Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 17:16 It is currently 01 May 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1008 [282]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35507 [108]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [57]
Send PM
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Is this really from MGMAT as tagged? No choice is correct.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits--- Faulty comparison of antioxidants with any other fruit.

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available--- 'them' has no reference; if 'them' is referring to the antioxidants, then it is absurd.

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits-- No referent for which; it is the boosting that makes the fruit worthwhile.

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available-- 1. It cannot refer to the possessive acai berry's 2. We require 'do' after 'than', as 'boost' is the verbal action that is under comparison.

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost[/color] immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits--- No referent for 'they'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [3]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berr [#permalink]
Kudos
D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is //one of the healthiest fruits// that ((is)) widely available - how is the usage of singular verb correct for this structure. Only because of this part I eliminated D and went for E.

The correct usage always should be - it is one of the healthiest fruits that are widely available.

For eg. He is one those people who //like// to stay out at night. - correct

He is one those people who ((likes)) to stay out at night. - incorrect.

Please Daagh provide the clarification.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
There is a similar question in OG 17 where a subject pronoun can refer to possessive noun.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she-was-considered-among-her-contemporaries-to-be-the-better-208881.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Is this really from MGMAT as tagged? No choice is correct.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits--- Faulty comparison of antioxidants with any other fruit.

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available--- 'them' has no reference; if 'them' is referring to the antioxidants, then it is absurd.

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits-- No referent for which; it is the boosting that makes the fruit worthwhile.

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available-- 1. It cannot refer to the possessive acai berry's 2. We require 'do' after 'than', as 'boost' is the verbal action that is under comparison.

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost[/color] immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits--- No referent for 'they'.

Hi daagh sir,
Why in Option A we cant assume "antioxidants found in" to be present in the second half of the comparison - concept of ellipsis .
and in that case IMO comparison would be proper.

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tamal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
IMO C is the correct answer

A- Compares antioxidants in acai berry to other fruits. Hence wrong
B - Same as A
C- Correct, though wordy
D- Makes an absolute statement that açai is indeed one of the healthiest fruits without referring to the reliance on recent studies in coming to this conclusion (mentioned in the original question)
E- Same as D

What is the OA?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35507 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Max.MayankG wrote:

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits

nehalmashtom wrote:

B - Same as A
C- Correct, though wordy
D- Makes an absolute statement that açai is indeed one of the healthiest fruits without referring to the reliance on recent studies in coming to this conclusion (mentioned in the original question)
E- Same as D

What is the OA?

Attachment:
wheretofindtheOA.PNG

nehalmashtom , you can find the OA in the original post. Peek under the spoiler.

The answer is D.

I am not sure why you think D must refer to "recent studies."

1) If nearly an entire sentence is underlined, the options often will present different ways to express everything in the underlined portion.
In this case, the two formulations form a 3-2 split

2) Perhaps you believe that the first sentence, Option A, sets the tone or must be replicated in some nearly identical fashion?
No. There is no such rule.

Answer C is not correct. It has at least two problems. One, its use of "comma which" is incorrect. Two, the causality is nonsensical at worst, iffy at best.

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Comma WHICH
With very few exceptions, COMMA + WHICH must refer to a noun, pronoun, or a noun phrase ("houses for sale").
In (C), the "which" incorrectly refers to the entire preceding clause, i.e., "Recent studies have shown . . ."

To correct (C), we would need to paraphrase that whole first independent clause into a noun or pronoun and substitute "that" for "which."

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, [a discovery that] makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Causality
The corrected version of the sentence does not alter the causality problems in the original.

The Results of recent studies . . . do not MAKE the acai berry one of the healthiest fruits . . .
Study results do not make the fruit superior to other fruits. Analysis, information, and conclusions do not cause fruit to be healthy.

The antioxidants IN the fruit itself make the fruit superior to other fruits -- make it one of the healthiest available.
Those antioxidants are more effective at boosting immune cell function than antioxidants in almost all other fruits.
The special characteristics of X make X distinguishable from other . . .

Logically better:
Because X has special characteristics that are beneficial to a greater degree than those in other fruits, X is superior to other fruits.
Because X, Y

Now we are down to D and E.
Option E has pronoun/noun disagreement. "They are" should be "it is." The pronoun refers to a berry, not to berries.

Hope that helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1018 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
Max.MayankG wrote:

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits

nehalmashtom wrote:

B - Same as A
C- Correct, though wordy
E- Same as D

What is the OA?

Attachment:
wheretofindtheOA.PNG

nehalmashtom , you can find the OA in the original post. Peek under the spoiler.

The answer is D.

I am not sure why you think D must refer to "recent studies."

1) If nearly an entire sentence is underlined, the options often will present different ways to express everything in the underlined portion.
In this case, the two formulations form a 3-2 split

2) Perhaps you believe that the first sentence, Option A, sets the tone or must be replicated in some nearly identical fashion?
No. There is no such rule.

Answer C is not correct. It has at least two problems. One, its use of "comma which" is incorrect. Two, the causality is nonsensical at worst, iffy at best.

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Comma WHICH
With very few exceptions, COMMA + WHICH must refer to a noun, pronoun, or, occasionally, a noun phrase ("houses for sale").
In (C), the "which" incorrectly refers to the preceding entire clause, i.e., "Recent studies have shown . . ."

To correct (C), we would need to paraphrase that whole first independent clause into a noun or pronoun and substitute "that" for "which."

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, [a discovery that] makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Causality
The corrected version of the sentence does not alter the causality problems in the original.

The Results of recent studies . . . do not MAKE the acai berry one of the healthiest fruits . . .
Study results do not make the fruit superior to other fruits.

The antioxidants in the fruit itself make the fruit superior to other fruits -- make it one of the healthiest available.
Those antioxidants are more effective at boosting immune cell function than antioxidants in almost all other fruits.
The special characteristics of X make X distinguishable from other . . .

Logically better:
Because X has special characteristics that are beneficial to a greater degree than those in other fruits, X is superior to other fruits.
Because X, Y

Now we are down to D and E.
Option E has pronoun/noun disagreement. "They are" should be "it is." The pronoun refers to a berry, not to berries.

Hope that helps.

hi generis, though D is correct answer do you feel the way the sentence is structured is okay ? i mean the style :-)

Normally when i hear "because" in conversations ... i expect and I hear something before because .... "because' mostly is proceeded by some words e.g. "i dont like pizza with mushrooms because i dont like mushrooms" :)
i think in spoken language i emphasize more on the inner meaning of my thoughts rather than grammatical aspects :)

Because :hurt: the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
This is a kind of unusual question from the stable of MGMAT.
The original text says that recent studies have shown something about the acai berry. Choices B and C also carry that fact. However, in D and E, the recent study part has been dropped altogether and it looks as if MGMAT has hijacked the thesis from the studies and presented as its own.

Can we drop a part of the original proposition thus in a GMAT question?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35507 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
hi generis, though D is correct answer do you feel the way the sentence is structured is okay ? i mean the style :-)

Normally when i hear "because" in conversations ... i expect and I hear something before because .... "because' mostly is proceeded by some words e.g. "i dont like pizza with mushrooms because i dont like mushrooms" :)
i think in spoken language i emphasize more on the inner meaning of my thoughts rather than grammatical aspects :)

Because :hurt: the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

dave13 , you ask a good question.

I imagine that "because" at the beginning of a sentence sounds odd because that construction is fairly rare in spoken and informally written English.
In language, familiarity does not breed contempt. In language, familiarity breeds comfort.

You have a good ear. "Because" may sound a little odd at first, but its use is effective:

Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes,"' They will say, "Women don't have what it takes."
-- Claire Booth Luce

Finally, how we understand causality in any language ranks near the top in "important areas to master."

• How AND, BUT, and OR -- and BECAUSE -- got banished for no reason

Very often native English speakers (and perhaps non-native speakers) encounter at least one teacher who announces that sentences must never begin with conjunctions.

The "rule" pertains to the coordinating conjunctions AND, BUT, and OR.

No such rule exists, although its contents still circulate.
The Chicago Manual of Style calls this rule a "myth."

Good writers have always ignored the non-rule.

Despite the fact that "because" is a subordinating and not a coordinating conjunction, "because" was also banished to the Land of Words that Should Never Begin a Sentence.
Yep. We were taught not to begin sentences with "because."
That prohibition also still circulates.

There is no such rule about "because," either.
There is not even a "stylistic preference" for the placement of because.

GMAT?
A quick and informal survey indicates that GMAC includes at least one question that starts with because in its OGs and Verbal Reviews.
• Verbal Review 2018, SC 229 (collagen fibers);
• 2012 OG (13th edition): SC 33 (oversupply of computer chips) and SC 115 (maritime provisions)
• 2016 OG: SC 67 (oversupply of computer chips) and SC 115 (maritime provisions)
• 2018 OG SC 779 (maritime provisions)

In answer to your question: I think it is well-constructed to test the concept. :)
Try rewriting the sentence without that structure. See whether you can construct a sentence as efficient as that one with all those words.

One takeaway: If you see "because" begin a sentence, be prepared to assess whether there is a subordinate clause (because ABC) and a main clause (X happened or Y is true).

Another takeaway: Some sentences are richer with "because" at the beginning. This is one of those sentences ("think" it in English, a suggestion that sounds absurd, but I believe you will understand):

Because we have little use for history, and because we refuse the comforts of a society established on the blueprint of class privilege, we find ourselves set adrift at birth in an existential void, inheriting nothing except the obligation to construct a plausible self . . .
-- Lewis H. Lapham, Who and What is an American?

"Because" at the beginning makes the last phrase strike with eerily beautiful force: "inheriting nothing except the obligation to construct a plausible self."

Final takeaway: the unfamiliarity of the construction caught many people asleep on the issue of meaning, particularly with respect to the issue of absurd causality in A, B, and C. Heads up, everyone. :-)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35507 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
This is a kind of unusual question from the stable of MGMAT.
The original text says that recent studies have shown something about the acai berry. Choices B and C also carry that fact. However, in D and E, the recent study part has been dropped altogether and it looks as if MGMAT has hijacked the thesis from the studies and presented as its own.

Can we drop a part of the original proposition thus in a GMAT question?

daagh , I think you are asking whether the sentence must follow whatever meaning is conveyed by option A (because option A replicates the sentence in the original prompt).

If that is the question: no, we do not have to follow the meaning in the original prompt. We can "drop a part of the original proposition," even though MGMAT looks as if it "hijacked the thesis from the studies," as you wrote with typical dry wit.

The belief that option A sets the pace is an urban legend with a worldwide trail.
I knew that the alleged rule was false, but I am not sure how I knew; the fact had never been formally confirmed.

In another thread, the legendary MartyMurray rightly scorched the reasoning in the official-ish answer to a question not published by GMAC.

In that question, the person writing the OA asserted that option C -- grammatically just as good as or better than Option A -- should be eliminated because its meaning was different from that of option A.
Quote:
Notice how answer option C changes the meaning of the original sentence. 'Likely' is not the same as 'most likely'. So, you can eliminate C.

The highlighted portion of the above official explanation for this question is based on a myth. The myth is that the meaning conveyed by the sentence created via the use of the correct answer to a GMAT Sentence Correction question has to match the meaning conveyed by the original sentence, i.e., the version created via the use of choice A.

There is no such rule.

So, yes, we can drop as much of a prompt as is warranted.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [3]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Max.MayankG wrote:

Official Solution (Credit: Manhattan Prep)

(1) Take a First Glance (5 seconds)

The underline is fairly long, so expect some answers to change up the Sentence Structure. Recent studies and Because the acai berry are both are valid ways to begin a sentence; because indicates a causal relationship, so Meaning may come into play

(2) Read for Meaning

The sentence is trying to make a comparison: the antioxidants in the acai berry boost immune cell function more than the antioxidants in any other fruit boost immune cell function. In fact, though, the sentence says that the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more than any other fruit. Antioxidants should be compared to other antioxidants rather than to fruit.

(3) Find a Starting Point

Start with any difference that seems easiest to you, then move to the next easiest issue, and so on. Stop when you have one answer or you aren’t sure how to address the remaining differences. All errors for each choice are detailed in the next section.

(4) Eliminate (and Repeat)

(A) This answer compares antioxidants to fruit; the correct comparison is antioxidants to other antioxidants.

(B) This answer compares antioxidants to fruit; the correct comparison is antioxidants to other anti-oxidants. Further, the plural pronoun them incorrectly refers back to the singular noun the acai berry.

(C) This answer correctly compares antioxidants to antioxidants (the pronoun those stands in for antioxidants, here), but it introduces an incorrect modifier. Comma-which is a noun modifier, and it must modify the preceding main noun. In this answer, the which modifier would have to refer to other fruit or those (the antioxidants in the other fruit), neither of which is the reason that the acai berry is one of the healthiest fruits.

(D) CORRECT. This answer correctly compares antioxidants to antioxidants (the pronoun those stands in for antioxidants, here), and it properly uses the singular pronoun it to refer to the singular noun the acai berry. While one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available is less concise than one of the healthiest widely available fruits, either construction is acceptable (avoid eliminating answers based on concision).

(E) This answer correctly compares antioxidants to antioxidants, but it incorrectly uses the plural pronoun they to refer to the singular noun the acai berry.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7780 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos