Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 20:42 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 20:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,    Short Passage,    Social Science,                                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1951 [88]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [23]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [11]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2780 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and [#permalink]
Kudos
Guys, just out of curiosity, have you been timing your passages?

Actually do you keep track of the time when solving these practice problems. My approach is to practice a ton of passages and get myself really familiar with the questions and reasoning logic required to answer each of them effectively. I plan to start practicing under a under timed environment pretty soon. However, the issue I come across while practicing under time is that I tend to focus more on the time rather than the passage. Its like someone shouting in my ears -- hurry UPPP, you are running out of time. You know what I mean?

How do you guys go about practicing RC's. I'd appreciate it if you could share your approach/strategy. Later!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and [#permalink]
Kudos
vksunder wrote:
Guys, just out of curiosity, have you been timing your passages?

Actually do you keep track of the time when solving these practice problems. My approach is to practice a ton of passages and get myself really familiar with the questions and reasoning logic required to answer each of them effectively. I plan to start practicing under a under timed environment pretty soon. However, the issue I come across while practicing under time is that I tend to focus more on the time rather than the passage. Its like someone shouting in my ears -- hurry UPPP, you are running out of time. You know what I mean?

How do you guys go about practicing RC's. I'd appreciate it if you could share your approach/strategy. Later!

record your time, but don't limit your time. Always record your time, then you'll get use to it, and won't feel the stress of having to finish within x amount of time.

Once you have a good baseline of how long you're taking for the passages, then start limiting your time to add the time pressure. You'll get use to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 717 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
What does the last sentence mean in the 1st para "were useless in analyzing the political activities of women, who were denied the vote until1920."

They were denied to vote OR they were denied vote (as in they were in the election campaign and no one voted for women politicians)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi,

Regarding below question:
5. Which of the following best describes the structure of the first paragraph of the passage?
(A) Two scholarly approaches are compared, and a shortcoming common to both is identified.
Both old and the newer schools of historians neglected the role of women in politics. Correct
(B) Two rival schools of thought are contrasted, and a third is alluded to.
(C) An outmoded scholarly approach is described, and a corrective approach is called for.
(D) An argument is outlined, and counter arguments are mentioned.
(E) A historical era is described in terms of its political trends.

The passage says "Like the old approach, however, this new approach excluded women".
What I inferred from this like is "New approach neglected women and old approach included women".
Since word however is used to show contrast.
But, my inference is wrong as per OE.
Please experts someone help me.

Thanks & regards,
Sunil01

grepro wrote:
IMO

1--B
2--D
3--D
4--E
5--A
6--C

OA Please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
JarvisR wrote:
9 mins all correct.
~3 mins for Para.

Hi JarvisR,

Regarding below question:
5. Which of the following best describes the structure of the first paragraph of the passage?
(A) Two scholarly approaches are compared, and a shortcoming common to both is identified.
Both old and the newer schools of historians neglected the role of women in politics. Correct
(B) Two rival schools of thought are contrasted, and a third is alluded to.
(C) An outmoded scholarly approach is described, and a corrective approach is called for.
(D) An argument is outlined, and counter arguments are mentioned.
(E) A historical era is described in terms of its political trends.

The passage says "Like the old approach, however, this new approach excluded women".
What I inferred from this like is "New approach neglected women and old approach included women".
Since word however is used to show contrast.
But, my inference is wrong as per OE.
Please help me.

Thanks & regards,
Sunil01
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4610 [1]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Sunil01:
Apologises for late response. Leme know if this answers ur query.

The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and 1970’s sought to go beyond the traditional focus blah blah...
Like the old approach, however, this new approach excluded women.

>> A new school of PH emerged... However, like old approach, new approach suffered same flaw. How?

The very techniques these historians used to uncover mass political behavior in the nineteenth-century United State – quantitative analyses of election returns, for example –were useless in analyzing the political activities of women, who were denied the vote until 1920.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [4]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
4. According to the passage, Paula Baker and the new political historians of the 1960’s and 1970’s shared which of the following?
(A) A commitment to interest-group politics
(B) A disregard for political theory and ideology
(C) An interest in the ways in which nineteenth-century politics prefigured contemporary politics
(D) A reliance on such quatitiative techniques as the analysis of election returns
(E) An emplasis on the political involvement of ordinary citizens

New political historians : by examining directly the political practices of ordinary citizens (to go beyond the traditional focus of political historians on leaders and government institutions) excluding women

By redefining “political activity,” historian Paula Baker has developed a political history that includes women. so included women. so both - An emplasis on the political involvement of ordinary citizens

6. The information in the passage suggests that a pre1960’s political historian would have been most likely to undertake which of the following studies?
(A) An analysis of voting trends among women voters of the 1920’s
(B) A study of male voters’ gradual ideological shift from party politics to issue-oriented politics
(C) A biography of an influential nineteenth-century minister of foreign affairs
(D) An analysis of narratives written by previously unrecognized women activitists
(E) A study of voting trends among naturalized immigrant laborers in a nineteenth-century logging camp

New political historians : by examining directly the political practices of ordinary citizens (to go beyond the traditional focus of political historians on leaders and government institutions) excluding women
=> that indicates that a pre1960’s political historian was interested more in "leaders" and "government institute" so C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
can an expert please explain how, for Q1, "B" is a better answer than "A"?

the reason i'm not completely sold on "B" is b/c it mentions A SCHOLARLY APPROACH, when paragraph 1 clearly notes TWO approaches -- a "new school" (in the 1960s & 1970s) AND a "traditional/old approach" (predates this). the difference between the two is clearly delineated: the "new" approach examines the political practices of ordinary citizens.

so, i can understand how the second part of "B" is correct -- it correctly mentions there's an alternative approach (Baker), BUT i don't like how it seems to consolidate the two views (elaborated above) into one.

the only reason i get rid of "A" is b/c there are no limitations associated with Baker. but both A/C seem odd...
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64120 [7]
Given Kudos: 1803
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) enumerate reason why both traditional scholarly methods and newer scholarly methods have limitations
(B) identify a shortcoming in a scholarly approach and describe an alternative approach
(C) provide empirical data to support a long-held scholarly assumption
(D) compare two sholarly publications on the basis of their authors’ backgrounds
(E) attempt to provide a partial answer to a lon-standing scholarly dilemna

LakerFan24 wrote:
can an expert please explain how, for Q1, "B" is a better answer than "A"?

the reason i'm not completely sold on "B" is b/c it mentions A SCHOLARLY APPROACH, when paragraph 1 clearly notes TWO approaches -- a "new school" (in the 1960s & 1970s) AND a "traditional/old approach" (predates this). the difference between the two is clearly delineated: the "new" approach examines the political practices of ordinary citizens.

so, i can understand how the second part of "B" is correct -- it correctly mentions there's an alternative approach (Baker), BUT i don't like how it seems to consolidate the two views (elaborated above) into one.

the only reason i get rid of "A" is b/c there are no limitations associated with Baker. but both A/C seem odd...

Yes, the passage mentions two scholarly approaches (one new and one old). But the author tells us that even the new scholarly approach has a shortcoming (the same shortcoming that the old one had).

The author basically says, "So, a new school emerged in the 60's and 70's. But even though it was DIFFERENT from the old approach, it still had the same shortcoming as the old approach." The author wants us to know that the new approach didn't address that shortcoming.

So the author's main purpose is to tell us that the second approach, though new and different, still had the same shortcoming. Although two approaches are mentioned, the author is primarily concerned with identifying the shortcoming of the second approach.

In general, when thinking about the purpose of each paragraph or of the passage, think about "why?", not "what?". Yes, the passage mentions two approaches, but is the shortcoming of the old approach central to the author's main purpose? For more help with RC problems, check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1595 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
HI mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert (Carolyn )

Can you please explain this que?

6. The information in the passage suggests that a pre-1960’s political historian would have been most likely to undertake which of the following studies?

(A) An analysis of voting trends among women voters of the 1920’s
(B) A study of male voters’ gradual ideological shift from party politics to issue-oriented politics
(C) A biography of an influential nineteenth-century minister of foreign affairs
(D) An analysis of narratives written by previously unrecognized women activists
(E) A study of voting trends among naturalized immigrant laborers in a nineteenth-century logging camp
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage quotes Baker directly in the second paragraph primarily in order to

(A) clarify a position before providing an alternative to that position
(B) differentiate between a novel definition and traditional definitions
(C) provide an example of a point agreed on by different generations of scholars
(D) provide an example of the prose style of an important historian
(E) amplify a definition given in the first paragraph Made a mistake here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's wrong because there is no actual definition given in the first paragraph.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64120 [8]
Given Kudos: 1803
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos