GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.75
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 09:22
I interviewed for R2... those numbers are scary. But suddenly MIT is becoming my top choice. It is weird, but knowing that a school is so competitive, makes me want to attend even more...
btw, are we sure that in previous years it wasnt so competitive? I read somewhere that twice as many people apply in R2. Any idea on whether they intend to increase the class size or something. I cant believe the yield rate at MIT is so low (i was expecting something like 70% instead of 50%)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 10:38
purpleshirt wrote:

This is not meant to scare or deter anyone! Sorry!! Like I mentioned at the end, their yield is usually 50%. So accepting 325 students totally makes sense since only 150 or so will matriculate. This sounds low but many people I met at the admit weekend were still on the fence. For many others, it comes down to scholarship money too, which Sloan approaches differently. Chances for R2 are still good!

No apologies necessary! I don't think anyone would assume you were trying to scare anyone off with your post. This process is such a mysterious black-box it's great to hear any kind of information coming out of it, and lord knows most schools don't bother updating applicants with that kind of info. So, a sincere thank you. That being said, facts are facts. 325 admits in R1 and a 70% yield means they've already filled half the class in R1 (plus who knows how many have already been interviewed & WL from R1). That makes it very tough for anyone in R2 - a round which sees higher application numbers across every school. Perhaps if applications are nearly doubling, the yield could drop from the ~70% I've always seen to the 50% you mentioned. But, there are plenty of schools with 7k+ applicants and yields nowhere near 50%, so I'd be surprised to see a 50% yield.

Anyhow, thanks again for sharing the info an congrats! Now I can move on to saying my Hail Mary's for Stanford.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 10:40
toiysam wrote:
I interviewed for R2... those numbers are scary. But suddenly MIT is becoming my top choice. It is weird, but knowing that a school is so competitive, makes me want to attend even more...
btw, are we sure that in previous years it wasnt so competitive? I read somewhere that twice as many people apply in R2. Any idea on whether they intend to increase the class size or something. I cant believe the yield rate at MIT is so low (i was expecting something like 70% instead of 50%)

Yeah good point about previous years - I dunno. We're at the mercy of what adcom shares. Re R1 vs R2 # of applicants, I'm not so sure it's double the pool of applicants. I attended the Ambassadors program, and an adcom rep said that R2 is generally larger (did not quantify) and they admit half the class from each round. Thus, technically, your chances of being admitted in R1 is slightly higher.

That said...
1.) If R2 applicant pool is double R1, that would be a significant difference in the % admitted. That did not sound like it was the case.
2.) Knowing all this, why don't more people apply in R1 then?? My *personal* guess is that R1/R2 pool size is starting to even out because people are trying to get the best chances.

Finally, most schools have around a 50-60% yield rate. H/S enjoy the highest yield of 85% (recalling these numbers from various sources I've read, give +/- 5%). But I don't think this is surprising considering how many schools each of us apply to! I think Sloan loses out to H/B/K/W the most often - at least those were the schools people I spoke with were considering. On the flipside, those same school lose students to Sloan too.....

Anyways, none of this is really consequential - just very interesting. All M7 is super competitive :)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.48
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 11:35
hi,
does anyone know around when R2 interviews are happening in India? Have any Indians recieved interview invites?
- madzy
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '14, CBS '14
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 11:47
madzy wrote:
hi,
does anyone know around when R2 interviews are happening in India? Have any Indians recieved interview invites?
- madzy

Haven't seen anyone from India posting an interview invite. Any idea whether R1 interviews in India were conducted by alums or adcom?
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.48
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 11:50
chessmaster wrote:
madzy wrote:
hi,
- madzy

Haven't seen anyone from India posting an interview invite. Any idea whether R1 interviews in India were conducted by alums or adcom?

had heard from a couple of people that adcom conducted interviews in India in R1.

Anyone from India with a R2 interview invite and dates please let us know....
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2012, 12:04
I might be mixing things up but R2 deadline had passed by the time of adMIT weekend. So maybe it's possible that they referred to 4000+ applicants as the whole pool from both rounds?!?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2012, 09:16
All, I am an R2 applicant and have not received interview invite yet... Should I take that as a most probable ding?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 07:33
788512AM wrote:
All, I am an R2 applicant and have not received interview invite yet... Should I take that as a most probable ding?

It sounds like several areas have not had any interview invites go out yet. I haven't been paying close enough attention to know whether invites have gone out for the NE, but it sounds like none have gone out for the midwest yet. Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 18:45
788512AM wrote:

I don't see any reason whatsoever to think this way. Don't take regional distribution or anything else very seriously. If Sloan wants you, they will get you. In my own experience with this process, all the estimates can fail.

Eat and sleep well :)
Stay positive till the last day, last minute :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2012, 20:45
R2/Received invitation to interview/SF

All - just a status update - I received an invitation to interview and scheduled mine for next week. Currently, three slots are remaining, but have hope! When I went to schedule mine, there were fewer than ten left. Fingers crossed for the fellow R2 applicants.

Just throwing a few questions out there:

1) What % of interviewees ultimately receive an offer for admission?
2) To those interviewing at satellite locations - did you interviewer seem tired/more weary towards the end of the day? I'm not sure if it's better to leave the last impression or speak to the interviewer when he/she has already had a full day.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 08:09
Hi.. has anybody in Dubai or Abu Dhabi received an interview invite for R2?
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 09:22
kb2112 wrote:

All - just a status update - I received an invitation to interview and scheduled mine for next week. Currently, three slots are remaining, but have hope! When I went to schedule mine, there were fewer than ten left. Fingers crossed for the fellow R2 applicants.

2) To those interviewing at satellite locations - did you interviewer seem tired/more weary towards the end of the day? I'm not sure if it's better to leave the last impression or speak to the interviewer when he/she has already had a full day.

1. Last year i think it was 60%.
2. I interviewed at satellite city the last day and the last slot. Actually i think it helped me. Since she had no rush, we spoke for more than 1:30 hours. Great talk (just two interview questions), then we started discussing about life, politics, social development, books, golf, etc.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 10:21
toiysam wrote:
kb2112 wrote:

1. Last year i think it was 60%.
2. I interviewed at satellite city the last day and the last slot. Actually i think it helped me. Since she had no rush, we spoke for more than 1:30 hours. Great talk (just two interview questions), then we started discussing about life, politics, social development, books, golf, etc.

Whatever time you decide for your interview beware of 'decision fatigue'. More on this can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magaz ... wanted=all
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2012, 09:18
kb2112 wrote:

Hello there, congrats! Mind sharing your profile?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 05:30
I have never contacted the adcom during the admissions process. I have only sent a thank you letter to my interviewer. But I do not think it will harm you, unless you send them many questions.

binah1208 wrote:
Some people say that it is good to ask questions and express my interest towards school constantly by email, but some says it would give bad reflection

What do you guys think about it? Especially about Sloan?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 06:35
miguelmick wrote:
I have never contacted the adcom during the admissions process. I have only sent a thank you letter to my interviewer. But I do not think it will harm you, unless you send them many questions.

binah1208 wrote:
Some people say that it is good to ask questions and express my interest towards school constantly by email, but some says it would give bad reflection

What do you guys think about it? Especially about Sloan?

Agreed - similar to miguelmick, my only communications was a thank you email to my interviewer. If you do have thoughtful questions (not just questions to ask questions), then I'm sure they would appreciate that.

On a different note, anyone receive scholarship info? Awards were suppose to go out this week but it's been silence on all fronts. Perhaps people are just humble or shy? :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 07:52
Any news on Midwest invites for interview yet?
Seems like the time is against us..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 07:57
What about invites in Europe? I haven't seen anyone reported yet?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 09:15
YoungSnake wrote:
What about invites in Europe? I haven't seen anyone reported yet?

I haven't seen much invites at all. No big invite waves like other schools. What is Sloan planning to fill up their classes with ? :)
I won't be surprised if MIT has developed some new technology to let extraterrestria apply to the program and all the invites are being sent to them 8-) Damn you ETs :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2012, 09:15

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  45    Next  [ 895 posts ] 

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer