It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:03

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [2], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (00:53) correct 41% (01:01) wrong based on 653 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 268

Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3052 [2], given: 220

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 196 [2], given: 48

Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 268

Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

The first major problem is the modifier "Unable to build nests or care for their young". This modifier must be followed by 'female cowbirds'. Notice that the modifier says "care for their young" so needs the plural form of cowbird. Options A and B are out. E is out incorrect modification.

In C and D, at the end of the sentence we see "including.." this must modify the birds, giving examples of birds,whose nests cowbirds lay their eggs in. In C, the including incorrectly modifies year. D is the best choice.

Kudos [?]: 196 [2], given: 48

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 10:44

Pronoun number agreement error : Non-underlined part "their" must agree in number with "a female cowbird"..
Same error as A
Non-underlined part "Unable to build...." so immediately after the comma the entity which is unable to do that activity should come.... The female cowbirds must come immediately after the comma ...

So, straight away option A, B and E are out..
Now my analysis of option C and D are as follows : Though I got this question wrong, on spending few more minutes this is what occurred to me :

as per this sentence, the meaning becomes "the birds take help of the nests of other birds to lay eggs" - which seems a bit illogical as it means "the action of laying is aided by nests"
Hence, I think this option changes the meaning of the original sentences ...
However, I feel "those" correctly refers to "the nests" and there is NO error in this modification

Pronoun agreement error in option A is rectified here and the meaning error in C is not present as the sentence avoided the usage of verb "use".

Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir can you please confirm whether my analysis of option C is correct here ?

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 200

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1064 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 03:09
A. a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including – Pronoun agreement issue – there is plural and thus singular cowbird is incorrect
B. a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of – Pronoun agreement issue – there is plural and thus singular cowbird is incorrect
C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of – usage of including is illogical as it should modify what come before the comma ; also the cowbirds lay eggs in is correct
D. female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including – Correct
E. up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including – Illogical modifier
Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1064 [0], given: 90

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8327 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 03:41
Top Contributor
Choice C is plain wrong in meaning that the cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, eggs that include the eggs of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes. This is absurd.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8327 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 179

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 07:24
daagh wrote:
Choice C is plain wrong in meaning that the cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, eggs that include the eggs of warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes. This is absurd.

Hello Daagh Sir,

I have 2 queries here

1. The word "including" is modifying the preceding clause - right? A few people on the thread commented it is modifying the nearest noun i.e.
- in Option C, "including" ----> year
- in option D, "including" ----> birds
2. How did you conclude that "those of" in option C is referring to "eggs" and not referring to "nests" ?

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 179

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 07:39
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 268

'their' indicates we need a plural subject.
A,B are OUT.
E is out as 'up to 40 eggs' cannot be the subject.
Between C and D.
C has a weird meaning i.e. cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay eggs. Did the nests help? OUT.

D is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 09:22
Can someone explain the usage of "including" here in C and D?
It doesn't look like typical VERB+ing modifier (present participle) that modified the previous clause. It appears to be used to list examples (such as is typically used for).

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8327 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
pikolo wrote

Quote:
Hello Daagh Sir,

I have 2 queries here

1. The word "including" is modifying the preceding clause - right? A few people on the thread commented it is modifying the nearest noun i.e.
2. How did you conclude that "those of" in option C is referring to "eggs" and not referring to "nests" ?

1. If you have a comma before including, then it will never modify the noun before.

2. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of

Let's replace the pronoun with both nouns:

1. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the eggs of
2. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of

Both choices are equally weird, the second being more bizarre

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8327 [1], given: 366

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 22:48
', including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.' is modifying previous noun 'birds' or the whole clause 'female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds'

do we really need ',' before including for option D to be correct

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 00:03
daagh wrote:
pikolo wrote

Quote:
Hello Daagh Sir,

I have 2 queries here

1. If you have a comma before including, then it will never modify the noun before.

2. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of

Let's replace the pronoun with both nouns:

1. C. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the eggs of
2. female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including the nests of

Both choices are equally weird, the second being more bizarre

Hello daagh & other Experts,

Could someone explain the role of V-ing Modifier "including" in option C & D. How can we use that to eliminate C?

Thanks in advance.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 00:06
Hello Daagh & other Experts (e-Gmat/GmatNinja/Mike),

Could someone explain the role of V-ing Modifier "including" in option C & D. How can we use that to eliminate C?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2017, 00:06

Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap