Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q56 V44
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
hi,

please review my profile for ISB

I have a master's degree in Structural Engineering(Civil) from BITS Pilani(8.7 GPA)
Bachelor's in Civil Eng (6.2)
10-89%
12-92%

GMAT-700

I have work experience of 2.5 yrs in designing various structures(Buildings & Bridges) in the Middle East & India (Coordinating with architects & site issues )
Good amount of Extra circular activities.

I'm planning to move to consulting, finance or energy sectors.
VP
VP
Send PM
Helloshruti.shambhavi

Most factors in your profile are pretty strong- different work ex from most applicants, interesting extracurricular activities (hence fodder for essays), decent past acads.
The 'iffy' part is you GMAT, aim for a 700+ for a decent shot. Also, missing is any information around your career goals- this narrative is vital for a strong application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

shruti.shambhavi wrote:
Indian, Female, 23 years old
Work Experience: 3 years, will be 4 years by the time I join. Working in the marketing department of a top Real Estate company in the country.
Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration, Christ University
(Christ University was ranked No. 1 for the BBA program as per India Today for the entire duration of my BBA course)
GMAT: 600, Q-35, V-38. Preparing for another attempt, targeting 700+.
GPA: 3.66/4, among the Top 3 in a class of 72, received a merit based scholarship for the same

Work Experience:
1. Was initially a part of the Strategy team in the company for the first six months and moved to the Marketing team post that
2. As a part of the Marketing team I was the only resource for a six month duration which gave me exposure to all aspects of Marketing in a Real Estate firm very early on. I
successfully executed launch campaigns for various projects, independently.
3. Initiated brand tie-ups for our residential projects which was a first. These tie-ups were with global brands in the healthcare and lifestyle sector which contributed to
successful launches and eventually became the norm for all our projects.
4. Have been promoted within two years, due for another promotion in April 2019.

Extra-curriculars:
1. National Level Swimmer
2. Presented a marketing research paper during college
3. Regular volunteer at an NGO which involved improving the lives of the children with special needs
4. Represented my university for many Parliamentary debates at fests
5. Was a member of the Core Commitee which is involved in organizing fests and events in college
6. Genuinely enjoy emceeing - have done so for many formal events in college

Considering my profile what would be the minimum GMAT score I would need to target to get an interview call at ISB?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello guest1708

While your past acads, international exposure will certainly help you, the 700 GMAT (considering years of work ex on the lower end) can be a slight hindrance.
A lot of competition from civil engineers these days at ISB. Since there is enough time between now and R 2 deadline, why don't you retake and aim for a 720ish? It will help you immensely.
Meanwhile do touch upon the qualitative factors as well- achievements, extracurricular activities, career goals. You may read here and here to add to your research.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

guest1708 wrote:
hi,

I have a master's degree in Structural Engineering(Civil) from BITS Pilani(8.7 GPA)
10-89%
12-92%

GMAT-700

I have work experience of 2.5 yrs in designing various structures(Buildings & Bridges) in the Middle East & India (Coordinating with architects & site issues )

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shruti.shambhavi wrote:
Indian, Female, 23 years old
Work Experience: 3 years, will be 4 years by the time I join. Working in the marketing department of a top Real Estate company in the country.
Undergrad: Bachelor of Business Administration, Christ University
(Christ University was ranked No. 1 for the BBA program as per India Today for the entire duration of my BBA course)
GMAT: 600, Q-35, V-38. Preparing for another attempt, targeting 700+.
GPA: 3.66/4, among the Top 3 in a class of 72, received a merit based scholarship for the same

Work Experience:
1. Was initially a part of the Strategy team in the company for the first six months and moved to the Marketing team post that
2. As a part of the Marketing team I was the only resource for a six month duration which gave me exposure to all aspects of Marketing in a Real Estate firm very early on. I
successfully executed launch campaigns for various projects, independently.
3. Initiated brand tie-ups for our residential projects which was a first. These tie-ups were with global brands in the healthcare and lifestyle sector which contributed to
successful launches and eventually became the norm for all our projects.
4. Have been promoted within two years, due for another promotion in April 2019.

Extra-curriculars:
1. National Level Swimmer
2. Presented a marketing research paper during college
3. Regular volunteer at an NGO which involved improving the lives of the children with special needs
4. Represented my university for many Parliamentary debates at fests
5. Was a member of the Core Commitee which is involved in organizing fests and events in college
6. Genuinely enjoy emceeing - have done so for many formal events in college

Considering my profile what would be the minimum GMAT score I would need to target to get an interview call at ISB?

Hello shruti.shambhavi,

Thanks for your query.

Definitely, there is a lot working for you - fine academic performance, good extra-curriculars (especially the fact that you are a national level swimmer), and decent professional progress.
That said, a lot definitely depends on the GMAT score and you must look upwards of a 700. However, the GMAT is only one component of the process and your chances will also depend on the essays you put forth and how you present your candidature, complete with a set of career goals that sync in with your existing profile.

In light of the above, we recommend that your watch the following video to familiarise yourself with the broad approach to keep in mind while working on your essays :-)

A strong set of essays coupled with a GMAT score upwards of 700 will give you a strong chance at cracking ISB!

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Dear Senior members,

Please evaluate my profile.

I am 34 year Mechanical Engineer.

10th- 78.5% Andhra Pradesh State board - 1999

Pursued Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - 78% from Government Polytechnic College -2002

Worked in 2 private power plants on my diploma.

Got selected in a nuclear power plant and currently working.(2006-Present)

During my service in nuclear power plant I pursued my graduation (B-tech in Mechanical Engineering) in distance mode. But from good university (JNTU, Hyderabad). 69.8% in B-tech

In my 12 years of experience in Nuclear power plant, I have got a chance to involve and execute top class engineering works.

Promoted to Officer grade and I would like to pursue MBA now for broadening my knowledge, changing my domain (if possible to capital markets etc).

What are my chances of getting elected in ISB or any good IIMs, if I get a good score in GMAT. I am ready to work hard to get good score.

What are my chances of landing a good job post-MBA, with my average academics(these were good when I studied, over time they got worsened in comparison) & undergraduation with distance mode.

Many thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello krishnasri

Your chances of admission and subsequently a job will highly depend on specific career goals, something you have touched upon but in a very broad and vague sense. See if reading here helps.
A major career switch may be difficult for most people with over 10 years of work ex. This is a thumb rule though, much needs to be understood about your past profile and future plans.
You will be an outlier at ISB in terms of work ex and that means showcasing above average career progress, achievements and business impact.
Lack of strong extracurricular activities can hurt as well, as these help showcase diversity. Read here to know a list of all the factors crucial for a successful written application. You industry can potentially help you stand out too.
Based on the generic info the suggested GMAT score will be generic too. Stay above the mean of the class to be in the safe zone (AKA 720+)

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

krishnasri wrote:
Dear Senior members,

Please evaluate my profile.

I am 34 year Mechanical Engineer.

10th- 78.5% Andhra Pradesh State board - 1999

Pursued Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - 78% from Government Polytechnic College -2002

Worked in 2 private power plants on my diploma.

Got selected in a nuclear power plant and currently working.(2006-Present)

During my service in nuclear power plant I pursued my graduation (B-tech in Mechanical Engineering) in distance mode. But from good university (JNTU, Hyderabad). 69.8% in B-tech

In my 12 years of experience in Nuclear power plant, I have got a chance to involve and execute top class engineering works.

Promoted to Officer grade and I would like to pursue MBA now for broadening my knowledge, changing my domain (if possible to capital markets etc).

What are my chances of getting elected in ISB or any good IIMs, if I get a good score in GMAT. I am ready to work hard to get good score.

What are my chances of landing a good job post-MBA, with my average academics(these were good when I studied, over time they got worsened in comparison) & undergraduation with distance mode.

Many thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
guest1708 wrote:
hi,

10-89%
12-92%

GMAT-700

Hi guest1708,

Thanks for your query.

The international experience and strong pedigree will definitely be plus points.

Having said the above, a GMAT retake may be quite worth the effort as a 700 on the GMAT is just under the ISB average and a better score will definitely help boost your chances :-) That said, the GMAT is only one element of the process and you also need to focus on portraying your achievements, skill-set, diversity, and career goals through a set of well-drafted essays. We recommend you view the video below as the same will help your present your profile in an appropriate way.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
sahuiitd wrote:
Hello Every one:

Here is my Profile:

X:84.4 % (CBSE)
XII: 80 % (CBSE)
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Uttar Pradesh Technical University (JSS)-78.18 %
M.Tech in Design Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)-7.81/10 CGPA
No Gap in Stuides.

Current Profile:Senior Project Engineer in Shapoorji Pallonji Oil & Gas BU (AFCONS) for Offshore Oil & Gas EPC Projects as Project Engineer and Project Management Professional with over 4+ years of experience in role for Project Management, Operations and Execution of EPC projects. Synposis as mentioned below:

" Project Engineer and Project Management Professional with over 4+ years of experience in role for Project Management of EPC projects. Successfully completed EPC project of ONGC-HRD Process Platform (Green field, Process Platform), Mumbai High, India of USD 250 million and currently working on ONGC/EIL-LEWPP1 & LEWPP2 project (Revamp field, Complete Topside Revamp of 43 wellhead platforms) of combined USD 320 million. Performed responsibilities starting from EPC Project initiation and planning such as proposals, bid-engineering (support to estimation and bidding teams), pre-engineering survey, detail engineering coordination, technical assistance to procurement, modular yard fabrication to execution, commissioning life cycle of offshore oil and gas projects including engineering management, interface management, vendor engineering management and control, project activities monitoring and overall coordination with site teams for EPC Projects with major roles as “Sr. Project Engineer”, “Sr. Project Engineering coordinator”."

Extra Curricular/Achievement : Trekking of different places and alreday completed National Level Trekking program with YHAI for 10 days trekking with certificate holder, Marathon running completed with 5k, 10k kms. Alreday in Process of obtaining PMP Project certification(International certificate for Project Managemnet Professional). Received M.H.R.D. Scholarship (2012-2014) for academic performance for securing 99.96 percentile in GATE-2012. Winner of Volleyball Tournament at college level

Target GMAT score:740

Post MBA Goals: Startegy managment and Project managment professional in Finance for Infrastructure/Renewable Energy EPC Projects

Kindly let me know about my profile.

Hello sahuiitd,

Apologies for the delay in response but we hope this will be of help to you still.

You have a promising overall profile and if you are able to achieve your target GMAT score, as well as put forth a set of essays that portray your achievements and skills in an appropriate manner, you have a very good chance at making it to ISB!

We highly recommend that you watch the following video as the same will help you with a robust approach towards essays writing. Do reach out to us in case you have any queries.

All the best! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
I have been working with ONGC Petro additions Ltd. for the past two years (out of five years of total experience) as an Instrumentation Engineer primarily looking after Process Automation, leading a team of junior engineers and technicians. My job requires a fair share of managerial work such as Manpower Management, Inventory Control & Material Management, and Budgeting. I have spearheaded various cost-saving initiatives for which I have been recognized. I was engaged with India Glycols Ltd. prior to my engagement with ONGC.I lead the Automation division, working on exciting endeavours such as Make in India Greenfield Projects (I was the youngest in the company's history to lead a division at such a junior post). I trained not only juniors but also colleagues who were at a higher designation than I. When my company faced financial hurdles in 2015, it appointed AT Kearney for a profitability improvement programme of which I was an integral part. It was this involvement in the Project which drew me towards consulting, I loved solving problems, making systems more efficient and improving profitability. I like my job, I like the opportunity it provides to debottleneck. This, however,is an occasional affair.I like solving problems within the industry, problems that truly affect a company. Therefore, my short-term goals include working with any of the top consulting firms such as Deloitte, AT Kearney, BCG, Bain, and others. I need an MBA to develop a broader understanding of the business so that I can offer better solutions, 360-degree solutions. Back in college, I worked for two years with Indian Youth Climate Network, an NGO which collaborated with 350.org to push for a better climate deal during UNFCCC negotiations ( Copenhagen 2009 and Cancun 2010, I was thoroughly involved). I was the Media Coordinator for the organization and also the editor of their monthly newsletter. During the same time, I used to do theatre mostly for social awakening, working with NGOs such as STEP and theatre groups such as Jazba Theatre group, Desh Bandhu College, Delhi University. In 2012, I along with my friends co-founded an e-commerce start-up called healthee.in which sold fitness products online. I handled and the Social Media Mangement and Supply Chain domain before we closed operations a few years later.

I would be glad if you could evaluate my profile for schools such as ISB and IIMs.
My GMAT score is 700(q48,v38)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate with a GPA of 7.66 from Amrita University.
10th and 12th percentages are 86.4% and 80.8% respectively (CBSE Board).

3 years of experience in Marketing, branding and corporate strategy at L&T.
Later on, I went on to do the Teach for India fellowship. During the fellowship, I started a project which later turned into a non profit organization that builds life-skills among kids through Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked extensively to build gender equality in the community through theater.
Currently working as a writer in a US based education firm for the last 4 months. The firm caters to children from low-income communities in Africa, India and China.

I am planning to take my GMAT next month.
How much should I aim for if my target school is ISB?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A score of 700+ should be sufficient. But again, the chances of your interview invite depend on your overall application (post-MBA goals, leadership experience in your job etc).
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello sashankvissa

You have a unique profile in terms of work experience. That can become your strength. However, you will also need to work on all the factors mentioned here and highlight these in your written application.
In addition, you need a clear career goals narrative (missing in your post) that fits your profile as well as the profile of the school. You may read here to add to your research.
If you can tie in your past profile along with clear career goals, then in that case a 710+ will put you in a very competitive position.
Talking about the work experience/goals in isolation will not help, same way estimating a 'safe' GMAT in isolation does not work either.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

sashankvissa wrote:
Hi all,

I am a mechanical engineering graduate with a GPA of 7.66 from Amrita University.

Later on, I went on to do the Teach for India fellowship. During the fellowship, I started a project which later turned into a non profit organization that builds life-skills among kids through Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked extensively to build gender equality in the community through theater.
Currently working as a writer in a US based education firm for the last 4 months. The firm caters to children from low-income communities in Africa, India and China.

Thanks in advance!
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
sashankvissa,

Topics merged. Please check the forum before creating a new post.

-- Mod Nightblade
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
sashankvissa wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

While your profile looks good to me, I'd like to explore the purpose for an MBA and the career goals after MBA.
Teach for India is well respected among the b-school adcoms, so you will have some advantage there. However, you should weave it all into a coherent story that explains your past career choices as well as the career path forward.
a 700+ GMAT is always beneficial. Aim for that.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
vinayakvaish wrote:
I have been working with ONGC Petro additions Ltd. for the past two years (out of five years of total experience) as an Instrumentation Engineer primarily looking after Process Automation, leading a team of junior engineers and technicians. My job requires a fair share of managerial work such as Manpower Management, Inventory Control & Material Management, and Budgeting. I have spearheaded various cost-saving initiatives for which I have been recognized. I was engaged with India Glycols Ltd. prior to my engagement with ONGC.I lead the Automation division, working on exciting endeavours such as Make in India Greenfield Projects (I was the youngest in the company's history to lead a division at such a junior post). I trained not only juniors but also colleagues who were at a higher designation than I. When my company faced financial hurdles in 2015, it appointed AT Kearney for a profitability improvement programme of which I was an integral part. It was this involvement in the Project which drew me towards consulting, I loved solving problems, making systems more efficient and improving profitability. I like my job, I like the opportunity it provides to debottleneck. This, however,is an occasional affair.I like solving problems within the industry, problems that truly affect a company. Therefore, my short-term goals include working with any of the top consulting firms such as Deloitte, AT Kearney, BCG, Bain, and others. I need an MBA to develop a broader understanding of the business so that I can offer better solutions, 360-degree solutions. Back in college, I worked for two years with Indian Youth Climate Network, an NGO which collaborated with 350.org to push for a better climate deal during UNFCCC negotiations ( Copenhagen 2009 and Cancun 2010, I was thoroughly involved). I was the Media Coordinator for the organization and also the editor of their monthly newsletter. During the same time, I used to do theatre mostly for social awakening, working with NGOs such as STEP and theatre groups such as Jazba Theatre group, Desh Bandhu College, Delhi University. In 2012, I along with my friends co-founded an e-commerce start-up called healthee.in which sold fitness products online. I handled and the Social Media Mangement and Supply Chain domain before we closed operations a few years later.

I would be glad if you could evaluate my profile for schools such as ISB and IIMs.
My GMAT score is 700(q48,v38)

Posted from my mobile device

Your post felt like reading the first draft of your essay :)

You have a good profile. You seem to have some good experiences that will help you build a compelling story. However, the competition is steep for you Although not as many as the software engineers, but still a reasonable number of people apply to ISB with your kind of background. Thus submitting a stellar application based on your strengths and achievements will be crucial for an interview invite.

Feel free to reach out should you wish to work with a consultant on your application.
Send PM
Expert Reply
sashankvissa wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Hi sashankvissa,

You definitely have a diverse profile with a number of points that stand out - Teach for India experience, international exposure, and general diversity in profile. A 700+ should be good enough.
However, a lot will also depend on the career goals you portray and the essays you draft. We believe that the following video may be useful in this regard and request you to view the same.

All the best! :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM