Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 04:41 It is currently 14 May 2024, 04:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink]
Also dinged.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is this for R2? Isn't the decision date April 2nd?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
DINGED!!! These Schools have only one mantra ... blue chip, vagabond and thats it.... If you are Indian, Male and for some reason you did a mistake of doing anything with computer, you are out!!! :) Anyways ... very frustrated.... need a drink!!! :) :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
krazo wrote:
Just got dinged

UCLA it is

Dinged here too. I expect the same treatment with Stanford, so I'll hopefully be joining you at UCLA.

788512AM wrote:
DINGED!!! These Schools have only one mantra ... blue chip, vagabond and thats it.... If you are Indian, Male and for some reason you did a mistake of doing anything with computer, you are out!!! :) Anyways ... very frustrated.... need a drink!!! :) :)

I couldn't agree with you more, though you can add "white US male with anything other than consulting or IB on resume". I spent 10 years across 2 big companies building a resume I thought would be worthy of these schools. I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA. I've done years of strategy work on decisions as big as $2B. Yet, I was told in a ding report that my experience is "boring" simply because of my titles. How more superficial can you get?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Gone4it wrote:
I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA.

Maybe you don't need the degree, then? I, for one, want the MBA to be in your shoes. You already have that except you haven't spent 200k.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
jjoeteller wrote:
Gone4it wrote:
I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA.

Maybe you don't need the degree, then? I, for one, want the MBA to be in your shoes. You already have that except you haven't spent 200k.

It doesn't diminished my need...it's simply different. I run into my own ceilings pursuing certain jobs not having checked the MBA box; and while my experience taught me a lot about how corporations think, operate, and make decisions, I've learned very little about starting your own entrepreneurial endeavor.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Those who were dinged... did you interview and then get dinged or no interview?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
kmackattack wrote:
Those who were dinged... did you interview and then get dinged or no interview?

Ding, no interview.

Just heard this morning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
I did not get anything today. Whats up with that? I dont want to fall into the delusion that I will get an invite or waitlist for not getting anything today. I am sure my rejection is also on its way or in another incomming wave of decisions tomorrow or april 2nd.

:(
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
I did not get anything today. Whats up with that? I dont want to fall into the delusion that I will get an invite or waitlist for not getting anything today. I am sure my rejection is also on its way or in another incomming wave of decisions tomorrow or april 2nd.

:(

As they say, it's not over 'til it's over. Don't give up hope until you get the email that says "Your decision is available online."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Gone4it wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more, though you can add "white US male with anything other than consulting or IB on resume". I spent 10 years across 2 big companies building a resume I thought would be worthy of these schools. I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA. I've done years of strategy work on decisions as big as $2B. Yet, I was told in a ding report that my experience is "boring" simply because of my titles. How more superficial can you get?

Consulting work experience is no hall pass. I work for a very prestigious firm and have been dinged by everyone from Wharton to Yale.

Don't stress, fellow dingers. Going to a less prestigious school probably won't diminish your chances of making it in your career of choice. Maybe you won't start off at Goldman or McKinsey, but then again, most people who graduate from HBS don't either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
any idea on what to expect this week?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Gone4it wrote:

How superficial can YOU get??? I'm glad the adcom smelled the poor sportsmanship through your apps. Seriously, your reaction is to criticize the process and stereotype successful applicants? I have met some of the most amazing and diverse people through Sloan events for admitted students, and white US males have apparently been very successful in finding careers outside of consulting or IB - contrary to "popular belief".

I don't imply that your WE is not impressive or that you're not well accomplished. Everyone here is definitely qualified. But maybe the writing was a bit off or the stories just didn't resonate. But whatever the reason, start reevaluating yourself in the mirror instead of assuming we're all blue chip or vagabonds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Send PM
I had already given up on MIT since I am yet to receive an interview invitation. What does it mean if an applicant hasnt been invited for an interview at this point. I know that they have sent out some dings. What does it mean for applicants like me who are yet to be invited and who havent been dinged. I dont want to have any false hope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
danjohn4real wrote:
I had already given up on MIT since I am yet to receive an interview invitation. What does it mean if an applicant hasnt been invited for an interview at this point. I know that they have sent out some dings. What does it mean for applicants like me who are yet to be invited and who havent been dinged. I dont want to have any false hope.

If you don't get an interview invite till the last day, you can either get a WL or a ding on the decision date. If you get a WL, they may then invite you for interview later on and decide your fate based on that :)

I would say that keep your hopes alive !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Gone4it wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you weren't accepted. I know how frustrating it can be. I applied to schools last year and managed to get one waitlist and string of rejections. It was pretty disheartening and made me really doubt myself. Quite honestly, in hindsight, I am really glad I didn't get in last year. The experience made me take a hard look at my candidacy. As a result, my essays were much stronger (I probably wrote 6-7 drafts for each essay for each school). My job would probably be considered "boring" as I wrote my application last year. I just didn't highlight or focus on the "right" things. For the most part I told the same stories, but just in a different way. I learned so much through my experience last year and yeah, it sucked, but I am glad it happened.

Also, I would argue that your assessment of successful candidates is not fair. I certainly do not work in IB or consulting. I work in manufacturing, at a no-name company, in a plant where I am one of 3 people with a college degree; nobody has their MBA and most think I am insane to want to go back to school full time.

I would take a hard look at your applications before you make these blanket assumptions. Top business schools have people of all backgrounds, which to me is one of the elements that make them so appealing. Most everyone who applies to these schools is well qualified to attend. It is just comes down to execution and how well you communicate your experiences.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
In the interest of horribly jinxing myself...does anyone know when the admitted student weekend will be for Round 2?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts