Last visit was: 10 Jun 2024, 08:04 It is currently 10 Jun 2024, 08:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 595 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation/Army Officer [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi there!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! First, congratulations on your accomplishments in the Indian Army! Second, amazing job with the GMAT! That is an incredible score! This will open up a lot of top schools for you, so certainly consider applying to a few in the top 10. Before recommending any specific schools, I'd love to get a better understanding of what your post MBA goals are. What do you want to do after your MBA? What industry do you want to be in? What type of work are you interested in? These will help narrow down specific schools and from there, we can further hone in on a school selection strategy for R1. Looking forward to the additional information - if you prefer to chat live, go ahead and sign up for a free consultation with us!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1115 [0]
Given Kudos: 1761
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
captpratyush wrote:
Male, 28

Qualifications:

10th: 84.2%, 2001

12th: 67.8% ,2003

Bachelor of Science: CGPA 6.92 on a scale of 9, 2007 while undergoing military training at National Defence Academy

Diploma in Military Studies and Defence Management: 66%, 2008 while undergoing military training at Indian Military Academy.

Commissioned as a Lieutenant in Indian Army in Dec 2008 in the Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers (now a Major).

B.Tech. (Electronics Engineering) from Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering : CGPA 8.39 on a scale of 9 (20011-2014) while serving as a Captain in the army.

GMAT Score: 760 (Q-50, V-41, AWA-5, IR-7)

Professional Experience:

Served in a variety of environments, commanded troops in varied situations, and performed all kinds of duties including the technical aspects of my job.

Served in Siachen Glacier, world’s highest and coldest battlefield, and insurgency hit region of Jammu and Kashmir and performed duties ranging from operational to administrative to tech support under extremely hostile and demanding conditions. Worked on a number of tech projects to find innovative solutions to army’s peculiar problems. Commanded units under a brigade and battalion. Participated actively in sports and adventure activities and captained the academy hockey team.

Performed a number of humanitarian tasks while serving in J&K for bridging the divide between the people of the state and mainstream. Participated in and led the relief operations during the devastating floods in J&K and evacuated and rehabilitated scores of people. Conducted training cadres for youth of the state and organized medical camps in far flung areas.

While training at the two academies, held various appointments at the cadet level and was a member of the cadets’ honour board.

I now want to switch careers and pursue an MBA. I want to know if my profile fits in the top b-schools and what are my chances of getting into one. I would also request you to suggest good b-schools that you might consider appropriate for me.

Regards,
Pratyush

Hey there,

Good news! MBA programs love candidates like you who have strong leadership experience and non-traditional backgrounds. Given your excellent GMAT score as well, you should be aiming high, definitely top 10 programs in USA. You will need to pay close attention to your career goals so your "why MBA" answer is convincing and compelling. Talk to us to move forward! You can contact our international CEO - Chaya - (chayap@aringo.com) to set up a free assessment call with no attached commitments so that she can begin guiding you in creating an application that meets the standards of the top schools!

Best of luck,
Zooey
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
It sounds like you're not the stereotypical male, Indian, IT guy. You're GMAT is right where it needs to be as well.

The thing about US Military applicants is that the adcom has a difficult time deciding if they have had a typical military career or a stand out military career. It's going to be even more difficult to figure that out for an Indian military candidate. They probably don't have much of a sample set to base their evaluation on. So that could go in your favor or not. Personally I don't really know much about the Indian military and I don't know if your service was out of the ordinary or not? Compared to your classmates, were you promoted sooner, did you receive more responsibility etc.? Or would you say you advanced lockstep with other peers?

In terms of your college and GPA.....how would you rank yourself relative to your classmates? Was your GPA in the top 5%, 10% etc.?

In terms of career goals: All the experts have pointed out that we would need more info and that this is a critical part of an application. I think the big question the adcom at top 5-10 schools in the US is going to be asking themselves is....is this guy marketable to the employers who recruit here? I do not know but I have some ideas as to why an employer might want or might not want to hire an Indian ex-military MBA. One issue might be that you've presumably never lived outside India / would need visa sponsorship.

A lot of unanswered ???? here. I'm not convinced one way or another as to whether you could get into a top 10 school in the US. Would love to hear more though.

Best,
Leah
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
captpratyush wrote:
Male, 28

Hi Pratyush,

Your service details are very impressive- you have been in very tough situations and taken leadership and initiation to improve things for the better. I am sure you will have some very solid stories to pull out from the repertoire.

To top this, you have an excellent GMAT score. Aim for the top 10 b-schools (Follow Bloomberg BW and US News rankings) and present your story well.

A piece which is lacking in your profile discussion is your career goals. What would you like to do after an MBA? You need to start thinking deeply about this so that you are able to use the next 3-4 months before the applications to talk to people in the industries of your interest and get a hold on the career goals.

Since you are new to the admissions process, I also suggest that you started reading student blogs and get some idea about what b-school life is like/ what to expect. Every b-school has several student run clubs for facilitating professional and extra curricular activities. You can reach out to the club leadership and understand about various functions such as marketing, finance, operations, strategy & consulting and the corresponding job opportunities. Further, b-schools have online information sessions in the form of webinars and online chats; information about these is available on their websites - register for these.

Feel free to reach out to discuss further.

Hi,

I want to make a career in either investment banking, consulting, or defence/aerospace sector. My school list consists of HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Tuck, Duke, Ross, Stern, Columbia, MIT, though not necessarily in that order. Where do you think my profile stands when looking at these?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 595 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Send PM
Expert Reply
captpratyush wrote:

I want to make a career in either investment banking, consulting, or defence/aerospace sector. My school list consists of HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Tuck, Duke, Ross, Stern, Columbia, MIT, though not necessarily in that order. Where do you think my profile stands when looking at these?

1. There are folks from military who are able to break into banking as well as consulting, given your skill set build around leadership/team work, problem solving and crisis management, working in ambiguity and paying attention to details. At the time of the application, you will have to pin point what your career goals are going to be. As I had suggested earlier, informational interviews with b-school students/ alums should still be a priority task for you in the months upto the start of the application deadlines.
2. Your choice of b-schools has a mix of aspirational and reach b-schools, so I am quite alright on this aspect. Selecting all the top ten b-schools and applying to ten b-schools (humongous number) is a little unrealistic. I would suggest you apply to 5-7 bschools at max, taper down some of the reach b-schools so that you have more hits than misses, and start the essay writing process early! Your GMAT, which takes up most applicants' summer is already out of the way, so you can start lapping up the essays when they come out May - July.
3. Starting early will give you a chance to apply to more target b-schools in R1. If it fits with your MBA plans, apply to early application rounds of b-schools that offer it. Be mindful however that most of them have you undertake a binding agreement- if you get an admit, you have to withdraw your application from other b-schools.

Hope this helps :)
GMAT Club Bot