Last visit was: 15 Jun 2024, 12:27 It is currently 15 Jun 2024, 12:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 691 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q85 V81 DI82 (Online)
GPA: 9.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB PGP Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2025 [#permalink]
Is working for a Family Business considered better over a consulting job? How are the two individually treated?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Gprabhumir wrote:
Is working for a Family Business considered better over a consulting job? How are the two individually treated?

Showcasing any work-ex (be it your own venture, working with a startup, corporate, or a consulting firm) is a function of the kind of outcomes you can talk about in the essays (and later on justify in the interviews). By outcomes, I mean - projects delivered, teams led, appreciation awards, fast-tracked promotion. Hope this helps, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
I have a 700 in GMAT. But the quant score is 45 which is only 57 percentile. Does that mean 700 is not good enough
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Vaishali2004 wrote:
I have a 700 in GMAT. But the quant score is 45 which is only 57 percentile. Does that mean 700 is not good enough

ISB doesn’t look at sectional percentiles but the overall score (SPJIMR does, in case that’s on your radar)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Okay, thank you
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Calling all ISB PGP Applicants: 2024 Intake Class of 2025 [#permalink]

Vaishali2004 wrote:

­Vaishali2004 The ISB class average is between 710-720(old edition). Whether your 700 is good enough for you will depend on the rest of your profile (academics, career progression, goals, and personality). I would like to be candid here and say that the rest of your profile should be strong enough to carry the weight of your GMAT and not the other way around. If you recognize that may not be the case, it's best to consider a retake. Happy to advise you further

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all I want to apply for early entry option of isb my engineering CGPA is 7.5, my intermediate percentage is 82.8 my 10th CGPA is 9.0, i am currently working as an intern which I gained through campus placement, I was sports club leader and English club leader ( at different points of times) in my school, I run a family business alongside my father and we have seen significant growth after i got involved. I am also an nptel gold medalist. Please tell me if I have a chance( I am mostly afraid of my poor academics) at EEO and also kindly tell me what I can do to improve my profile in 2 years so I can have a better chance later even if I get rejected now,

And also please tell me how much GMAT score should I aim for
SVP
SVP
Send PM

Gprabhumir wrote:

­
Gprabhumir Very interesting question! I am going to share some candid thoughts (apologise for the long answer but think this will give some perspective). You may want to consider these points for either experience when presenting your case in a B-school application.

Consulting -Consulting jobs, especially management consulting jobs, are top-tier feeders for MBA programs due to the variety of projects, which give candidates ample opportunities to engage with diverse stakeholders and clients. There is a general perception that consulting candidates possess great interpersonal skills and more relevant business management skills required in post-MBA careers.

Challenges: Adcoms see a lot of potential in consulting candidates (and we can understand why). However, there are certain areas where they will be challenged, such as demonstrating tangible impact and the ability to implement strategies on the ground. Consulting applicants may face tough questions in interviews from alumni interviewers who may be biased by the notion that consultants rarely have experience in implementing solutions rather than selling them. With the increase in pre-MBA consulting opportunities, B-schools have become somewhat selective about what really makes a strong candidate among pre-MBA consultants. Winning applicants will show sectoral expertise, specialized skills, and examples of leadership and execution.

Family Business- Most B-School applicants with a family background underestimate the depth of experience they have gained. One aspect that is highly valued by both business schools and recruiters is hands-on experience in directly managing various important projects (if you come from a family business, you should have had this experience). If you were involved in family business, think about the contributions you have made and focus on the key success metrics that you have independently led. Candidates who have experience running a family business can offer a unique perspective, as they have experienced first-hand the impact of decisions that are aligned with specific goals. As a member of a new generation in the family business, you can illustrate your case with examples that highlight your fresh and unconventional approach to the business. This will set you apart from the traditional norms that family business management adheres to and motivate you to pursue an MBA now.

Challenges : It can be hard for family business candidates to convince adcoms of their true potential because many of the achievements in the application are easy to fabricate. The adcoms will thoroughly judge your employability if you are planning to switch to the corporate sector post-MBA. This is why B-school adcoms are more hesitant to admit family business candidates unless they can really prove themselves or they come from very influential families (B-schools love association with wards of business magnate families). If they feel you may not be a good fit for the flagship program, many B-schools will ask you to explore dedicated management programs for family business candidates.­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V27
Send PM
Is anybody here planning to apply this year to ISB and is in Bangalore. Pls DM. Need some inputs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
GMAT 770
SRCC 9.29/10 GPA
Gold Medalist
Work: Product Analyst at Sprinklr (NYSE-listed B2B Adtech SaaS)
Working since July 2022.

Internships:
Qure.ai - Client Success Intern
MicroSave Consulting - Strategy Consulting Intern

PORs:
Executive Board Member: Business Conclave (Market Mania) - Asia’s Largest UG Business Fest

Event Manager: C2P Summit and SEIP (Pan Indian Social B-Plan competitions)

Co-editor : Annual College Magazine

Entrepreneurship:

Former Director, Enactus SRCC: Student Run NPO - 4 social businesses in the WASH, craft and waste management segments.

Family Business: Paper wholesale dealership and distributorship.

Others:
Published a book, released by the Former Supreme Court Judge of India.

Competitions:
Semi-finalist - Eureka by IIT Bombay
3 International Awards
Winner - Harvard US-India Initiative
Top 3 - Hult Prize by Hult B-School, Melbourne

I am confused between ISB and M7. Please advise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
Schools: Stern '26
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
rt.muthiah wrote:
GMAT 770
SRCC 9.29/10 GPA
Gold Medalist
Working since July 2022.

Internships:

PORs:
Executive Board Member: Business Conclave (Market Mania) - Asia’s Largest UG Business Fest

Entrepreneurship:

Former Director, Enactus SRCC: Student Run NPO - 4 social businesses in the WASH, craft and waste management segments.

Others:

Competitions:
3 International Awards

ISB will be better unless you’re ok to wait for atleast 3 more years for good M7 profile.
SVP
SVP
Send PM

rt.muthiah wrote:
GMAT 770
SRCC 9.29/10 GPA
Gold Medalist
Working since July 2022.

Internships:

PORs:

Entrepreneurship:

Others:

Competitions:
3 International Awards

­@rt.muthiah Great academics and the GMAT- could it get any better? Congratulations on excelling in the academic aspect of the B-school applications. To decide on the right target schools for you, you must consider multiple factors such as ROI, the right school environment, culture, location, strength in your chosen industry, and where you want to work in the short to mid-term (India vs. the USA). This is as brief as I can be here, but honestly, that's a tall order question, and you must really do your own research to unravel your true motivations. Feel free to request a deeper discussion.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alumna, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aanchal-sahni-83b00819/  
|WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

­
SVP
SVP
Send PM

Venkatvivek wrote:
Hi all I want to apply for early entry option of isb my engineering CGPA is 7.5, my intermediate percentage is 82.8 my 10th CGPA is 9.0, i am currently working as an intern which I gained through campus placement, I was sports club leader and English club leader ( at different points of times) in my school, I run a family business alongside my father and we have seen significant growth after i got involved. I am also an nptel gold medalist. Please tell me if I have a chance( I am mostly afraid of my poor academics) at EEO and also kindly tell me what I can do to improve my profile in 2 years so I can have a better chance later even if I get rejected now,

And also please tell me how much GMAT score should I aim for

­Venkatvivek Hi, an early entry option for a family business applicant is relatively rare. The bigger question is- why do you need an early entry option? Do you think that as the time goes by your experience will become less impactful or relevant because of which you want to secure a seat earlier? 
I wrote a few suggestions for family business candidates earlier on this thread. Kindly refer to that. Feel free to connect and discuss your case
Best wishes
Aanchal
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Process & Eligibility for GMAT Waiver​​​​​​​

Join us for a webinar to discuss the importance of a GMAT/GRE Score in MBA Applications. You will get first-hand insights directly from our successful applicants who made it to Cambridge Judge & Rice Jones with a Low GRE score and GMAT waiver.

Speakers:
1. Anirukta Srivastava: Got into Cambridge Judge with 325 GRE & Scholarship.
2. Pooja Singh: Got into Rice Jones and John Hopkins with GMAT waiver and scholarship.

📅 May 30, 2024
🕘 11.30 AM ET | 9.00 PM IST

At the end of the session, get a sample optional essay to explain your Low GMAT/GRE score.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE SESSION.​​​​​​​
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hey! I am a 25 year old male working professional aiming for ISB. I’m having a hard time concentrating and doing it on my own. I was wondering if anyone would be okay with being virtual study partners or something if that’s not too weird a request?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all. I am interested in knowing my chances of getting into ISB through the YLP program. Below is my profile.

GMAT FE: 655 (93rd percentile)
Class XII: 96%
Class X: 94%
College CGPA: 8.8/10
College: NSUT (Graduating in 2024)

Work Experience: None
Did 3 internships. My last internship was at PwC, where I will be joining full-time as an analyst in August.

Extra-Curricular:
Close to zero. Devoted a lot of time to studying. Apart from that, I have been a stock market investor since the age of 19. Have a habit of writing posts/blogs on platforms like Quora and Medium. Was the corporate head of my university society for a year.

Application Status:
Applied to ISB YLP in round 2 (March 31 deadline). Got selected for stage 2. Currently in the final year of my BTech.

I am looking for some feedback on how I should approach my stage 2 application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys, I a,

Hi guys, I am currently an MBA student at ISB Hyd. Would love to help answer queries/ doubts on admissions/ profiles. Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  358   359   360   361   362  ...  365