Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:51 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619878 [13]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Rachel: The legal drinking age in America should remain at 21, because [#permalink]
I vote for C.

The answer is not A because drinking responsibly is already mentioned in the passage.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Rachel: The legal drinking age in America should remain at 21, because [#permalink]
redskull1 wrote:
I vote for C.

The answer is not A because drinking responsibly is already mentioned in the passage.

Exactly the responsibility factor is mentioned but if you notice carefully it is for 18 years :)

We are inherently assuming that 21 years is a responsible age.

And same is assumed by Rachel as well.

Apart from that the whole argument by both the debators hinges on the responsibility only as per me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.1
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I'll go for A .

Rachal argument is based on the age when one drink responsibly .
Other statement is additional premise to support why the age should not be decreased.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
I dont know.I am still veering towards C because negating C breaks the argument.Also,in my view,the first statement of rachels argument and option A are pretty similar

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619878 [4]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Rachel: The legal drinking age in America should remain at 21, because teens have not yet reached an age where they are able to consume alcohol responsibly. Additionally, the actions of 18-year-olds are more likely to be imitated by teens aged 15 to 17 than are the actions of those who are significantly older, so lowering the drinking age to 18 would also result in increased alcohol consumption by younger teens trying to emulate the actions of their older peers.

Mackenzie: The drinking age in America should be lowered to 18, because keeping it at 21 has not only failed to curb teen drinking but has encouraged those teens who do drink to do so in private, uncontrolled environments where they are more prone to life-endangering behavior. Many youths in European countries drink from an early age, and those countries have substantially fewer alcohol-related problems than we do in America.

Rachel’s argument is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Those who have reached the age of 21 are able to consume alcohol more responsibly than those who are 18.

(B) When European teenagers consume alcohol, they do so in public, controlled environments.

(C) Teens who are 15 to 17 years old are more impressionable than those who are aged 18 or older.

(D) The impressionability of one’s actions on others should not be a consideration when deciding the legal age to consume alcohol.

(E) Consuming alcohol in private, uncontrolled environments is not more dangerous than consuming alcohol in more public environments, such as bars or restaurants.

SIMILAR "WEAKEN "QUESTION IS HERE.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

A. Rachel argues for retaining the current legal drinking age of 21. She bases her conclusion on the premises that younger drinkers are more likely to influence the behavior of 15- to 17-year-olds and that teens haven’t reached an age where they can drink alcohol responsibly.

To find the correct answer to questions that ask for an assumption, look for the answer choice that links one or more of the premises to the conclusion. Eliminate answer choices that don’t relate to at least one of the premises of the argument.

Choices (B) and (E) relate to one of Mackenzie’s premises, so it’s unlikely that they would reveal one of Rachel’s assumptions. Cross out those two answers on your noteboard.

You can also check off Choice (D) because it contradicts Rachel’s premise that the effect an 18-year-old’s alcohol consumption can have on younger peers is an important consideration in determining the legal drinking age. It’s also unlikely that Choice (C) is correct because Rachel doesn’t make comparisons regarding the impressionability of teens based on their ages. Her premise is that younger teens are more likely to be influenced by 18-year-olds than 21-year-olds. Furthermore, Choice (C) doesn’t link one of Rachel’s premises to her conclusion in the way that Choice (A) does.

If Rachel concludes that the legal drinking age must remain at 21 because younger drinkers don’t consume alcohol responsibly, she must think that 21-year-olds have achieved some level of responsibility that’s greater than those who are younger. Choice (A) links the relevance of one of Rachel’s premises (a lower level of responsible drinking) to her conclusion that people who are younger than 21 shouldn’t be able to legally consume alcohol. So the correct answer is Choice (A).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I had chosen option E as my answer. I think I understand where I went wrong but please do help check my understanding.

E says alcohol drinking in private environment more dangerous than in public environment . However, the premise does not tell us the degree of level of danger consuming alcohol in private environment compared to in consuming alcohol in public environment. That is the reason why option E is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
rish2708 wrote:
redskull1 wrote:
I vote for C.

Exactly the responsibility factor is mentioned but if you notice carefully it is for 18 years :)

We are inherently assuming that 21 years is a responsible age.

And same is assumed by Rachel as well.

Apart from that the whole argument by both the debators hinges on the responsibility only as per me.

i feel too that option A is a restatement of the premise................. Option C is better among the rest
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I go for A because I eliminate other options as below

(A) Those who have reached the age of 21 are able to consume alcohol more responsibly than those who are 18.
--> This is actually the assumption that the argument is based on. Try to negate it, we will have "Those who have reached the age of 21 are NOT able to consume alcohol more responsibly than those who are 18". This statement will hurt the argument conclusion. So this is CORRECT.

(B) When European teenagers consume alcohol, they do so in public, controlled environments.
--> The first argument does not mention about European teenagers. So this is out of scope

(C) Teens who are 15 to 17 years old are more impressionable than those who are aged 18 or older.
--> We have nothing to do when comparing the impressionability. This is irrelevant.

(D) The impressionability of one’s actions on others should not be a consideration when deciding the legal age to consume alcohol.
--> Again irrelevant with impressionability.

(E) Consuming alcohol in private, uncontrolled environments is not more dangerous than consuming alcohol in more public environments, such as bars or restaurants.
--> Irrelevant to compare the danger of drinking in private place to public place.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts