Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 3160
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [3]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: The Indian Male MBA Application Guide [#permalink]
Thanks souvik101990 for the insight.
Is there any similar analysis done for non-US schools(1year program)? In case any post is available please let me know.

Best regards

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi everyone - is there a distinction between ethnicity and citizenship? For example, I am an Indian male by background, but an Australian citizen. How would ad coms looks at me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Does a letter of recommendation from cabinet minister helps?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [4]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.46
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
The Indian Male MBA Application Guide [#permalink]
Kudos
jsound996 wrote:
What about Indian Americans, how do they compare against Indian Males and Females? (Parents that were born in India, children were born in the US)

I know I'm late to respond here but I think for Indian Americans, it is different than Indians from India but the core tenets of success are the same. I do think showing your 'poet' skills and community engagement is important for Indian Americans and will help differentiate you. Also think there is a higher expectation threshold for at least meeting the average numbers in terms of grades and tests posted by the school. After you meet those #s (3.6/730), Im not sure what the differentiators are.

Indian Americans at IB/PE/MBB/FAANG or other prestigious large firms will basically have the same criteria as American ORMs at these firms. I have average academic #s for the M7 and was able to get in with this golden work exp. (3.5/730), also know an Indian American female friend of mine at one of these firms who cleaned house and got 3 M7 offers (don't know her stats but will assume they are about the same as mine, maybe with a higher GPA but definitely in a less academically challenging major).

Indians with silver or lesser known work experience may struggle though (admittedly I don't know many Indian Americans outside of the top-tier firms who get MBAs, most that I know of who couldn't get into a BB/MBB/FAANG were working while studying for MCAT and applying to medical school, but please prove me wrong).

For Indian Americans, 720 (Female) and 730 (Male) is your magic GMAT number goal (as opposed to 750 for Males from India and 730 for females). I don't think anyone looked down on me from an admissions perspective because of my 730 GMAT.

Originally posted by easterngod on 01 Jan 2020, 15:48.
Last edited by easterngod on 26 Mar 2020, 14:05, edited 3 times in total.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for chiming i’m easterngod

I’m curious to know how your recruitment experiences have been at school. I’m trying to recreate this thread but instead of admissions, i’m going to be analyzing recruitment at business school for indian students. I’d love to know your experiences.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

I’m curious to know how your recruitment experiences have been at school. I’m trying to recreate this thread but instead of admissions, i’m going to be analyzing recruitment at business school for indian students. I’d love to know your experiences.

Still just an admit but will be happy to get back to you next year!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
easterngod wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Still just an admit but will be happy to get back to you next year!

Looking forward to it :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I still find the OPs analysis here to be amazing and given the number of questions we get from Indian applicants in this forum it should be pinned. Would love a section on which round to apply to (is there an R1 advantage for internationals?).

Regarding this comment "4. Schools with ED rounds are MUCH more predictable and Indian-friendly (especially Fuqua, Tuck, and maybe Columbia) than later rounds. I think Fuqua RD round is harder to get into than any R1 peer school. Period."

This is totally true with Columbia, as I think RD admissions here is more difficult than any non HSW M7 (and probably tied with W). In my networking of cross-admits at Booth (population that could only do RD at CBS), I only met 1 person who was admitted to both (compared to like 15 Booth-Kellogg cross admits), so I am assuming CBS was extremely selective for RD this past year. Also like Fuqua/Tuck, CBS is more concerned with yield than a lot of its peers, so visit the campus early and attend events often! I recommend almost all international applicants in the rockstar category apply ED to CBS to ensure they get to do their MBA at a top-ranked school. Exceptions would be for legacies at another M7 school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB '23 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm new to the world of MBA Applications. However, i had a query.
When you say bluechip company experience, does it involve software engineering experience at a leading multinational? Say, Oracle?

Kindly provide some more help for Indian male applicant having core software engineering experience and not backend IT role.

Appreciated in advance. :D

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
gmatprans wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm new to the world of MBA Applications. However, i had a query.
When you say bluechip company experience, does it involve software engineering experience at a leading multinational? Say, Oracle?

Kindly provide some more help for Indian male applicant having core software engineering experience and not backend IT role.

Appreciated in advance. :D

Thanks.

I would say it is good experience and makes you competitive, but does not make you stand out. You can still get into a top school if everything else is aligned, but you won't get in based off this work experience alone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GRE 1: Q165 V163
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by RCCRSC on 18 Jul 2020, 04:44.
Last edited by RCCRSC on 14 Oct 2020, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
RCCRSC wrote:
Kindly Please evaluate my profile for the following schools: Kellogs, Booth, Insead, Rotman, HEC

- Indian Male
- Top IIT, 8+ GPA
- 5 years of Work Ex (3 years Internationally, F500 Energy company)
- GRE 328

Thanks!

RCCRSC, thanks for tagging us for the profile review.

For a good review, will be useful to have a few more details such as the nature of your work, achievements, any extracurricular activities, anything you feel are your differentiation points, current location and post-MBA plans. Do share and we'd be happy to comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GRE 1: Q165 V163
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by RCCRSC on 18 Jul 2020, 05:52.
Last edited by RCCRSC on 14 Oct 2020, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
RCCRSC wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
RCCRSC wrote:
Kindly Please evaluate my profile for the following schools: Kellogs, Booth, Insead, Rotman, HEC

- Indian Male
- Top IIT, 8+ GPA
- 5 years of Work Ex (3 years Internationally, F500 Energy company)
- GRE 328

Thanks!

For a good review, will be useful to have a few more details such as the nature of your work, achievements, any extracurricular activities, anything you feel are your differentiation points, current location and post-MBA plans. Do share and we'd be happy to comment.

Kindly find the requested information.

-3+ years Internationally, Well Engineer, Energy Industry (Project management division for drilling oil wells for Saudi Aramco)
-2 years, Consultant, Credit Risk Modeling, Financial Services

Differentiation Points:
1. Majority of my work experience has been international, in a highly diverse company (~10+ different nationalities in my team)
2. I was part of the weightlifting and powerlifting college teams and represented college in National level collegiate competitions,
(I was rejected in the first year and worked hard to get into the club the next year)
3. I learnt Spanish because of working with Latin American colleagues at Saudi, and can speak and understand decent intermediate level Spanish.

Achievements:
1. Was ranked 2nd out of ~20 international Engineers in our work segment in 2018
2. Won numerous college awards in weightlifting and powerlifting

Extracurricular:
1. Travel, Hiking in Himalayas and Europe
2. Foreign Languages (Mostly Spanish)
3. Weightlifting and Powerlifting

Current Location:
Was posted in Saudi up until now, but now back to India as on a Furlough due to the Industry crisis.

Post MBA plans:
General Management or Management Consulting.

RCCRSC, we already connected so skipping the evaluation here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi thank you for this post.

Can you please also post the same for indian profile for the course of MS finance in top european schools that would be helpful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Thanks for the analysis souvik101990. Can you revamp this post with a couple of European B-schools too?

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3