Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 21:12 It is currently 09 May 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1457 [521]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [81]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30868 [65]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7653 [33]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

Sentence presents two facts about JB-
1) To JB, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
2) she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

Structure: Noun phrase, clause1 and clause2.
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate[/u], and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

JB is the subject of both the parts. "and" indicates parallelism and for meaning clarity, these clauses should be parallel. In other words, the subject pronoun "she" should refer to the subject noun of the preceding clause and hence JB should be the subject of the first clause.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate- JB should be the subject of the former clause

'her' is redundant.

B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Structure: noun phrase, modifier, clause 1 and clause 2 - placement of introductory elements is bad

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

Structure: Clause 1 modifier and clause 2

The construction is reversed.

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

Structure: Modifier, Clause 1 and Clause 2- Looks good!

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
CrackVerbal
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [12]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Concepts tested here: Parallelism + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• For referring to the purpose or intent of an action, the infinitive verb form (“to + base form of verb" – “to + be” in this sentence) is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing" - "being" in this sentence) construction.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "Paris was her home..." and "she remained in France..."; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy and indirect construction "To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "Paris was her home" and "she remained in France..."; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy and indirect construction "For Josephine Baker...Paris was her home", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice uses the passive and needlessly indirect construction "long before to be an expatriate was fashionable", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly maintains parallelism between "Josephine Baker made Paris her home" and "she remained in France...". Further, Option D uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this case) to refer to the intent of the action "it was fashionable". Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "being" in this sentence) to refer to the intent of the action "it was fashionable"; remember, for referring to the purpose/intent of an action, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb") is preferred over the present participle ("verb+ing"). Further, Option E uses the needlessly indirect clause "Paris was home to Josephine Baker", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30868 [16]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
freakygeek wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

I am wondering if there are any other others in this sentence except the one that OG has pointed out, that is 2 independent clauses when connected by ', and' are most clear when their subject is same.

Can you please help me here ? Also, In D answer choice since opening modifier is about Paris, doesnt it seem to be modifying 'Josephin Baker' rather than Paris ?

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your query here.

The parallelism error between the two clauses seems to be the only grammatical error in option A, but you can also see this as a meaning issue. The subject of the sentence should be Josephine Baker, since the main point of the sentence is to tell us something about her. This focus is lost when Paris is made the subject of the sentence.

Modifiers about time periods tell us when the subject performed an action; they don't describe the subject itself. This modifier could theoretically be replaced by a modifier such as the following: In 1940, Josephine Baker made Paris her home. Here, the time period doesn't have to tell us more about the subject; it merely tells us about the time in which she performed a certain action. The modifier in option D functions in pretty much the same way: it tells us when Baker made Paris her home.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts!

Regards,
Meghna
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Two independent sentences are coordinated using “and”. The subject of the second sentence “She” and it would be clear if the Subject of the first sentence clarifies “She”.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate [o be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate – awkward – eliminate it]
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home [Hold it]
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]

Answer: D
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15284 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OreoShake wrote:
Dont really get why C is wrong, to me it felt unidiomatic but no real grammer issues. 'to be an expatriate' acts as a noun and should be correct as well.

Any comment is appreciated.

If you recollect the use of "placeholder IT", then you would probably realize why C is awkward.

It is fashionable to be expatriate... correct ( The placeholder "it" replaces "to be expatriate").

The placeholder is used to eliminate the awkwardness in the following sentence:
To be an expatriate is fashionable... awkward.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sakshamchhabra wrote:
Greetings AjiteshArun

I have second thoughts about the opening modifier in Option (D)

Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

The subject for the opening modifier should follow after the comma, and the correct subject seems to be "paris" not JB

Please add your thoughts
Hi sakshamchhabra,

We do sometimes need to be careful about which noun we choose as the subject in such constructions. For example:

Long before it was discovered by scientists digging in sediments, the ancient burial site was used by a local tribe. ← Here the it points to the ancient burial site, which is the intended meaning.

Long before it was discovered by scientists digging in sediments, a local tribe used the ancient burial site. ← This sentence seems to be telling us that a local tribe was what the scientists discovered. This sentence is not as clear as the first one, and therefore we'd try not to mark this option.

In this question though, the it is not a problem.

Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate... ← Here the it points to to be an expatriate. We can see that by asking ourselves what was fashionable. To be an expatriate was fashionable.

This means that we are not restricted in our choice of subject after the comma, as the it is not pointing to anything after the comma.

So "long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home" is fine. We don't need to make Paris the subject, as the it does not refer to Paris.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [3]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Betweem B and D:

B) "For Josephine.. Paris was her home" just doesn't sound right. We already know "her" refers to Josephine, and the addition of "her" in this place is just awkward. Also, the "for" in the beginning kind of distorts the intended meaning of the author.

D) First we're given an inessential clause, then Josephine is introduced and the rest of the underlined portion is parallel to "she remained in France" .. So D is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I agree with paralelizm issue between SHE and JB. Now I think between answeres C and D.
Both are grammatically correct. But it is GMAt and we have to choose the one that sounds better.

The only differencу is TO BE AN E. WAS FASHIONABLE OR IT WAS FASHIONABLE TO BE AN E.
There is a rule: all the time I see the clause starts with INFINITIVE OR THAT- CLAUSE, I know grammatically the sentence is correct but I still look for a better sounded sentence with an IT prep in the beginning.
EX : To talk to Alesia is pleasure. correct grammatically. But better to say It is pleasure to talk to Alesia.
That Alesia is a member of gmatclub gives her an advantage. BETTER- it is an advantage her an advantage to be a member of gmatclub.

So, if You see think between two of these sentences choose the second one. If you have only one option- the first one- and other 4 choices are grammatically incorrect- choose the first option.

hope it helps
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15284 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jjindal wrote:
I get the logic for why others are incorrect. However, with D, "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance". Doesn't this make she redudant? Also, is made a complete verb in the first clause?

jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Query 1:
No, "she" is required in the second clause. Notice the comma before "and". Comma + and separates two independent clauses. If the comma were not there, then "she" would be redundant -"and" without comma can join two verbs.

I play, and I sing.... correct.
I play and sing.... correct.
I play and I sing..... wrong.
I play, and sing. .....wrong.

Query 2:
Yes, "made" is a complete verb (simple past form of "make"). Why do you think there could be an issue with "made"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KHow wrote:
Hello,

Could someone specify how D is correct given the way that the last words before the comma split come together? I feel that "and she remained in France" does not match with the first sentence (before the comma) in D.

Any insight would be great! :)

KHow
If you're asking whether the structures are similar, this is what the and does in option D:

Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,
and
she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

The and joins two clauses here ("JB made..." and "she remained...").
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9269 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos