Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618889 [90]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [53]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: In a speech before the Senate Banking Committee, the chairman of the F [#permalink]
Kudos
In the original sentence there is a "before" and the verb "painted" which is in Simple Past.
In A: Usage of present simple and the construction is not correct.
In B: Correct tense and a sound construction. CORRECT
In C: The "which" refers to the economy instead of the picture.
In D & E: Passive voice is used so we can reject these two.

Correct answer is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [4]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Re: In a speech before the Senate Banking Committee, the chairman of the F [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In a speech before the Senate Banking Committee, the chairman of the Federal Reserve painted an optimistic picture of the economy, suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates.

A. suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates

B. suggesting to investors that the central bank would not lower interest rates in the near future - Painted(Past) + would(conditional). Correct

C. which suggests that to investors in the near future interest rates will not be lowered by the central bank

D. with the suggestion to investors in the near future that interest rates would not be lowered by the central bank - Wordy & muddled. Meaning issue as well.

E. with the suggestion to investors of interest rates not being lowered in the near future by the central bank - Meaning issue.

Answer B.

Thanks,
GyM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Kudos
Solved this question with just meaning wise.

A- when we suggest something, we expect that clause .
B- Correct
C- Here which refers to the picture. Illogical meaning
D- Are we talking about investor in the near future - Wrong modifier .
E- investor of interest rates - again wrong modifier
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

In a speech before the Senate Banking Committee, the chairman of the Federal Reserve painted an optimistic picture of the economy, suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates.

Here the sentence implies that the chairman painted a optim.. picture by suggesting that interests will not be lowered....
So "an optimistic picture of the economy" is the result of the Chairman "suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates."..... doesnt "suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates" act as the result of "an optimistic picture of the economy"?

Shouldnt we use the "ing modifier" for the effect of an action instead of the action itself?

Please help on this...
Thanks in advance
"

But in (b)...
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Here the sentence implies that the chairman painted a optim.. picture by suggesting that interests will not be lowered....
So "an optimistic picture of the economy" is the result of the Chairman "suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates."..... doesnt "suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates" act as the result of "an optimistic picture of the economy"?

Shouldnt we use the "ing modifier" for the effect of an action instead of the action itself?

Please help on this...
Thanks in advance
"

But in (b)...

"suggesting to the investors ..." is the effect of an action.

... the chairman painted an optimistic picture of the economy, suggesting that the bank would not lower interest rates...

The chairman would have talked about positive industry data, possible reduction in deficit etc - painted an optimistic picture.
This suggested (indicated) that the bank would not lower interest rates in future.

The chairman did not say that the bank would not lower interest rates. That is just an indication from painting a positive picture - that reduction in rate is not required since the economy is expected to do well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [4]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates

(B) suggesting to investors that the central bank would not lower interest rates in the near future

(C) which suggests that to investors in the near future interest rates will not be lowered by the central bank

(D) with the suggestion to investors in the near future that interest rates would not be lowered by the central bank

(E) with the suggestion to investors of interest rates not being lowered in the near future by the central bank

Meaning:

1st: The Chairman is giving a speech in Senate Banking Committee.
2nd:The chairman is paining an optimistic picture of the economy.
3rd: The chairman is suggesting to investor that central bank s not lowering its interest rates near future.

POE:

(A) suggesting to investors the central bank in the near future is not lowering interest rates

Suggesting: Good one. Who is suggesting " The Chairman"( So this is clear).

Mistake: 1. "In the near future" is not in the proper place.
2. The Chairman is suggesting, it means something in future is gonna happen. So for future, using is not lowering( present participle) is wrong. So this is the wrong option.

(WRONG)
(B) suggesting to investors that the central bank would not lower interest rates in the near future

Correct: Suggesting: Good one. Who is suggesting " The Chairman"( So this is clear).
1. "In the near future" is in proper place.
2."would" not lower interest rates( We use Would in hypothetical situation . So correctly used. (This is the correct answer)
(Correct)

(C) which suggests that to investors in the near future interest rates will not be lowered by the central bank

Mistake: 1.Which is referring to economy. This is wrong. Economy is not suggesting, the Chairman is suggesting.
2.will not be lower: They have used the future tense but for future certainty. So wrong.
(WRONG)

(D) with the suggestion to investors in the near future that interest rates would not be lowered by the central bank

1. "with the suggestion": this one is referring to the optimistic picture not the chairman.
2.in the near future: again in wrong place.
3.interest rates would not be lowered: or the bank would not be lowered the interest rate.
(WRONG)

(E) with the suggestion to investors of interest rates not being lowered in the near future by the central bank

1. same issue as D
2.Interest rates : Same as D
3.being lowered: Passive form ( GMAT not every-time encourage to use Passive)

(WRONG)

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thanks,
Bijay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Is the sentence structure "suggesting to" correct? Don't you think it should be only "suggesting"?..If we are providing a suggestion to the investors, shouldn't it be "suggesting investors" ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Saharsh95 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Is the sentence structure "suggesting to" correct? Don't you think it should be only "suggesting"?..If we are providing a suggestion to the investors, shouldn't it be "suggesting investors" ?
No. We need a to there. Otherwise, we'll be "recommending" the investors.

He suggested the GRE as an alternative to the GMAT. ← He "recommended" X as Y.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM

Hi experts,
Can we drop "THAT" in option B without making it wrong.
I understand Option A is wrong due to wrong placement of "in the near future"/ Present tense, but dropping of THAT is allowed here?
How to decide when we can drop THAT & when not??
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GAURAV1113 wrote:

Hi GAURAV1113, I highly doubt whether we can codify absolute rules around the usage of that that will work 100% of the times.

Broadly speaking, words of reporting (suggesting in this case) should preferably be followed by that.

If we look at it from a meaning clarity perspective, A does, seem to indicate that the chairman of the Federal Reserve suggested to investors the central bank!

This is clearly not the intended meaning. The chairman of the Federal Reserve clearly did not suggest to investors the central bank; the chairman of the Federal Reserve suggested to investors something about the central bank: that the central bank would not lower interest rates.

Hence, the usage of that adds meaning clarity.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these meaning related nuances, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GRE 1: Q162 V151
GPA: 4
Send PM
Can someone help me the verb for "The Senate Banking Committee" ? As I didn't find the verb for SBC I eliminated A&B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
akhil1895 wrote:
Can someone help me the verb for "The Senate Banking Committee" ? As I didn't find the verb for SBC I eliminated A&B

Hi akhil1895 you dont need verb for SBC as it is part of the modifying phrase "In a speech before.."
Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
GAURAV1113 wrote:

Hi GAURAV1113, I highly doubt whether we can codify absolute rules around the usage of that that will work 100% of the times.

Broadly speaking, words of reporting (suggesting in this case) should preferably be followed by that.

If we look at it from a meaning clarity perspective, A does, seem to indicate that the chairman of the Federal Reserve suggested to investors the central bank!

This is clearly not the intended meaning. The chairman of the Federal Reserve clearly did not suggest to investors the central bank; the chairman of the Federal Reserve suggested to investors something about the central bank: that the central bank would not lower interest rates.

Hence, the usage of that adds meaning clarity.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these meaning related nuances, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Hi EducationAisle

Given we already had verb tense issue with A, I elimintaed it without heeding to whether it contained that or not, but I have one questions related to the meaning that you explained for option A. Based on my understading "that" is optional if the relative clause contains the main subject itself. See below two examples

1. The baboon that Irving was feeding had an angry look about it (Irving is the subject of relative clause , so we can drop that from the sentence)
2. The baboon Irving was feeding had an angry look about it

In our example as well "Central Bank" is the subject, so isnt that optional here too?

What if the only difference between option A and B was of "that"? What would have been the correct answer then?

Appreciate your time.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
Send PM
In a speech before the Senate Banking Committee, the chairman of the F [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
1. The baboon that Irving was feeding had an angry look about it (Irving is the subject of relative clause , so we can drop that from the sentence)
2. The baboon Irving was feeding had an angry look about it

In our example as well "Central Bank" is the subject, so isnt that optional here too?

What if the only difference between option A and B was of "that"? What would have been the correct answer then?

I agree with you Rohit; in fact there are numerous official sentences as well that omit the that. For example:

On first encountering leaf-cutting ants in South America, some Europeans thought the insects were carrying bits of greenery to shade themselves from the tropical sun—hence the sobriquet “parasol ants.”.

None of such official questions (that I have come across) have the "presence/absence" of that as the only difference between two options. If this were to happen in an official question in future, I would be more inclined towards choosing the option using a "that" :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Hello experts,

I would like to know the role of ,with in this question!
I know B is far better than any of the choices!
but with always scares me!

In D,
Is it modifying the action of previous clause?
Chairman painted - with the suggestion - it doesn't seem wrong to me apart from being wordy!
I know the placement of "near future is wrong" but still
Can ,with modify previous action and the doer or just action?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos