Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Wharton Applicants: 2019 Intake - Discussion [#permalink]
NateFromHBS wrote:
gmatexam439 : I feel obliged to share this guide on the etiquette for reaching out to students and alumni. It also has some useful stuff on which questions are helpful to reach out about and which are not. Good luck with reaching out!

Thank you for sharing the guide. I am really glad that I keep my questions specific to my journey and story that's why I am really having a difficult time collecting general information. I understand that MBA students are very busy and I don't want to end up wasting their time. :-D
Send PM
Hi All,

Wharton's online webinar is being conducted on 24 August.

Visit the following URL for details:
https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/event/mba ... n-webinar/

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM

Guyz we are gonna conduct a chat session with a Wharton Admit this Sunday, so update your calendars accordingly and get ready to shoot some questions !!

More details coming soon!! STAY TUNED ......
Send PM
Bookmarks

Live chat with Wharton Admit

Hi Guys, This Sunday we have a chat with Wharton admit in chat room. During the chat, you'll have the opportunity to ask questions about applying to Wharton's Two-Year MBA program. So take this as an opportunity, do some homework and fire away smart questions.

Date & Time: 12 August 2018; 09:30 AM EST
Join Link: GMAT Club Chat Room

Make the most of this opportunity :)
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:

Live chat with Wharton Admit

Hi Guys, This Sunday we have a chat with Wharton admit in chat room. During the chat, you'll have the opportunity to ask questions about applying to Wharton's Two-Year MBA program. So take this as an opportunity, do some homework and fire away smart questions.

Date & Time: 12 August 2018; 09:30 AM EST
Join Link: GMAT Club Chat Room

Make the most of this opportunity :)

Guyz, the chat is starting in another 5 minutes. Be ready to roll!
Send PM
Kudos

Chat Transcript from our chat session conducted on 12 August 2018 with Wharton Current Student

Q1. Please give details of your profile
My background is - I am from India, did my education at IIT-Delhi (Mechical engineering). After, which I went to Japan, worked at Honda as a project manager and then switched to management consulting in Tokyo.

Q2. So, in your research for Wharton what all parameters did you take into account?
Well, I had the following parameters:
1. Location: I wanted to be close to SF/Silicon Valley as I wanted to be in a tech background. Wharton had something which most schools apart from Stanford and UCLA didn’t have. Wharton has a semester in San Francisco where you can live in the SF campus for one semester.
2. School culture: I wanted to be in a school that had a strong culture and bonding. A lot of people think Wharton might be transacctional (post-the current presidency), and I used to be the same as well but I realized the culture here is extremely supportive to whatever you want to try (and extremely giving). Happy to elaborate later.
3. Growth opportunities and alumni network. Alumni Network is extremely diverse and since the class size is so big, you will literally find a ton of people sharing the same interest as yours. This is not the case with some of the smaller schools. Also, the alumni are response and will definitely respond to your query for any help/advice.

Q3. What is your no. of years of work ex.
2.5 years: engineering/project management
2 years: consulting

Q4. I just had a question regarding informal extracurriculars. The charitable extra-curriculars in country (education especially), have 9 to 5 timings and clash with my job. My extracurriculars are very informal and include mentoring the kids of the underprivileged around me (drivers, sweepers, janitorial staff etc.) and paying for their education as well as guiding the completely uneducated parents on how to best educate their kids. Just wondering if schools like Wharton consider that as extracurricular work, since I have certificate etc. to show for it. I have no certificates for any of it
Yeah, I was in a similar position, to be honest they look for a whole round background and what unique aspect you can offer with your background. Not, everyone is doing a super contribution to society with a laundry list of activities. For me, my extra-ciriculars were focused more on mentoring new graduates and conducting career training for juniors. I was also active in the Fukushima area post disaster helping out the community.

FYI, they don’t ask you for proof of it, but it’s more of an ethical thing (if found later, you can be in big trouble). However, my recommender had apparently put in my mentoring aspect in his recommendation ( I found it out later when he told me a bit) so that probably validated it.

Q5. There is an essay this time "Describe an impactful experience or accomplishment that is not reflected elsewhere on your application. How will you use what you learned through that experience to contribute to the Wharton community? ". How did you connect your experience to the Wharton community?
Hm, we didn’t have the same question as this one, but a similar one, refer below:
Essay 2: Teamwork is at the core of the Wharton MBA experience with each student contributing unique elements to our collaborative culture. How will you contribute to the Wharton community?
A lot of these essays are about what unique thing you can bring to the table. For me, I am an extremely inquisitive person who loves cultural pyschology. (Note: everyone is different in this aspect so you got to think what differentiates you from the rest of people from your background). I used a lot of my personal stories of Japan, and what I learned over there about business and leadership that would be extremely unique and offer perspective on a part of the world that is less understood in the west. I then tied it in how I could apply the learnings to classroom to enhance the cultural understanding of the learnings and bring in a new paradigm of thinking.

Q6. Which component of the Wharton app you found most challenging and how you would advice new applicants to tackle it?
For me, to be honest, it was about digging deep 3 levels down in each aspect of the application and being as specific as possilbe. A lot of students will try to copy paste a laundry list of activities and be extremely shallow int he application. However, my consultant early on was persistent that I narrow my focus and provide more specific concrete examples, which wiuold make for a more impactful and genuine story.
To give an example, I wrote inititally that I want to be a leader that wants to drive change in the technical industry and create value in clean tech. This was extremely shallow and I had to address, what sort of leader do I have to become? (Is it transformational, trasnactional, motivational?), what sort of value is that I am seeking? etc. etc.
This is where your consultant makes a big difference and I would honestly recommend a consultant who would be persistent and upfront about the process and holds his ground instead of someone who is deferring to you all over. For more, on this, refer to my tips on choosing a consultant: https://gmatclub.com/forum/wharton-admi ... 67717.html

Q7. Did you get into the details of curriculm while writing your essays?
I don’t get the question here, do you mind rephrasing it a bit? Are you talking about whether I touched on the courses that Wharton had to offer and how I gained value from those for my goals?
Yes please elucidate that.
TLDR answer: I did address that.
Long answer:
I gave my long term goal of being a business leader (it’s more specific than this), and I wrote the current definiciencies that I have in my toolkit (say, financial knowledge etc.). And I wrote how Wharton would help me in the process. A point to note here is to not just write down course names, but being specific on what you want to learn from a particular course. Also, not to just go for courses alone, but being holistic about all the other activities that Wharton has to offer (for example, you could be a non-profit board fellow or a leader of the restructuing club).

Q8. So roughly 6 weeks left for R1 submission deadline and I guess most of the applicants have started working on the essays. Any specific pointers you would like to provide them regarding essay writing?
Oh jeez, this is going to be quite a stessful time. I started my essays at exactly 5 weeks before deadline (on 19th August after I finished my GMAT). What I will say is that we all go through this process and is literally hell.
1. You might want to get early from work to focus on the essays.
2. I hope you have already done a lot of self introspection already and have chalked a lot of stories that you think are usable
3. Also, second, I suggest you work on multiple essays at once and alternate having reviews from your consultant so that a. he is always busy and there is less of a loss of lead time in reviewing your essays, and b. you can have a more diverse set of stimuli to answer - this helped me out because I was able to incorporate the aspects of the Tuck essay to Wharton essay or vice versa. For example, Day 1: you send your Tuck essay to the consultant for review. Day 2: Work on Wharton essay, Day 3: Work on Harvard and get Tuck back. Day 4: work on Tuck and get back review for Wharton and so on.

Q9. I find it really hard to connect my extracurricular (teaching in a local school) to my job or to my long term goals Can leadership be an underlying common factor or does it have to have a certain flow?
Perhaps you might want to put this question in Wharton profile evaluation page or Ask the Experts thread.

Q10. I have a terrible undergrad GPA - My college gives us percentages and not a GPA - so a 60%, and I understand that Wharton really stresses on the GPA
Well to be honest, I am not sure if it is terrible or not. They look at holistically based on how tough your college was (for example, from what I heard, IITs are super tough, so a 8.0 GPA/8.0 GPA is counted around 4.0/4.0 for theirs but then again it depends as everything is relative). What I woudl say is, to address how, despite the low GPA, you can handle the finance courses (or why it was low, if it is) - with say a high GMAT score. You gotta talk with your consultant about this. And also remember that, they look at your holistic application, if you excel someplace else then they might even overlook this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

Does anyone know about coffee chat in New Delhi on August 17, 2018.
Send PM
Hookipa wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know about coffee chat in New Delhi on August 17, 2018.

Hi Hookipa,

The registration for the event is closed. You can click on the below link for details.

https://www.cvent.com/c/express/95ae972 ... 3463596766

You might want to drop an email to Wharton admission committee. I did the same with Johnson adcoms and they were kind enough to respond to my request.

I hope that helps!
Send PM
Guyz, only about 4 weeks to go! Has any anyone faced any issue with the essay #2?
Send PM
By the way here is some great news for investors ;)

Penn has launched strategic collaboration with Ripple to accelerate innovation in Blockchain and Cryptocurrency. This would be a great opportunity for someone interested in research related to blockchain/cryptocurrency at Wharton.

For more details please refer to the following article: https://news.wharton.upenn.edu/press-re ... ocurrency/

Have a great weekend!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Looking for a little clarification....

Trying to get a gauge by individuals familiar with the program on whether to apply or no. I particularly wish to understand who this Emba really caters to within which industry as well as is this program quant heavy? I have been invited to Booth’s EMBA interview but through a couple calls, was told that you can select how much wuant heavy classes you wish to take. The reason for my asking, as you will see below, is I am not a quant heavy investment manager so i am getting an idea of whether I should apply to Wharton or not. I also have submitted an app to the LBS/Columbia Global program and possibly Yale or Cornell. Below is a bit about me:

- 14 years in the finance industry in a few different areas(10 as Investment Manager & Principal).
- Currently manage $225 mil in AUM across 18 relationships.
- Highest Education: Masters in Finance at Notre Dame - 3.72 GPA
Executive Assessment - 150

Activities - Local grade school involvement with sports, academics as well as fund raising. Ethics workshop with private military high school. Learning French and marathon and ultra marathon endurance racer. Provide pro bono work to local marine and habitat group.
Send PM
Kudos
discodv05 wrote:
Looking for a little clarification....

Trying to get a gauge by individuals familiar with the program on whether to apply or no. I particularly wish to understand who this Emba really caters to within which industry as well as is this program quant heavy? I have been invited to Booth’s EMBA interview but through a couple calls, was told that you can select how much wuant heavy classes you wish to take. The reason for my asking, as you will see below, is I am not a quant heavy investment manager so i am getting an idea of whether I should apply to Wharton or not. I also have submitted an app to the LBS/Columbia Global program and possibly Yale or Cornell. Below is a bit about me:

- 14 years in the finance industry in a few different areas(10 as Investment Manager & Principal).
- Currently manage $225 mil in AUM across 18 relationships.
- Highest Education: Masters in Finance at Notre Dame - 3.72 GPA
Executive Assessment - 150

Activities - Local grade school involvement with sports, academics as well as fund raising. Ethics workshop with private military high school. Learning French and marathon and ultra marathon endurance racer. Provide pro bono work to local marine and habitat group.

Hi,

This is Wharton discussion thread. You might want to post your profile/bschool specific question here https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-profi ... 41059.html

Hope that helps!

Best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Submitted my application on 08/19. Woo!
The waiting game begins :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
gmatexam439

I started with a story on what I did in for my community and then identified classes, clubs, and activities within Wharton that I wanted to be part of. For each example, I tied it back to the lessons I learned from that one community involvment.

Don't overthink! You got this!!
Send PM
OmManiPadmeHbs wrote:
gmatexam439

I started with a story on what I did in for my community and then identified classes, clubs, and activities within Wharton that I wanted to be part of. For each example, I tied it back to the lessons I learned from that one community involvment.

Don't overthink! You got this!!

Hi Bro,

The essay question specifically states that "Describe an impactful experience or accomplishment that is not reflected elsewhere on your application." This part is what is the most annoying thing. Besides, is it fine to write about more than 1 characteristic?

This essay is a really good one .. lol
Send PM
OmManiPadmeHbs wrote:
Submitted my application on 08/19. Woo!
The waiting game begins :)

And this is going to be the biggest wait of your life :-D

I wish that our life would fast forward to December 2018 :lol:
Send PM
Checkout this: https://news.wharton.upenn.edu/press-re ... -alliance/

Wharton and INSEAD renew their alliance. Just imagine the big, global community that you would be part of!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Wharton '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hey guys,

Is the Healthcare MBA a part of the regular MBA or a dual degree or what exactly is it?

And how can we apply?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts