GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 09:36
cognizant2001 wrote:
YoungSnake wrote:
What about invites in Europe? I haven't seen anyone reported yet?

I haven't seen much invites at all. No big invite waves like other schools. What is Sloan planning to fill up their classes with ? :)
I won't be surprised if MIT has developed some new technology to let extraterrestria apply to the program and all the invites are being sent to them 8-) Damn you ETs :-D

Wow talk about diversity! That makes me even more interested in the program :-D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 20:48
Quote:
kb2112 wrote:
R2/Received invitation to interview/SF

All - just a status update - I received an invitation to interview and scheduled mine for next week. Currently, three slots are remaining, but have hope! When I went to schedule mine, there were fewer than ten left. Fingers crossed for the fellow R2 applicants.

Just throwing a few questions out there:

1) What % of interviewees ultimately receive an offer for admission?
2) To those interviewing at satellite locations - did you interviewer seem tired/more weary towards the end of the day? I'm not sure if it's better to leave the last impression or speak to the interviewer when he/she has already had a full day.

Hello there, congrats! Mind sharing your profile?

Depends on what you'd like to know! F/3 yrs WE/Engineer
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 00:16
Any more San Fran slots open? Any more west coast invites?

I am hoping for just one invite :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 00:33
Any news on scholarships for R1 admits?
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 08:53
Belyok wrote:

from the admitted students google group: "....Dean's fellowships had been awarded, but Forte Fellowships for women had not, and to keep checking our email throughout the week...."
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 09:11
purpleshirt wrote:
Belyok wrote:

from the admitted students google group: "....Dean's fellowships had been awarded, but Forte Fellowships for women had not, and to keep checking our email throughout the week...."

Thanks!

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 13:04
purpleshirt wrote:
Belyok wrote:

I just got an email labeled "MIT Sloan Financial Aid Information" with standard info about FAFSA and applying for loans. More importantly, it says "Please note that Dean’s and Forte fellowships offered through MIT Sloan have already been awarded."

Well, that's that! Congrats to all who received something!!! I'm just thrilled to be a part of the future 2014 class - loans and all! :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.93
WE: Project Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 16:33
Are there scholarships available for r2 applicants too or do they all go out round 1? When will r2 scholarships go out?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 17:18
InnoLa wrote:
Are there scholarships available for r2 applicants too or do they all go out round 1? When will r2 scholarships go out?

I'm sure there's scholarships for R2. It took them a little more than a month to award $$ for R1 kids so probably expect a similar timeline for R2?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 22:22
So can we still expect an invite? Havent seen many international invites going out. Anyone from India?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 06:50
Anyone joining the chat today?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 07:17
Sloan says on its website that "some of the applicants will receieve decision letter earlier if not getting interview".

So anyone anywhere hsa got the ding already for R2?

Seems Sloan is no exception to only announce outcome on decision day.......

Then why bother putting that statement on the website? lousy.....
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 08:42
Combined with the Admit weekend statistics, today's chat provided some interesting data points. 1) it was stated that admission is offered to 60% of interviewees and 2) they interview 800 people (roughly). Now, considering that Admit weekend told us 325 applicants have been admitted in R1, at a 60% interview-to-admission rate, that means they interviewed ~542 applicants in R1. If they truly stay at 800 interviews in total, they would only interview ~258 in R2.

542 x 60% = 325 R1 admits
800 interviews - 542 = 258 R2 interviews
258 x 60% = 155 R2 admits
325 R1 admits + 155 R2 admits = 480 total admits
480 x 70% yield = 336 enrolled.
We know the class size is 400, so something in these #s has to "break"...but, the variations to get to 400 students does make it appear R2 this year is substantially more competitive. Someone asked a question about the admit weekend figures and they said they offer an equal number of admissions in each round. So, perhaps those 800 and 60% figures are off and they are increasing their interviews or a much higher interview-to-admission ratio is seen in R1.

Another item of note. Someone asked how MIT looks at the reputation of the undergrad program. I've read the Poets & Quants article on Wharton & HBS, so I've had this worry too. They say they compare your choice of rigor to the pool. I found this off-putting as if it's to say "if you didn't go to a top school you did it because you wanted something easy" which ignores all the reasons a person chooses a program (ie full ride elsewhere).

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 09:03
Gone4it wrote:
Combined with the Admit weekend statistics, today's chat provided some interesting data points. 1) it was stated that admission is offered to 60% of interviewees and 2) they interview 800 people (roughly). Now, considering that Admit weekend told us 325 applicants have been admitted in R1, at a 60% interview-to-admission rate, that means they interviewed ~542 applicants in R1. If they truly stay at 800 interviews in total, they would only interview ~258 in R2.

We know the class size is 400, so something in these #s has to "break"...but, the variations to get to 400 students does make it appear R2 this year is substantially more competitive. Someone asked a question about the admit weekend figures and they said they offer an equal number of admissions in each round. So, perhaps those 800 and 60% figures are off and they are increasing their interviews or a much higher interview-to-admission ratio is seen in R1.

Another item of note. Someone asked how MIT looks at the reputation of the undergrad program. I've read the Poets & Quants article on Wharton & HBS, so I've had this worry too. They say they compare your choice of rigor to the pool. I found this off-putting as if it's to say "if you didn't go to a top school you did it because you wanted something easy" which ignores all the reasons a person chooses a program (ie full ride elsewhere).

They also stated that they were aiming to have as many admits in round 2 as round 1. something doesn't add up in the numbers...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 10:55
Do any of you who attended the chat session today have a transcript of it? I do know there are three different rooms simultaneously but its possible that someone copied some part of the chat or possibly all of it... Would be great if you could share it. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 11:29
purpleshirt wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:
Belyok wrote:

I just got an email labeled "MIT Sloan Financial Aid Information" with standard info about FAFSA and applying for loans. More importantly, it says "Please note that Dean’s and Forte fellowships offered through MIT Sloan have already been awarded."

Well, that's that! Congrats to all who received something!!! I'm just thrilled to be a part of the future 2014 class - loans and all! :)

Yes, received the same email today. 90% chance that I will be taking a different offer.
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 11:56
YoungSnake wrote:
Gone4it wrote:

They also stated that they were aiming to have as many admits in round 2 as round 1. something doesn't add up in the numbers...

We have to think of yield as well for the numbers to make sense. If there were 325 admits in R1 then only about 200 or so will take the offer, and come R2 the same will happen.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 12:22
Great post with the #s!

I agree - I think your yield is too high. I would say it's closer to 60%. R1: 200 / 325 = 61% yield

Thus, with 200 each round, that's a class of 400. One small nuance, and I don't know how this affects admissions, but 400 includes LGO and Sloan Fellows. For 2013, the FT MBA is actually around 360.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 18:36
purpleshirt wrote:
Great post with the #s!

I agree - I think your yield is too high. I would say it's closer to 60%. R1: 200 / 325 = 61% yield

Thus, with 200 each round, that's a class of 400. One small nuance, and I don't know how this affects admissions, but 400 includes LGO and Sloan Fellows. For 2013, the FT MBA is actually around 360.

I certainly agree one of the historical figures will have to "break" for admissions to be equal between this years R1 & R2. Even their numbers don't seem to make sense.

800 total interviews x 60% interview-to-offer rate x 60% yield = only 288 enrollment.

At an enrollment of 400, using their figures, you'd need a yield of 83% to get to 400. However, a 75% yield gets us to your 360 number. Perhaps they're doing some rounding...such as 820 invites and a 63% (or many other combinations) also get to a class of 360 at 70% yield. But, using a 60% yield, we can't get to a class of 360 without upping their 60% offer rate to 70% and bumping the interviews to 850.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2012, 00:01
Is Sloan still giving out interviews? Had no news at all... :(
US applicant here.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2012, 00:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  45    Next  [ 895 posts ] 

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer