Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [292]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [87]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [18]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [6]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Many kitchens today are equipped with high-speed electrical gadgets [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
naumyuk wrote:
Many kitchens today are equipped with high-speed electrical gadgets, such as blenders and food processors, which are able to inflict as serious injuries as those caused by an industrial wood-planing machine.

(A) which are able to inflict as serious injuries as those
(B) which can inflict serious injuries such as those
(C) inflicting injuries as serious as that having been
(D) capable to inflict injuries as serious as that
(E) capable of inflicting injuries as serious as those

Here is official GMAC explanation:
The point of this sentence is the claim that common kitchen appliances can be as dangerous as an industrial wood-planing machine. It makes this point by comparing the injuries (plural) caused by blenders and food processors with those (also plural) caused by the wood-planing machine. An efficient way to make this comparison is to use the idiom capable of, an adjective phrase rather than a relative clause, after blenders and food processors.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Many kitchens today are equipped with high-speed electrical gadgets [#permalink]
Hi! daagh,

I was confused between 'A' and 'D'. I am unable to see any mistake in 'A' as it says- blenders and food processors are able to inflict as serious injuries as those (injuries) caused by....... (as X as Y)

Could you please help shedding more light on the mistake in this option. Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [7]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
I was confused between 'A' and 'D'. I am unable to see any mistake in 'A' as it says- blenders and food processors are able to inflict as serious injuries as those (injuries) caused by....... (as X as Y)
Could you please help shedding more light on the mistake in this option. Thanks

A is ALSO WRONG for the following reason :
A says: Many kitchens today are equipped with high-speed electrical gadgets, such as blenders and food processors, which are able to inflict as serious injuries as those caused by an industrial wood-planing machine.
----->the usage of "WHICH" is WRONG in A; "WHICH" has been used without COMMA in option A .The comma that you are seeing is for the following construction "such as blenders and food processors" AND NOT for "WHICH"

ALSO "ABLE TO" is WRONG in option A ---->it gives a sense that these "electrical gadgets" are doing this INTENTIONALLY !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is a comparison between injuries caused by kitchen gadgets and wood planing machines. A says that the gadgets can cause those serious injuries as caused by the planing machines. Whereas E says that, the gadgets can cause many injuries including as the serious ones caused by the machines. The logical follow up is to ask whether the gadgets cannot cause less serious injuries. Yes, they can and, therefore, E wins by practical rationale. Capable of or able to is just a ploy, as I see it.

Of course, The OE throws no more light than announcing the OA, as we often tend to say in our explanations that X is better than Y, rather than say why.

Originally posted by daagh on 30 Dec 2015, 05:47.
Last edited by daagh on 05 May 2017, 00:29, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
a is wrong because, if I do not make a mistake

as+adjective +a+noun+as
is correct pattern
we do not have plural noun between as ... as

this point of grammar is too subtle and is purely grammatical and so is not focus of gmat sc. there is one gmatprep question which test this pattern. if this question appear on your test, are are on 750 score already.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
a is wrong because, if I do not make a mistake

as+adjective +a+noun+as
is correct pattern
we do not have plural noun between as ... as

this point of grammar is too subtle and is purely grammatical and so is not focus of gmat sc. there is one gmatprep question which test this pattern. if this question appear on your test, are are on 750 score already.

I am not sure whether the point you mentioned is correct. Take this example:

It is as good a book as any.
They are as good books as any.

The second construction in plural does not seem to be wrong.

However, from concision aspect, option E is better than option A. I shall try to compare with a simpler example:

Option I: using a clause:I love football, which is the national game of Madland.
Option II: using a phrase: I love football, the national game of Madland.

Option II is obviously more concise than option I. This explanation seems to be the point in GMAC answer as mentioned by naumyak. (although the phrase used in the original sentence is an adjective phrase, not a noun phrase as is used here.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Discussing A and E:
One reason why A is not correct because it uses an unidiomatic (in the context) infinitive’ to inflict’ as though the gadgets intentionally cause the injuries. Capable of inflictive, an indicative idiom is better than the one in A.
In addition, one might note a subtle meaning error in A. The idea is to say that the gadgets can inflict injuries as serious as those caused by the woodcutters can. However, A distorts the logical intent by saying that they cause such serious injuries as those caused by the woodcutters. This implies that the gadgets can only cause injuries that are comparable in seriousness with the woodcutters and not less. Now we know the gadgets at worst cause as serious injuries as those by wood cutters and normally they are less serious.
I would say E is good.

Originally posted by daagh on 28 Jan 2016, 09:47.
Last edited by daagh on 25 Mar 2016, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Why E is better than B?

Is it only because the meaning the Daagh mentioned above?
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Send PM
In"B" "which" is not required. Also there is a comparison. Hence "as" is correct usage not "such as.".So it is not a case where examples are required. Hence "such as" is not needed in "B."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [3]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Many kitchens today are equipped with high-speed electrical gadgets, such as blenders and food processors, which are able to inflict as serious injuries as those caused by an industrial wood-planing machine.

Issue: Comparison

Analysis:
1. In this sentence we want to make sure that similar entities are being compared in the underlined clause i.e. injuries are compared with injuries

- Redundant

- "such as" changes the meaning of the sentence from what is originally intended.

- Incorrect comparison

- Incorrect idiom "capable to.."

Answer: (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi Experts,

I just wanted to clarify the comparison expression "As X As" in this question. If we have an expression: "As much X as Y", we make sure that X and Y are parallel elements that are being compared. Can you explain the usage of "As X As" expression for comparison? What 2 elements does it compare? Thanks a ton!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yt770 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I just wanted to clarify the comparison expression "As X As" in this question. If we have an expression: "As much X as Y", we make sure that X and Y are parallel elements that are being compared. Can you explain the usage of "As X As" expression for comparison? What 2 elements does it compare? Thanks a ton!

The parallel elements are "injuries" and "those".
"injuries" (inflicted by kitchen equipment) is compared with "those" (= injuries - cause by wood planing machines).

(In your structure "as X as", X is not an element of comparison: X = serious, an adjective - the structure here is "X as [adjective] as Y".)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
naumyuk wrote:

A- "as serious as" is incorrect it is saying the gadgets able to inflict "as serious injuries".. compare "inflict damage" to "inflict as serious injuries"... it's not a good comparison. Eliminate
B- 'such as those' is used to provide examples of injury types. This answer choice really doesn't fit without adding a comma between injuries and such. Verb Tense is also incorrect 'having been' does not fit with past tense already established by 'equipped'..Eliminate
C- 'gadets...inflicting' implies they are designed to inflict..thats their job..'inflicting...' Eliminate.
D- capable to.... incorrect idiom. Capable of

E - Correct use of idiom 'capable of' plus 'as serious as' is correct comparison. Lock it in
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi Experts!

I have a few questions in choice A.

1) I think some of the official questions uses "Noun" after the first "as" in 'as X as Y' construction and I believe that's okay. It's not a requirement to have an adjective or adverb for 'X' in 'as X as Y' construction. But in this question, the meaning would change because "as serious injuries as those caused by..." here we are saying that the gadgets will cause the same number of serious injuries as the number of injuries caused by industrial machine. The focus in this question is NOT on comparing the number of serious injuries but the "seriousness" of the injuries. Is my understanding correct here?

2) Can you tell me why "able to" is wrong here?

Thank you very much!

GMATNinja, sayantanc2k
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM