Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38840 [344]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [50]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 682 [38]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [12]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including “Their” in the non-underlined section tells us that the subject is plural. “A female cowbird” cannot be used.

B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of “Their” in the non-underlined section tells us that the subject is plural. “A female cowbird” cannot be used.

C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of “, including those” seem to mean that the cowbird lays eggs of the other birds including warbler, vireos and so on.”

D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including This option shows that the cowbird lays up to 40 eggs in the nest of other birds, including warbler vireos and so on.

E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including “Unable to build nests or care for their young” has been used to tell us more about female cowbirds. So this needs to follow immediately after the comma.

- Nitha Jay
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

(A) a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
(B) a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
(E) up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that - female cowbirds are unable to build nests or care for their young, and so lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, and these birds include warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Pronouns + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• In the “phrase + comma + noun” and “noun + comma + phrase” constructions, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• Information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future.

A: The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly uses the plural pronoun "their" to refer to the singular noun phrase "a female cowbird".

B: The sentence formed by this answer choice incorrectly uses the plural pronoun "their" to refer to the singular noun phrase "a female cowbird". Further, Option B incorrectly modifies the noun phrase "40 eggs a year" with "including those of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes", illogically implying that the 40 eggs laid in a year by the cowbird include eggs of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes; the intended meaning is that the birds in whose nests the cowbird lays its eggs include warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes; remember, in the “phrase + comma + noun” and “noun + comma + phrase” constructions, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction. Additionally, Option B incorrectly uses the simple future tense verb "will use" to refer to information that is permanent in nature; remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple future tense is used to refer to actions that will take place in the future. Besides, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "use the nests of other birds to lay", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly modifies the noun phrase "40 eggs a year" with "including those of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes", illogically implying that the 40 eggs laid in a year by the cowbird include eggs of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes; the intended meaning is that the birds in whose nests the cowbird lays its eggs include warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes; remember, in the “phrase + comma + noun” and “noun + comma + phrase” constructions, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase "use the nests of other birds to lay", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses "Unable to build nests or care for their young" to modify "female cowbirds" and modifies "other birds" with "including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes", conveying the intended meaning - that female cowbirds are unable to build nests or care for their young, and so lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, and these birds include warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes. Further, the sentence formed by Option D correctly uses the plural pronoun "their" to refer to the plural noun "cowbirds". Additionally, Option D correctly uses the simple present tense verb "lay" to refer to information that is permanent in nature. Besides, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Unable to build nests or care for their young" to modify "up to 40 eggs a year", illogically implying that the eggs laid by cowbirds are unable to build nests or care for their young; the intended meaning is that cowbirds are unable to build nests or care for their young; remember, in the “phrase + comma + noun” and “noun + comma + phrase” constructions, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [19]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
Pronoun number agreement error : Non-underlined part "their" must agree in number with "a female cowbird"..
B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
Same error as A
E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including
Non-underlined part "Unable to build...." so immediately after the comma the entity which is unable to do that activity should come.... The female cowbirds must come immediately after the comma ...

So, straight away option A, B and E are out..
Now my analysis of option C and D are as follows : Though I got this question wrong, on spending few more minutes this is what occurred to me :

C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
as per this sentence, the meaning becomes "the birds take help of the nests of other birds to lay eggs" - which seems a bit illogical as it means "the action of laying is aided by nests"
Hence, I think this option changes the meaning of the original sentences ...
However, I feel "those" correctly refers to "the nests" and there is NO error in this modification

D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
Pronoun agreement error in option A is rectified here and the meaning error in C is not present as the sentence avoided the usage of verb "use".

Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir can you please confirm whether my analysis of option C is correct here ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [16]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Choice C is plain wrong in meaning that the cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, eggs that include the eggs of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes. This is absurd.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
pikolo wrote

Quote:
Hello Daagh Sir,

I have 2 queries here

1. The word "including" is modifying the preceding clause - right? A few people on the thread commented it is modifying the nearest noun i.e.
- in Option C, "including" ----> year
- in option D, "including" ----> birds
2. How did you conclude that "those of" in option C is referring to "eggs" and not referring to "nests" ?

1. If you have a comma before including, then it will never modify the noun before.

2. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of

Let's replace the pronoun with both nouns:

1. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the eggs of
2. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of

Both choices are equally weird, the second being more bizarre
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [11]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
What is the role of 'including' in the choice D?

Sounds like it is an 'ing' modifying the previous clause. But as per the meaning, it should modify 'birds'.

Hi RMD007, this indeed creates confusion. The rule you've mentioned (modifying the previous clause) is for present participial phrases. However, including is not a present participial phrase; including is actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 343 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [7]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
daagh wrote:
Choice C is plain wrong in meaning that the cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, eggs that include the eggs of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes. This is absurd.

Hello Daagh Sir,

I have 2 queries here

1. The word "including" is modifying the preceding clause - right? A few people on the thread commented it is modifying the nearest noun i.e.
- in Option C, "including" ----> year
- in option D, "including" ----> birds
2. How did you conclude that "those of" in option C is referring to "eggs" and not referring to "nests" ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [5]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:
EducationAisle

Hello Ashish, Thanks for the example that shows how including can modify far-away noun.

May I know if including follows the same rule as other noun modifiers - which or that - as far as modifying far-away nouns are concerned? i.e. an essential noun modifier might fall before a comma and 'including' can then modify the far-away noun

Hello shameekv1989,

You correctly say that comma + including... is an exception to the usage of the comma + verb-ing modifier as an action modifier. The word including, even if preceded by a comma and placed after a clause, the word including ALWAYS acts as a noun modifier. It always associates with the logical noun entity in the sentence. This logical noun entity can be right before including or far-away in the sentence.

Notice the usage of including in the following official sentence:

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

In this official sentence, the word including modifies the far-away noun a series of printed instructions because per the context of the sentence, this is the only noun entity that including can logically modify.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Suryanshi wrote:
In Option D, Isn't "including" working as a present participle ? and as per that rule, it would be modifying subject of the previous tense which is "female cowbirds" and that would be wrond.

In Option C, "those" clearly refers to the noun "nests" and hence clarifies the meaning.

Hence, Answer should be option C.

Assumption-: I am assuming the intended meaning of the sentence is that female cowbirds lay eggs in the nests of other birds and those nests could be of warblers, vireos, flycatchers... etc.

Please clarify where I am going wrong with this.

Hello, Suryanshi. Your query reminds me of something GMATNinja often says in his SC posts, namely that you sometimes have to read each part with a literal interpretation, at face value, rather than with your mind already made up. My take on each of the following below:

AbdurRakib wrote:

(A) a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including

Analysis: What is a singular female cowbird doing as the subject of the main clause when the possessive pronoun their is used immediately before? This option will not work.

AbdurRakib wrote:
(B) a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of

Analysis: I struck this one at about the same time as option (A), not even bothering to read beyond the first three words.

AbdurRakib wrote:
(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of

Analysis: People talk this way all the time, and I cannot argue that your interpretation is incorrect. The problem is that, taken in a literal sense, those of could also refer to eggs, as in, female cowbirds... lay up to 40 eggs a year, including [the eggs] of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes. How nice of the cowbirds to take on the labor duties of the other birds! See how silly that is? Of course, no bird can lay eggs on behalf of other pregnant birds, but grammatically speaking, the second interpretation makes just as much sense as the first. For more on -ing modifiers, I would suggest reading this article. In terms of this question and answer choice, the ambiguity of meaning rules it out.

AbdurRakib wrote:
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including

Analysis: Now the issue has been worked out, with the -ing modifier reaching back to in the nests of other birds. Again, the -ing modifier is much more flexible than a "touch rule" would lead you to believe. (Please refer to the article I linked to above.)

AbdurRakib wrote:
(E) up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

Analysis: There is no need for a passive construct in this sentence, and the phrase about eggs here does not clearly or logically deliver on the setup of the introductory phrase, Unable to build nests or care for their young. You need to know what or whom their refers to, and female cowbirds should be front and center in the main clause.

I hope that helps. If you need further clarification, please ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos