Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 04:27 It is currently 09 May 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Re: The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
Quote:
2) Which of the following statements is most compatible with Kosminsky's approach to history, as it is presented in the passage?

(A) The Middle Ages were ended primarily by the religious and political upheaval in fourteenth century Europe.
(B) The economic consequences of the Black Death included increased competition for food, shelter, and work.
(C) European history cannot be studied in isolation from that of the rest of the world.
(D) The number of deaths in fourteenth-century Europe has been greatly exaggerated by other historians.
(E) The significance of the Black Death is best explained within the context of evolving economic systems.

Dear experts, @GMATNinja,@ GMATNinjaTwo, workout, SajjadAhmad, u1983, Gnpth
I have no idea how E is the correct answer

In the 1930s, however, Evgeny Kosminsky and other Marxist historians claimed the epidemic was merely an ancillary factor contributing to a general agrarian crisis stemming primarily from the inevitable decay of European feudalism. In arguing that this decline of feudalism was economically determined, the Marxist asserted that the Black Death was a relatively insignificant factor."

I can get Black Death is no so significant factor, but it does not mean The significance of the Black Death is BEST explained within the context of evolving economic systems.

please help, what I missed.

thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2167 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
Why are there fewer questions now than what people seem to have answered above??

Just to clear up question 3 between
A is incorrect - the belief held by twigg is that the rats were insufficiently migratory and that, as inferred, they couldn't carry the disease of the ships as they were dead. We are actually told the ships are 'nile' ships, and I don't recall the Nile going through Asia, so we can scrap A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 529
Send PM
In the GMATprep, a question in asked "The author's attitude toward Twigg's work is best characterized as which of the following?"
With option (A) Dismissive and (C) Cautious. Although the correct option is given as (A), but I selected (C) because of the first line of the last paragraph. The never dismissive the theory rather tell that there some factors not taken into interest.
GMATGuruNY
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I can only see Q1-3 not Q4-6.

bm2201 Sajjad1994: please check.
Kindly post remaining Qs as well

tks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hello GMATNinja
for the question:
According to the passage, the post-Second World War studies that altered the prevailing view of the Black Death involved which of the following?

I know the answer is shown inthe sentence:This became the prevailing view until after the Second World War, when studies of specific regions and towns revealed astonishing mortality rates ascribed to the epidemic, thus restoring the central role of the Black Death in history.

But I think that what this sentence talked about is things after the second world War.

Could you please help me explain the sentence?

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
mSKR wrote:

tks

Hi mSKR,

Added the Questions.

Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
mSKR wrote:

tks

Hi mSKR,

Added the Questions.

Thanks.

But 5th is same as 1st and 6th is same as 2nd ;)
The questions were removed earlier because they were same? is it?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
mSKR wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
mSKR wrote:

tks

Hi mSKR,

Added the Questions.

Thanks.

But 5th is same as 1st and 6th is same as 2nd ;)
The questions were removed earlier because they were same? is it?

Hey,

Apologies for the confusion, you can check now.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
4. The author's attitude toward Twigg's work is best characterized as which of the following?

(A) Dismissive
(B) Indifferent
(C) Vindictive
(D) Cautious
(E) Ambivalent

I chose Option E- ambivalent. I don't understand how the correct answer is option a- dismissive?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi... What would be the level of this passage?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle please could you explain Q5. (D)?

Quote:
(D) presenting aspects of past and current debate on the historical importance of the Black Death

what justifies the usage of current debate? whatever is mentioned is with respect to the past. Isn't it?

Hi Hoozan, based on the studies/opinions/views (that have been conducted/expressed in the "past" from time to time) of various stakeholders, there has been a debate on the historical importance of the Black Death.

Following sentence also confirms this:

The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Europe, has intrigued scholars ever since Francis Gasquet's 1893 study.

"has intrigued scholars ever since Francis Gasquet's 1893 study" implies that this intrigued scholars in the past and continues to do so, in the present as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
Hi AndrewN - on question 3 - not sure how to eliminate (b) unfortunately. This line is really making me believe perhaps (b) is an answer. Curious on how one can eliminate (B)

Quote:

... Moreover, Twigg disputes the traditional trade-ship explanation for plague transmissions by extrapolating from data on the number of dead rats aboard Nile sailing vessels in 1912.

I made the following 3 inferences with the above line in red
  • there were dead rats on ships (ships, that sailed the river : Nile)
  • Based on the number of dead rats on these ships specifically, the plague could not have originated from these trade-ships
  • If the rats survived instead on these trade ships -- the traditional explanation (that the plague originated from trade-ships) would be more a **bit more likely** to be true.

So i selected (B)

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 13 Apr 2022, 10:29.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 13 Apr 2022, 11:00, edited 5 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
AndrewN
^^
Is (b) wrong because

(i) we cant assume that these rats succumbed to the plague themselves - Maybe the rats died on these ships based on sea sickness or lack of food

(ii) (B) makes logical sense but isnt mentioned or inferred per the passage per se
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
There is not much discussion on Question 6. I did not pick E when I saw "BEST" it was way too strong to support through the passage but I can get to E by POE, it's just cannot feel confident with my answer and do not really know how the passage it fits the "evolving" economic condition as stated in the answer choice.

AndrewN GMATNinja egmat - Maybe one of you folks can take a stab at it again? Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 4

mysteriouswoman wrote:
4. The author's attitude toward Twigg's work is best characterized as which of the following?

(A) Dismissive
(B) Indifferent
(C) Vindictive
(D) Cautious
(E) Ambivalent

I chose Option E- ambivalent. I don't understand how the correct answer is option a- dismissive?

To understand the author's attitude toward Twigg's work, look for clues in the passage.

In the third paragraph, the author says one positive thing about Twigg: he "correctly [cites] the exacting conditions needed to start or spread bubonic plague."

Then, the author goes on a long rant about all of the stuff that Twigg got wrong:

• "Twigg ignores virtually a century of scholarship contradictory to his findings"
  • Twigg also "employs faulty logic in his single-minded approach to the Black Death."
  • Twigg's "speculative generalizations about the numbers of rats in medieval Europe are based on isolated studies unrepresentative of medieval conditions," and finally,
  • "his unconvincing trade-ship argument overlooks land-based caravans, the overland migration of infected rodents, and the many other animals that carry plague."

Yikes! The author really doesn't think that Twigg's research deserves much respect. So, in looking for an answer choice for question 4, we want a word that captured the author's disdain for Twigg's work.

(A) fits the bill. The author dismisses Twigg's work, calling it faulty, speculative, and unconvincing. So, we can say that the author's attitude is dismissive.

(B), on the other hand, is a bit off: "ambivalent" means that you have mixed feelings about something. While the author throws in a few words about something that Twigg got right, he/she then goes on to thoroughly bash Twigg's work. The author thinks that Twigg's work is not worthy of respect, so we can't say that the author was ambivalent toward that work.

(A) is the correct answer to question 4.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep

The author does talk about one positive aspect(correct exacting conditions) before the negative ones. So won't this be ambivalent as he has both positive and negative feelings? Hence, option E
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14006 posts