Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Word Problemsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38831 [166]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [42]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [10]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [5]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
The light in a restroom operates with a 15-minute timer that is reset [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Since the light in the restroom gets reset every time the door opens,
and the table contains the timings when the door opens, we have to
identify the times when the light was not started in excess of 15 minutes.

The time periods,
8:31 - 8:54 (gap of 23 mins),
9:11 - 9:29 (gap of 18 mins), and
9:31 - 10:00 (gap of 29 mins)

all have in excess of 15 mins. The first 15 minutes the light will be on,
so the lights will switch off post 15 mins after the restroom is left undisturbed.

From the gaps, we have to reduce 15 mins each and the light remains off
for 8 mins(in period 1), for 3 mins(in period 2) and 14 mins(in period 3)

Therefore, the total time when the light was off is 8+3+14 or 25 min(Option B)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [10]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
The light in a restroom operates with a 15-minute timer that is reset [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1

Originally posted by avigutman on 21 Oct 2020, 18:26.
Last edited by avigutman on 30 Nov 2020, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The light in a restroom operates with a 15-minute timer that is reset [#permalink]

The light in a restroom operates with a 15-minute timer that is reset every time the door opens as a person goes in or out of the room. Thus, after someone enters or exits the room, the light remains on for only 15 minutes unless the door opens again and reset the timer for another 15 minutes. If the times listed above are the times at which the door opened from 8:00 to 10:00, approximately how many minutes during this two-hour period was the light off ?

A. 10
B. 25
C. 35
D. 40
E. 70

Light remains off between 8:31 and 8:54 for 8 minutes
Light remains off between 9:11 and 9:29 for 3 minutes
Light remains off between 9:31 and 10:00 for 14 minutes

Total time when light was off = 8+3+14 = 25 minutes

IMO B
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
AviGutman wrote:
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:

Hi AviGutman - i think one of my mistakes w.r.t this problem was

-- i thought whenever the door opened up (Say 8 am) i stays on till 8.15

and whenever the door opens again (Say 8.03 am) -- the initial time of 8.15 am still is the time for the bulb to switch off

I think i know understand what the verbiage in the problem is when it says timer that is reset every time the door opens as a person goes in or out of the room.

Any suggestions on how to get better at not making these assumptions / getting better at word problems specifically. I think many times, give the text is rather heavy in word problems == I just struggle to even understand what the inference of a sentence is

Is just more practice the only way out in your view ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The light in a restroom operates with a 15-minute timer that is reset [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This prompt starts us off with a table that includes all of the specific times in which a door is opened between 8:00 and 10:00. We are then told that a light in a restroom automatically turns on for 15 MINUTES every time the door is opened (and if the light is ALREADY ON, then the timer is reset back to 15 minutes). We’re asked for the total number of minutes that the light is OFF during those 2 hours.

The primary work needed to answer this question involves simply keeping track of the timer – which means that some basic Arithmetic and note-taking is all that’s required to answer it.

1) Since the door first opens at 8:00, we know that the light will stay on until at least 8:15. During those first 15 minutes, the door opens another 5 times – the last of which occurs at 8:10. At this point, the timer has reset several times – and we know that the light will STAY ON until 8:25…

During that next ‘window’ of time, the door opens 2 more times – the last of which is at 8:19. This extends the light 15 minutes from that time, to 8:34.

During that time, the door opens 2 more times – the last at 8:31. This extends the light 15 more minutes to 8:46.

---> Here, the light turns off for the first time (from 8:46 to 8:54): for 8 MINUTES.

2) At 8:54, the door opens and the timer resets for 9:09. During that time, the door opens 2 more times – the last at 9:05. This extends the light 15 more minutes to 9:20. At 9:11 the door opens once again – and extends the light until 9:26

---> Here, the light turns off for the second time (from 9:26 to 9:29): for 3 MINUTES.

3) At 9:29, the door opens and the timer resets for 9:44. During that time, the door opens 1 more time at 9:31. This extends the light 15 more minutes to 9:46.

---> The light turns off for the third and final time (from 9:46 – 10:00): for 14 MINUTES

Total time the light is OFF: 8 + 3 + 14 = 25 minutes

Final Answer:

GMAT Assassins aren’t born, they’re made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

The light in a restroom operates with a 15-minute timer that is reset every time the door opens as a person goes in or out of the room.Thus,after someone enters or exits the room,the light remains on for only 15 minutes unless the door opens again and reset the timer for another 15 minutes.If the times listed above are the times at which the door opened from 8:00 to 10:00 ,approximately how many minutes during this two-hour period was the light off ?

A. 10
B. 25
C. 35
D. 40
E. 70

Attachment:
x2p9xx.jpg

We are looking for two consecutive times (when the door opened) with a gap of more than 15 minutes, since only then the light would be off.

Since the door is opened at 8:31, the light shuts off at 8:46 and stays off until 8:54, so the light is off for 8 minutes.

Since the door is opened at 9:11, the light shuts off at 9:26 and stays off until 9:29, so the light is off for 3 minutes.

Finally, since the door is opened at 9:31, the light shuts off at 9:46 and stays off at least until 10:00, so the light is off for 14 minutes (at least until 10:00).

Thus, the light was off for a total of 8 + 3 + 14 = 25 minutes.

Answer: B

I am a bit confused on how we were supposed to know how to read the table. After learning of the answer, I understand that you read each column top to the bottom vertically, but how did you know how to do that? I realize this may be a silly question, but the way that the information appears in the box threw me off. Thank you! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi woohoo921,

There are a number of 'context' clues in the way this prompt is written and formatted. First, if you're just looking at the table, its title is "Times at Which the Door Opened from 8:00 to 10:00" - so we know that we're dealing with a 2-hour timeframe (starting at 8:00 and ending at 10:00). When thinking in those terms, the logical way to consider that type of data would be chronological order (and we can see that that's how the 4 columns are written). That's actually the second clue - there is an "order" to the times (as they're arranged in columns - so that's probably how we should view them); with just a little bit of looking around, you can see that all 4 of the times in the 1st column are 'earlier' than the first time in the 2nd column (and so on). Finally, the prompt itself tells us that every time the door is opened, a 15-minute timer resets (and keeps on) the bathroom light. Since we're asked to find the times that the light is NOT on, we need to start with the earliest time and work linearly through the 2 hours. A quick scan of the table shows us that the earliest 4 times are all in the 1st column and the 4 latest times (the only ones after 9:00) are all in the 4th column. That would get me thinking that the columns order the 16 times (and with a little review, we see that that's the case).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 184
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: ISB '23 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
At first this questions seems very easy, in fact logically also its very simple but somehow the chances of committing error are very high.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
IMO : B = 25 Mins Light will be off (08:00 to 10:00)
120 Mins = (light on) - (light off)
Light off = 120 - (light On) = 120 Mins - 95 Mins = 25 Mins
08:00 to 08:31 = 31+15 = 46 Mins (Gap - 11 Mins)
08:54 to 09:11 = 16+15 = 31 Mins (Gap -3 Mins)
09:21 to 09:31 = 3 + 15 = 18 Mins (Gap - 14 Mins)
Total Time Light ON : 95 Mins
Total Time light OFF - 25 Mins
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM