Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6428 [146]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [57]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [14]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [5]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: Some dairy farmers in the province of Takandia want to give [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Really good question from the new OG. I notice how the questions itself (and based on what i am reading online) are more sophisticated than in the past

back to the question.

You may consider this question "complete the blank" as a strenghtening question in this case

The core of the question is this sentence

For this reason Takandia’s legislature is considering a measure requiring milk from cows given the hormone to be labeled as such.

A) if we have the method to trace the hormaone or not is not our concern

B) what will do the farmers in a foresable future is not what we are looking for

C) Wins. How we can (farmers) lose customers: only if the cows that produce good milk are labeled as ill cows, full of hormones

D) the number of people that do know about the ban or not is not the problem, actually

E) looks and tastes milk............is not related to our labeled milk if it is good or not.

Hope this helps

regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6428 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello,

I think analysis is wrong. See how:

Premise1: Farmers wanted to use synthetic hormones that are not favored by consumers

Premise2: Legislators want to favor consumers by clearly labeling the milk starting "milk contain synthetic hormones"

Conclusion: This measure even if defeated would have desired effect (from legislator perspective i.e. customers do not buy milk with synthetic hormone or dairy farmers will loose customers)???

So here the author states that if the measure (labeling appropriately) is UNSUCESSFUL then still it will have desired outcome (favor consumers from consuming milk containing synthetic hormones). What could be the possible reason for that:

Well if the milk "not containing the synthetic hormones" is labeled as such then consumers will be aware of milk containing the synthetic hormones because the later could not be labeled.

Hope it helps.

Regards
Vikas
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
ianstewart

Hi Ian,

glad to see you once again here on the board. I always like your cutting edge explanations. Moreover, I agree with you, my mistake in C explanation.

Actually, I thought the other way around, reading not very carefully

However, this demonstrates how is possible to pick the right one if you understand the gist of the question, indeed. That's because GMAC questions have consistency.

regards
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
Hi Ian,

glad to see you once again here on the board. I always like your cutting edge explanations.

Thanks carcass - good to see you too, and I hope everything's going well! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
Schools: Babson '20
Send PM
Kudos
What about answer choice D. If the legislation has been widely publicized, that means consumers will not purchase the milk labelled.
Also - what does it mean to say - if the measure is defeated? Does it mean the bill was NOT implemented of it was implemented but it failed.

If the later is true, then D can be correct because if everyone knows the hormone milk will be labelled, they won't consume it and thus farmers will lose customers

WillGetIt wrote:
Hello,

I think analysis is wrong. See how:

Premise1: Farmers wanted to use synthetic hormones that are not favored by consumers

Premise2: Legislators want to favor consumers by clearly labeling the milk starting "milk contain synthetic hormones"

Conclusion: This measure even if defeated would have desired effect (from legislator perspective i.e. customers do not buy milk with synthetic hormone or dairy farmers will loose customers)???

So here the author states that if the measure (labeling appropriately) is UNSUCESSFUL then still it will have desired outcome (favor consumers from consuming milk containing synthetic hormones). What could be the possible reason for that:

Well if the milk "not containing the synthetic hormones" is labeled as such then consumers will be aware of milk containing the synthetic hormones because the later could not be labeled.

Hope it helps.

Regards
Vikas
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [6]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
cuhmoon, if the legislation is defeated, that means it does not receive enough votes to be enacted. In that case, none of the milk would be labeled, and consumers would have no way to identify which milk to avoid, regardless of how much attention the legislation itself might have received. To conclude otherwise, we'd have to know that the specific brands of milk to be labeled were actually named in the legislation. However, there's no indication that this is the case.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [3]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
The implications of the prompt are that labeling the milk from cows given the hormone would cause the farmers who use the hormone to lose customers. To fill the blank we need to find something that will result in their losing customers even without the legislation.

A it has not been proven that any trace of the synthetic hormone exists in the milk of cows given the hormone

This does not give customers reason or a way to avoid milk from cows given the hormone.

B some farmers in Takandia who plan to use the synthetic hormone will probably not do so if the measure were passed

This says what will happen if the legislation is passed rather than what will happen if it is not.

C milk from cows that have not been given the synthetic hormone can be labeled as such without any legislative action

Ah, so even if the milk from cows given the hormone is not labeled as such, the milk from cows not given the hormone can still be labeled as such, creating a way for customers to differentiate between the two and avoid the milk from the cows given the hormone. So the farmers using the hormone would still lose customers.

D. the legislature’s consideration of the bill has been widely publicized

This is interesting, because the publicity likely increases customer awareness of the use of the hormone, but this does not show how customers would be able to differentiate between the two types of milk.

E milk that comes from cows given the synthetic hormone looks and tastes the same as milk from cows that have not received the hormone

What this is saying is that without labeling customers would have difficulty knowing which milk is which. So this does not show how or why they would avoid the milk from cows given the hormone.

Since it shows how customers could differentiate between the two types of milk even if the legislation were not to get passed, the best answer is C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I have a question>>
are we assuming that the hormone full farmers cannot mislabel their product? As there is no legislation on labelling for any of the two types , it is possible for the farmers to mislabel easily. PLz explain

DmitryFarber chetan2u egmat TommyWallach GMATNinja
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31951 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
I have a question>>
are we assuming that the hormone full farmers cannot mislabel their product? As there is no legislation on labelling for any of the two types , it is possible for the farmers to mislabel easily. PLz explain

DmitryFarber chetan2u egmat TommyWallach GMATNinja

We have to limit ourselves to the para at hand. It nowhere claims that there could be cheating.
When it says that legislation, requiring them to mark hormone milk as such, would result in loss of revenues of these dairy farmers, the para believes that these farmers would mark their milk as hormone milk, SO para does not assume that these farmers will be unfair and not mark their product.
we too can believe in similar line as we have to go as per the info of para.

Yes, in real life scenario, you can doubt even the legislation making any impact because of the rampant malpractices.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Official answer:-

Argument Construction

Situation
Some dairy farmers in a province want to give their dairy cows a synthetic hormone, but many people in the province do not want to buy milk that is from cows given the hormone. The provincial legislature is considering a measure requiring milk from cows given the hormone to be labeled as such.

Reasoning What would be a reason to believe that dairy farmers who use the hormone will lose customers even if the measure is defeated? If the measure passes, the dairy farmers who give cows the hormone may lose the many customers who do not want to buy such milk. If the measure is defeated, then milk produced with the hormone will not have to be labeled.so what would lead one to believe that hormone-using farmers would nevertheless lose customers? A statement that provides an answer to this question would logically complete the argument.

Option C is Correct: If the measure is defeated, the milk produced by farmers who avoid using the hormone would likely gain a market advantage if the milk was labeled as produced without use of the hormone. As a result, dairy farmers who use the hormone would probably lose customers.

Why others are incorrect:

Option A is incorrect: At best, this lack of proof might mitigate hormone-using farmers' loss of customers, whatever the outcome of the legislature's consideration of the measure.

Option B is incorrect: The argument's conclusion is mainly about what will happen if the measure is defeated, not what will happen if it passes.

Option D is incorrect:
Publicity could affect consumers' attitudes about hormone-produced milk, but if the measure is defeated and labeling practices do not change, customers would have no way of knowing which milk was produced by use of the hormone.

Option E is incorrect: This suggests that, in the absence of labeling, consumers would be unable to decide which milk was produced by use of the hormone, so dairy farmers who used the hormone would be unlikely to lose customers if the labeling measure is defeated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

While I understand why option C is the correct answer I'm not able to eliminate option E because people know farmers use hormones, this fact may still create doubt, even if the measure is defeated, in the mind of people. Since, people can not distinguish between the two types of milk, they may not buy milk. Hence, there will be a drop in the sales for farmers who use hormones.

Please let me know if I'm overthinking?

thanks !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos