GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Experts' Global Representative
S
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 04:08
ImadTurey wrote:
Hi,

I've recently taken the GMAT exam and plan to start my applications soon. INSEAD is one of my top choices as my preferences are oriented towards getting an European MBA. It would be really helpful if I could get your opinions about the fit of my profile with the INSEAD Program. Below is my profile,

GPA - 3.5
GMAT - 710 (Q88,V39,IR7)

Under Grad - A Bachelor in Engineering (Electronics) from an Indian University

Work Ex - Total experience is 4+. Started with a pure play Analytics firm as a Decision Scientist. Worked on Analytics projects that helped clients make Data driven decisions. Gained good exposure in interacting with US based Clients while driving presentations. Gained good exposure to US Healthcare industry and moved to a Healthcare solutions company as a Business Analyst. At my current role I regularly interact with clients, understand their problems and use our proprietary data to provide Solutions/Insights. Have had an accelerated promotion to the designation of a Senior Business Analyst, in recognition of my competencies. Most of clients, and my immediate supervisors are US/Canada based, so that provides me some global exposure.

Nationality - Indian Administered Kashmir. The reason I emphasize Kashmir is because I come from a Non - Conventional Indian applicant pool. Kashmir is ethnically, linguistically and culturally distinct from mainland India and I hope that helps my application as a plus for the Diversity factor

Personnel Achievements - Have been a high achiever in Academics/Sports/Extra Curricular through my Education years (Most of them have been in far away Residential Schools). Besides the accelerated promotion at my current job, I've received multiple Impact Awards

Short Entrepreneurial Stint - In between the 2 jobs I took few months off to start a Medium scale Business in my hometown. But due to political instability in the region, I had to stop midway and move back to corporate

Post MBA goals - Given the nature of my current job, I'd like to leverage my existing problem solving acumen to break into the Management Consulting scene

Community Support - I am an active member of an organization in my home town which collects charities from members of the society and puts them to the use of people whose lives are affected by the instability in the region

Would greatly appreciate any inputs and suggestions for my application.

Thanks!

Hello ImadTurey,

Thanks for writing in.

The career progress sounds good and while the global exposure is not stellar. it will give you a talking point for sure.

Having said the above, the GMAT is on the lower side of the spectrum and for you to stand a realistic chance, a re-take is strongly recommended. Of course, while you may choose to bring out the diversity in your background suitably in your essays, essentially you will continue to fall into the conventional Indian pool and therefore the GMAT expectations will be a lot higher.

Do explain the gap in work experience through your essays; remember to focus on those few months from the viewpoint of learning. INSEAD appreciates entrepreneurial experience so you must build up on this as much as you can.

Hope this helps!

All the best!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Experts' Global Representative
S
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 04:39
NITUNKUMAR2018 wrote:
Age- 30 years

GMAT- 700 (Q49, V36, IR-6, AWA-6)

UG- B.E. in Instrumentation and Control from NSIT, Delhi

UG %age -79.7 (2nd ranker but no document for that)

12th-85.4%

10th-89.4%

Work Experience-8.5 years

Company- Indian Oil Corporation Limited

Department- Operations

Present designation- Incharge of a plant having annual turnover of Rs. 2400 crores and supplying petroleum products to 6 districts, heading a team of 18 employees, 50 contract labours, 300 Tanker crew.

Previous roles- worked in similar plants in different roles as supplies manager, safety officer, maintenance manager, second in command in 3 different plants including present one.

Professional achievements-

1. youngest plant incharge of IOCL at present.

2. developed a new supply model for a 500 crore customer to prevent him from switching on account of enroute pilferage from tankers leading to huge losses to customer

3. brought about market realignment to save 2.2 crore annually on logistics costs in the plant

4. designed the automation system for Rail wagons for which pilot project is being undertaken at my plant and post successful commissioning will be replicated on PAN India basis.

5. undertook capitalization projects worth Rs. 33 crores as maintenance manager in previous plant and Rs. 16 crore in the capacity of plant incharge presently.

6. All India winner of a series of online quizzes conducted by our operations department on various topics covering downstream oil operations.

7. My plant awarded British International Safety award for commitment to occupational health, safety and welbeing.

8. presented techincal paper to management proposing modification in core facilities in the plant to meet future challenges.

9. Developed e-learning modules for Operations department for effective training of employees, labour etc.

International experience- Nil

Extra curricular

1. Silver medalist at one National Level Painting competitions and have significant achievements in fine arts at various levels throughout school and college life.

2. President of college's annual cultural festival

3. Organised oil conservation rallies/signature campaigns

4. Provided borewell for local villagers near my plant.

Future goals
Plan A- Management Consulting
Plan B- Operations/downstream oil & gas

Background- Rose from a very low economic status by working for 8.5 years and considering an MBA now since I have stabilised my fiancial conditions.

Already applied-ISB

Seeking suggestions for alternate colleges to apply

Please suggest suitability of my profile to Insead.

Hello NITUNKUMAR2018,

Thank you for writing to us.

There is definitely a strong career progression, fine leadership experience, and a number of achievements to talk about. All of these add much value to your profile.

On the flip side of it, however, your GMAT is nothing stellar (considering the average GMAT of Indians with tech backgrounds applying to INSEAD) and a retake is strongly recommended. Further, INSEAD does appreciate some international or entrepreneurial experience and in the absence of the same, a spike needs to be showcased elsewhere. We suggest you take the GMAT once again and aim for a score upwards of 740. That should you give you some sort of a realistic short at INSEAD.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck! :-)
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Oxford"20 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.59
WE: Engineering (Other)
INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 00:19
Hi, would like an evaluation of profile strength for INSEAD

GMAT : 710, 46Q 40V

Undergrad: BE Mechanical 3.59/4 cgpa, Final year project with country's space agency related to rocket design, Conference paper on the design. Extracurricular activities in leading roles.

Work Experience: 2 years, majorly in oil and gas sector, Currently Team Lead Mechanical, with additional roles as HoD Procurement and Warehousing leading around 10 people. Experience involves commissioning of a plant and a takeover of another plant as a key member of Projects team of around 30 people.

Nationality: Pakistani

Languages: Urdu, English

short term goals: Switching to management consulting

Voluntary work: teaching underprivileged children at a school for free seeing that the root cause of many problems in my country is illiteracy and a lack of exposure

Thanks a lot in advance :)
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 07:51
Hello NITUNKUMAR2018

Let us break this down- While past acads look decent, the GMAT, though good, is not stellar to help you stand out in the tough competition.
Moving on to work ex- it looks interesting and different from most Indian applicants, and could be a potential strength in your application. However, unlike academics, work experience is subjective and is measured by the depth of your experiences- career progress, achievements. These seem to have potential, will further depend on how you choose to present the same. Now you do not have any international experience (that always helps at INSEAD), showcase international motivation in your work ex, interests and career goals.
Extracurricular activities look weak (except for the borewell story)- as school/college activities do not carry much weight (unless you have accomplished something spectacular)
Lastly, the career goals are too disconnected, the operations role seems more realistic and organic looking at the limited information in this post.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

NITUNKUMAR2018 wrote:
Age- 30 years

GMAT- 700 (Q49, V36, IR-6, AWA-6)

UG- B.E. in Instrumentation and Control from NSIT, Delhi

UG %age -79.7 (2nd ranker but no document for that)

12th-85.4%

10th-89.4%

Work Experience-8.5 years

Company- Indian Oil Corporation Limited

Department- Operations

Present designation- Incharge of a plant having annual turnover of Rs. 2400 crores and supplying petroleum products to 6 districts, heading a team of 18 employees, 50 contract labours, 300 Tanker crew.

Previous roles- worked in similar plants in different roles as supplies manager, safety officer, maintenance manager, second in command in 3 different plants including present one.

Professional achievements-

1. youngest plant incharge of IOCL at present.

2. developed a new supply model for a 500 crore customer to prevent him from switching on account of enroute pilferage from tankers leading to huge losses to customer

3. brought about market realignment to save 2.2 crore annually on logistics costs in the plant

4. designed the automation system for Rail wagons for which pilot project is being undertaken at my plant and post successful commissioning will be replicated on PAN India basis.

5. undertook capitalization projects worth Rs. 33 crores as maintenance manager in previous plant and Rs. 16 crore in the capacity of plant incharge presently.

6. All India winner of a series of online quizzes conducted by our operations department on various topics covering downstream oil operations.

7. My plant awarded British International Safety award for commitment to occupational health, safety and welbeing.

8. presented techincal paper to management proposing modification in core facilities in the plant to meet future challenges.

9. Developed e-learning modules for Operations department for effective training of employees, labour etc.

International experience- Nil

Extra curricular

1. Silver medalist at one National Level Painting competitions and have significant achievements in fine arts at various levels throughout school and college life.

2. President of college's annual cultural festival

3. Organised oil conservation rallies/signature campaigns

4. Provided borewell for local villagers near my plant.

Future goals
Plan A- Management Consulting
Plan B- Operations/downstream oil & gas

Background- Rose from a very low economic status by working for 8.5 years and considering an MBA now since I have stabilised my fiancial conditions.

Already applied-ISB

Seeking suggestions for alternate colleges to apply

Please suggest suitability of my profile to Insead.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 01:26
Hi! I am planning to apply for the January 2020 intake, and would like know my chances of acceptance. Below is the brief summary of my profile:

Sex: Male
Nationality: Pakistani
GMAT: 650 (Q 45, V 35, IR 6)
Bachelors: Oxford brooks – First class honours (Considered 4.0)
ACCA: 65% - Completed in 1.5 Years, which at that time was an achievement. Not sure if it is the case nowadays
Languages: English (PTE 90), Urdu, Punjabi, (Arabic very basic)

Work Experience – Total 7.5 Years

1 - EY – Pakistan

Audit Junior – 1 yr
Audit Semi Senior – 1 Yr
Audit Senior – 1 Yr

Secondments

EY – Saudi Arabia
Tax accountant 1 Yr

Commercial Officer - Engor – Pakistan (Biggest listed company of Pakistan)
4 months

Team leadership – Lead teams of up to 20 people
Promotions – Every year

2 - Tech Company (Leading recruitment portal in UAE) – United Arab Emirates

Accountant – 1 yr
Senior Accountant – 5 months
Assistant Finance Manager – 2 Years

Key responsibilities:

Reporting directly to CEO, I am fully responsible of the finance function of our Dubai and UK office. Other key aspects:

• Overseeing the fund raising process of the company
• Make strategies for the business’s expansion into other countries
• Will be promoted to finance manager position in the next couple of weeks
• CEO is Insead alumni and would give excellent recommendation

Extracurricular:

Endurance obstacle races (Spartan trifecta)
Hiking
Squash and table tennis

I have not been involved in volunteer work recently. But have worked on assignments of UNICEF and several other NGO’s in the past.

Post MBA motivation -

Want to work in the finance function of a tech giant before setting up my own company within next 5 years.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Date: 05-31-2015
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 20:04
Hello,
Could someone please help evaluate my profile and suggest what I can improve on before I submit my application.
Planning to apply for
R4 Sep2019 intake
Or
R1 Jan 2020 intake
Education: Master’s in Computer Aided Manufacturing (branch of Mechanical Engineering), NIT Warangal, 8.85
Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineer - Osmania University, India 74.5%
Current Role: Lead Engineer
Work Ex: total of 6 years with General Electric.
1. 4 years in Switch gear industry:
• Owned the design and testing of the new product
• Travelled to the manufacturing facility in Mexico to set-up manufacturing line for the new product. Educate the teams on the assembly steps and procedures
• New product launched in 2016 generated $4M annually and increased GE’s market share by 3 points
2. 2 years in GE Aviation (present role):
• Switched industries from Switch gear to Aviation and profile from Product Design to Product + Digital
• Identified issues with the engine services shop in South Asia. As a program lead, led the team to build a digital platform that will aid the shop in taking informed decision based on data rather than perceptions. This is helping the shop save around $1M annually.
• Working with leadership on scaling this platform to other global shops.
• Filed 2 patents & 1 trade secret. 4 more patents in pipeline to be filed
Extracurricular:
Nothing standing out but I have represented my university for volleyball.

Post MBA Goals:
I am presently working on the technical aspects of project management and would like to learn more about the financial aspects such as learning how to read P&L statements, how mergers & acquisitions work. I feel learning these through an MBA, which has a diverse student group, will bring in another dimension to the learning experience.
GMAT: 640(45Q+34V), 5.0 – AWA, 7-IR
Thank You in advance for your perusal of my profile.

Kind Regards

Sent from my SM-A710F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 11:09
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 8.9(one of the toppers of my stream)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Investment Banking, Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:
INSEAD MBA 11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 18:08
Hi aroraishita02,

thank you for sharing your profile.

Overall, you have good elements to be a serious candidate for INSEAD.

Just a few considerations.

In order to set yourself apart from other Indians from tech, make sure to stress your experience leading teams and how you have impacted the business (either your company's or your client's).

Also, in your application, it is very important that you highlight your international experiences and show that you are able to adapt easily to other cultures and work in multicultural teams.

I would recommend you also to give it some more thought to your career goals, as IB and Consulting are quite different. I would probably go with Consulting, given that your current skillset is probably easier to leverage in consulting than in IB.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Check out our REVIEWS on GMAT Club here

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
ARLee Consulting
G
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 18:18
Hi Saisaripella,

First of all, I strongly recommend you to not apply in R4 for the Sep 19 Intake.

But in any case, your 640 GMAT score will put you in a serious disadvantage in whichever round and intake you apply. I strongly recommend you a retake and get at least 720-730.

Also, I'm still unclear as to your career goals. I feel you told us what you would like to learn during your MBA, but not your career goals. Please, think about your target industry, function and geography post-MBA (both short and long-term).

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 03:55
I am planning to apply for the Jan 2020 Intake. Appreciate if you can evaluate my profile.

Indian - Male - 27 years
GMAT - 740 (V40, Q50)
Undergrad - B.Tech Chemical Engineering from one of the top 3 National Institute of Technology (NIT) (Top 15 Engineering College in India)

Professional Experience: (Total - 5.5 years at Matriculation)

First Job - Converted internship to a full time role at Reliance Industries, India's largest publicly traded company by market capitalization. Worked with the production data analytics team there. Gained interest and experience in data analytics.

Second Job - Joined a Big-Data startup in the Ad-Tech industry as analyst. Promoted to Manager within eight months. Was responsible for marketing performance delivery for and revenue from all the clients in South East Asia and Australia- New Zealand Geographies. Mentored and managed a team of 3 associates. Responsible for $1M of quarterly revenue.
Was chosen one among 5 managers to work with a small team to develop a new SaaS Tech Product from scratch. Scaled the new product from 0 to $1M Revenue and team from 1 to 6 product analysts and account managers. Worked mainly with the product strategy team at the end stages of my stint here. Traveled to Dubai and Malaysia for work but wasn't there for more than a month at a time.
- Won two STAR Performer of the quarter awards.
- Won one SPOT Award for outstanding performance.

Current Job - Core team member (Founding Team) of an early stage startup in the Ad Tech industry. Heading product and business operations. Scaled the business from $100K - $1.1M within eight months.

Extra Curricular Activities and Positions of Responsibilities Held:
- Vice-Captain of College Cricket team
- Additional Secretary - Innovation and Entrepreneurship Club at College.
- Taught Mathematics and Physics to underprivileged children for six months (Weekends).
- Took a month's Sabbatical from Work after my second job and went to my native village. Helped the farmers and students build a common platform to help learn from each other.

Post MBA Goals:
Short Term - Work as a Product Manager in a Tech (E-commerce, Internet) Firm and help build Products and Businesses.
Long Term - Build a new tech company.

Question:
Heard INSEAD looks specifically for International Exposure. While I have significant experience of working with top global brands in E-Commerce and Banking Industries, I have never lived in a country other than India. How to undermine this?
ARLee Consulting
G

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 05:07
Hi sushforgmat,

Overall, your profile is quite strong. I particularly like your career progression and professional achievements.

What INSEAD looks for is International Motivation. Of course, one of the best ways to show your international motivation is through your international exposure. Although somewhat short, your travels to Dubai and Malaysia will help, so make sure to leverage these well in your application.

Also, you could show international motivation in other ways: e.g. exposure and adaptability to work in multi-cultural teams, interest for cultures other than your own, global career goals, fluency in foreign languages, international trips for leisure, etc...

You'll be competing against lots of Indians with +740 GMAT scores and several years living in different countries, but if you're able to articulate well your international motivation then you could be a serious competitor in the Indian applicant pool.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 07:09
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi sushforgmat,

Overall, your profile is quite strong. I particularly like your career progression and professional achievements.

What INSEAD looks for is International Motivation. Of course, one of the best ways to show your international motivation is through your international exposure. Although somewhat short, your travels to Dubai and Malaysia will help, so make sure to leverage these well in your application.

Also, you could show international motivation in other ways: e.g. exposure and adaptability to work in multi-cultural teams, interest for cultures other than your own, global career goals, fluency in foreign languages, international trips for leisure, etc...

You'll be competing against lots of Indians with +740 GMAT scores and several years living in different countries, but if you're able to articulate well your international motivation then you could be a serious competitor in the Indian applicant pool.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex

ARLeeConsulting

Alex, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my profile. I will try and see how I can present my International motivation.

MBAkarma ExpertsGlobal. Any thoughts from your side?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 07:26
hello sushforgmat

While Alex has answered the 'International Motivation' part pretty comprehensively, and I agree with him that you seem to have a good shot at INSEAD from the data points provided (You will still need to present your case strongly via the written application), I'd add the following pointers-

1. The extracurricular activities seem more like a laundry list right now, and showcase less depth/quality. School/university activities usually carry less weight, unless you have achieved something spectacular. A good extracurricular must have had long term/serious commitment and a positive impact on your life/someone else's life.
2. Career goals need to be tied with why studying at INSEAD is the most logical step.
3. If you can focus on your cross-cultural experiences and international motivation in future goals- you will benefit.
From here it is all about tying your Academic background, professional experience, diversity factors and career goals into one seamless narrative that presents how INSEAD is the right place for you to be in the short term.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

sushforgmat wrote:
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi sushforgmat,

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex

ARLeeConsulting

Alex, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my profile. I will try and see how I can present my International motivation.

MBAkarma ExpertsGlobal. Any thoughts from your side?

Intern
Intern
INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 12:42
Greetings all.

Here is my profile.
US Citizen
Bachelors - Indian Univ - 3.4 GPA
Masters(CS) - TAMU - 3.8 GPA
GMAT : 700 (not going to use this)
GRE : 332
WE - 110
Current occupation -Consulting - Director at Big 4
Started a boutique Cyber Sec consulting firm with three other colleagues. Sold @$1.6 MM in six months - exit strategy.
International assignments - most worked based out of USA but monthly/quarterly visits to Dublin, London, Sydney, India, Tel Aviv, Latin America.
Consulted on a few classified/govt projects.
Led the college soccer team. Board member of the local soccer league.
Volunteer monthly for - Feed my Starving Children and Child Rights and You(this is not an accomplishment, should I even bother to mention ? )
Post-MBA Goal: Start Management consulting and eventually end up in a C role(2-3 years post MBA) with a parallel focus on entrepreneurship.

Target Schools
INSEAD, Kellogg (Can't afford to spend over a year).

P.S., I did consider executive MBA but given my 60-75 hour work weeks, this is not feasible. I want to go for a Full-Time MBA.

I really appreciate the help and thank you.
ARLee Consulting
G

Affiliations:

Reviews on GMAT Club:

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 18:35
Hi zoomer,

You have very positive things going on in your profile that will be of the interest of INSEAD (and Kellogg).

However, let me focus on the main areas of concern.

As you may know, with 80% of INSEAD's class ranging from 26 to 32 years old, your age is perhaps the biggest vulnerability in your profile (I'm assuming 34 is your current age, and not your age at matriculation). It's not that your age will automatically disqualify you, but it means that INSEAD will expect more from you in terms of career progression when compared to younger candidates. You are definitely quite accomplished, so make sure to leverage this and present yourself as someone who is senior, and yet, needs an MBA precisely now.

Although you have been in multiple international assignments, you'll need to show that you are very adaptable to working in multi-cultural teams and that you are curious about cultures other than your own. As you know, speaking several languages also helps in this regard. Which languages do you speak and what's your fluency level?

Your extra-curriculars are a bit on the weak side. However, what INSEAD looks for is candidates with interesting lives in and outside of work. Therefore, in your application, try to talk about all those interests and hobbies you're passionate about and that can help you stand out from the rest of applicants.

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 00:11
Hello all!

Recent INSEAD graduate here and will be happy to help do any deep dive free profile evaluations over the phone if anyone is keen! Details below.

Paying it forward
Abhinay

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago when I needed MBA Admissions Consulting services and guidance from current students and alumni but always faced the problem of either the admissions consultants being too expensive to afford or not knowing the right student/alumnus from my target school who can guide me. I graduated recently in Dec 2017 from INSEAD and realized that this needs to change and democratizing the consulting process makes much more sense. This is why I have started Easy MBA Admit - An Admissions Consulting service for the people, by the people. Why should you be interested? Here's why:

1. The most affordable admissions consulting service with services starting at $100 (mostly to cover operational expenses) - because we believe more in paying it forward and helping future MBA aspirants rather than making huge profits.

2. All services offered by recent alumni/current students from top B Schools like INSEAD, LBS, CBS, Kellogg, Stern, IESE, Wharton, etc. motivated by goodwill and who were in your shoes not too long ago and hence know how best to position your application.

3. Proud to say that so far we have had a 100% success record at placing aspirants in their target schools. Examples include INSEAD, LBS, IESE, HEC Paris, CBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Stern, NUS, NTU and more

4. Get your Free Intro Call (https://www.easymbaadmit.com/services-1/free-intro-call) with no obligations attached. If you do book any of our services we have a money back guarantee in case you don't like the service.

Website - https://www.easymbaadmit.com
Email - easymbaadmit@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Sep 2019, 12:36
<deleted>

Originally posted by MadhaviRS on 10 Feb 2019, 23:07.
Last edited by MadhaviRS on 15 Sep 2019, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 10:00
Hello MadhaviRS

I don't think that your age will be a major concern.
There are some positives in your profile as well- diversity due to industry/work experience for instance. But don't rest on that- If I were you, in the written application, I'd focus on showcasing the depth of this experience- namely career progress and accomplishments.
No need to convert the GPA really- the GMAT will matter too, with missing information on actual or expected score, the feedback is incomplete.
Extracurricular look interesting too. Just like work ex, this is a qualitative aspect and will require you to talk about achievements and impact.
Lastly, career goals- the most important piece of the admissions puzzle is actually missing. While on a personal level, I understand that an MBA will add to your profile, but to what end? What are your specific goals? Not very clear from the current post.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

MadhaviRS wrote:
Hello,
I'm an Indian applicant interested in applying to European B schools for their Jan 2020 intake. I'm particularly interested in applying to INSEAD.

My profile is briefly as follows and would be grateful for any inputs or suggestions you may have.

Education - 5 year law from Bangalore University and professionally qualified as a Company Secretary. My CGPA is 4.0 as per MBA.com, but according to Indian standards it is only average.

Work experience - (5+years) worked as a consultant with a local law firm and company secretary firm for about 2+ years. Trained to be a company secretary with a chartered accountancy firm for 1+ years. Currently working with a fortune 500 company as in house counsel and CS since 2+ years. Was promoted before1.5 years. I work with the senior management and manage the Board of Directors.

My exposure has been in litigation, financial reporting, consumer and service related matters, business negotiations, Board Management, government reporting, legal compliances and all regular legal work. I also worked as a grammar consultant for a Swiz based company that taught English to non-English speakers across the world. (this was during my initial career days). I have international exposure based on the contracts I have worked on with my company,but no travel abroad (just a vacation).

Volunteer Work: Taught children and assisted in teaching children of various age groups, volunteered in orphanages and children in a remote village in my state - mostly crafts and lifeskills. Volunteered to bring awareness on cancer. [I do not have certificates for most of these because I did them out of the interest I have had.]

Other Interests: Trekking, Travelling, Reading, Dancing [trained], Psychology [was part of a voluntary psychology group in a local club for over 6 years], Toastmasters

I'm yet to begin working on my applications and will be able to apply only for by April. I understand that my age might be a concern, but I want to do an MBA because I really think it will add value to the profile I currently have and broaden my horizons from being just a corporate lawyer+ CS. I believe it is important for me to understand the business in depth as there is a definite dependency on the decisions made by the Board/legal contracts I draft or negotiate on.

Based on the above, any inputs and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 00:30
Hello,

Wanted to check if my age and experience hinders an admission into Insead one year MBA or should i consider Executive program elsewhere; Here is my profile

Experience:-13+ years
Post Grad:- One year full time MBA from IMT Ghaziabad(Major Marketing)
Under Grad:- ComputerScience Engineering

I am looking for an admit in 2020 and would have completed at-least 13 of experience in IT industry. I have assumed various roles in the my career from product development, sales and product management. Have a fulltime stint in Malaysia for an year. Essentially, PGDM from IMT ghaziabad helped me switch roles from purely Technical to Business oriented ones. Now i am looking for an impetus to my career and working towards leadership role in product management. I am seeking help to understand, what does it take to build a profile from product management to general management.(Roles include VP, General Manager Products). Would one year MBA add value to my CV now?

thanks
kaushik
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 01:15
Yes it's very likely that you would benefit from an MBA, if you are finding that this is stopping you from getting into General management or if you feel what you could learn in a 1-year program would help you ascend the ranks. However it's really kind of a sad story I have to tell you the acceptance rate for people with your profile is about half of what it is for the average.

Computer science IT Indian male this is the most prevalent profile and so it's really really difficult to separate yourself. It's generally understood that Indians need to have a GMAT at least 20 points over the average to be competitive.

To know more about your chances I would need to assess how maybe we could put you in a different light, what kind of hobbies interests you have, any type of community service you might have done. This is for top schools like Cambridge Oxford IMD HEC. Maybe IE, RSM.

If you wanted to study in the US then I think you will need to focus on the Sloan fellows program which is a one-year MBA design for midterm candidates however of course it is extremely competitive. it goes by Sloan fellows and for Stanford that goes by the name of Stanford MSX. these programs are designed exactly for the purpose you have in mind.

This would be maybe a little bit less urgent you could apply next year 35 is a fine time to be in that program however for a full-time program 33 too old for the US, with very rare exception, however it is just a little bit oldish for Europe.

In Europe a lot of programs have an average age of 29 or 30, like the ones I mentioned above. You might also apply to INSEAD but only if you have a pretty sky high GMAT or some really interesting facets to your story.

You can also go the direction of an Executive MBA, which would be perfectly fine but there is not anything available in Malaysia that I think would be befitting of your goal. You need to be employed full-time for an Executive MBA, and I guess INSEAD would be a good choice or some other GEMBA meaning global emba traveling to different locations with colleagues at different points of the year. It's a lot of travel. But then you get a lot done online as well.

IESE has a similar program and there is some US schools that do as well like Darden and Duke.

The nice thing about executive programs is that you don't need a GMAT score for many of them. Also some of them meet every 3 weeks or once per month. Kellogg is a top regarded program and they meet once per month in Miami and there's no GMAT required. However most programs such as Chicago Booth and Wharton and CBS do require a GMAT.
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2019, 01:15

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  36    Next  [ 705 posts ] 

INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto