Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [40]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [10]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [3]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1752 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Re: The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century th [#permalink]
PiyushK wrote:
NEW PROJECT!: Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point for best explanation

Passage-28 GMATPrep RCs-Collection(Main article)
The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century that small firms do not perform an important role in Western economies. Official policies in many countries have favored large units of production because there were strong reasons to believe that large firms were superior to small firms in virtually every aspect of economic performance--productivity, technological progress, and job security and compensation. However, in the 1970s, evidence began to suggest that small firms in some countries were outperforming their larger counterparts. Perhaps the best example of this trend was in the steel industry, where new firms entered the market in the form of "mini-mills," and small-firm employment expanded, while many large companies shut down plants and reduced employment. Although no systematic evidence exists to determine unequivocally whether smaller units of production are as efficient as large firms or are, in fact, more efficient, some researchers have concluded that the accumulated evidence to date indicates that small firms are at least not burdened with an inherent size disadvantage.

Thus, an alternative view has emerged in the economics literature, arguing that small firms make several important contributions to industrial markets. First, small firms are often the source of the kind of innovative activity that leads to technological change. Small firms generate market turbulence that creates additional dimensions of competition, and they also promote international competition through newly created niches. Finally, small firms in recent years have generated the preponderant share of new jobs.

However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies, and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations. An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones. While a "small firm" is often defined as an enterprise with fewer than 500 employees, research studies of small firms use a wide variety of definitions.
1. The passage is primarily concerned with
A dismissing a challenge to a traditional viewpoint
B suggesting a new solution to a long-standing problem
C resolving a conflict between two competing viewpoints
D discussing the emergence of an alternative viewpoint
E defending an alternative viewpoint against possible counter evidence

2. The passage suggests which of the following about the empirical study of small firms' role?
A. Anecdotal evidence does not support the theory that small firms' role is significant.
B. Degrees of market turbulence are the primary indicator of small firms' role.
C. An examination of new niches created by small firms has provided important data for the analysis of such firms' role.
D. Case studies have provided reliable evidence to answer major questions concerning small firms' role.
E. A more precise definition of the term "small firm" is crucial to making a conclusive analysis about small firms' role.

3. Which of the following best describes the organization of the first paragraph of the passage?
A. A viewpoint is introduced, counter evidence is presented, and a new perspective is suggested.
B. Opposing viewpoints are discussed, and evidence is provided that refutes both of those viewpoints.
C. A hypothesis is described, supported with specific evidence, and then reaffirmed.
D. An alternative viewpoint is presented, criticized, and dismissed in light of new evidence.
E. Opposing viewpoints are presented, discussed, and then found to be more similar than previously supposed.

4. According to the passage, an important contribution of small firms to industrial markets is that small firms
A. operate more efficiently than large firms
B. offer high job security and compensation
C. cause international competition to decrease
D. help prevent market turbulence from affecting competition
E. frequently undertake activities that result in technological change

Piyush,

first of all My Sincere thanks to you for putting up these passages on gmatclub .
Could you please tell me why A is wrong for this question ?
2. The passage suggests which of the following about the empirical study of small firms' role?
A. Anecdotal evidence does not support the theory that small firms' role is significant.
C. An examination of new niches created by small firms has provided important data for the analysis of such firms' role.
D. Case studies have provided reliable evidence to answer major questions concerning small firms' role.
E. A more precise definition of the term "small firm" is crucial to making a conclusive analysis about small firms' role.

thanks
Lucky
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century th [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Lucky2783 ,

Question 2: The passage suggests which of the following about the empirical study of small firms' role?
Look at the last passage ,which talks about how empirical knowledge about small firms has been generated .

the conclusion of the third paragraph :
"An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones. While a "small firm" is often defined as an enterprise with fewer than 500 employees, research studies of small firms use a wide variety of definitions."

So having a precise definition of small firm will help in identifying the role played by small firms .
E answers this and hence is the right choice.

A talks about the problem whereas E talks about the solution for the problem.

Regards,
Manish Khare

Press Kudos if you like this post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can someone please explain why A is wrong for the first question? I chose A because of the following reason.

1. The first paragraph talks about the traditional view - large firm performs a more important role. Then a new viewpoint is brought up.
2. The second paragraph talks about some of the contributions small firms make.
3. The third paragraph talks about the downside of the empirical study and a major problem of in the anecdotal studies.

What it seems to me is that the 3rd paragraph dismisses the new viewpoint brought up in the 1st paragraph. Where did my reasoning go wrong?

Thanks,
Frank
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts

How to interpret Option E of Question 1
" defending an alternative viewpoint against possible counter evidence"

Confused here , what is alternate view point refers and what counter evidence?
If alternate view point is about small industries being better than large than passage correctly defends it against counter view(large industries being better)

What am I missing here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
JarvisR wrote:
Time taken 10 mins
D discussing the emergence of an alternative viewpoint
"Author is neutral in the argument.First a traditional view point is presented and then and then counterview evidences are presented.The discussion is continued in the second para by mentioning the pros of small firms.In last para, the author mentions why the the new evidences are inadequate to answer major questions concerning the role of small firms."
So overal Para is discussing the counter evidences.

"An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones. While a "small firm" is often defined as an enterprise with fewer than 500 employees, research studies of small firms use a wide variety of definitions."

3. Which of the following best describes the organization of the first paragraph of the passage?
A. A viewpoint is introduced, counter evidence is presented, and a new perspective is suggested.
"The view has prevailed for the better....
blah blah
However, in the 1970s, evidence began to suggest that small firms in some countries were outperforming their larger counterparts.
blah blah
Although no systematic evidence exists to determine unequivocally whether smaller units of production are as efficient as large firms or are, in fact, more efficient, some researchers have concluded that the accumulated evidence to date indicates that small firms are at least not burdened with an inherent size disadvantage.
"

4. According to the passage, an important contribution of small firms to industrial markets is that small firms
E. frequently undertake activities that result in technological change
"small firms are often the source of the kind of innovative activity that leads to technological change"

Hi,

Thanks for your explanation however I have certain doubts on how 1A and 3B are incorrect choice for 1st and 3rd question . As per my reasoning author raised a viewpoint then raised opposite view point and den in 2nd para pros of small firm and 3rd para how we cannot conclude anything and evidence is inadequate , so cant see where the author raised an alternative viewpoint or suggested a new perspective as mentioned in 1 and 3 OA choices .

Would really appreciate your help here. Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards
Megha
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 7 mins and 50 seconds , including 2 mins 10 seconds to read
-The author does not state an opinion
- The author talks about a view point , provides a new perspective and then discusses the new perspective

Option D – Correct – The author is discussing a new view point/alternative

The above excerpt suggests that the difficulty with the empirical study is that the definition of a ―small firm‖ has not been established. Hence option (E).

"The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century that small firms do not perform an important role in Western economies." - View point

"However, in the 1970s, evidence began to suggest that small firms in some countries were outperforming their larger counterparts. Perhaps the best example of this trend was in the steel industry, where new firms entered the market in the form of "mini-mills," and small-firm employment expanded, while many large companies shut down plants and reduced employment." - Counter Evidence

"some researchers have concluded that the accumulated evidence to date indicates that small firms are at least not burdened with an inherent size disadvantage."- New perspective

Answer A

"First, small firms are often the source of the kind of innovative activity that leads to technological change."
Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:
4 min 23 seconds All correct
Wow.
New approach created.
:) .
which works wonders for me.

Hi Nightmare007,

Could you please throw some light on the "new approach" which worked for you?

Although I took just 7 mins on the passage and got all the answers right, I have noticed this happens only if I can relate to the passage. On the contrary, I screw up some medium difficulty passages with a low accuracy , if I cannot relate to the topics.
So just trying to discover various approaches by which I can consistently do well, regardless of the topic of the passage.

Thanks !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM

This question was tricky for me .

However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies, and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations. An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones. While a "small firm" is often defined as an enterprise with fewer than 500 employees, research studies of small firms use a wide variety of definitions.

Only A and E are worth comparing
But from the excerpt we can not deduce A as it does not give any evidence that small firms' role is significant or not significant all it says says that any conclusion can not be drawn from the said evidence . :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
PraktanP wrote:
can anybody explain what is wrong with option A in Q2?

However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies, and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMATNinja chetan2u TommyWallach egmat DmitryFarber mikemcgarry
please explain q1. The primary purpose has to be the summary of summaries of the paras, ie. we have to consider all the viewpoints (+-) and then summarise it in 1 line. I was stuck between options A and D. Though I answered D out of guess between the two I want to know where my though process lacks. Option A is more well defined and takes all the viewpoints into account and then summarises it and option D is more like a title of the passage. Para structure is - 1. belief...counter evidence.. 2. support to counter evidence. 3.refute to the study suggesting study is not relevant. Then how is it not A?

Anyone with an explanation is welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 643
Send PM
T700ISB wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Wow.
New approach created.

Hi Nightmare007,

Although I took just 7 mins on the passage and got all the answers right, I have noticed this happens only if I can relate to the passage. On the contrary, I screw up some medium difficulty passages with a low accuracy , if I cannot relate to the topics.
So just trying to discover various approaches by which I can consistently do well, regardless of the topic of the passage.

Thanks !

The very trick is GMAT want you to read long passages (especially long passages) at they should be read . The effective reading would be like this:

The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century that
small firms do not perform an important role in Western economies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, in the 1970s, evidence began to suggest that small firms in
some countries were outperforming their larger counterparts.
-------------------------------------------------

Thus, an alternative view has emerged in the economics literature,
arguing that small firms make several important contributions to industrial
markets.-----------------------------------------------------------------

However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small
firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies,
and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions
concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations.

Now Questions :
Q1. Main point: can be easily understood by above reading comfortably.
Q2. Empirical study : by last paragraph one can easily locate where the particular detail lies.
Q3. Point of first para : a general wisdom then evidence that contradicts it .
Q4. Contribution to industrial market: by second paragraph one can easily locate where the particular detail lies

So what we get here 2 idea questions ,which can be answered without going to passage , and 2 detail questions , of which we know the exact location.
Time taken : 3 min. approx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century th [#permalink]
Annotating the Passage

Reading the RC Passage is an Art,Knowing what to read and what not to read will make the difference. Lets try to first Annotate the Passage then hit the Questions ,

P1:

The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century that small firms do not perform an important role in Western economies. Official policies in many countries have favored large units of production because there were strong reasons to believe that large firms were superior to small firms in virtually every aspect of economic performance—productivity, technological progress, and job security and compensation. However, in the 1970s, evidence began to suggest that small firms in some countries were outperforming their larger counterparts. Perhaps the best example of this trend was in the steel industry, where new firms entered the market in the form of "mini-mills," and small-firm employment expanded, while many large companies shut down plants and reduced employment. Although no systematic evidence exists to determine unequivocally whether smaller units of production are as efficient as large firms or are, in fact, more efficient, some researchers have concluded that the accumulated evidence to date indicates that small firms are at least not burdened with an inherent size disadvantage.

P2:

Thus, an alternative view has emerged in the economics literature, arguing that small firms make several important contributions to industrial markets.First, small firms are often the source of the kind of innovative activity that leads to technological change. Small firms generate market turbulence that creates additional dimensions of competition, and they also promote international competition through newly created niches. Finally, small firms in recent years have generated the preponderant share of new jobs.

P3:

However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies, and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations. An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones. While a "small firm" is often defined as an enterprise with fewer than 500 employees, research studies of small firms use a wide variety of definitions

Main Idea: Traditional View Point is introduced then Alternative view point introduced and Finally Author is not quite convincing with the definition of the Small Industry

Quote:

(A) dismissing a challenge to a traditional viewpoint
(B) suggesting a new solution to a long-standing problem
(C) resolving a conflict between two competing viewpoints
(D) discussing the emergence of an alternative viewpoint
(E) defending an alternative viewpoint against possible counter evidence

C resonates with the Main Idea, Rests are crap

Quote:

(A) Anecdotal evidence does not support the theory that small firms' role is significant.
(B) Degrees of market turbulence are the primary indicator of small firms' role.
(C) An examination of new niches created by small firms has provided important data for the analysis of such firms' role.
(D) Case studies have provided reliable evidence to answer major questions concerning small firms' role.
(E) A more precise definition of the term "small firm" is crucial to making a conclusive analysis about small firms' role.

In P3 Empirical study has been described A,B,C,D are blatantly wrong as options can not be inferred from the passage

An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones. While a "small firm" is often defined as an enterprise with fewer than 500 employees, research studies of small firms use a wide variety of definitions

Option E is correct

Quote:

(A) A viewpoint is introduced, counter evidence is presented, and a new perspective is suggested.
(B) Opposing viewpoints are discussed, and evidence is provided that refutes both of those viewpoints.
(C) A hypothesis is described, supported with specific evidence, and then reaffirmed.
(D) An alternative viewpoint is presented, criticized, and dismissed in light of new evidence.
(E) Opposing viewpoints are presented, discussed, and then found to be more similar than previously supposed.

In P1 Traditional view point is introduced then from 1970 onward Small farm has started to outweigh the Large Firm and a new Perspective came into picture that Small firms are not in disadvantage because of their Size .

Option A clearly says that

Quote:

(A) operate more efficiently than large firms
(B) offer high job security and compensation
(C) cause international competition to decrease
(D) help prevent market turbulence from affecting competition
(E) frequently undertake activities that result in technological change

In P2 Contribution of Small Farm to Industrial Market has been described, A,B,C,D are blatantly wrong as Options are 180 degree apart from what has been described

First, small firms are often the source of the kind of innovative activity that leads to technological change.

Option E
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 437 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century th [#permalink]
Dear Experts,
Kindly help with Q-2.
There is a confusion between Option A & E, as Both are mentioned in the passage.

Supporting Option A: However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies, and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations.

Supporting Option E: An additional difficulty is that it is not obvious what criteria one should use to distinguish small firms from large ones.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
GMAT 1: 530 Q36 V27
Send PM
cool16 wrote:
T700ISB wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Wow.
New approach created.

Hi Nightmare007,

Thanks !

The very trick is GMAT want you to read long passages (especially long passages) at they should be read . The effective reading would be like this:

The view has prevailed for the better part of the twentieth century that
small firms do not perform an important role in Western economies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, in the 1970s, evidence began to suggest that small firms in
some countries were outperforming their larger counterparts.
-------------------------------------------------

Thus, an alternative view has emerged in the economics literature,
arguing that small firms make several important contributions to industrial
markets.-----------------------------------------------------------------

However, empirical knowledge about the relative roles of large and small
firms is generally based upon anecdotal evidence and case studies,
and such evidence has proved inadequate to answer major questions
concerning the role of small firms across various industries and nations.

Now Questions :
Q1. Main point: can be easily understood by above reading comfortably.
Q2. Empirical study : by last paragraph one can easily locate where the particular detail lies.
Q3. Point of first para : a general wisdom then evidence that contradicts it .
Q4. Contribution to industrial market: by second paragraph one can easily locate where the particular detail lies

So what we get here 2 idea questions ,which can be answered without going to passage , and 2 detail questions , of which we know the exact location.
Time taken : 3 min. approx

Has this approach worked for you in all kind of passages? Passages of higher difficulty, different subjects, and different lengths?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM