GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 08:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 14:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (00:34) correct 65% (01:00) wrong based on 242 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GST Week 4 Day 4 Economist GMAT Tutor Question 4

Give your best shot at writing a top notch application and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and GMAT Basic Prep Plan by The Economist GMAT Tutor. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland is one of the places that are most likely to benefit from global warming.

A. are most likely to benefit from

B. is most likely to benefit from

C. are likely to benefit from

D. is likely to benefit from

E. are most likely to benefit

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 19:38
As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland is one of the places that are most likely to benefit from global warming.

places that are most likely to benefit from . PLACES is plural. Verb - are should be used. Eliminate B & D.

E doesn't make sense when we are trying to say places that are most likely to benefit global warming. This alters the meaning. Eliminate E.

A & C have only one change. "most" is missing in C.

Not sure what is the best way to eliminate C.

I don'e see any issue with A. I will go with A.

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 19:46
Concept Tested : SV 3/2 Splits are/is

that refers to places hence are is correct, Eliminate B & C

In E there is no from, which changes the meaning.

In C likely is definite, but actually, we need probability

Hence A

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 19:58
Correct Answer - A

Rules with "one of "-
1. ONE OF THE "NOUN"(WILL ALWAYS BE PLURAL) + THAT/WHO+PLURAL VERB.
2. ONE OF THE "NOUN"(WILL ALWAYS BE PLURAL) + SINGULAR VERB
Exception 1-A (COLLECTIVE NOUN) of Noun(plural) that/who-->ALWAYS SINGULAR
Exception 2-i) THE only one of....that/who-->Always singular
ii) Only one of ........that/who-->Always plural

one of the places(Plural) + that/who + plural verb(are)

In option C, most is missing.

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 20:02
Quote:

This question presents with a few concrete decision points:

1) are vs is
2) benefit vs benefit from
3) likely vs most likely

The most obvious place to start is the difference between "is" and "are". The whole clause after "that" modifies the noun "places", which stands in plural form.
So we go with "are". Good bye options B and C.

The option E is also quite easy to detect as a wrong one. Definitely, there are contries who are going to benefit from the global warming, not vice versa. E is out.

Now we left with the two options -A vs C- with a subtle difference likely vs most likely. This is the case when logic is your best friend.
If we go with an option "most likely", that means that we suppose that some contries will benefit from the global warming more than the other contries will.
What helps us to understand that it is not the initial meaning of the sentence is the modifier, "As surprising as it may seem", in the beginning of the sentence. We are not surprised that the Iceland will benefit from the global warming MORE than other contries, since we have no clue which country is going to benefit from the global warming at whole. But rather we could be surprised that Iceland will benefit instead of suffer from the global warming, since Iceland is an island, surrrounded by the ocean, and even small rise of the sea level can bring a damage to this country. So, to implement this meaning, "likely" works just fine, and we can safely eliminate option A.

Answer C.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 21:39
souvik101990 wrote:

Give your best shot at writing a top notch application and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and GMAT Basic Prep Plan by The Economist GMAT Tutor. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

This question is a gem in that it clearly lays emphasis on logic than on Grammar.
There is a clear split in the answer options: A,C & E start with 'are' and 'B' and 'D' start with 'is', as it should be abundantly clear that 'that' refers to plural 'places' and hence requires 'are' instead of an 'is'. This knocks off options 'B' and 'D'.
Now we are left with A, C and E, 'E' is clearly out as it conveys nonsensical meaning. As per 'E' 'Global warming' will benefit from many places and of those many places 'Iceland' will most likely benefit global warming. 'E' goes out.
Now the game begins, the real challenge is picking the right answer between A and C. Lets look at A first,
the contrast that the author intends to present here is that global warming as is known to the world is associated with devastation but to the author's surprise there are a few countries in the world, Iceland being one of those' that will benefit from global warming. So the contrast here is not the fact that Iceland will most likely benefit from global warming but the fact that global warming which is usually thought of as nuisance for the entire world will benefit some places.
This subtle meaning change knocks 'A' off, making 'C' the correct answer
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 21:45
OA : A

A. are most likely to benefit from : Contender
that refers to places and places are plural so usage of "are" is correct

B. is most likely to benefit from : Eliminate
usage of "is" is wrong .

C. are likely to benefit from : Contender
Same as option A, difference is absence of "most" which will be discussed later.

D. is likely to benefit from : Eliminate
Same as option B i.e usage of "is"

E. are most likely to benefit : Eliminate
It is changing the meaning of sentence. it is implying that that Iceland is one of places that will most likely to aid/help global
warming.

Now between A and C,
As Sentence begins with As surprising as it may seem, it means that Global warming majorly will have negative effect.
In remaining cases , Global warming can lead to
[1] No effect (+ve of global warming=-ve of Global warming)
[2] Positive effect (+ve of global warming>-ve of Global warming)
As we do not know for sure what will happens in future, We can predict the most likely event( or high probability event).
Meaning of original sentence is that Iceland is most likely(high probability) to be in [2] category,so most is required in the correct answer.
for that reason OA : A

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 22:27
by considering meaning, Iceland is going to be one of the places that will benefit the most from global warming. Okay.
I dont see any issue with given underline.

One of many places + that + plural - fine as given
'Benefit from' phrase is used well

A. are most likely to benefit from : By above-mentioned reasons, let's keep A.

B. is most likely to benefit from : 'Is'(?) No. it could have been right if we would have one of many places is Iceland
but because 'that' is modifying places, we need to use a plural.

C. are likely to benefit from : Only the difference of 'Most'. Correct SV. Let's keep C.

D. is likely to benefit from : Same reasoning as C plus SV error. Out.

E. are most likely to benefit : Most like to benefit global warming (?) no. It's not intended meaning.

A Vs C

IMO C is the answer, as there is no need for 'most' to convey the intended meaning, 'Most' is redundant here
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 22:51
main subject is Iceland, and we're referring to it...Iceland is singular therefore it will most likely benefit from global warming.

A. are-plural but we're referring to a singular noun-Iceland. if I try to understand it in a simpler sense, chicken meat is one of the foods that is mostly likely to aid in weight loss. chicken meat is one of the foods that are most likely to aid in weight loss is wrong because we're still referring to chicken meat which is singular. therefore eliminated.

C. are likely to benefit from - same issue as in A, eliminated.

D. is likely to benefit from - changes meaning, because we're comparing how much Iceland will benefit compared to other other places. eliminated

E.are most likely to benefit -same issue as in A, eliminated.

answer is B, it singular noun, singular verb.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 02:19
+1 for A.

According to below rule option A, C and E stand.Among A , C and E only A is correct as per the intended meaning.

Just as a note for one of the sentences follow the below rule:

1. One of the Xs that/who <plural>
2. One of the Xs <singular>
3. only One of the Xs <singular>
4. only One of the Xs that/who <plural>
5. "the" only One of the Xs that/who <singular>
note: Xs===>this is always plural.

+1 if this helps!

souvik101990 wrote:

Regards,
Adi

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19
GPA: 2.75

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 08:01
souvik101990 wrote:

Option A.
"Places" requires "are" not "is". This leaves us with A, C, and E.
E is wrong since a country can't benefit Global Warming. Its nonsensical.
As we are comparing the places that will be benefited, we have to use "most". This leaves us to option A, which is also the OA.

Please appreciate with a kudo if my post is helpful to you :)

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB, IIMC , XLRI
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 08:52
souvik101990 wrote:

Analysis :
1. S-V agrees in number : places (that).......are
2.The point to be noted here is that the author is presenting a future probabilistic event which is incontrary to the popular belief and surprising. This construction demands for a emphasis word such as 'Most' and the probabilistic one 'likely'.

Option A: Correct : As mentioned in the Analysis.

Option B: Incorrect : The singular verb....is ....does not match with the plural subject ( that ----- places)

Option C: Incorrect : The emphasis part is missing here as we are omitting 'most'

Option D: Incorrect : similar issue as in B.

Option E: Incorrect : This option completely distorts the meaning by saying : places will be benefiting global warming..... quite illogical

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 09:20
Quote:
main subject is Iceland, and we're referring to it...Iceland is singular therefore it will most likely benefit from global warming.

A. are-plural but we're referring to a singular noun-Iceland. if I try to understand it in a simpler sense, chicken meat is one of the foods that is mostly likely to aid in weight loss. chicken meat is one of the foods that are most likely to aid in weight loss is wrong because we're still referring to chicken meat which is singular. therefore eliminated.

C. are likely to benefit from - same issue as in A, eliminated.

D. is likely to benefit from - changes meaning, because we're comparing how much Iceland will benefit compared to other other places. eliminated

E.are most likely to benefit -same issue as in A, eliminated.

answer is B, it singular noun, singular verb.

my answer is wrong :D but I was certain that I was right. A big thank you to Souvik for posting this question and the others for answering, it made it realise that I am wrong :D I hope this will fetch me an extra point on the test. Kudos to gmatclub and a kudos to each one of you...is this grammatically right? :)

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 09:31
souvik101990 wrote:

that refers to placees, hence are is correct; which leaves us with A,C,E

to benefit global warming means -> global warming is getting benefited which changes the meaning of sentence. Hence E also eliminated.

Among, "are most" and "are" clearly are most looks more elaborative. Hence option A
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 09:35
I would choose C. I'm not sure about "most"

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 05:34
GMATNinja
please!!! help between A and c
Re: As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland   [#permalink] 19 May 2018, 05:34

As surprising as it may seem, in the medium-long term Iceland

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap