Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 28 May 2017, 16:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The article explained that there is evidence that the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Impossible is just an opinion
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 53
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 04:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:09) correct 64% (01:20) wrong based on 359 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity survive only an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Impossible is just an opinion
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 53
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 04:54
lucbesson wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average


Hi all!
Can anybody please explain why the answer is B not D?

In my oppinion, D perfectly suits because a) after "that" it is perfectly ok to start a new clause" b) both verbs in that clause are in the proper tense.
THX!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3857
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 822

Kudos [?]: 6337 [0], given: 324

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 05:42
I do not go with the OA. The element of suffering is an essential feature of the text. Just living for12 years on average may be even a natural thing. It is the suffering that lends credibility to the short life. IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 160
Location: Poland
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 67

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 07:53
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice


A is out because of the "an average".

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t
Therefore D can't be eliminated on this ground.

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3857
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 822

Kudos [?]: 6337 [0], given: 324

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 08:54
I reckon 'a average' is a typo; No GMAT question will be so blatantly poor as to forget the difference between a and an, of course, unless there is some other reason to oppose the use of an average.
An evidence may be synonymous with a proof, bBut unfortunately, the text does not have 'an evidence' but just 'evidence'. So ‘a proof' becomes incongruous. In addition the text does not describe evidence or proof as ample, enough or great etc,.

But above all, change of meaning is critical to the modern- day GMAT, and this is a lesson in proof
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 114
Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 09:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Another issue with A, B and D is positioning of "only". The intended meaning is "living an average of only 12 years". "only live an average" distorts the meaning.

C uses the definite article "the" for average making it awkward.

And E was eliminated for changing the words, using "a captivity"

Which left me with no option. So I rechecked and chose D which was less worse than others!

P.S: Wouldn't the phrase "explained that" warrants the sentence be in reported tense?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 160
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 69

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 20:03
HumptyDumpty wrote:
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice


A is out because of the "an average".

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t
Therefore D can't be eliminated on this ground.

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.


HumptyDumpty, If Option A has an average, then which would you choose between A & B options like below:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only an average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average

Option (B) says, dolphins ONLY those live in captivity survive for around 12 years; whereas option A says all dolphins suffer in captivity and live 12 years only.

Also Are ample proof and evidence same?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 160
Location: Poland
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 67

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 23:21
umeshpatil wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:
daagh wrote:
IMO, B and C are not fidel tothe original . Among D and E, we can simply drop E for its over- emphasis on great deal of evidence. Between A and D, D is suspect because of saying– a proof-. A will be my choice


A is out because of the "an average".

Isn't "a proof" synonymous with "an evidence"? According to the Dictionary.com, it is 1. evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proof?s=t
Therefore D can't be eliminated on this ground.

B is the best AC as to grammar, but the "ample" changes the meaning of the original sentence. I thought it too influential and picked AC D, which is wordier, but keeps the original meaning and is still correct gramatically.


HumptyDumpty, If Option A has an average, then which would you choose between A & B options like below:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only an average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average

Option (B) says, dolphins ONLY those live in captivity survive for around 12 years; whereas option A says all dolphins suffer in captivity and live 12 years only.

Also Are ample proof and evidence same?



Putting aside all the disputable here, I just keep in mind that we are to choose the best possible answer, not the best best. Sometimes on the GMAT you have to choose the lesser evil. Typo or not, you work on what you get - I'd rather not be pondering if some error is a typo, I'd rather go for the lesser evil.
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 463
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 259 [1] , given: 59

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 10:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
I eliminated D on grounds of being wordy.
Choice B - explicitly does not mention "suffer" which is catchy....but I think the intended meaning is explained well by "....living in captivity"

Could not find any other way to pick between B and D
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 150
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 36

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 14:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
lucbesson wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average



My 2 cents why I thought D was wrong

"In captivity" with commas is a non essential modifier. The meaning of the sentence is "all dolphins suffer and live only an average of 12 years". Its not all dolphins that suffer but only those dolphins that are in captivity.
_________________

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 1403 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 02:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
lucbesson wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average


hi,

meaning of sentence:
article explained that
dolphins that are in captivity suffer====>result of this is ====>average life of 12 years.....

now coming to the options:

a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average(CORRECT.==>ONLY is correctly used, EVIDENCE THAT is a correct idiom,AND SUFFER clearly shows the intended meaning.)

b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average(meaning is changed because of absence of word SUFFER...also use of only before survive is wrong....rather" "Only" should be placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits......only survive..is wrong intent.....

for more clarification check this example from OG 13:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications,
ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death,
surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.
(A) ranks as the nation's third leadingcause of
death, surpassed only
(B) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death,
only surpassed ,
(C) has the rank of the nation's third leadingcause
of death, only surpassed
(D) are the nation's third leading causes of death,
surpassed only
(E) have been ranked as the nation's third leading
causes of death, only surpassed

IN THE ABOVE QUESTION in the original sentence only correctly restricts heart disease and cancer ......and only surpassed is wrong.


c) study that the dolphins only live the average( Same error as in B)

d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average(Use of only is wrong and also "In captivity" with commas is a non essential modifier. The meaning of the sentence is "all dolphins suffer and live only an average of 12 years". Its not all dolphins that suffer but only those dolphins that are in captivity.

e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average[/quote]
this has 2 errors:
firstly its too wordy and awkward
secondly the use of " in a captivity" ..seems to say about a particular captivity rather than general.

hence the correct answer is A.....as it seems there is no error in tha except a typo....."A AVERAGE"

hope it helps

SKM
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10310
Followers: 1000

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 04:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Status: I am not giving up. Not yet.
Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 371

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 02:44
POE, left with A and B.
I feel 'Evidence' is better that 'ample proof'.
I don't find anything wrong with A. Why's A not the OA?
_________________

Cheers
PeeKay

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 446
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 1182 [0], given: 220

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 14:50
Top Contributor
PKay wrote:
POE, left with A and B.
I feel 'Evidence' is better that 'ample proof'.
I don't find anything wrong with A. Why's A not the OA?


Hello dear,

Me too did't find anything wrong with A


But here,Between A and B there is a clear shift in meaning

In answer choice A "living " modified entire preceding clause."Living"Introduced an action(living) that took place during the action(suffer) described in the main clause

On the other hand,in Answer Choice B,"living " modified dolphins (here the preceding noun "dolphins" is modified.)


Thanks
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3045
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 516

Kudos [?]: 2282 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 08:34
PKay wrote:
POE, left with A and B.
I feel 'Evidence' is better that 'ample proof'.
I don't find anything wrong with A. Why's A not the OA?


Two consecutive modifiers referring to the same antecedent and without a conjunction is considered awkward in GMAT. In option A " living only an average of 12 years" and "with some even committing suicide" do not have a conjunction between them, and both refer to "dolphins" ( or the entire clause "the dolphins suffer in captivity"). Hence option A is incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 318
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 19

Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 09:39
MDK wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average



I felt the placement of "only" little doubtful ...
It should be after survive ..
ample proof that dolphins living in captivity survive only an average
please help...
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 186
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 21:10
I eliminated (A) on the grounds that "living only an average of 12 years" is set off by ","'s, making it a non-essential modifier. Striking that out, the sentence does not make sense. Can experts correct me if my reasoning is correct to eliminate (A)?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 03:15
sayantanc2k wrote:
PKay wrote:
POE, left with A and B.
I feel 'Evidence' is better that 'ample proof'.
I don't find anything wrong with A. Why's A not the OA?


Two consecutive modifiers referring to the same antecedent and without a conjunction is considered awkward in GMAT. In option A " living only an average of 12 years" and "with some even committing suicide" do not have a conjunction between them, and both refer to "dolphins" ( or the entire clause "the dolphins suffer in captivity"). Hence option A is incorrect.


To get more clarity of the rule you mentioned above, please could you provide Official example/s?
I marked 'A' assuming Evidence is better than ample proof.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3045
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 516

Kudos [?]: 2282 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:22
sobby wrote:
MDK wrote:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.
a) evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average
b) ample proof that dolphins living in captivity only survive an average
c) study that the dolphins only live the average
d) a proof that, in captivity, dolphins suffer and only live an average
e) a great deal of the evidence that dolphins suffer in a captivity and live only an average



I felt the placement of "only" little doubtful ...
It should be after survive ..
ample proof that dolphins living in captivity survive only an average
please help...



Yes, your point is valid - "only" is misplaced in B. Option B is modified according to your suggestion. Thank you.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3045
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 516

Kudos [?]: 2282 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:26
manhasnoname wrote:
I eliminated (A) on the grounds that is set off by ","'s, making it a non-essential modifier. Striking that out, the sentence does not make sense. Can experts correct me if my reasoning is correct to eliminate (A)?


After removing the modifier "living only an average of 12 years", the sentence becomes:
The article explained that there is evidence that the dolphins suffer in captivity, living only a average of 12 years, with some even committing suicide.

The above does make sense, hence the reason yousoecifed is not suficient to eliminate A. Two consecutive modifiers referring to the same item and without conjunction is a more solid reason to eliminate A.
Re: The article explained that there is evidence that the   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2017, 09:26

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
50 Experts publish their posts in the topic 'Evidence of' versus 'evidence that' egmat 11 26 Nov 2016, 00:43
2 There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar rohitgoel15 8 13 Oct 2016, 07:38
1 There is ample evidence, derived from the lore of nightwing79 4 20 Aug 2015, 00:00
There is substantial evidence that certain forms of solar bsd_lover 8 15 Jul 2012, 13:10
65 Experts publish their posts in the topic Astronomers have uncovered evidence that a star that was as quiet888 26 19 Mar 2017, 20:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The article explained that there is evidence that the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.