young alumni
- Amazing professors

Thank you! Could you expand on your reasons btw? Any additional information would be helpful!

I'm assuming you want me to expand on my reasons for preferring Booth over Wharton?
- my post MBA goal is consulting which I'd get a shot at with both Booth & Wharton
- $100K
- I don't have a huge personal fascination with Wharton brand.. not sure exactly why.. maybe the quant heavy/non-collaborative atmosphere perception has influenced me.. and also that it has a huge class size (~850)

In case you were asking me to expand more on my reasoning behind why you should choose Wharton -
- you work in finance, and seem to prefer the Wharton brand much more over Booth
- you are right, Wharton may be tad bit better with non-IB finance recruiting
- you will definitely regret your decision to join Booth specially since the $100K benefit will not be apparent in daily life.. and you'd always be wondering.. "what if"..

Basically, chances of decision regret are much higher if you choose Booth, and comparatively much lower if you choose to spend $100K extra and join Wharton..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
I think you should only consider Wharton if what you want is not readily available at Booth, namely opportunities with select hedge funds, venture capitals funds, and private equity funds. That's not to say you won't get in through Booth (a handful of my classmates of mine at Yale got into Bridgewater and KKR; though I'd say they're exceptions not the norm), but you'll maximize your chances at Wharton.

With the exception of raising your own search fund, if working at a buy side firm is not high on your list, you should take that scholarship money.

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
Send PM
stoiczoan wrote:
mbaapplicant222 wrote:
stoiczoan wrote:

I'm assuming you want me to expand on my reasons for preferring Booth over Wharton?
- my post MBA goal is consulting which I'd get a shot at with both Booth & Wharton
- $100K
- I don't have a huge personal fascination with Wharton brand.. not sure exactly why.. maybe the quant heavy/non-collaborative atmosphere perception has influenced me.. and also that it has a huge class size (~850)

In case you were asking me to expand more on my reasoning behind why you should choose Wharton -
- you work in finance, and seem to prefer the Wharton brand much more over Booth
- you are right, Wharton may be tad bit better with non-IB finance recruiting
- you will definitely regret your decision to join Booth specially since the $100K benefit will not be apparent in daily life.. and you'd always be wondering.. "what if"..

Basically, chances of decision regret are much higher if you choose Booth, and comparatively much lower if you choose to spend $100K extra and join Wharton..

Thank you for providing both explanations, I meant the former but the latter was helpful as well. I think together they have helped me refine the question. Namely, what is the difference in placement immediately out of the MBA. Two years post-graduation, the brand difference is negligible at best, but recruiting efforts can vary widely. For consulting and IB, the difference in recruiting in null. However, I do not want to do either of the two.

I am currently in PE and looking to transition to impact investing. However, I would like to maintain PE as my fallback if impact investing does not work out. Wharton has a better program for both of these, but how much better is the question? $100k better? Urg...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wilch wrote:
I think you should only consider Wharton if what you want is not readily available at Booth, namely opportunities with select hedge funds, venture capitals funds, and private equity funds. That's not to say you won't get in through Booth (a handful of my classmates of mine at Yale got into Bridgewater and KKR; though I'd say they're exceptions not the norm), but you'll maximize your chances at Wharton.

With the exception of raising your own search fund, if working at a buy side firm is not high on your list, you should take that scholarship money.

Which is exactly the issue, I am currently in PE looking to switch to impact investing, and I feel wharton is stronger at both.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
i had several friends at wharton and the impact investing / PE opportunities are more or less the same between Booth and Wharton. If you were dead set on PE and were deciding between booth and HBS/Stanford, I think this would be tougher but Booth at 100K less is a no brainer here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jessepinkman wrote:
i had several friends at wharton and the impact investing / PE opportunities are more or less the same between Booth and Wharton. If you were dead set on PE and were deciding between booth and HBS/Stanford, I think this would be tougher but Booth at 100K less is a no brainer here.

Really? Wow that's interesting. Perhaps the Wharton name still holds more sway amongst applicants in the finance industry because that's not the general perception. It is supported by the stats however:

Wharton: 9.4% full time PE&VC
Booth: 7.1% full time PE&VC
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
mbaapplicant222 wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

Really? Wow that's interesting. Perhaps the Wharton name still holds more sway amongst applicants in the finance industry because that's not the general perception. It is supported by the stats however:

Wharton: 9.4% full time PE&VC
Booth: 7.1% full time PE&VC

Wharton tends to get more applicants coming in with PE/VC backgrounds given its proximity to NYC which is the best predictor of getting a PE/VC job after business school. This is largely anecdotal but given a comparable incoming background, there is little difference in post-school outcomes between Wharton and Booth.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts