Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [13]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [2]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes [#permalink]
Kudos
OE

This is an explanation question. The passage describes the various benefits of jets--their fuel efficiency, comfort, and ability to fly higher and faster than smaller planes--but then notes that turboprop planes are enjoying a resurgence. We're looking for a choice that resolves the apparent paradox.

(A) This choice addresses one of the benefits of jet travel, but it doesn't suggest why turboprop planes have overtaken jets despite the other clear advantages.
(B) This is correct. While it acknowledges the benefits of jet travel, it relates their very popularity with an increasing price that makes other alternatives more attractive.
(C) This is a common form of incorrect choice. Just because the same phenomenon is observed elsewhere does not explain why it is occurring as described in the passage.
(D) This is off-topic. It doesn't matter who owns the planes. We're looking for a choice that explains why jets are losing popularity despite several benefits.
(E) This choice suggests one cost of travel by jet, but it doesn't suggest that turboprop planes escape the same fate, nor does it confirm that the increase in cost is enough to offset the benefits of jet operation and travel.

The sourse: is valuable, without doubt

https://www.gmatdaily.com/20091103-gmat- ... e-day.html
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes [#permalink]
Kudos
Marcab
I also think E cannot be the answer,
We do not know for sure which kind of fuel does the Turboprop uses.......If it uses the same jet fuel, than for sure its not an advantage...
we need to use some evidence that we know for sure from the passage......Availability of jet fuel is not at all in question......If it would have been, In first place it would have not been considered for replacement to the older planes.
No company will replace their existing product with another , If it costs more than the previous. Same logic is used to substantiate B.
Difference between B and E is
B presents the reason that explains price factor only after the jet planes have become popular i.e earlier their costs were lower .Its only after jet plane becoming popular the price has gone high.

On the other hand, E Considers something if that existed it should not have been considered to replace.

Hope that helps!!!!!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 for A. Because, it seems to bring in all premises.

Stated:
Since 1950's Jets have become quieter, more comfortable, faster and fly higher. FE as much as 70% (Probably stated to say it takes a LOT to negate this benefit).
Travel @ cruising altitude is especially efficient.

What if the improvements since 1950's were fine but, not actually applicable in Kawai islands case because, the trips are shorter (so passengers don't care about comfortable). Trips are shorter, so, they hardly even fly at cruising speed.

Alternatively, What if Jets can take more passengers (50-100) and turbo planes take 10-15 passengers, so, there is not more than 10 passengers per flight, so, the companies feel it is rather economic to deploy turbo planes instead of using jets almost empty. [ Nonetheless, I did not see any answers related to this]

(A) Because trips within Kawaii are relatively short, planes spend little time at cruising altitude.

This answer seems to state the same point

(B) As jets have become more popular, their increased price has erased the financial advantages of their fuel efficiency. => We've not been told of any supply/demand equation or how much is more popular and increased price? are they huge enough to negate 70% fuel efficiency. It is stretching.

(C) Turboprop planes have also enjoyed resurgence in other island nations, especially those with extreme climates.
Out of scope
(D) Many of the independent airlines that once served Kawaii have been purchased by larger multinational airlines.
No way related to the topic
(E) Due to Kawaii's remote location, jet fuel is more expensive there than in most other parts of the world.
That would have been the case always. Kawai would have not gone far away in decades. Also, we've been told 70% fuel efficiency is achieved, so, this actually doesn't resolve the paradox.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Perhaps my brain is nor working, but I would like to know how B helps in the resurgence of the other species.
If two genres become equal, does it means that we prefer one over the other?
Moreover what is wrong with E. IMO it seems fine.
What is the OA?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
OE

This is an explanation question. The passage describes the various benefits of jets--their fuel efficiency, comfort, and ability to fly higher and faster than smaller planes--but then notes that turboprop planes are enjoying a resurgence. We're looking for a choice that resolves the apparent paradox.

(A) This choice addresses one of the benefits of jet travel, but it doesn't suggest why turboprop planes have overtaken jets despite the other clear advantages.
(B) This is correct. While it acknowledges the benefits of jet travel, it relates their very popularity with an increasing price that makes other alternatives more attractive.
(C) This is a common form of incorrect choice. Just because the same phenomenon is observed elsewhere does not explain why it is occurring as described in the passage.
(D) This is off-topic. It doesn't matter who owns the planes. We're looking for a choice that explains why jets are losing popularity despite several benefits.
(E) This choice suggests one cost of travel by jet, but it doesn't suggest that turboprop planes escape the same fate, nor does it confirm that the increase in cost is enough to offset the benefits of jet operation and travel.

The sourse: is valuable, without doubt

https://www.gmatdaily.com/20091103-gmat- ... e-day.html

The reason to justify B is also valid for A aint it ?
A---> Other positives still remain
B----> Other positives still remain.

Hi Gladiator59 ... your 2 cents please.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts