GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 22:17
Short passage but number of questions are more, Here are my answers
1. B
2. D
3. E
4. E
5. A
6. C..

Choose wrong option for question No. 3, thinking the passage quotes baker's directly in the second paragraph primarily for amplifying a definition given in the first paragraph...
Made a mistake.
Intern
Intern
Re: The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 02:16
Can someone pls explain me "Like the old approach, however, this new approach excluded women' (para 1) .. I am not that great in grammer or language..so only thing i could understand was - 'new approach is similar to old approach'... What role does this word 'however' play here...To a layman, the use of this word seems redundant here...I saw this word being used in similar fashion in some other RC's also.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 04:44
only 1 incorrect, else all correct => comparative easy passage.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 10:33
All correct except Q3 , Took almost 11 mins , including 4 mins to read

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 12:51
can an expert please explain how, for Q1, "B" is a better answer than "A"?

the reason i'm not completely sold on "B" is b/c it mentions A SCHOLARLY APPROACH, when paragraph 1 clearly notes TWO approaches -- a "new school" (in the 1960s & 1970s) AND a "traditional/old approach" (predates this). the difference between the two is clearly delineated: the "new" approach examines the political practices of ordinary citizens.

so, i can understand how the second part of "B" is correct -- it correctly mentions there's an alternative approach (Baker), BUT i don't like how it seems to consolidate the two views (elaborated above) into one.

the only reason i get rid of "A" is b/c there are no limitations associated with Baker. but both A/C seem odd...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 13:35
B, D, B, E, A, C

9:07 for 4 questions :)

10:40 for all 6 questions

Here to help if anyone needs dissection of this passage. :)

Any and all Kudos are appreciated
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 19:19
Quote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) enumerate reason why both traditional scholarly methods and newer scholarly methods have limitations
(B) identify a shortcoming in a scholarly approach and describe an alternative approach
(C) provide empirical data to support a long-held scholarly assumption
(D) compare two sholarly publications on the basis of their authors’ backgrounds
(E) attempt to provide a partial answer to a lon-standing scholarly dilemna

LakerFan24 wrote:
can an expert please explain how, for Q1, "B" is a better answer than "A"?

the reason i'm not completely sold on "B" is b/c it mentions A SCHOLARLY APPROACH, when paragraph 1 clearly notes TWO approaches -- a "new school" (in the 1960s & 1970s) AND a "traditional/old approach" (predates this). the difference between the two is clearly delineated: the "new" approach examines the political practices of ordinary citizens.

so, i can understand how the second part of "B" is correct -- it correctly mentions there's an alternative approach (Baker), BUT i don't like how it seems to consolidate the two views (elaborated above) into one.

the only reason i get rid of "A" is b/c there are no limitations associated with Baker. but both A/C seem odd...

Yes, the passage mentions two scholarly approaches (one new and one old). But the author tells us that even the new scholarly approach has a shortcoming (the same shortcoming that the old one had).

The author basically says, "So, a new school emerged in the 60's and 70's. But even though it was DIFFERENT from the old approach, it still had the same shortcoming as the old approach." The author wants us to know that the new approach didn't address that shortcoming.

So the author's main purpose is to tell us that the second approach, though new and different, still had the same shortcoming. Although two approaches are mentioned, the author is primarily concerned with identifying the shortcoming of the second approach.

In general, when thinking about the purpose of each paragraph or of the passage, think about "why?", not "what?". Yes, the passage mentions two approaches, but is the shortcoming of the old approach central to the author's main purpose? For more help with RC problems, check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 22:42
HI mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert (Carolyn )

Can you please explain this que?

6. The information in the passage suggests that a pre-1960’s political historian would have been most likely to undertake which of the following studies?

(A) An analysis of voting trends among women voters of the 1920’s
(B) A study of male voters’ gradual ideological shift from party politics to issue-oriented politics
(C) A biography of an influential nineteenth-century minister of foreign affairs
(D) An analysis of narratives written by previously unrecognized women activists
(E) A study of voting trends among naturalized immigrant laborers in a nineteenth-century logging camp

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 12:46
NandishSS wrote:
HI mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert (Carolyn )

Can you please explain this que?

6. The information in the passage suggests that a pre-1960’s political historian would have been most likely to undertake which of the following studies?

(A) An analysis of voting trends among women voters of the 1920’s
(B) A study of male voters’ gradual ideological shift from party politics to issue-oriented politics
(C) A biography of an influential nineteenth-century minister of foreign affairs
(D) An analysis of narratives written by previously unrecognized women activists
(E) A study of voting trends among naturalized immigrant laborers in a nineteenth-century logging camp

Hi NandishSS!

Happy to help :-)

This question is asking about political historians before the 1960s. The key to this question lies in the very first sentence of the passage:

Quote:
The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and 1970’s sought to go beyond the traditional focus of political historians on leaders and government institutions by examining directly the political practices of ordinary citizens.

This is saying that before the 1960s, political historians focused on leaders and government institutions, rather than ordinary citizens. So we want to look for an answer choice that talks about a political leader or government institution. Choice (C) fits this: A biography of an influential nineteenth-century minister of foreign affairs. Since this is about a political leader, it would be a typical study for a pre-1960s historian.

Does that make sense?
:-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 07:05
Why 6th question is "C"?Can anyone please explain?Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 07:49
3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage quotes Baker directly in the second paragraph primarily in order to

(A) clarify a position before providing an alternative to that position
(B) differentiate between a novel definition and traditional definitions
(C) provide an example of a point agreed on by different generations of scholars
(D) provide an example of the prose style of an important historian
(E) amplify a definition given in the first paragraph Made a mistake here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's wrong because there is no actual definition given in the first paragraph.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 16:17
rakeshachanta wrote:
Why 6th question is "C"?Can anyone please explain?Thanks in advance

This was very nicely explained by MagooshExpert (hi Carolyn!) in the previous post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-new-scho ... l#p2066547.

jawele wrote:
3. It can be inferred that the author of the passage quotes Baker directly in the second paragraph primarily in order to

(A) clarify a position before providing an alternative to that position
(B) differentiate between a novel definition and traditional definitions
(C) provide an example of a point agreed on by different generations of scholars
(D) provide an example of the prose style of an important historian
(E) amplify a definition given in the first paragraph Made a mistake here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's wrong because there is no actual definition given in the first paragraph.

... also, we are told that Paula Baker redefined “political activity.” Her definition of politics would be different that the traditional definition. So even if the first paragraph had a definition, Paula's definition would not AMPLIFY the definition in the first paragraph.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and   [#permalink] 30 May 2018, 16:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

The new school of political history that emerged in the 1960’s and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap