Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
bm2201 wrote:
mSKR wrote:
I can only see Q1-3 not Q4-6.

bm2201 Sajjad1994: please check.
Kindly post remaining Qs as well

tks

Hi mSKR,

Added the Questions.

Thanks.

But 5th is same as 1st and 6th is same as 2nd ;)
The questions were removed earlier because they were same? is it?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
mSKR wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
mSKR wrote:
I can only see Q1-3 not Q4-6.

bm2201 Sajjad1994: please check.
Kindly post remaining Qs as well

tks

Hi mSKR,

Added the Questions.

Thanks.

But 5th is same as 1st and 6th is same as 2nd ;)
The questions were removed earlier because they were same? is it?

Hey,

Apologies for the confusion, you can check now.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 1

heidy333 wrote:
hello GMATNinja
for the question:
According to the passage, the post-Second World War studies that altered the prevailing view of the Black Death involved which of the following?

I know the answer is shown inthe sentence:This became the prevailing view until after the Second World War, when studies of specific regions and towns revealed astonishing mortality rates ascribed to the epidemic, thus restoring the central role of the Black Death in history.

But I think that what this sentence talked about is things after the second world War.

Could you please help me explain the sentence?

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but here are some thoughts on question 1: Both the question and the sentence that you've quoted discuss studies from after the Second World War (WWII).

Before WWII, the prevailing view was the Marxist claim that the black plague wasn't really a big deal. Then, after WWII, some studies showed that the black plague WAS a big deal, because of the high mortality rates in specific places.

The question asks us about post-WWII studies -- which is another way of saying after-WWII studies. So, we can say that these studies determined "the death rates caused by the Black Death in specific regions and towns," and therefore altered the previous view on the epidemic.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
4. The author's attitude toward Twigg's work is best characterized as which of the following?

(A) Dismissive
(B) Indifferent
(C) Vindictive
(D) Cautious
(E) Ambivalent

I chose Option E- ambivalent. I don't understand how the correct answer is option a- dismissive?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 4

mysteriouswoman wrote:
4. The author's attitude toward Twigg's work is best characterized as which of the following?

(A) Dismissive
(B) Indifferent
(C) Vindictive
(D) Cautious
(E) Ambivalent

I chose Option E- ambivalent. I don't understand how the correct answer is option a- dismissive?

To understand the author's attitude toward Twigg's work, look for clues in the passage.

In the third paragraph, the author says one positive thing about Twigg: he "correctly [cites] the exacting conditions needed to start or spread bubonic plague."

Then, the author goes on a long rant about all of the stuff that Twigg got wrong:

• "Twigg ignores virtually a century of scholarship contradictory to his findings"
  • Twigg also "employs faulty logic in his single-minded approach to the Black Death."
  • Twigg's "speculative generalizations about the numbers of rats in medieval Europe are based on isolated studies unrepresentative of medieval conditions," and finally,
  • "his unconvincing trade-ship argument overlooks land-based caravans, the overland migration of infected rodents, and the many other animals that carry plague."

Yikes! The author really doesn't think that Twigg's research deserves much respect. So, in looking for an answer choice for question 4, we want a word that captured the author's disdain for Twigg's work.

(A) fits the bill. The author dismisses Twigg's work, calling it faulty, speculative, and unconvincing. So, we can say that the author's attitude is dismissive.

(B), on the other hand, is a bit off: "ambivalent" means that you have mixed feelings about something. While the author throws in a few words about something that Twigg got right, he/she then goes on to thoroughly bash Twigg's work. The author thinks that Twigg's work is not worthy of respect, so we can't say that the author was ambivalent toward that work.

(A) is the correct answer to question 4.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi... What would be the level of this passage?

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Kudos
EducationAisle please could you explain Q5. (D)?

Quote:
(D) presenting aspects of past and current debate on the historical importance of the Black Death

what justifies the usage of current debate? whatever is mentioned is with respect to the past. Isn't it?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:

Quote:
(D) presenting aspects of past and current debate on the historical importance of the Black Death

what justifies the usage of current debate? whatever is mentioned is with respect to the past. Isn't it?

Hi Hoozan, based on the studies/opinions/views (that have been conducted/expressed in the "past" from time to time) of various stakeholders, there has been a debate on the historical importance of the Black Death.

Following sentence also confirms this:

The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Europe, has intrigued scholars ever since Francis Gasquet's 1893 study.

"has intrigued scholars ever since Francis Gasquet's 1893 study" implies that this intrigued scholars in the past and continues to do so, in the present as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [1]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Kudos
EducationAisle wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Quote:

Hi Hoozan, based on the studies/opinions/views (that have been conducted/expressed in the "past" from time to time) of various stakeholders, there has been a debate on the historical importance of the Black Death.

Following sentence also confirms this:

The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Europe, has intrigued scholars ever since Francis Gasquet's 1893 study.

"has intrigued scholars ever since Francis Gasquet's 1893 study" implies that this intrigued scholars in the past and continues to do so, in the present as well.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you :)

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
The Black Death, a severe epidemic that ravaged fourteenth century Eur [#permalink]
Hi AndrewN - on question 3 - not sure how to eliminate (b) unfortunately. This line is really making me believe perhaps (b) is an answer. Curious on how one can eliminate (B)

Quote:

... Moreover, Twigg disputes the traditional trade-ship explanation for plague transmissions by extrapolating from data on the number of dead rats aboard Nile sailing vessels in 1912.

I made the following 3 inferences with the above line in red
  • there were dead rats on ships (ships, that sailed the river : Nile)
  • Based on the number of dead rats on these ships specifically, the plague could not have originated from these trade-ships
  • If the rats survived instead on these trade ships -- the traditional explanation (that the plague originated from trade-ships) would be more a **bit more likely** to be true.

So i selected (B)

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 13 Apr 2022, 10:29.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 13 Apr 2022, 11:00, edited 5 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
AndrewN
^^
Is (b) wrong because

(i) we cant assume that these rats succumbed to the plague themselves - Maybe the rats died on these ships based on sea sickness or lack of food

(ii) (B) makes logical sense but isnt mentioned or inferred per the passage per se
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi AndrewN - on question 3 - not sure how to eliminate (b) unfortunately. This line is really making me believe perhaps (b) is an answer. Curious on how one can eliminate (B)

Quote:

... Moreover, Twigg disputes the traditional trade-ship explanation for plague transmissions by extrapolating from data on the number of dead rats aboard Nile sailing vessels in 1912.

I made the following 3 inferences with the above line in red
  • there were dead rats on ships (ships, that sailed the river : Nile)
  • Based on the number of dead rats on these ships specifically, the plague could not have originated from these trade-ships
  • If the rats survived instead on these trade ships -- the traditional explanation (that the plague originated from trade-ships) would be more a **bit more likely** to be true.

So i selected (B)

jabhatta2 wrote:
AndrewN
^^
Is (b) wrong because

(i) we cant assume that these rats succumbed to the plague themselves - Maybe the rats died on these ships based on sea sickness or lack of food

(ii) (B) makes logical sense but isnt mentioned or inferred per the passage per se

Hello, jabhatta2. If I had taken this passage before, it was not through this site, so I saw your query and did the only responsible thing I could think to do: I read the passage and completed the question set. If you are curious, I went six for six, but my timing is by no means superhuman: 3:26 (including reading), 1:13, 0:52, 0:24, 1:57, 2:34. Those last two questions I wanted to really think through before committing to an answer, based on some of my earlier experiences blowing through a set of questions and missing one, typically toward the end. Anyway, since the passage is fresh on my mind, I feel primed to answer your queries. How about we look at the question for context?

Quote:
3) The passage suggests that Twigg believes that rats could not have spread the Black Death unless which of the following were true?

(A) The rats escaped from ships that had been in Asia.
(B) The rats were immune to the diseases that they carried.
(C) The rat population was larger in medieval Europe than Twigg believes it actually was.
(D) The rat population primarily infested densely populated areas.
(E) The rats interacted with other animals that Twigg believes could have carried plague.

We need to determine why Twigg does not believe that rats spread the Black Death. Our answer must come from paragraph three. What information do we find on rats, in relation to the question?

Quote:
zoologist Graham Twigg employs urban case studies suggesting that the rat population in Europe was both too sparse and insufficiently migratory to have spread plague. Moreover, Twigg disputes the traditional trade-ship explanation for plague transmissions by extrapolating from data on the number of dead rats aboard Nile sailing vessels in 1912. The Black Death, which he conjectures was anthrax instead of bubonic plague, therefore caused far less havoc and fewer deaths than historians typically claim.

Okay, so I can see a few reasonable answers, based on just how closely the GMAT™ likes an inference to stem from stated information:

1) if the rat population in Europe was... too sparse, then it would need to have been larger;

2) if the rat population in Europe was... insufficiently migratory, then it would need to have been more migratory;

3) if data on the number of dead rats... were different (although we cannot say how, exactly, even if we would want to keep 1) and 2) in mind), then the traditional trade-ship explanation for plague transmissions would be more tenable.

From where would we glean any information on rats and immunity to diseases? I see nothing of the sort in paragraph three. So, your reservations above are warranted. Indeed, we cannot speculate on the cause(s) of death of the rats in question, and we need to have textual evidence, not speculation with a dash of logic, to back up our answer. Meanwhile, option (C) touches directly on 1) above, and we should have a much harder time disputing it than any other option.

Of course, I see that GMATNinja has written much of the same above, in this post. But I do not feel as though I have wasted my time. Sometimes it is good for the community to see the same lines of reasoning repeated, and sometimes it is good to see a slightly different take on the same material, even if the thought process leads to the same conclusion.

Thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
There is not much discussion on Question 6. I did not pick E when I saw "BEST" it was way too strong to support through the passage but I can get to E by POE, it's just cannot feel confident with my answer and do not really know how the passage it fits the "evolving" economic condition as stated in the answer choice.

AndrewN GMATNinja egmat - Maybe one of you folks can take a stab at it again? Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 4

mysteriouswoman wrote:

(A) Dismissive
(B) Indifferent
(C) Vindictive
(D) Cautious
(E) Ambivalent

To understand the author's attitude toward Twigg's work, look for clues in the passage.

In the third paragraph, the author says one positive thing about Twigg: he "correctly [cites] the exacting conditions needed to start or spread bubonic plague."

Then, the author goes on a long rant about all of the stuff that Twigg got wrong:

• "Twigg ignores virtually a century of scholarship contradictory to his findings"
  • Twigg also "employs faulty logic in his single-minded approach to the Black Death."
  • Twigg's "speculative generalizations about the numbers of rats in medieval Europe are based on isolated studies unrepresentative of medieval conditions," and finally,
  • "his unconvincing trade-ship argument overlooks land-based caravans, the overland migration of infected rodents, and the many other animals that carry plague."

Yikes! The author really doesn't think that Twigg's research deserves much respect. So, in looking for an answer choice for question 4, we want a word that captured the author's disdain for Twigg's work.

(A) fits the bill. The author dismisses Twigg's work, calling it faulty, speculative, and unconvincing. So, we can say that the author's attitude is dismissive.

(B), on the other hand, is a bit off: "ambivalent" means that you have mixed feelings about something. While the author throws in a few words about something that Twigg got right, he/she then goes on to thoroughly bash Twigg's work. The author thinks that Twigg's work is not worthy of respect, so we can't say that the author was ambivalent toward that work.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep

The author does talk about one positive aspect(correct exacting conditions) before the negative ones. So won't this be ambivalent as he has both positive and negative feelings? Hence, option E
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shanks2020 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 4

mysteriouswoman wrote:

(A) Dismissive

(B) Indifferent

(C) Vindictive

(D) Cautious

(E) Ambivalent

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep

The author does talk about one positive aspect(correct exacting conditions) before the negative ones. So won't this be ambivalent as he has both positive and negative feelings? Hence, option E

The word "ambivalent" implies roughly equal positive feelings and negative feelings. If I feel ambivalent about having pizza for dinner tonight, then I could really go either way -- maybe my positive feelings about the cheesy deliciousness are equally balanced with my negative feelings about the heartburn that is sure to follow.

The author has more negative than positive feelings about Twigg's work. Even if he/she throws in one token positive thing, his/her overall impression of Twigg is definitely negative. So, "dismissive" is a better fit than "ambivalent," even though the author says one nice thing.

I hope that clears things up!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts