GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

  post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 29
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2012, 01:47
mustin2012 wrote:
Is Sloan still giving out interviews? Had no news at all... :(
US applicant here.


I got an invite a couple of days ago, so they're definitely still going out.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Need urgent help-MIT Legatum scholarship interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2012, 12:24
Hi

I received an invite for interview for MIT-Legatum scholarship yesterday, but i have not received invite for the graduate program. Please let me know the significance of this invite even though the invite mentions that it is not an indication of acceptance in to the graduate school. I chose Mar 27 for the interview, would it affect my interview call to the graduate program in any way, should i reschedule it to an earlier date to up my chances for the invite to MIT graduate program?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.9
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2012, 14:46
Youshould do your interview asap, deadline is around the corner.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2012, 18:30
joerandom wrote:
mustin2012 wrote:
Is Sloan still giving out interviews? Had no news at all... :(
US applicant here.


I got an invite a couple of days ago, so they're definitely still going out.


Congrats! where are you based out of and do you mind sharing your background?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 57
Location: United States
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 09:16
it's just about 2 weeks away from the decision date. I have the feeling that Sloan is over for me.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Joined: 13 Dec 2010
Posts: 75
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 16:19
mustin2012 wrote:
it's just about 2 weeks away from the decision date. I have the feeling that Sloan is over for me.


Yes, this is very odd. R1 applicants that were offered admission have to reply by this Friday, March 23rd, so I wonder if they are waiting to see how many accept before sending out some interview invites? That would only give one week to conduct the interviews, though, and that doesn't seem like enough time. Not sure what to think.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 18:45
Hey guys... has anyone from Boston gotten a round 2 invite? I'm a concurrent degree student (with Harvard Kennedy School) who hasn't received an invite yet and I'm getting worried.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 83
Location: Morocco
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 02:42
spivey181 wrote:
mustin2012 wrote:
it's just about 2 weeks away from the decision date. I have the feeling that Sloan is over for me.


Yes, this is very odd. R1 applicants that were offered admission have to reply by this Friday, March 23rd, so I wonder if they are waiting to see how many accept before sending out some interview invites? That would only give one week to conduct the interviews, though, and that doesn't seem like enough time. Not sure what to think.


MIT adcoms specifically said that they do invite for interviews until the last day, they may also do some interviews after the deadline!
There is thus still a little hope, even though I think these last minute invites are probably rare.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 11:00
Folks,

Has any R2 applicant from India received an interview invite?

Fitz
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q42 V50
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2012, 05:18
unlocked wrote:
Hey guys... has anyone from Boston gotten a round 2 invite? I'm a concurrent degree student (with Harvard Kennedy School) who hasn't received an invite yet and I'm getting worried.

International now based at Boston too. No invitation from Sloan either:(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2012, 09:20
Anyone from South / Southeast Asia been interviewed? Please share!

:cry:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2012, 16:58
YoungSnake wrote:
MIT adcoms specifically said that they do invite for interviews until the last day, they may also do some interviews after the deadline!
There is thus still a little hope, even though I think these last minute invites are probably rare.


I saw that in the chat too. I wish they would've qualified their statement by saying "while we do send invites until the deadline, it's highly rare to receive an invitation within 2 weeks" or "we do send out a good number of invites all the way up to the deadline" so we'd at least know which end of the spectrum it is...even though I think it's the former. It just felt like they were creating a lot of false hope. As a west coast applicant, I figured my time was up when the SFO spots were filled.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 10
Location: United States
GPA: 3.13
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 07:08
Does anyone think it would help to write the adcom and reiterate interest? I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it went too hot. I sent my interviewer a thank you note that was a little lengthier than the notes I sent to my interviewers at other schools, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing. How much does the interview matter at Sloan anyways?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Class of 2014!!
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 08:44
kmackattack wrote:
Does anyone think it would help to write the adcom and reiterate interest? I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it went too hot. I sent my interviewer a thank you note that was a little lengthier than the notes I sent to my interviewers at other schools, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing. How much does the interview matter at Sloan anyways?


Hey sorry to hear about the interview. Hopefully it's not as bad as you thought - we are our own worst enemies! I thought I seriously bombed another school interview and still got in with scholarship, so hope the same works out for you!

That said, I'm not sure how much a note just to reiterate interest would help, unless you have something new or interesting to share. Since it's been a few weeks since your interview, maybe there's a new development at work/ECs that you could use as your "reason" but also slide in there how interested you are after speaking with more current students/alums.

My understanding is that interviews are pretty important - and that goes for every school. What top 20 school doesn't weigh the interview heavily?? It's all about gauging fit. They only admit 50-60% of interviewed applicants (similar to HBS, etc) so it's not just gesture but a definite screen.

Hope it works out! Others care to weigh in?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 10
Location: United States
GPA: 3.13
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 10:22
purpleshirt wrote:
kmackattack wrote:
Does anyone think it would help to write the adcom and reiterate interest? I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it went too hot. I sent my interviewer a thank you note that was a little lengthier than the notes I sent to my interviewers at other schools, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing. How much does the interview matter at Sloan anyways?


Hey sorry to hear about the interview. Hopefully it's not as bad as you thought - we are our own worst enemies! I thought I seriously bombed another school interview and still got in with scholarship, so hope the same works out for you!

That said, I'm not sure how much a note just to reiterate interest would help, unless you have something new or interesting to share. Since it's been a few weeks since your interview, maybe there's a new development at work/ECs that you could use as your "reason" but also slide in there how interested you are after speaking with more current students/alums.

My understanding is that interviews are pretty important - and that goes for every school. What top 20 school doesn't weigh the interview heavily?? It's all about gauging fit. They only admit 50-60% of interviewed applicants (similar to HBS, etc) so it's not just gesture but a definite screen.

Hope it works out! Others care to weigh in?


I'll spare the gory details of my interview, but I basically walked out going "what the @#$%". My interviewer was one tough cookie. I meant more how important is the interview when it's evaluated with the rest of your application at Sloan... if it didn't go well, could other really stellar areas of your application make up for it? Or does a bad interview equal instant ding? My sense is that it varies from school to school but honestly, what do I know?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Class of 2014!!
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 12:01
Sadly, we'll probably never know how it all works. I'm surprised there's no ex-adcom spill all book. Wait, no...they become "consultants" and charge kids $3K+ for their secret sauce.

Anyways, to make it even more complicated, we're probably not just evaluated by our own merits but also if adcom thinks they need another ibanker, non-profit, certain gender/race, etc.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 35
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 16:54
1
kmackattack wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:
kmackattack wrote:
Does anyone think it would help to write the adcom and reiterate interest? I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it went too hot. I sent my interviewer a thank you note that was a little lengthier than the notes I sent to my interviewers at other schools, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing. How much does the interview matter at Sloan anyways?


Hey sorry to hear about the interview. Hopefully it's not as bad as you thought - we are our own worst enemies! I thought I seriously bombed another school interview and still got in with scholarship, so hope the same works out for you!

That said, I'm not sure how much a note just to reiterate interest would help, unless you have something new or interesting to share. Since it's been a few weeks since your interview, maybe there's a new development at work/ECs that you could use as your "reason" but also slide in there how interested you are after speaking with more current students/alums.

My understanding is that interviews are pretty important - and that goes for every school. What top 20 school doesn't weigh the interview heavily?? It's all about gauging fit. They only admit 50-60% of interviewed applicants (similar to HBS, etc) so it's not just gesture but a definite screen.

Hope it works out! Others care to weigh in?


I'll spare the gory details of my interview, but I basically walked out going "what the @#$%". My interviewer was one tough cookie. I meant more how important is the interview when it's evaluated with the rest of your application at Sloan... if it didn't go well, could other really stellar areas of your application make up for it? Or does a bad interview equal instant ding? My sense is that it varies from school to school but honestly, what do I know?


I also had an interview that I thought I totally bombed at another school. When I walked out of the interview I pretty much had the same reaction as you. It turns out I got accepted...I think it is really hard to predict and I think a lot of times we are a lot harder on ourselves than the interviewer probably is (at least I am). So while I thought the interview was terrible, it was probably mediocre. I think the interview for the most part (unless you say or do something that shows a complete lack of fit) is just another data point like your essays, gmat, gpa, etc. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 19
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 20:12
purpleshirt wrote:
Sadly, we'll probably never know how it all works. I'm surprised there's no ex-adcom spill all book. Wait, no...they become "consultants" and charge kids $3K+ for their secret sauce.

Anyways, to make it even more complicated, we're probably not just evaluated by our own merits but also if adcom thinks they need another ibanker, non-profit, certain gender/race, etc.


So true! After seeing the poets & quants data on how few non-top 25 undergraduates get accepted into HBS & Wharton, I'm a little surprised they haven't been sued yet for falsely presenting a sense of equal opportunity.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 91
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2012, 07:07
So today is the day when R1 admitted students are going to confirm their offers. Hopefully we will see some invites on the forum :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Posts: 83
Location: Morocco
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2012, 07:52
cognizant2001 wrote:
So today is the day when R1 admitted students are going to confirm their offers. Hopefully we will see some invites on the forum :)

Posted from my mobile device

I'm not holding my breath! It would be a welcome surprise though :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2012, 07:52

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  45    Next  [ 895 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

  post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne