Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [18]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [4]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: The best-known platonic depiction of tyranny appears in Republic [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shrey08 wrote:
Quote:
3. Suppose conclusive evidence emerged that, in order to shield his audience from confusion, Plato on occasion intentionally avoided revealing complex or seemingly contradictory conclusions in his dialogues. What relevance would this information have to the passage?

A. It would weaken Giovannini‘s claim that the platonic tyrant is a paradoxical figure.
B. It would verify the author‘s assertion that Republic provides a reasonable but only partial depiction of Plato‘s conception of the tyrannical character.
C. It would weaken the author‘s major criticism of Giovannini‘s research.
D. It would weaken the author‘s assessment of Giovannini‘s work as ingenious and provocative
E. It would have no impact on the claims made in the passage

I think the answer to question 3 is C because of what author says in Para 4

Quote:
If Plato intended the conception of tyranny that appears in Republic to be somehow bound up in a paradox with the conception of tyranny in Lysis, he would presumably have hinted as much. Absent such indications, the danger is heightened that Giovannini may have invented, rather than discovered, subtle interconnections in Plato‘s thought.

Now, if its true that Plato intentionally avoided revealing such contradictory conclusions in his dialogues, then it's not right to say that Glovannini "invented" these interconnection. Hence author's criticism is weakened.

AndrewN VeritasKarishma GMATNinja can you please validate whether my reasoning is correct ?

Yes, Shrey08, I think you have it, for just the reason you have outlined. (I wish I could add something meaningful in the way of analysis, but you have zeroed in on just the right part of the passage.) Well done on a tough question.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: The best-known platonic depiction of tyranny appears in Republic [#permalink]
Gladiator59 wrote:
Spent 5 mins and got all three wrong. :?

Gladiator59 did you encounter such diffculty level of RC passage on the real GMAT ? hope my post helps :) but i definately took more time to answe questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
dave13 wrote:

Gladiator59 did you encounter such diffculty level of RC passage on the real GMAT ? hope my post helps :) but i definately took more time to answe questions.

Not really but such a passage cannot be ruled out based on how good you are doing on the verbal section. You may end up seeing a super difficult passage towards the end if you have done brilliantly.

I will reattempt and go through your post, thank you. + 1 kudos to you for explanations.

Did you get all of them correct in the timed attempt? How much time did it take?
Best,
GLadi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I think Q3 is a poor question. The author clearly says "Absent such indications, the danger is heightened that Giovannini may have invented, rather than discovered, subtle interconnections in Plato‘s thought." This means that IF plato truly did intend to hide information, it would weaken the author's claim that Giovannini's theory is "invented" AKA original AKA ingenious...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Hi dave13, Gladiator59

I got the first question incorrect. In fact, I most of the time falter on such questions. In 4th paragraph, author is mentioning that Giovannini‘s account complicates something... is not beyond question.. he may have invented rather than discovered something... From this, I inferred that the author is mildly criticizing...

Could you please explain how else would an author put it forward in case he has to mildly criticize something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo SajjadAhmad u1983 GMATNinja workout Gnpth

Time taken 10 min 22 secs . 2/3 correct. I got the last one incorrect. I was not confident though in any questions while was attempting. Did this happen to you as well .

Now my question is although i took 6 min 54 secs to read this passage which was really way over my head, i have certain reservations for this kind of passage.

Firstly, when you encounter this kind of passage , you have a fair idea that this RC is going to be tough(Not for those whose reading is really good). Because when i was about to complete the first paragraph i had an idea that i am not getting anything out of RC(Meaning wise). But still i moved on to second para. Now i would like to ask those who are really good and could decipher this RC. What was your approach when you encountered this RC or you had a feeling that it is tough. I mean did you just go through or were you literally immersed or did you try to find the crux. I was not able to find crux mostly. I just had a little idea that they are talking about some kind of Tyrannical character put forward by few philosopher's theory.

Secondly , when you complete the passage did you have a feeling that you understood the passage and could answer most questions. Because when i completed , i was confused whether i had really understood the passage or not. I meant , what would be the intensity of the understanding that you would need for this kind of passages.

Thirdly, i know this sound cliche to ask. Any customized strategy for this kind of Passage. ? Would highly appreciate if some experts could shed some light.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
Quote:
3. Suppose conclusive evidence emerged that, in order to shield his audience from confusion, Plato on occasion intentionally avoided revealing complex or seemingly contradictory conclusions in his dialogues. What relevance would this information have to the passage?

A. It would weaken Giovannini‘s claim that the platonic tyrant is a paradoxical figure.
B. It would verify the author‘s assertion that Republic provides a reasonable but only partial depiction of Plato‘s conception of the tyrannical character.
C. It would weaken the author‘s major criticism of Giovannini‘s research.
D. It would weaken the author‘s assessment of Giovannini‘s work as ingenious and provocative
E. It would have no impact on the claims made in the passage

I think the answer to question 3 is C because of what author says in Para 4

Quote:
If Plato intended the conception of tyranny that appears in Republic to be somehow bound up in a paradox with the conception of tyranny in Lysis, he would presumably have hinted as much. Absent such indications, the danger is heightened that Giovannini may have invented, rather than discovered, subtle interconnections in Plato‘s thought.

Now, if its true that Plato intentionally avoided revealing such contradictory conclusions in his dialogues, then it's not right to say that Glovannini "invented" these interconnection. Hence author's criticism is weakened.

AndrewN VeritasKarishma GMATNinja can you please validate whether my reasoning is correct ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts