GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Round 3 vs Next Year: When Should You Apply?

January 16, 2019

January 16, 2019

10:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Learn what distinguishes Round 3 from other rounds and how to assess your profile to decide when to apply to b-school in this live webinar! Wednesday, Jan 16th at 10AM PST / 1PM ET
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews

INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Experts' Global Representative
B
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 03:08
ImadTurey wrote:
Hi,

I've recently taken the GMAT exam and plan to start my applications soon. INSEAD is one of my top choices as my preferences are oriented towards getting an European MBA. It would be really helpful if I could get your opinions about the fit of my profile with the INSEAD Program. Below is my profile,

GPA - 3.5
GMAT - 710 (Q88,V39,IR7)

Under Grad - A Bachelor in Engineering (Electronics) from an Indian University

Work Ex - Total experience is 4+. Started with a pure play Analytics firm as a Decision Scientist. Worked on Analytics projects that helped clients make Data driven decisions. Gained good exposure in interacting with US based Clients while driving presentations. Gained good exposure to US Healthcare industry and moved to a Healthcare solutions company as a Business Analyst. At my current role I regularly interact with clients, understand their problems and use our proprietary data to provide Solutions/Insights. Have had an accelerated promotion to the designation of a Senior Business Analyst, in recognition of my competencies. Most of clients, and my immediate supervisors are US/Canada based, so that provides me some global exposure.

Nationality - Indian Administered Kashmir. The reason I emphasize Kashmir is because I come from a Non - Conventional Indian applicant pool. Kashmir is ethnically, linguistically and culturally distinct from mainland India and I hope that helps my application as a plus for the Diversity factor

Personnel Achievements - Have been a high achiever in Academics/Sports/Extra Curricular through my Education years (Most of them have been in far away Residential Schools). Besides the accelerated promotion at my current job, I've received multiple Impact Awards

Short Entrepreneurial Stint - In between the 2 jobs I took few months off to start a Medium scale Business in my hometown. But due to political instability in the region, I had to stop midway and move back to corporate

Post MBA goals - Given the nature of my current job, I'd like to leverage my existing problem solving acumen to break into the Management Consulting scene

Community Support - I am an active member of an organization in my home town which collects charities from members of the society and puts them to the use of people whose lives are affected by the instability in the region

Would greatly appreciate any inputs and suggestions for my application.

Thanks!

Hello ImadTurey,

Thanks for writing in.

The career progress sounds good and while the global exposure is not stellar. it will give you a talking point for sure.

Having said the above, the GMAT is on the lower side of the spectrum and for you to stand a realistic chance, a re-take is strongly recommended. Of course, while you may choose to bring out the diversity in your background suitably in your essays, essentially you will continue to fall into the conventional Indian pool and therefore the GMAT expectations will be a lot higher.

Do explain the gap in work experience through your essays; remember to focus on those few months from the viewpoint of learning. INSEAD appreciates entrepreneurial experience so you must build up on this as much as you can.

Hope this helps!

All the best!

Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Experts' Global Representative
B
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 03:39
NITUNKUMAR2018 wrote:
Age- 30 years

GMAT- 700 (Q49, V36, IR-6, AWA-6)

UG- B.E. in Instrumentation and Control from NSIT, Delhi

UG %age -79.7 (2nd ranker but no document for that)

12th-85.4%

10th-89.4%

Work Experience-8.5 years

Company- Indian Oil Corporation Limited

Department- Operations

Present designation- Incharge of a plant having annual turnover of Rs. 2400 crores and supplying petroleum products to 6 districts, heading a team of 18 employees, 50 contract labours, 300 Tanker crew.

Previous roles- worked in similar plants in different roles as supplies manager, safety officer, maintenance manager, second in command in 3 different plants including present one.

Professional achievements-

1. youngest plant incharge of IOCL at present.

2. developed a new supply model for a 500 crore customer to prevent him from switching on account of enroute pilferage from tankers leading to huge losses to customer

3. brought about market realignment to save 2.2 crore annually on logistics costs in the plant

4. designed the automation system for Rail wagons for which pilot project is being undertaken at my plant and post successful commissioning will be replicated on PAN India basis.

5. undertook capitalization projects worth Rs. 33 crores as maintenance manager in previous plant and Rs. 16 crore in the capacity of plant incharge presently.

6. All India winner of a series of online quizzes conducted by our operations department on various topics covering downstream oil operations.

7. My plant awarded British International Safety award for commitment to occupational health, safety and welbeing.

8. presented techincal paper to management proposing modification in core facilities in the plant to meet future challenges.

9. Developed e-learning modules for Operations department for effective training of employees, labour etc.

International experience- Nil

Extra curricular

1. Silver medalist at one National Level Painting competitions and have significant achievements in fine arts at various levels throughout school and college life.

2. President of college's annual cultural festival

3. Organised oil conservation rallies/signature campaigns

4. Provided borewell for local villagers near my plant.

Future goals
Plan A- Management Consulting
Plan B- Operations/downstream oil & gas

Background- Rose from a very low economic status by working for 8.5 years and considering an MBA now since I have stabilised my fiancial conditions.

Already applied-ISB

Seeking suggestions for alternate colleges to apply

Please suggest suitability of my profile to Insead.

Hello NITUNKUMAR2018,

Thank you for writing to us.

There is definitely a strong career progression, fine leadership experience, and a number of achievements to talk about. All of these add much value to your profile.

On the flip side of it, however, your GMAT is nothing stellar (considering the average GMAT of Indians with tech backgrounds applying to INSEAD) and a retake is strongly recommended. Further, INSEAD does appreciate some international or entrepreneurial experience and in the absence of the same, a spike needs to be showcased elsewhere. We suggest you take the GMAT once again and aim for a score upwards of 740. That should you give you some sort of a realistic short at INSEAD.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck! :-)

Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.59
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 23:19
Hi, would like an evaluation of profile strength for INSEAD

GMAT : 710, 46Q 40V

Undergrad: BE Mechanical 3.59/4 cgpa, Final year project with country's space agency related to rocket design, Conference paper on the design. Extracurricular activities in leading roles.

Work Experience: 2 years, majorly in oil and gas sector, Currently Team Lead Mechanical, with additional roles as HoD Procurement and Warehousing leading around 10 people. Experience involves commissioning of a plant and a takeover of another plant as a key member of Projects team of around 30 people.

Nationality: Pakistani

Languages: Urdu, English

short term goals: Switching to management consulting

Voluntary work: teaching underprivileged children at a school for free seeing that the root cause of many problems in my country is illiteracy and a lack of exposure

Thanks a lot in advance :)
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 06:51
Hello NITUNKUMAR2018

Let us break this down- While past acads look decent, the GMAT, though good, is not stellar to help you stand out in the tough competition.
Moving on to work ex- it looks interesting and different from most Indian applicants, and could be a potential strength in your application. However, unlike academics, work experience is subjective and is measured by the depth of your experiences- career progress, achievements. These seem to have potential, will further depend on how you choose to present the same. Now you do not have any international experience (that always helps at INSEAD), showcase international motivation in your work ex, interests and career goals.
Extracurricular activities look weak (except for the borewell story)- as school/college activities do not carry much weight (unless you have accomplished something spectacular)
Lastly, the career goals are too disconnected, the operations role seems more realistic and organic looking at the limited information in this post.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

NITUNKUMAR2018 wrote:
Age- 30 years

GMAT- 700 (Q49, V36, IR-6, AWA-6)

UG- B.E. in Instrumentation and Control from NSIT, Delhi

UG %age -79.7 (2nd ranker but no document for that)

12th-85.4%

10th-89.4%

Work Experience-8.5 years

Company- Indian Oil Corporation Limited

Department- Operations

Present designation- Incharge of a plant having annual turnover of Rs. 2400 crores and supplying petroleum products to 6 districts, heading a team of 18 employees, 50 contract labours, 300 Tanker crew.

Previous roles- worked in similar plants in different roles as supplies manager, safety officer, maintenance manager, second in command in 3 different plants including present one.

Professional achievements-

1. youngest plant incharge of IOCL at present.

2. developed a new supply model for a 500 crore customer to prevent him from switching on account of enroute pilferage from tankers leading to huge losses to customer

3. brought about market realignment to save 2.2 crore annually on logistics costs in the plant

4. designed the automation system for Rail wagons for which pilot project is being undertaken at my plant and post successful commissioning will be replicated on PAN India basis.

5. undertook capitalization projects worth Rs. 33 crores as maintenance manager in previous plant and Rs. 16 crore in the capacity of plant incharge presently.

6. All India winner of a series of online quizzes conducted by our operations department on various topics covering downstream oil operations.

7. My plant awarded British International Safety award for commitment to occupational health, safety and welbeing.

8. presented techincal paper to management proposing modification in core facilities in the plant to meet future challenges.

9. Developed e-learning modules for Operations department for effective training of employees, labour etc.

International experience- Nil

Extra curricular

1. Silver medalist at one National Level Painting competitions and have significant achievements in fine arts at various levels throughout school and college life.

2. President of college's annual cultural festival

3. Organised oil conservation rallies/signature campaigns

4. Provided borewell for local villagers near my plant.

Future goals
Plan A- Management Consulting
Plan B- Operations/downstream oil & gas

Background- Rose from a very low economic status by working for 8.5 years and considering an MBA now since I have stabilised my fiancial conditions.

Already applied-ISB

Seeking suggestions for alternate colleges to apply

Please suggest suitability of my profile to Insead.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 00:26
Hi! I am planning to apply for the January 2020 intake, and would like know my chances of acceptance. Below is the brief summary of my profile:

Sex: Male
Nationality: Pakistani
GMAT: 650 (Q 45, V 35, IR 6)
Bachelors: Oxford brooks – First class honours (Considered 4.0)
ACCA: 65% - Completed in 1.5 Years, which at that time was an achievement. Not sure if it is the case nowadays
Languages: English (PTE 90), Urdu, Punjabi, (Arabic very basic)

Work Experience – Total 7.5 Years

1 - EY – Pakistan

Audit Junior – 1 yr
Audit Semi Senior – 1 Yr
Audit Senior – 1 Yr

Secondments

EY – Saudi Arabia
Tax accountant 1 Yr

Commercial Officer - Engor – Pakistan (Biggest listed company of Pakistan)
4 months

Team leadership – Lead teams of up to 20 people
Promotions – Every year

2 - Tech Company (Leading recruitment portal in UAE) – United Arab Emirates

Accountant – 1 yr
Senior Accountant – 5 months
Assistant Finance Manager – 2 Years

Key responsibilities:

Reporting directly to CEO, I am fully responsible of the finance function of our Dubai and UK office. Other key aspects:

• Overseeing the fund raising process of the company
• Make strategies for the business’s expansion into other countries
• Will be promoted to finance manager position in the next couple of weeks
• CEO is Insead alumni and would give excellent recommendation

Extracurricular:

Endurance obstacle races (Spartan trifecta)
Hiking
Squash and table tennis

I have not been involved in volunteer work recently. But have worked on assignments of UNICEF and several other NGO’s in the past.

Post MBA motivation -

Want to work in the finance function of a tech giant before setting up my own company within next 5 years.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Date: 05-31-2015
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 19:04
Hello,
Could someone please help evaluate my profile and suggest what I can improve on before I submit my application.
Planning to apply for
R4 Sep2019 intake
Or
R1 Jan 2020 intake
Education: Master’s in Computer Aided Manufacturing (branch of Mechanical Engineering), NIT Warangal, 8.85
Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineer - Osmania University, India 74.5%
Current Role: Lead Engineer
Work Ex: total of 6 years with General Electric.
1. 4 years in Switch gear industry:
• Owned the design and testing of the new product
• Travelled to the manufacturing facility in Mexico to set-up manufacturing line for the new product. Educate the teams on the assembly steps and procedures
• New product launched in 2016 generated $4M annually and increased GE’s market share by 3 points
2. 2 years in GE Aviation (present role):
• Switched industries from Switch gear to Aviation and profile from Product Design to Product + Digital
• Identified issues with the engine services shop in South Asia. As a program lead, led the team to build a digital platform that will aid the shop in taking informed decision based on data rather than perceptions. This is helping the shop save around $1M annually.
• Working with leadership on scaling this platform to other global shops.
• Filed 2 patents & 1 trade secret. 4 more patents in pipeline to be filed
Extracurricular:
Nothing standing out but I have represented my university for volleyball.

Post MBA Goals:
I am presently working on the technical aspects of project management and would like to learn more about the financial aspects such as learning how to read P&L statements, how mergers & acquisitions work. I feel learning these through an MBA, which has a diverse student group, will bring in another dimension to the learning experience.
GMAT: 640(45Q+34V), 5.0 – AWA, 7-IR
Thank You in advance for your perusal of my profile.

Kind Regards

Sent from my SM-A710F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 10:09
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 8.9(one of the toppers of my stream)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Investment Banking, Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jan 2019, 10:09

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   [ 507 posts ] 

INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hideto, MBAPrepCoach

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap