Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [30]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q168 V155
GPA: 3.27
WE:Web Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [4]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 132 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing will soon make the city unlivable, which would make the residents prone to such illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them to shift to other cities.

Sentence Structure
Subject - Verb:
    Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing will soon make the city unlivable,
      making the residents prone to such illnesses as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer
        and
      encouraging them( residents) to shift to other cities.

Issues:
    Though in vernacular language we may use like to elicit exmples, we MUST use such as instead of like to explicit examples in GMAT.
    A and D - Such as VS like

Answer choice analysis:
    (A) will soon make the city unlivable, which would make the residents prone to such illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them
      - Such as VS like

(B) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them
      - Parallelism issue - making and to encourage

(C) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to such illnesses as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and encouraging them
      Resolves all issues. C is the winner!

(D) would soon make the city unlivable and also make the residents prone to illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer, encouraging them
      - Such as VS like
      Redundancy - and also
      To refer to prediction in the present for the future, Will is much better than would

(E) would soon make the city unlivable by making them prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and it will also encourage them
      To refer to prediction in the present for the future, Will is much better than would.
      No CORRECT referrent( antecedent) of it.
      Parallelism issue - missing THAT before it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Re: Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
(A) will soon make the city unlivable, which would make the residents prone to such illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them

We have a problem with parallelism: the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing will soon make...and to encourage them [...].

Additionally, "which" doesn't follow the noun that it supposes to modify (increasing levels of air pollution) and the structure of the sentence doesn't allow it to reach that far behind.

In terms of the meaning of the sentence, "the city being unlivable" doesn't make the residents prone to illnesses - it's the other way around.

I think it's enough to eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them

There's still a problem with parallelism: will soon make...and to encourage them [...].

Quote:
(C) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to such illnesses as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and encouraging them

Parallelism is finally maintained: making the residents...and encouraging them [...]. I'm not really cool with that -ing modifier though. The increasing levels of air pollution will make the city unlivable and as a result of that the residents will be prone to illnesses. Hmm...let's keep it for now.

Quote:
(D) would soon make the city unlivable and also make the residents prone to illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer, encouraging them

Now it gets trickier. I'd say that I prefer (C) over (D) because we typically use "would" in conditional tense (if I were you, I would...) and we don't have that in our sentence, so "will" will do the job. (I saw in some explanation on the forum that "predict" and "would" can be considered redundant, but I'm not sure whether it's 100% true).
But for me, (D) is more clear in meaning than (C) (but not ideal either). Increasing levels of air pollution make the city unlivable and make residents prone to illnesses, and as a result these things encourage them to shift to other cities.

In exam conditions, I'd pick (C) because of that would vs. will thing, general preference for "such as" to introduce examples and overall concision. Hard choice.

Quote:
(E) would soon make the city unlivable by making them prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and it will also encourage them

"Them" and "it" lack antecedents. "Them" can't refer to "levels" because levels won't be made prone to illnesses. "It" needs to refer to singular noun and all possible preceding singular nouns (asthma, cancer, city) would be illogical.

PS Gagan0009 I wouldn't eliminate (D) solely on "like" vs. "such as" issue. Although it seems like there's a general preference for "such as" over "like" to introduce examples, there are some official questions that violate this rule. See: https://gmatclub.com/forum/especially-i ... 20342.html

PS2 Xylan I also wouldn't eliminate (D) because of supposed redundancy in phrase "and also". Maybe "and also" is 100% redundant, if it appears in the same sentence as "both", but I wouldn't be so sure about that in our question.
For example, in this official question the correct answer contains "and also" and is not considered redundant: https://gmatclub.com/forum/turning-away ... 42870.html

Can't wait to see the official explanation. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
I chose (C), and it took me 1 minute and 27 seconds.

(A) is not grammatically correct: "to encourage" should be "encourage". In addition, "like" should be "such as" for providing examples.
(B) is not grammatically correct: "to encourage" should be "encouraging".
(D) I do not see any reason why "would" is used here. In addition, "like" should be "such as" for providing examples.
(E) I do not see any reason why "would" is used here. It is especially problematic when a simple future tense is used later in "it will also". There are other issues with this version.
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
bartk, Great learning! :)

However, Few thoughts:
In GMAT-SC, it's ALWAYS - Grammar --------> Meaning --------> Concision
Meaning:
    Discard the definite errors such as SV, Modifier, Tense-shift, etc. and then shift to other errors such as Pronoun-ambiguity, rhetoric aspects, concision, redundancy

Gagan0009 wrote:
PS Gagan0009 I wouldn't eliminate (D) solely on "like" vs. "such as" issue. Although it seems like there's a general preference for "such as" over "like" to introduce examples, there are some official questions that violate this rule. See: https://gmatclub.com/forum/especially-i ... 20342.html

There is no decision point in the above Q. We do NOT need to worry about such as VS like.
    Just because like in the sentence is used to elicit examples in the non-underlined portion, it does NOT imply that, from now on, the usage of like to elicit examples is fundamentally correct.

Many official RC passages even use the same.

Analogically, Considered X Y is the correct form, but many official Qs use the Considered to be/as-form in the non-underlined portion.
    This usage does NOT mandate that, from now on, Considered to be/as be the right form.

I completely understand what you are trying to infer. However, this understanding is blurry, weak and unsubstantiated.
      1st Focus on the DEFINITE errors -----> then, play around!

Rest assured, GMAT is a standardized test: It never gives 2 perfectly seasoned CORRECT answer choices. A decision point is mandatory!
Quote:
PS2 Xylan I also wouldn't eliminate (D) because of supposed redundancy in the phrase "and also". Maybe "and also" is 100% redundant, if it appears in the same sentence as "both", but I wouldn't be so sure about that in our question.
For example, in this official question, the correct answer contains "and also" and is not considered redundant: https://gmatclub.com/forum/turning-away ... 42870.html

In the above GMATPrep Q, the other 4 options have DEFINITE errors, which discard them to be the correct answer choice.
    Thus, the usage of "and also" is CORRECT.

if grammatically incorrect ---------> the option choice is 100% INCORRECT.
    if grammatically correct -----CAN----> be the correct choice.
    Thus, the order of execution:
      Grammar --------> Meaning --------> Concision

Redundancy-issue comes under the realms of Concision.
    In BETWEEN the following 2 options -
        The Mars Rover traversed the red planet and also snapped the brazen lands - INCORRECT
        The Mars Rover traversed the red planet and snapped the brazen lands - CORRECT
      The latter is fundamentally correct as NO phenomenal action or emphasis is required.

Ex: Emphasis is implied -
      The army travels to the far lands and also diffuses the explosives laid on its path in less than 50 secs after the timer starts running.

In this sentence, We are emphasizing the action of diffusion of the explosives in less than 50 secs after the timer starts running.
      This sentence CAN be CORRECT if we have 4 perfectly incorrect options with definite errors.

Mate, the usage of 'and also' ---> is used to emphasize on the importance of the deed/achievement, the usage that sometimes depends on the context.

PS - bartk, Amazing work. Correct me if I am wrong anywhere. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Xylan I absolutely agree with you and I'm of course aware of siginificant differences (that you elegantly addressed) between our question and the ones that I shared. I just wanted to point it out and to humbly warn our fellow students that start their SC prep against thinking like "Oh, his answer choice used "like" to introduce examples, so it's DEFINITELY wrong. I'm crossing it off". As you said, we should automatically eliminate only these choices that have definite, grammatical errors and then later compare the remaining ones and check for concision, redundancy, idioms and other more tricky stuff. IMO sticking dogmatically to some "absolute" SC rules is a wrong approach to GMAT SC and instead of relying on them, we should focus more on the meaning of the sentence and - if necessary - brush up our English grammar. ;)

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. Kudos to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing will soon make the city unlivable, which would make the residents prone to such illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them to shift to other cities.

Meaning analysis --> Experts predict something --> Increasing levels of air pollution will make the city unliveable
So, now what happens because of this increased level of air pollution --> it will make residents prone to illness and encourage them to shift.
So, we need a modifier after 'make the city unliveable' which presents the result of the action.
Verb-ing modifier will solve the purpose.

making it X, And encouraging them to Y. ( This presents the result of what will happen when the city becomes unliveable)

Also, the use of such as is preferred over like to present examples.( But not a deterministic error)

IMHO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing [#permalink]
Kudos

Examples can be indicated using such as - the correct idiom. Such like is incorrect. 'to encourage' is not parallel to anything.

Corrects 'such like' to 'such as' but 'to encourage' is not parallel to anything

Correct

Incorrect use of 'like'

Incorrect parallelism.

Think answer should be C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
IMO C.

(A) will soon make the city unlivable, which would make the residents prone to such illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them - Pronoun reference error, Meaning distortion due to faulty parallelism and wrong usage of like to mention examples.

(B) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them - Meaning distortion due to faulty parallelism

(C) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to such illnesses as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and encouraging them - Correct answer

(D) would soon make the city unlivable and also make the residents prone to illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer, encouraging them - Wrong usage of like to mention examples and incorrect usage of would to mention certainty.

(E) would soon make the city unlivable by making them prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and it will also encourage them - Incorrect usage of would to mention certainty and Meaning distortion due to faulty parallelism.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos

(A) will soon make the city unlivable, which would make the residents prone to such illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and to encourage them - wrong modification

(B) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and toencourage them - wrong parallel structure

(C) will soon make the city unlivable, making the residents prone to such illnesses as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and encouraging them - correct parallel

(D) would soon make the city unlivable and also make the residents prone to illnesses like asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer, encouraging them - predict we need to use with will
(E) would soon make the city unlivable by making them prone to illnesses such as asthma, COPD, and even lung cancer and it will also encourage them - predict we need to use with will
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I posted the official explanation HERE.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Hey generis thanks for your kind words and - more importantly - for your detailed explanations and attitude. I don't know whether you do it pro bono or not, but you definitely help a lot of people out there. ;) Keep it up!
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Send PM
Experts predict that the increasing levels of air pollution in Beijing [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bartk wrote:
Hey generis thanks for your kind words and - more importantly - for your detailed explanations and attitude. I don't know whether you do it pro bono or not, but you definitely help a lot of people out there. ;) Keep it up!

bartk , you are very welcome. Yep, pro bono. Thanks for the kind words. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 132 Sentence Correction (SC1)

I picked this question because the easiest approach is a process of elimination that includes:
(1) eliminating indisputably incorrect options first;
(2) considering which "gray" issues in an option to focus on; and
(3) comparing answers.

PROCESS OF ELIMINATION

MEANING?
Experts predict that rising levels of pollution in Beijing will make the city unlivable.
(1) How will those rising levels of pollution make the city unlivable and (2) what will be the result?

(1) rising levels of pollution will make the city unlivable because residents will become prone to respiratory illnesses that make breathing even clean air difficult and that cause death

(2) rising levels of pollution will encourage (stimulate) residents to move to other cities

• Split #1: Parallelism
Ignore will/would unless you are familiar with the split. Parallelism is easier.

Option (A) is not parallel
Rising levels of air pollution that will make the city unlivable
would make the residents prone to illnesses
AND
to encourage them [the residents] to shift [to move] to other cities

Option B is not parallel
Rising levels of air pollution that will make the city unlivable
making the residents prone to illnesses
AND
to encourage them [the residents] to shift [to move] to other cities

Eliminate A and B

• Split #2: PRONOUN antecedent error

Option (E) incorrectly uses them and it
-- Them has no antecedent.
Residents are not mentioned.
Experts cannot be the antecedent. Nothing in the sentence suggests that all of the experts who made the prediction live in Beijing (and thus are prone to respiratory illness and stimulated to relocate)
-- IT does not agree with its only logical antecedent, rising levels of air pollution
the noun, levels, is plural. IT is singular.

Eliminate E.

Split #3 • COMPARE C and D, looking for small details

We are down to C and D.

-- and also in option (D) is not always wrong.
Nonetheless, the phrase is wrong often enough that it should trigger inspection.
Does (C) contain and also? NO.

-- introducing examples: like or such as?
This issue is not easily settled.
A couple of official questions use "like" in the non-underlined portion of the question.
[Sidebar. An aspirant has no way to know this fact, but do not rely on prose in CR and RC as an example of GMAC's position on an SC issue.]

Such as is correct • like may be correct • LIKE is not better than SUCH AS
-- As far as I know, no correct official answer has ever used "like" to introduce examples.
-- The use of such as to introduce examples has never been incorrect.
-- The use of like to introduce examples is not better than such as.
Like may well soon be as acceptable as such as in order to introduce examples, but like will not be better than such as
unless, of course, GMAC suddenly gets populated by a bunch of Chomsky fanatics, in which case SC will disappear anyway.

Many people believe that GMAC will abandon this preference soon.
Before I saw OG VR 2020, I would have agreed.
I thought that one question would disappear from OG VR 2020.
The question explicitly tests such as and like to introduce examples, although both incorrect options that use "like" have an additional error.
The question did not disappear from OG VR 2020.

Its official explanation states:
The preferred way to introduce examples is with the phrase "such as," rather than with the word "like," which suggests a comparison.

Spoiler alert: two incorrect answers to an official question are revealed
The official question (OG VR 2020 #310) is HERE.
In addition to the statement above, the author of the OE writes:
(A) Like should be replaced by such as. Have been becoming is an incorrect verb tense.
(D) Like should be replaced by such as. Those of is unnecessary and awkward. Have been becoming is an incorrect verb tense.

At this point I would not use such as/like as the only basis upon which to eliminate an answer.
But we are comparing the details in (C) and (D).
(D) uses like to introduce the diseases.
(C) uses such as to do so. Such as is always correct. On this issue, C is better than D.

(D) uses and also and like, both of which are suspect.
(C) uses nothing controversial. It's grammatical. It makes sense. No controversy.

Eliminate (D)

The answer is (C)

OTHER ISSUES

WHICH is used incorrectly in option A.
"Which" cannot refer to the previous clause and in fact does refer to increasing levels of pollution—but "which" can almost never "reach back" that far. Other choices are better.

• Option E is not parallel, either. See the underlined portions of E, above

• WILL/WOULD
I purposely left the WILL/WOULD question out of the POE. :grin:

That split is much harder than the others. A native ear probably hears that will is correct.

If the sentence
does not include a conditional (if/then, condition/result) or hypothetical (unreal past, e.g.);
is not reported speech;
contains predict in present tense; and
includes a will/would split, then "predict" takes "will."

This part is outside the scope of this question, but . . .as a general rule, will is used for predictions, whereas "would" is used for hypotheticals.
If the political climate does not change, the next election will be dominated by mudslinging.
If she had known about the conference, she would have attended.

I decided to mine data.
I found two official questions that contain the word predict as the word is used in this sentence.
As I had suspected, in both:
-- the verb is WILL (people predict that X WILL happen)
-- both predict and will are in the non-underlined portions
and
-- would is not an option

The two questions that use predict as this question does are HERE and HERE.

I read all the questions in OG 2020 again.
I was curious: did GMAC often pit will against would?
Answer: no. The verbs are tested separately a fair bit, but not together.

The verbs will and would are tested in the same question on two occasions in OG 2020.
-- In OG 2020 # 762, the main issue tested is the correct verb for reported speech.
-- In OG 2020 # 805, the main issue tested is how to express a conditional (IF/THEN) correctly.
To find those questions, go HERE to find the guide and follow the links until you get to the question.

This question is not a conditional.
-- The experts do not predict that IF this thing happens, THEN that thing will happen.
-- The experts do not predict that IF this thing were to happen, then that thing would happen.
-- Often conditional statements do not have IF or THEN in them, but we can create IF and THEN clauses.
We cannot do so in this question.

TAKEAWAY:
PRESENT INDICATIVE "PREDICT"? SIMPLE FUTURE, "WILL."
Right now, experts predict something. By definition, there is only one time period to which the prediction applies: the future.
Which word, will or would, conveys what they are talking about, i.e. the future?
WILL. The simple future tense.

Almost without exception, when the statement is not a conditional, present indicative predict takes WILL.
(If the statement is a conditional, different rules apply, rules that we do not need to consider.)

(Whew.) I knew that writing the OE for this question would not be easy.

The fabulous discussion, though, forced me to cover bases that I would have left well enough alone. :lol:
(Not true. I might have skimmed over the issues, though.)

COMMENTS

bartk and Xylan , you made my day.
Seriously.
This level of exchange, helpfulness, and careful thought is exactly what people on forums should aim for.
As has been the case in every discussion on my threads, you two were careful in your exchange.
Thank you.
I spend a lot of my time undoing urban legends that come from some post or other.

Explanations are good.

So kudos go to Gagan0009 , Xylan , bartk , zhanbo , amitanshumaity , prashanths , Raxit85 , and Annet1524 . Nice work.
Extra kudos go to bartk and Xylan for posts that demonstrate engagement. And generosity. Well done.

Hi carcass
Can there be any case where hypothetical situation talks about present or future?

Example : In order to score good in GMAT, I would need to study actively.

Is this statement correct?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Good question. :)

At a glance, the phrase is fine. However, I do think (as far as is my knowledge of the English language) it is incorrect for the purpose we want to convey.

here we are in the territory of the first type of conditional situation: the first type of conditional refers to a possible condition and its probable result. These sentences are based on facts, and they are used to make statements about the real world, and about particular situations. And the time is the present or future and the situation is real.

1) If I have time, I'll finish that letter.

We can also use modals in the main clause instead of the future and the order of the clauses is not fixed. We might rearrange them.

2) You will miss the bus if you don't hurry.

3) If you drop that glass, it might break.

if you want to score very well on the GMAT, you will need to study actively.

Hope this helps

regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
Good question. :)

At a glance, the phrase is fine. However, I do think (as far as is my knowledge of the English language) it is incorrect for the purpose we want to convey.

here we are in the territory of the first type of conditional situation: the first type of conditional refers to a possible condition and its probable result. These sentences are based on facts, and they are used to make statements about the real world, and about particular situations. And the time is the present or future and the situation is real.

1) If I have time, I'll finish that letter.

We can also use modals in the main clause instead of the future and the order of the clauses is not fixed. We might rearrange them.

2) You will miss the bus if you don't hurry.

3) If you drop that glass, it might break.

if you want to score very well on the GMAT, you will need to study actively.

Hope this helps

regards

Thanks for the response carcass.

I have 1 more question. I am little confused in the usage of would in this OG question : https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-a-speech- ... 68589.html

Can you please put your thoughts why "would" is correct here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
its an easy one if we know idiom such as
A. eliminate
B. hold
C. hold
D. eliminate
E. hold

if one can see llelism than it will be easy to selct C -making and encouraging.
aslo we can easy eliminate E -as we dont know what IT is refrring to
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts