Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Judge Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello! Can someone evaluate my profile? I am planning to apply for R2 this year. (2018)

Background and nationality - Male, Indian, 26,

Education Information
10th - 77%

12th - 84.3% (Maths, Physics & Chemistry)

(2009-2013) B.Tech Architectural Engineering, SRM University, Chennai, India. Score - 7.52/10 (75.2 %)

(2015-2017) Masters in Urban & Regional Planning (Major in Environmental Planning), Center for Environmental & Planning Technology University (CEPT University), Ahmadabad, India. Score - (2.8/4.0)

GMAT: Yet to score. Scored a 660 on my last mock. Aiming for a 700 range score.

Work experience and leadership (4 yrs as of September 1st 2019)
(2017-Till Date) - Assistant Professor, JNA&FA University, Hyderabad, India.
Initiatives & Achievements
1. Daily news before class. As urban planners, I felt the students need to know what’s happening around them. I realized that they lacked the habit of reading a newspaper. I insisted that we have a small news talk daily. It has now become a healthy routine.
2. Created a non-restrictive environment which allowed students to confidently think out of the box
3. Reward with books/movies. Upon completion of an assignment/quiz, I would suggest a movie or a book that is related to one of the topics taught. This would also help the students improve their vocabulary, grammar, speaking & reading skills.
4. Insist digital assignment submissions only. Handwritten assignments submitted turned out to be illegible along with grammatical & spelling errors. Going digital not only rectified the errors, but was an economical & efficient strategy to reduce paper use.
5. Having made my classes interactive & interesting than a traditional one, attendance improved by 40%.

(2013-2015) - Senior Architect, Larsen & Toubro, Hyderabad, India
1. Expedited quantity estimation process. Quantities were being manually calculated from hard copies of drawings -a time consuming, error-prone process. I procured digital copies from the client & estimated the entire quantity precisely in 1/5th of the time.
2. 3D visualization. Engineers on site had difficulty in comprehending certain design elements shown in a 2D plan or drawing. I recreated all such abstruse elements in 3D so that they could easily visualize and execute them with a lower probability of error.
3. Progress of various activities on site was shown using conventional bar charts. I started marking the progress on the floor plans itself with various colors for various activities. It evolved into an interesting but simple visual progress-tracking tool.

Extra-Curricular
1. Short Film Making ( University) - Was part of 2 short films as a cinematographer and an actor. The films promoted the awareness of Swachh Bharat (Clean India Mission) & that of depression as a subtle mental health issue.
2. Lake Rejuvenation Project - Mission Kakatiya (Telangana, India) (Work Place) - Freelanced the design for a lake restoration project opposite one of Larsen & Toubros’ construction site on behalf of the organization. This gesture earned us a goodwill from the local residents.
3. Food Stall during Navratri '2016 (University) - Organized and ran a food stall with a group of friends for 10 days. Those 10 days gave us a small-scale experience on the basics of marketing, supply & demand, customer feedback and crisis management.
4. Student Placement Coordinator (University) - Organized skill development workshops, designed the class profile brochure, interacted with past & potential recruiters & ensured eligibility based short-listing for a class of 114.
5. I have got my own architectural photography blog website up and running. You can visit it at captures.in or on insta at @captures.in .

Post MBA goals
Work in a product management of product development role for a few years before starting my own venture. I know its very broad, but I am still working on refining it further.

Anything else?
My hobbies
1. Electric vehicle design - Interested in automobiles since childhood. Being an eco-conscious individual & a huge fan of Tesla, I'm currently working on designing and building an electric cruiser bike.
2. Photography - The camera gives me the freedom to capture anything I see from my perspective. My subjects are often miniature 3D models, animals, architectural & heritage spaces and natural landscapes
3. Hydroponics - the method of growing plants in only water instead of soil. I liked the idea of growing plants faster & chemical free with less water. A very recent hobby which I'm still cultivating!
4. DIY - I like building my own stuff. I like to create my own solution if i cant find one. I built a custom guitar cause my fingers were too thick for a standard one.
5. Trading - Im a hobby level trader. I work with binary options.

Although I lack international exposure, the class profile at CEPT University comprises of over a 100 students from various states all over the country having a wide diversity in background (I know atleast 2 people from every state in the country) and disciplines ranging from engineering, architecture, geography, law, environmentalists, planners etc. Working with a such a diverse crowd, having different language, different culture and traditions etc helped me to balance the dynamics of our team/group.

Let me know if you need any other detail.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Judge Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello chaitu2424

You have a lot going for you. Strong and unique work ex,, extracurricular activities, decent past acads. Read here yo know what factors to focus on in your essays and profile in general.
Coming to your career goals, definitely need to come to a much more stronger narrative. Tie your long term goals with your past/transferable skills and how an MBA will fill missing gaps. See of reading here helps.
A 700+ GMAT can give you a fighting chance.
Needless to say how you tie in the above in your written application will decide the final outcome.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

chaitu2424 wrote:
Hello! Can someone evaluate my profile? I am planning to apply for R2 this year. (2018)

Background and nationality - Male, Indian, 26,

Education Information
10th - 77%

12th - 84.3% (Maths, Physics & Chemistry)

(2009-2013) B.Tech Architectural Engineering, SRM University, Chennai, India. Score - 7.52/10 (75.2 %)

(2015-2017) Masters in Urban & Regional Planning (Major in Environmental Planning), Center for Environmental & Planning Technology University (CEPT University), Ahmadabad, India. Score - (2.8/4.0)

GMAT: Yet to score. Scored a 660 on my last mock. Aiming for a 700 range score.

Work experience and leadership (4 yrs as of September 1st 2019)
(2017-Till Date) - Assistant Professor, JNA&FA University, Hyderabad, India.
1. Daily news before class. As urban planners, I felt the students need to know what’s happening around them. I realized that they lacked the habit of reading a newspaper. I insisted that we have a small news talk daily. It has now become a healthy routine.
2. Created a non-restrictive environment which allowed students to confidently think out of the box
3. Reward with books/movies. Upon completion of an assignment/quiz, I would suggest a movie or a book that is related to one of the topics taught. This would also help the students improve their vocabulary, grammar, speaking & reading skills.
4. Insist digital assignment submissions only. Handwritten assignments submitted turned out to be illegible along with grammatical & spelling errors. Going digital not only rectified the errors, but was an economical & efficient strategy to reduce paper use.
5. Having made my classes interactive & interesting than a traditional one, attendance improved by 40%.

(2013-2015) - Senior Architect, Larsen & Toubro, Hyderabad, India
1. Expedited quantity estimation process. Quantities were being manually calculated from hard copies of drawings -a time consuming, error-prone process. I procured digital copies from the client & estimated the entire quantity precisely in 1/5th of the time.
2. 3D visualization. Engineers on site had difficulty in comprehending certain design elements shown in a 2D plan or drawing. I recreated all such abstruse elements in 3D so that they could easily visualize and execute them with a lower probability of error.
3. Progress of various activities on site was shown using conventional bar charts. I started marking the progress on the floor plans itself with various colors for various activities. It evolved into an interesting but simple visual progress-tracking tool.

Extra-Curricular
1. Short Film Making ( University) - Was part of 2 short films as a cinematographer and an actor. The films promoted the awareness of Swachh Bharat (Clean India Mission) & that of depression as a subtle mental health issue.
2. Lake Rejuvenation Project - Mission Kakatiya (Telangana, India) (Work Place) - Freelanced the design for a lake restoration project opposite one of Larsen & Toubros’ construction site on behalf of the organization. This gesture earned us a goodwill from the local residents.
3. Food Stall during Navratri '2016 (University) - Organized and ran a food stall with a group of friends for 10 days. Those 10 days gave us a small-scale experience on the basics of marketing, supply & demand, customer feedback and crisis management.
4. Student Placement Coordinator (University) - Organized skill development workshops, designed the class profile brochure, interacted with past & potential recruiters & ensured eligibility based short-listing for a class of 114.
5. I have got my own architectural photography blog website up and running. You can visit it at captures.in or on insta at @captures.in .

Post MBA goals
Work in a product management of product development role for a few years before starting my own venture. I know its very broad, but I am still working on refining it further.

Anything else?
My hobbies
1. Electric vehicle design - Interested in automobiles since childhood. Being an eco-conscious individual & a huge fan of Tesla, I'm currently working on designing and building an electric cruiser bike.
2. Photography - The camera gives me the freedom to capture anything I see from my perspective. My subjects are often miniature 3D models, animals, architectural & heritage spaces and natural landscapes
3. Hydroponics - the method of growing plants in only water instead of soil. I liked the idea of growing plants faster & chemical free with less water. A very recent hobby which I'm still cultivating!
4. DIY - I like building my own stuff. I like to create my own solution if i cant find one. I built a custom guitar cause my fingers were too thick for a standard one.
5. Trading - Im a hobby level trader. I work with binary options.

Although I lack international exposure, the class profile at CEPT University comprises of over a 100 students from various states all over the country having a wide diversity in background (I know atleast 2 people from every state in the country) and disciplines ranging from engineering, architecture, geography, law, environmentalists, planners etc. Working with a such a diverse crowd, having different language, different culture and traditions etc helped me to balance the dynamics of our team/group.

Let me know if you need any other detail.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Background:
Korean-American (born in Brooklyn)
Age 27
GMAT 710

Education:
BBA in Risk Management and Insurance from Temple University
Honors Program, Magna Cum Laude, GPA: 3.76

Work Experience: Total 5 years
Job 1 (2 years) - Global Property Underwriter at world's largest publicly traded insurance company. Analyzed and managed risk for complex multinational property portfolios.

Job 2 (3 years) - Co-Founder/CEO of energy efficiency consulting company. Started the company during my sophomore year of college and worked part-time while working at the insurance firm until it grew to the point where I decided to pursue the energy consulting full-time. Worked with property managers, building owners, etc to convert their facilities to up to 70% efficiency. Portfolio annual savings at about $1M.

Extra curriculars - After winning first place at a business pitch competition for Emerging Young Entrepreneurs, joined as an advisor/assistant director of the program focused on fostering and accelerating underrepresented minority owned businesses to work with government and corporate entities.
At the time of application, will be working in Singapore for a network organization connecting non-profit startup ventures to impact investors and government grants.
In college and throughout my insurance role, contributed to a firm that is dedicated to creating opportunities for asian-americans in leadership roles in corporations.

Post MBA Goal - further hone business strategy consulting skills to support global social enterprises in creating sustainable business models. Long-term goal: create a fund that supports social enterprises with the potential for financial returns for investors.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Background and nationality 31/M/White (US - NY, NY)

Undergrad Information: US Top 30 US News & World Report - Econ/Drama (3.8 GPA - Phi Beta Kappa)

GMAT: 700 44Q/41V/7IR (currently studying for a retake - goal of 720+ with 48+ Q)

Work experience and leadership: Currently working in the finance department for America's oldest professional theatre company. We also own a plurality of the Broadway theaters. Specifically, I work in the division that handles group and business-to-business discount ticket sales.

My current title is junior accountant. Primary responsibilities include:
-Own the entire aging process for ~50 b2b AR clients, totaling ~$1.1 million in monthly sales
-Manage and resolve any discrepancies related to commission income (~$150K/week) for all Broadway/off-Broadway ticket sales
-Reconcile internal reports against 3rd party ticketing system and advise accounting department regarding coding for ~$650K in weekly sales
-Coordinated with the operations manager to redesign the entire reconciliation process, reducing the time taken to get reports to accounting by two full business days.

Additionally, my recommenders will be able to speak to the stability I brought to my current position, including establishing new reconciliation schedules and checks and balances procedures. The department was being restructured during my hiring, and I had 4 supervisors over the span of ~2 years.

Community and others:
Various service projects with NYC alumni group
Independently learning python for data science (put on hold due to GMAT retake)
Improv student
Beginner rock climber & active member of local recreational sports league
Won an acting award for my performance in a friend's submission to a playwriting festival
Academic interests in behavioral psychology/behavioral economics

Post MBA goals:
Insights/Analytics, ideally in the media/entertainment or tech industries. I want to blend my interests in behavior and decision sciences with my skills in storytelling to help guide businesses to better meet consumers needs.

Anything else?
Working with travel/tourism clients and living in such an international city, coupled with the flattening effect of the digital economy, has fueled my interest in potentially pursuing an MBA outside of the US. (On a personal note - I grew up in a small town down south and no one in my immediate family has ever traveled outside the country).

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi christophahn,
Not sure what deadline you were or are aiming for, so hopefully still useful.... but I do feel like your solid work experience track and entrepreneurial accomplishments would position you well for Cambridge; keep us posted on whether you've applied already or are applying soon, and fyi happy to touch base with you as a Judge alum and MBA Admissions consultant if still useful, www.mbamission.com/consult. Good luck!!

christophahn wrote:
Hi everyone,

Background:
Korean-American (born in Brooklyn)
Age 27
GMAT 710

Education:
BBA in Risk Management and Insurance from Temple University
Honors Program, Magna Cum Laude, GPA: 3.76

Work Experience: Total 5 years
Job 1 (2 years) - Global Property Underwriter at world's largest publicly traded insurance company. Analyzed and managed risk for complex multinational property portfolios.

Job 2 (3 years) - Co-Founder/CEO of energy efficiency consulting company. Started the company during my sophomore year of college and worked part-time while working at the insurance firm until it grew to the point where I decided to pursue the energy consulting full-time. Worked with property managers, building owners, etc to convert their facilities to up to 70% efficiency. Portfolio annual savings at about $1M.

Extra curriculars - After winning first place at a business pitch competition for Emerging Young Entrepreneurs, joined as an advisor/assistant director of the program focused on fostering and accelerating underrepresented minority owned businesses to work with government and corporate entities.
At the time of application, will be working in Singapore for a network organization connecting non-profit startup ventures to impact investors and government grants.
In college and throughout my insurance role, contributed to a firm that is dedicated to creating opportunities for asian-americans in leadership roles in corporations.

Post MBA Goal - further hone business strategy consulting skills to support global social enterprises in creating sustainable business models. Long-term goal: create a fund that supports social enterprises with the potential for financial returns for investors.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ajowen21:

I was reading along thinking, wow you don't see that combo of Econ & Drama very often lol! Then saw your current role combining the quant elements with the theater industry, interesting! I would think you'd be fairly memorable given that, though I don't see a lot of leadership examples coming through, so think hard on what examples you can provide in that regard. They may also come from community experience potentially. And highlighting the new changes you implemented at work would at least show initiative which is a form of leadership. Do you have any international experience at all? That would be a plus. Have you retaken the GMAT yet?

I highly recommend Judge from my own personal experience for the global diversity of the class and international focus of the program, and for the historic university experience and collaborative class community.... good luck to you on Judge or any other schools!

ajowen21 wrote:

Undergrad Information: US Top 30 US News & World Report - Econ/Drama (3.8 GPA - Phi Beta Kappa)

GMAT: 700 44Q/41V/7IR (currently studying for a retake - goal of 720+ with 48+ Q)

Work experience and leadership: Currently working in the finance department for America's oldest professional theatre company. We also own a plurality of the Broadway theaters. Specifically, I work in the division that handles group and business-to-business discount ticket sales.

-Own the entire aging process for ~50 b2b AR clients, totaling ~$1.1 million in monthly sales
-Manage and resolve any discrepancies related to commission income (~$150K/week) for all Broadway/off-Broadway ticket sales
-Reconcile internal reports against 3rd party ticketing system and advise accounting department regarding coding for ~$650K in weekly sales
-Coordinated with the operations manager to redesign the entire reconciliation process, reducing the time taken to get reports to accounting by two full business days.

Additionally, my recommenders will be able to speak to the stability I brought to my current position, including establishing new reconciliation schedules and checks and balances procedures. The department was being restructured during my hiring, and I had 4 supervisors over the span of ~2 years.

Community and others:
Improv student
Won an acting award for my performance in a friend's submission to a playwriting festival

Post MBA goals:
Insights/Analytics, ideally in the media/entertainment or tech industries. I want to blend my interests in behavior and decision sciences with my skills in storytelling to help guide businesses to better meet consumers needs.

Anything else?
Working with travel/tourism clients and living in such an international city, coupled with the flattening effect of the digital economy, has fueled my interest in potentially pursuing an MBA outside of the US. (On a personal note - I grew up in a small town down south and no one in my immediate family has ever traveled outside the country).

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi ajowen21:

I was reading along thinking, wow you don't see that combo of Econ & Drama very often lol! Then saw your current role combining the quant elements with the theater industry, interesting! I would think you'd be fairly memorable given that, though I don't see a lot of leadership examples coming through, so think hard on what examples you can provide in that regard. They may also come from community experience potentially. And highlighting the new changes you implemented at work would at least show initiative which is a form of leadership. Do you have any international experience at all? That would be a plus. Have you retaken the GMAT yet?

I highly recommend Judge from my own personal experience for the global diversity of the class and international focus of the program, and for the historic university experience and collaborative class community.... good luck to you on Judge or any other schools!

ajowen21 wrote:

Community and others:
Improv student

Post MBA goals:

Anything else?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm a little worried about the direct leadership experience myself. I'm working on highlighting my initiatives in my resume, and I've spoken with my recommenders about emphasizing the impact I've made in my role.

I don't have any direct international experience other than dealing with our international tourism and travel clients. I've never worked or studied outside the US, which is part of why a year-long program in the UK is so intriguing.

Retook the GMAT this week, scoring a 730 Q46 V44. Still disappointed in my Quant score, but it's not worth taking time away from applications for a retake and the verbal is going to be hard to maintain. I have A's on my transcript in Quant courses from Econ and some bschool electives (corp finance, acct, stats, decision models for business) so hopefully adcoms won't doubt my ability to handle the quant course load.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Background and nationality:

Male, 32, Bolivian.

Undergrad Information

Undergraduate Canada Carleton University 01-09-2004 - 30-04-2008 BEng Bachelor of Electrical Engineering 7.16 (B -)

Postgraduate Canada Carleton University 01-05-2011 - 31-12-2013 Master of Engineering - Technology Innovation Management 10.55 (A -)

Postgraduate Online Diploma United States of America Harvard Business School 09-09-2015 - 31-12-2015 Business & Management CORe Credential of Readiness - Business Analytics - Economics for Managers - Financial Accounting Pass with High Honors

Postgraduate Online Diploma United States of America Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 02-05-2016 - 15-09-2016 Finance MIT Fintech certificate course: Future Commerce Other Completed

GMAT: 700 (expired this year) taking GRE in December, expect 90th percentile +

Work experience and leadership

CANADA Nortel Networks Global Product Support Engineer 2008-2010
CANADA Ciena Optical Global Product Support Engineer 2010 - 2010
CANADA Blackberry Verification Engineer - IOT Specialist 2010 -2013
CANADA ClearVoix Founder/CEO 01-11-2011 - 31-07-2015 20
CANADA/BOLIVIA Mitel Corporate Sales Engineer 14-02-2014 - 20-10-2018
BOLIVIA *redacted for privacy* Gourmet Cakes and Cafe Founder/Executive Director 01-04-2016 - 07-11-2018
BOLIVIA *redacted for privacy* SCZ Consulting Group Founder/Managing Partner 01-07-2016 - 07-11-2018
BOLIVIA *redacted for privacy* Mass Market Packaged food goods Founder/Executive Director 20-02-2017 - 07-11-2018

I evolved my Engineering career from initially a very technical role in Engineering to a customer facing Sales Engineer role. I then moved back to Bolivia and am able to work remotely due to my role. While in Bolivia I created 3 companies on my personal time, forging partnerships with young entrepreneurs that have been successful, having created jobs for 16 professionals and 17 workers across all three firms.
Of note is SCZ consulting group, which I created to help Bolivian entrepreneurs launch new businesses. It started as pro bono work but eventually grew into larger paid consultancies. This demanded I build a team of partners, business professionals, to assist and cover gaps in my knowledge (which I intend to improve with an MBA!). So far we have helped over 14 companies launch and grow their business - ranging from small coffee shops to restaurants, real state projects and international acquisition of companies.

Community and others
I am a board member of "Juventud Empresa" in Bolivia, an institution that's a member of the FIJE, an international federation of young businessmen/women. In this role, I have mentored teams of entrepreneurs, organized entrepreneurship events and even led meetings with government institutions to discuss the needs of young entrepreneurs and professionals in Bolivia.

I also volunteer for "FUNDAR" an NGO whose goal is to develop the rural areas of Santa Cruz, Bolivia through knowledge sharing. I also support young student leaders with mentoring and guest talks in organizations such as the University Federation of Students and "Casa de la Juventud"

Post MBA goals

my goals are two-fold:

Professionally, I want to continue developing my firms. I especially want to focus on SCG, focusing on the fintech sector, leveraging knowledge and relationships i build during the MBA in order to create innovative funding options for companies and startups in my country. I aim to connect international funds to Bolivia to help further develop it.

As far as my community goals, i wish to continue helping the entrepreneur and young professionals community by aiming to become President of the institution. From there i aim for a seat at the board fo the Federation of Private Businessese and the Chamber of commerce in my country because those positions will help me to continue developing political and business relationships required to influence the development of programs that promote entrepreneurship and the development of economic freedom and trade in my country. As an example i aim to bring the UK;s prosperity fund program to Bolivia.
Send PM
Expert Reply
ajowen21--- sounds good and glad to see some GMAT improvement! You can still aim to make the case for the international exposure you do have, even through working with international team members or clients, and for WHY you want the international experience and diverse class that Judge offers. Keep us posted if we can help further, and sign up for a free 30 minute consultation if desired at any point!

ajowen21 wrote:
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi ajowen21:

ajowen21 wrote:

Community and others:
Improv student

Post MBA goals:

Anything else?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm a little worried about the direct leadership experience myself. I'm working on highlighting my initiatives in my resume, and I've spoken with my recommenders about emphasizing the impact I've made in my role.

I don't have any direct international experience other than dealing with our international tourism and travel clients. I've never worked or studied outside the US, which is part of why a year-long program in the UK is so intriguing.

Retook the GMAT this week, scoring a 730 Q46 V44. Still disappointed in my Quant score, but it's not worth taking time away from applications for a retake and the verbal is going to be hard to maintain. I have A's on my transcript in Quant courses from Econ and some bschool electives (corp finance, acct, stats, decision models for business) so hopefully adcoms won't doubt my ability to handle the quant course load.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ronaruto,

Thanks for sharing your story. While you are more experienced than the typical incoming Judge candidate, if you can make a strong case for knowing why you need the MBA and how it will help you with your goals, I feel you could have a shot. I do feel your entrepreneurial experiences can be defining and interesting, potentially memorable with the variety of ventures you've worked on; obviously you'll have to do a good job explaining it all and your story and need for the MBA and future vision for your company/ies etc. Good luck on the GRE, hopefully that will work out well for you! Feel free to check back with that score or sign up for a consult with us at any point. Good luck either way!

ronaruto wrote:
Background and nationality:

Male, 32, Bolivian.

Undergrad Information

Undergraduate Canada Carleton University 01-09-2004 - 30-04-2008 BEng Bachelor of Electrical Engineering 7.16 (B -)

Postgraduate Canada Carleton University 01-05-2011 - 31-12-2013 Master of Engineering - Technology Innovation Management 10.55 (A -)

Postgraduate Online Diploma United States of America Harvard Business School 09-09-2015 - 31-12-2015 Business & Management CORe Credential of Readiness - Business Analytics - Economics for Managers - Financial Accounting Pass with High Honors

Postgraduate Online Diploma United States of America Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 02-05-2016 - 15-09-2016 Finance MIT Fintech certificate course: Future Commerce Other Completed

GMAT: 700 (expired this year) taking GRE in December, expect 90th percentile +

Work experience and leadership

CANADA Nortel Networks Global Product Support Engineer 2008-2010
CANADA Ciena Optical Global Product Support Engineer 2010 - 2010
CANADA Blackberry Verification Engineer - IOT Specialist 2010 -2013
CANADA ClearVoix Founder/CEO 01-11-2011 - 31-07-2015 20
CANADA/BOLIVIA Mitel Corporate Sales Engineer 14-02-2014 - 20-10-2018
BOLIVIA *redacted for privacy* Gourmet Cakes and Cafe Founder/Executive Director 01-04-2016 - 07-11-2018
BOLIVIA *redacted for privacy* SCZ Consulting Group Founder/Managing Partner 01-07-2016 - 07-11-2018
BOLIVIA *redacted for privacy* Mass Market Packaged food goods Founder/Executive Director 20-02-2017 - 07-11-2018

I evolved my Engineering career from initially a very technical role in Engineering to a customer facing Sales Engineer role. I then moved back to Bolivia and am able to work remotely due to my role. While in Bolivia I created 3 companies on my personal time, forging partnerships with young entrepreneurs that have been successful, having created jobs for 16 professionals and 17 workers across all three firms.
Of note is SCZ consulting group, which I created to help Bolivian entrepreneurs launch new businesses. It started as pro bono work but eventually grew into larger paid consultancies. This demanded I build a team of partners, business professionals, to assist and cover gaps in my knowledge (which I intend to improve with an MBA!). So far we have helped over 14 companies launch and grow their business - ranging from small coffee shops to restaurants, real state projects and international acquisition of companies.

Community and others
I am a board member of "Juventud Empresa" in Bolivia, an institution that's a member of the FIJE, an international federation of young businessmen/women. In this role, I have mentored teams of entrepreneurs, organized entrepreneurship events and even led meetings with government institutions to discuss the needs of young entrepreneurs and professionals in Bolivia.

I also volunteer for "FUNDAR" an NGO whose goal is to develop the rural areas of Santa Cruz, Bolivia through knowledge sharing. I also support young student leaders with mentoring and guest talks in organizations such as the University Federation of Students and "Casa de la Juventud"

Post MBA goals

my goals are two-fold:

Professionally, I want to continue developing my firms. I especially want to focus on SCG, focusing on the fintech sector, leveraging knowledge and relationships i build during the MBA in order to create innovative funding options for companies and startups in my country. I aim to connect international funds to Bolivia to help further develop it.

As far as my community goals, i wish to continue helping the entrepreneur and young professionals community by aiming to become President of the institution. From there i aim for a seat at the board fo the Federation of Private Businessese and the Chamber of commerce in my country because those positions will help me to continue developing political and business relationships required to influence the development of programs that promote entrepreneurship and the development of economic freedom and trade in my country. As an example i aim to bring the UK;s prosperity fund program to Bolivia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Background and nationality: Female, 31, Pakistani and British Dual National

Undergrad Information: Bachelors of Mechatronics (Robotics) Engineering from Top University of Pakistan with CGPA of 3.1

GMAT: 710 (expected)

Work experience and leadership:
Total 7.5 years

2.5 years of Experience in Telecom in leadership position leading team of first 2 and then 3 (role enrichment/enhancement each year) responsible for Trade Marketing, vendor management, National Trade Budget management $ 5mn+, Growth of business growth ($28mn) through unconventional revenues (digital etc), special projects in rural.

9 months of experience as Sales Trainer in Coca Cola

1 year career gap due to personal problem

4 years 3 months of work experience in top FMCG MNC working in Operations, Supply chain, Trade Category management of biggest Brand (promoted twice)

International: Traveled a lot solo since age of 19, Managed 350 sales employees conference in malaysia, Deal with international business partners for business growth (unconventional channels) across UAE, Dublin, USA. Collaborated with east asian countries for cost saving project in Trade marketing.

Community and others: I have been regularly doing community service from last 7-8 years which include mentoring high school underprivileged kids,volunteering at a school built in a tent etc, spending time and fundraising for other schools that have kids from underprivileged background.

Others: I have my own e-commerce side business which i run from home through facebook & https://gmatclub.com/chat established 5 years ago (1 man show) . Growth in revenue year on year

Post MBA goals: to work in UK in e-commerce Tech firms like Amazon in retail Leadership program . Eventually come back to home country to set up own E-commerce business on large scale.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

It will be great if you can evaluate my profile for JudgeFull Time MBA. The profile is as follows:

Background and nationality: Indian, Male, 27
Undergrad Information: Bachelors in Computer Science, University of Delhi - GPA will be between 3.0 and 3.2
GMAT: 710 (QA 48, VA 38, IR 6)
Work experience and leadership: 60 months, primarily in Risk Consulting divided as following:
26 months in a Big4 - profile revolved around advising clients on managing their regulatory aspects of risks
34 months in a leading risk consulting firm - profile advises clients on various aspects to manage most risks, including selling insurance
Community and others - Actively involved with an NGO teaching basic English and Mathematics to under privileged kids in India; other normal things (including being part of a astronomy club, inter college football etc.)
Post MBA goals: Strategy Consulting - MBBs or tier two Consulting firms

Your help is much appreciated.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello MBAaspirant2408

Most elements of your profile look pretty balanced.
GMAT, work ex, extracurricular all seem to check the box.
GPA looks a bit low though- but should not be a deal breaker.
I'd recommend focusing more on the qualitative aspect in work ex/extracurricular by talking about accomplishments and impact rather than a few bullet points.
Displaying an International outlook in your past experience and future goals also helps at Judge.
Not sure about your timelines though, R3 is 11 Jan and that's hardly any time to build an application. Would advice against applying in R4.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

MBAaspirant2408 wrote:
Hi Guys,

It will be great if you can evaluate my profile for JudgeFull Time MBA. The profile is as follows:

Undergrad Information: Bachelors in Computer Science, University of Delhi - GPA will be between 3.0 and 3.2
Work experience and leadership: 60 months, primarily in Risk Consulting divided as following:
26 months in a Big4 - profile revolved around advising clients on managing their regulatory aspects of risks
34 months in a leading risk consulting firm - profile advises clients on various aspects to manage most risks, including selling insurance
Community and others - Actively involved with an NGO teaching basic English and Mathematics to under privileged kids in India; other normal things (including being part of a astronomy club, inter college football etc.)

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi anum23,
When are you considering applying? And how recent was your personal gap year? The further in the past it was, the less it would raise any issues, but you'll still want to address it somewhere in your application of course. Have you taken your GMAT now? How did it go? I would love to see some specific tangible leadership examples and accomplishments in recent years, which you perhaps have but I don't have the full CV here, but if you have some good examples there and if GMAT goes well I feel your profile would be solid and hopefully get a consideration from Judge.... keep us posted!

anum23 wrote:
Background and nationality: Female, 31, Pakistani and British Dual National

Undergrad Information: Bachelors of Mechatronics (Robotics) Engineering from Top University of Pakistan with CGPA of 3.1

GMAT: 710 (expected)

Work experience and leadership:
Total 7.5 years

2.5 years of Experience in Telecom in leadership position leading team of first 2 and then 3 (role enrichment/enhancement each year) responsible for Trade Marketing, vendor management, National Trade Budget management $ 5mn+, Growth of business growth ($28mn) through unconventional revenues (digital etc), special projects in rural.

9 months of experience as Sales Trainer in Coca Cola

1 year career gap due to personal problem

4 years 3 months of work experience in top FMCG MNC working in Operations, Supply chain, Trade Category management of biggest Brand (promoted twice)

International: Traveled a lot solo since age of 19, Managed 350 sales employees conference in malaysia, Deal with international business partners for business growth (unconventional channels) across UAE, Dublin, USA. Collaborated with east asian countries for cost saving project in Trade marketing.

Community and others: I have been regularly doing community service from last 7-8 years which include mentoring high school underprivileged kids,volunteering at a school built in a tent etc, spending time and fundraising for other schools that have kids from underprivileged background.

Others: I have my own e-commerce side business which i run from home through facebook & https://gmatclub.com/chat established 5 years ago (1 man show) . Growth in revenue year on year

Post MBA goals: to work in UK in e-commerce Tech firms like Amazon in retail Leadership program . Eventually come back to home country to set up own E-commerce business on large scale.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MBAaspirant2408,
Things are looking solid in terms of your GMAT and quantity of work experience plus NGO experience. As mentioned your GPA could be stronger ideally, but most importantly I would love to see more leadership examples and international experience and perspective... it's possible you have those things just not reflected here... the challenge is that Judge does get a lot of similarly qualified Indian applicants with similar GMAT and GPA, so the more you can stand out and be remembered by other life experiences, specific leadership accomplishments, international elements etc, the better your chances of rising above similar applicants. Keep us posted on timing and questions!

MBAaspirant2408 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
mbaMissionJenK wrote:
Hi MBAaspirant2408,
Things are looking solid in terms of your GMAT and quantity of work experience plus NGO experience. As mentioned your GPA could be stronger ideally, but most importantly I would love to see more leadership examples and international experience and perspective... it's possible you have those things just not reflected here... the challenge is that Judge does get a lot of similarly qualified Indian applicants with similar GMAT and GPA, so the more you can stand out and be remembered by other life experiences, specific leadership accomplishments, international elements etc, the better your chances of rising above similar applicants. Keep us posted on timing and questions!

MBAaspirant2408 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your assessment. As a matter of fact I work as a part of London headquartered company (a FTSE 250 component and a top 4 player in its industry). As a part of my current job, am managing a team of five and much of our time is spent in understanding global businesses and their risk needs. Have been to London on a couple of assignments too (not long term though!). Also, I do have a few examples which can answer your question on leadership.

Was just wondering how important is the quality of references at Judge? I am asking this specifically since I can easily get a recommendation from my current manager in London, however if it makes any difference I can also try and get reference from the CEO/ COO of my BU. Also, would it make any difference if I can get my GMAT score up by 20 points (since R1 is quite far for now), would it somewhat make-up for my GPA?

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hey guys, I am a graduate from a canadian univetsity, one of the schools the has the toughest grading system e.g. McGill, U of T.

I am quite concerned due to my low gpa which is 3.2.
First Year: 3.7
Second Year: 2.08 with an F, C+, B-s, 3.3
Third Year: 3.2
Fourth Year: 3.2

My gmat score is 730 and I am a Canadian CPA working at PwC’s audit department.
CFA LvL 2
My GPA is below the requirement. Do I still have a chance?
And, is it better to apply as a Canadian citizen or Korean citizen?

Will the admissio committee take into consideration that I am from one of the toughest school from Canada that gives really low grades?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Judge, Said, and Bocconi Moderator
105 posts