Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 12:25 It is currently 09 May 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Re: Sometimes Quant can't get you there [750 Q43, V51] [#permalink]
krishp84 wrote:
Hi ebonn101 -
please elaborate on your base foundation for Verbal score -
How you improved your SC accuracy combined with speed ?
This will help us all.

RC -
Were you never feeling sleepy or weared out when reading some boring RCs ?
If so, how did you handle it ?
If not, what you would you have possibly done if faced with this situation ?

CR -
Any general inputs for improving the speed and accuracy in CR apart from diagramming ?
If diagramming, how best to diagram to ensure the least effort and maximum results ?

Your verbal score puts you in an enviable position to share some of these inputs with all of us.

bb-We can have Verbal Legends added along with GMATClub legends :D

ebonn101 wrote:
Regarding SC - Make sure you're using the correct source material to study. I only did a few 1000 SC, mostly ones I randomly saw on this forum while I was taking a break at work. Focused on MGMAT SC and all of OG 12 plus Verbal Review 2nd Ed. Also all of GMAT prep's practice. Avoid excessively relying on other sources, such as Kaplan or Princeton Review. On more than one occasion I actually found incorrect OAs in both of their material. I think because Kaplan and Princeton Review don't have the same high standards as MGMAT (they tend to be more about quantity than quality, in my opinion), this is reflected in their source material. It isnt ALL bad, but it's less realistic compared to the real GMAT verbal.
Quality matters more than quantity. SC is the best example for this because of low availability.
Let me dig a bit deeper into SC - My approach to SC
Understand the meaning - See if it makes sense logically - Check if it is Grammatically correct.
The first 2 steps can be done in parallel and we can CUT out unnecessary words to quickly comprehend the meaning. By Practice, we should be able to complete the 3 steps within 1 minute for any SC question. Can you criticize or put your comments on this process ? Any new comments are really welcome.
ebonn101 wrote:
Regarding RC - I never found myself getting bored or zoning out on the RC's but that did happen to me on practice tests sometimes. I found that for me, it tended to happen when I mentally got in a slump and knew I had answered a couple of questions incorrectly. However during the times when I was feeling on a roll, I somehow was more motivated to pay close attention during RC. During the real GMAT I felt like I was annihilating every question in verbal, so I just kept up the momentum. I think the best thing to do to remain focused is just give yourself enough time. Do this by keeping ahead on your SCs and finishing each in less than 1 min if possible. Then you know you're going to have enough time for RC and can slow down and comprehend the passage. That's really the key with RC, simply highlight the text and then carefully read the questions and ask yourself what specifically it wants you to answer.
Let me dig into RC.
I love diagramming the gist for each paragraph and connect the relations for the entire passage to get the real meaning. Answer some basic questions like - Main Idea, Author's view, Passage view, Tone
While answering the questions look to my diagram and the passage for cross-checking no errors.
Any comments on this ?
ebonn101 wrote:
***To emphasize the importance of my advice about RC, I will just tell you that there were 3-4 RC questions on my actual GMAT that I found myself having to spend 3+ minutes analyzing. Were I sticking to the 2 min per CR/RC, 90 sec per SC rule, this wouldn't have been possible and I'd have had to guess and move on. If you want a verbal score in the mid-40s or higher, you NEED to give yourself some buffer time, because the hardest questions will sometimes require additional time that you might not otherwise have.***
Strategy for the overall Verbal - Reduce the time spent on SC(1 minute sense) and use that time for RC followed by CR.
ebonn101 wrote:
Regarding CR - Best advice I can give you is just practice. Get comfortable with reading quickly while writing simultaneously. This by nature will increase your "comprehension" skill and allow you to subconsciously grasp what the passage is implying and what it is not, giving you the ability to almost immediately eliminate questions that are "beyond the scope" or obviously irrelevant. After that, you're usually left with 2-3 possible answers and then its just a matter of consulting your diagram and maybe going back and re-reading the question.
CR - Approach wise diagramming is what appears better for me.
Yes- Applying your approach, Practice to get comfortable with reading quickly while writing simultaneously. (Note - This will help me in RC also:)) After that eliminating the out of scope or Irrelevant questions, consult my diagram to narrow down to the correct choice.
Once again practice will increase the speed and accuracy.
Question - Do you recommend any time limit on every CR question similar to SC questions?
ebonn101 wrote:
Hope this helped you out guys! I'm always willing to help and you can PM me or continue to use this thread to ask further questions or advice. I'm sure JoelCairo would be willing to pitch in as well. And I think I've seen one other V51 lurking around on this forum somewhere, so his/her advice is appreciated as well.
Yes - there are many folks apart from you and Joel who scored perfect scores in Verbal.
790-q50-v51-23000.html
https://www.urch.com/forums/just-finishe ... v51-4.html (Same person)
770-q48-v51-thanks-gmatclub-83370.html

But you stand out because you are willing to put the thought process. I understand this is a very laborious task because it is so difficult for me to put my Quantitative knowledge in words. HATS OFF !!!

Let me say in one word - THANK YOU for taking out time and posting your thoughts.
Kudos +1 - Another form of Thank You.
Dropped in a PM as well.
Unfortunately, GC allows me to say thank you directly only in these three ways :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Send PM
ebonn101,
Congrats on a great score and for an awesome score in verbal. Thanks a lot for putting down your thoughts..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Amazing verbal score!! congrats :)
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM