Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Joseph: N
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: String of wrong answers [#permalink]
k1414 wrote:
I don't think I would be qualified to go in-depth into the specifics of the what if, but I do have some advice. Generally speaking, it's easy to mess yourself up when you leave a question that you know you got wrong. One way to mess it up is by spending way more time than you normally would on the next question - another way is doubting yourself moving on. You need to put yourself in a mindset where, after everytime you submit your answer, you say to yourself "that was the best answer I could have given". It's all about confidence, and being able to move on to the next question. All the best on your GMAT journey!

Thank you for the reply. This is novel advice that I have not yet run across.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi haxxx043,

The Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Based on what you describe, it sounds as though you're not necessarily using Tactics and taking the necessary notes. For most RC and CR questions, you should have a pretty good idea of what the correct answer will 'look like' before you go to the 5 answers. If you think that multiple answers could be correct, then it's also likely that you don't know how to spot the common patterns that the wrong answers are often based around.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? ~4 months
2) What study materials have you used so far? The complete Manhattan GMAT guides.
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? I have taken two MGMAT CATs and one official GMAC. The scores have all been around 580; ~31 Verbal ~38 Quant.

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? 680; higher would always be better though :)
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? December
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Late December
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to? UofM Carlson, Booth, Kellogg, maybe something in Europe.

Thanks for the reply!

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Do you have suggestions or a source to learn common error spotting? I should clarify. When I went through the the difficult questions after the test, not ALL of the answer choices were the same to me; after the elimination, there would be two choices remaining that both seem plausible.

Thanks for the reply!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi haxxx043,

Based on what you describe, your studies so far have been 'book heavy.' Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Since all 3 of your practice CAT scores are 'clustered' in the high-500s, it's possible that this has happened to you as well. To raise your score 100+ points, you will need to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. By extension, you will likely need to invest in some new, non-book study materials. Since it will likely take at least 2 months of consistent, guided study to get to that level - and you want to apply to Business School by the end of this year - you will have to be really efficient with the next phase of your studies.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot