Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Re: The zoning commission has countered that its consultation process was [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
mikemcgarry,

Didn't know so much about "still". Thanks for such detailed explanation and thanks for your kind words. Now I'm totally able to see why (C) is incorrect.

However, there is one thing that is not very clear to me. How can "still another X" play a role as a noun. Could you please elaborate on this? Possibly by sharing some other examples.

Dear manhasnoname,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The "another" is a tricky word, because it can function both as a pronoun and as a adjective. It's in a category known as indefinite words. See:
GMAT Sentence Correction: Indefinite Pronouns and Agreement
GMAT Sentence Correction: Indefinite Pronouns and Logic

When a noun follows it, the word "another" acts as an adjective, as a noun modifier. The word "still" is an adverb that modifies the adjective. When we have "still another [noun]" we have [adverb][adjective][noun]. If we are assigning grammatically roles to words in isolation, those are the grammatical roles of those three words. Similar structures:
the very intelligent student
a quite lucrative career

Each of these is of the form [article][adverb][adjective][noun]. Again, if we are going to dissect down to the level of individual words, that what we have.

On the other hand, the poet William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850) said, "We murder to dissect." When you focus too much on the grammatical role of each word in a sentence in isolation, you miss the gestalt, the sense of the whole. When we start looking at how the sentence functions as unit, it becomes clear that the any noun plus all its modifiers act as a kind of unit. In this sense, we would refer to this entire string of words as a noun, because together, they play a noun-role in the large sentence, even though each individual word may or may not be a noun by itself. Consider the sentences:
1) The very intelligent student gave the professor a nuanced answer, suggesting that ....
2) A quite lucrative career for young MBA graduates is ....
It's not incorrect to say that the noun that plays the role of the subject is "the very intelligent student" in #1 and "a quite lucrative career" in #2. In each case, that collection of words as a unit acts a noun in the sentence, and in fact, each acts as the subject in its sentence. This is a more holistic way to think about grammar. The reductionistic method is to look at each individual word separately.

From the purely reductionistic view, holism is wrong. From the holistic view, reductionism misses the forest for the trees. A student who can look at a sentence both holistically and reductionistically will have that much deeper an understanding of the sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The zoning commission has countered that its consultation process was [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
The zoning commission has countered that its consultation process was exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and with other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise.

I love, but in the same time hate, such type of questions!
You need to be very, very, very attentive not to miss anything.

Let's understand the meaning first.
The ZC said smth. What exactly? (starting a list with 3 entities)
1. that its consultation process was exhaustive
2. that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with (another list here - oh boy! right? :D )
a) leadership councils;
b) business empowerment boards;
c) and other community organizations.
3. and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise.

looks good so far...let's get to the POE!

A. has countered that its consultation process was exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and with other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise
this damn "with" might be easily overlooked! this single word makes the inside list not parallel. As a result, the answer choice A is incorrect...

B. has countered that its consultation process has been exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise
alright..this one changes the tense from "was exhaustive" to has been exhaustive - not a big difference..ok..
list 1 is ok
list 2 is ok
looks like we have a winner...better check the other ones as well just to make sure.

C. has countered that its consultation process has been exhaustive, it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and none of the issued permits ought to come as a surprise
1st error - 1st list is not correct. twice the same error...2nd entity and 3rd entity
2nd error - we have an IC in the middle. this IC is not connected properly to anything...good bye C!

D. countered that its consultation process has been exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, with business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as surprises
oups!
we either use with for all entities of the list or not use it at all for 2nd and 3rd...
D is out.

E. countered that its consultation process was exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise
again..a missing that in the third entity of the first list makes this choice incorrect...

B must be the answer!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
282552 wrote:
Mike another one on the same lines.What would be your pick. I picked C

Dear 282552,

My friend, you pasted the question in this thread into a thread concerning a completely different question. Unfortunately, this is not the best practice. Think about it. If somebody else wants to know about what you or I think about this question, how would they know to look for our exchange in that other thread? This thread is the logical place to look for any discussion of this question. Also, when you pasted the question into that thread, you committed the GC faux pas of not citing the source. The source of a Verbal question speaks volumes about its authority and quality.

Here is a modified version of this question:
Several Pentagon contractor firms are working on a new class of ventilator masks, not just for emergency and cleanup workers but to prepare for outbreaks of dangerous viruses and still another growing threat: the accidental releases of nanoparticles, which are the infinitesimal, engineered fibers that are starting to be used in electronics, food, medicine, and more.

(A) still another growing threat: the accidental releases of nanoparticles, which are the infinitesimal,
(B) still another growing threat: the accidental releases of nanoparticles and the infinitesimal,
(C) still another growing threat of the accidental releases of nanoparticles, the infinitesimal and
(D) for still another growing threat: the accidental releases of nanoparticles, the infinitesimal and
(E) to protect against still another growing threat of the accidental releases of nanoparticles and the infinitesimal and

Usually, Veritas writes good questions, but this is not one of their better offerings. Notice, first of all, I altered the underlined section and answer choices, because all five answer choices had similarities at the beginning & the end that could be omitted for shortened answer choices without the loss of any information. That's just exceptionally poor editing.

This is not the best question. Choice (B) changes the meaning to something illogical, so that is out. Choice (C) & (E) are awkward and change the meaning, so they are out. The problem in both of them is that, rather than clearly identify the other "growing threat" with "the accidental releases of nanoparticles," (C) & (E) suggest that there is "another growing threat of the accidental releases of nanoparticles," as if we already knew of some of the threats associated with the accidental releases of nanoparticles and now this is telling us one more. That's a huge change in meaning, to something illogical.

I think choice (A) is good, and so is choice (D), the OA. I think they would say that the parallelism in (A) is unclear, because admittedly there is ambiguity whether "threat" is the object of "for" or of "of." That is a particularly poor split, because either way has much the same meaning. I don't know. I find that a very picayune split, not persuasive and satisfying, not at all in the style of the splits on the GMAT SC question. This questions achieves its splits on the basis of small technicality, which is not really in the spirit of GMAT SC questions. Often Veritas questions impress me, but I am less than impressed by this one.

That's what I think of this question.

My friend, I am more than happy to give my input on other questions, but please find the threads where those questions are already posted, ask your question in those threads, and use the "mention this user" to call my attention to your question.

Don't you think the idiom structure Not Only X but Y requires X and Y to be parallel?
In this case, X is a noun - " workers", whereas Y is an infinitive verb "to prepare". Though this is in the non-underlined portion and is inconsequential to the OA, I believe this is not an accurate construction of this idiom

chetan2u
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
You have mentioned that in D, "none of the permits" is a singular entity. However, none is followed by a plural object "permits", which makes this entire entity plural.

For eg- none of the boys are coming.
Some of the cake is missing

Therefore, isn't "none of the permits" a plural enitity?

Dear rahulkashyap,

The word "none" is tricky. In a way, it originally was a contraction of "not one." True grammatical purists would say that it is always singular. These people would say:
None of the boys is coming.
These say purist would say that "are" in that sentence is wrong. In this way, it's different from the other indefinite pronouns (some, most, many, few, etc.) See:
GMAT Sentence Correction: Indefinite Pronouns and Agreement
Now, this degree of rigor might be too conservative even for the GMAT! I have not seen the GMAT test issues such as "None of the X's is/are ..." Some of the truly rigorous grammatical issues the GMAT tends to sidestep.

Nevertheless, it's good to have this idea of "none" = "not one" in the back of your mind. Setting "none of the X's" equal to some other plural, here "surprises," still sounds awkward.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
Don't you think the idiom structure Not Only X but Y requires X and Y to be parallel?
In this case, X is a noun - " workers", whereas Y is an infinitive verb "to prepare". Though this is in the non-underlined portion and is inconsequential to the OA, I believe this is not an accurate construction of this idiom

Dear rahulkashyap,

The short answer is: what appears in that question is 100% correct--in particularly, it's perfectly correct and particularly sophisticated use of parallelism. This is a very subtle point.

You see, parallelism is NOT a grammatical construction. Parallelism is a LOGICAL construction, a pattern of matching at the level of logic, and the grammar simply has to reflect the pattern in the logic. Grammar always follows logic.

Naturally, in a comparison, we compare like to like, so over 90% of the time, comparing two things that are logically in the same category (two objects, two actions, etc.) requires two sets of words that match grammatically. The grammar is simply following the logic.

In this case, we are talking about two purposes for action. There are a variety of ways for me to express the purpose of my action. I could use a prepositional phrase:
I bought groceries for my sick friend.
I bought groceries for supplies during the upcoming storm.
I could also use an infinitive of purpose.
I bought groceries to help my sick friend.
I bought groceries to stock up before the upcoming storm.
Those are grammatically different but logically equivalent.

In parallelism, the two branches always must be logically equivalent. Once again, 90% of the time, that also means they will be grammatical equivalents, but this is one example, expressions of the purpose of an action, in which two completely different grammatical forms can be logically equivalent.

By contrast, we easily could construct a sentence in which the elements match grammatically but not logically----
I cooked dinner with enthusiasm, with fresh parsley, and with my friend Chris.
Those three prepositional phrases in parallel match grammatically, but it's a complete mismatch logically. In terms of parallelism, that sentence is a complete train wreck, but the problem doesn't show up at the level of grammar.

You see, you can't afford to be fundamentalist about parallelism---the GMAT will punish that kind of thinking. You can't get through GMAT SC at the level of literalism. You always have to be thinking about logic and meaning. All language is about conveying meaning! That's the single most important thing in language, so it's the single most important thing in the GMAT SC. The student who gets stuck on the grammar and ignores the meaning misses the boat!

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
AnthonyRitz, VeritasPrepKarishma, GMATNinja, Could verbal expert help to explain the "THAT" clause in this question?

1. The zoning commission has countered THAT its consultation process has been exhaustive, THAT it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and THAT none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise.

2. The BELIEF THAT the Earth is flat is contradicted by EVIDENCE THAT the Earth is round and the DISCOVERY THAT the Earth circles the Sun.

3. Some buildings THAT were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earthquake last year had been constructed in violation of the city’s building code. [Taken from Official Guide Verbal Review 2017 Question 39]
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
ziyuen wrote:
AnthonyRitz, VeritasPrepKarishma, GMATNinja, Could verbal expert help to explain the "THAT" clause in this question?

1. The zoning commission has countered THAT its consultation process has been exhaustive, THAT it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and THAT none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise.

2. The BELIEF THAT the Earth is flat is contradicted by EVIDENCE THAT the Earth is round and the DISCOVERY THAT the Earth circles the Sun.

3. Some buildings THAT were destroyed or heavily damaged in the earthquake last year had been constructed in violation of the city’s building code. [Taken from Official Guide Verbal Review 2017 Question 39]

I'm flattered to be mentioned alongside such distinguished authorities! The word "that" can function as a relative pronoun or as a subordinating conjunction (a type of connector). In the first form, "that" begins a relative clause modifier that (usually) describes the adjacent noun (with some small set of exceptions). In the second form, "that" connects a dependent clause to the independent clause that follows, setting up and contextualizing the main idea of the sentence.

Taking your three examples:

In (1), "that" acts as a subordinating conjunction in each appearance (set in parallel by the "and"); the statements that follow are independent clauses.

In (3), "that" acts as a relative pronoun that modifier the immediately proceeding noun in each instance.

In (2), I think relative pronoun.

I hope this helps!

Originally posted by AnthonyRitz on 30 Mar 2017, 07:05.
Last edited by AnthonyRitz on 30 Mar 2017, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Yup, Anthony has it right!

In #1, "that" just subordinates the clause(s) that follow.

In #2 & #3, "that" functions as a relative pronoun. In other words, "that" just introduces modifiers for the preceding nouns (belief, evidence, discovery, buildings).
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
NeverSurrender wrote:
The zoning commission has countered that its consultation process was exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and with other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise.

A) has countered that its consultation process was exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and with other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise

B) has countered that its consultation process has been exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise

C) has countered that its consultation process has been exhaustive, it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and none of the issued permits ought to come as a surprise

D) countered that its consultation process has been exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, with business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and that none of the issued permits ought to have come as surprises

E) countered that its consultation process was exhaustive, that it coordinated and participated in over 250 meetings with leadership councils, business-empowerment boards, and other community organizations, and none of the issued permits ought to have come as a surprise

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

B. This problem tests parallel structure in a series, with the added bonus that two concurrent lists are involved to obscure your task. The zoning commission has countered three things:

1) That its consultation process... 2) That it coordinated... 3) That none of the permits ought to have come as a surprise

You need a sentence that uses "that" for each of them, and C and E each fail to do so.

The second list is of meetings. The commission coordinated and participated in meetings with:

1) leadership councils 2) business-empowerment boards 3) other community organizations

These three also need to be parallel, and since no list of three has a "with" with each, only the "with" after "participated in meetings..." keeps a parallel list. This eliminates A and D, leaving B as the correct choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
For this question, which is a better choice of tense , simple past or present participle
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
What is the difference between "was exhaustive" and "has been exhaustive" ?
Although I knew that "that" was missing breaking the parallel structure in E, I still chose E thinking that "has been exhaustive" in B is not correct.

mikemcgarry
GMATNinja
egmat
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
rsrighosh wrote:
What is the difference between "was exhaustive" and "has been exhaustive" ?
Although I knew that "that" was missing breaking the parallel structure in E, I still chose E thinking that "has been exhaustive" in B is not correct.

mikemcgarry
GMATNinja
egmat

rsrighosh has been exhaustive means that it was exhaustive and it still continues to be exhaustive. Was exhaustive means that it was exhaustive at some point in the past.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Brian123

Then isn't B changing the sentence meaning of original sentence (by changing the tense) ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
rsrighosh wrote:
Brian123

Then isn't B changing the sentence meaning of original sentence (by changing the tense) ?

rsrighosh, the original sentence and the option E has a clear cut parallelism error. We need to pick the sentence that is free of grammatical error and communicates a logical meaning. B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts