Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Can you please explain my doubt on the following link?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/reviewing-hi ... l#p2171717

Regards
Nitesh

Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/reviewing-hi ... l#p2173068
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma mam
I have a doubt in this question with regards to Option E. Although you have explained this question in details, my doubt is how can we infer that " The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does"

The reviewer only say Lee knows the city as well as she does. it can't be inferred that she knows the city less than Lee.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/when-i-read- ... 71538.html

Absolutely! We cannot say that she knows the city less than the author. But note that we can infer that she does not know the city better than the author.

In case of a city she knows well, she wants the author to know the city as well as she does. She then says that the author does not disappoint. So we can conclude that the author knows the city as much as she does. So she does not know the city better than the author.
(E) says that she does NOT believe that she knows the city better than Lee does.
This makes complete sense. Hence (E) is correct.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
VeritasKarishma mam another doubt in this question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/high-technol ... 34543.html

I am stuck in two answer choices in this question....C and D

I am unable to proceed further

Kindly guide further

There you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/high-technol ... l#p2173557
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
Thanks a lot VeritasKarishma mam for the detailed explanation to both the questions :)
Whatever CR questions I had solved on this GMAT club forum, For the detailed explanations I always look for your post as it is explained in a very lucid way and spot on.

Please keep enlightening us with your inputs...

Thank you vasuca10! Glad my inputs help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Bookmarks
Need your help on this.

Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.

So plan is to increase the sales(no of computers sold) by add 2 more brands which are 9th and 10th in order of popularity.

Which of the following, if true, points out a major weakness of the plan above?

(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.

(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold.

Almost all ,say 100 are sold and top 7 contribute for say 97(almost all)
now if i add brand 9th and 10th , and one each is sold ,so then also sales increased and plan is successful.How does this weaken?

(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.

Is this option incorrect just because it talks about future?(As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated)
otherwise this can be weakener.
See people anyhow are willing to buy less popular brand so adding 9th and 10th brand which are popular wont increase sales.

What is wrong with my reasoning?

(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.

(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.

This can be a weakener.
The top most brands are anyhow selling less and we are adding top most brands (9th and 10th ) so they wont b sold so no increase in sales.

Please help me where i am going wrong?
Tutor
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There is an issue that you are facing while evaluating each option - you are not reading every word carefully. I will tell you what I mean.

The store currently sells only 8 most popular brands.
It plans to increase GREATLY the NUMBER of computers it sells.

So it will add 9th and 10th number brands too in its inventory.

(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.
Top 3 computers are equivalent. This is irrelevant to our argument. All three are included anyway so there is no distinction we are making either.

(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold.
This is a problem for our plan. The top 7 brands are almost the only ones sold. So even if we add 9th and 10th number to our inventories, how will it GREATLY increase our number of computers sold. Hardly any computers of 9th and 10th brand are sold. So adding them will make barely any difference. Hence this jeopardises our plan and is the answer.

(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.
This suits our plan. It seems the sale of lesser known brands (say 9th and 10th since they are lower ranked than top 8) will be improving.
So it improves the possibility of our plan succeeding.

(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.
Note that our argument is all about number of computers sold. Profit is irrelevant. Move on.

(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.
This suits our plan. It seems the sale of less popular brands (say 9th and 10th) will be improving since the top brand (note it talks about the 1st number brand only). So it improves the possibility of our plan succeeding.

Answer(B)

vanam52923 wrote:
Need your help on this.

Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.

So plan is to increase the sales(no of computers sold) by add 2 more brands which are 9th and 10th in order of popularity.

Which of the following, if true, points out a major weakness of the plan above?

Almost all ,say 100 are sold and top 7 contribute for say 97(almost all)
now if i add brand 9th and 10th , and one each is sold ,so then also sales increased and plan is successful.How does this weaken?

Is this option incorrect just because it talks about future?(As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated)
otherwise this can be weakener.
See people anyhow are willing to buy less popular brand so adding 9th and 10th brand which are popular wont increase sales.

What is wrong with my reasoning?

This can be a weakener.
The top most brands are anyhow selling less and we are adding top most brands (9th and 10th ) so they wont b sold so no increase in sales.

Please help me where i am going wrong?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
Bookmarks
Wolves, when hunting in packs, factor in many conditions that will affect the hunt and that can tip the scales in their favor. In snow-fed winters, the wolf pack trails the herd of caribous for days till one of the animals realizes the fact, panics, tries to run and falls prey in the attempt. In warm weathers, the same pack changes its tactics; they start chasing the prey over the hard ground as soon as they spot them. It is likely that the weather-induced changes in the terrain bring about the changes in the hunting tactics of the wolves.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation offered?

A.Cold winters make wolves hungrier than usual as they need more energy to keep themselves warm under those harsh conditions.

B.The number of wolves in a pack is typically lower during the warm weather.

C.The cold air during winters is denser and harsher on the eyes, possibly slowing down the aggressive nature of the predators.

D.A herd of caribous is typically quite cautious of any possible wolf packs that could be trailing them with the intent to hunt.

E.The wolves have wide round paws that have evolved to perform like snowshoes whereas the caribous with their hoofed feet can outrun even the fastest wolf over wide plains if they have a good start.

Hi VeritasKarishma.
I am quite confused on the OA for this question.
I feel the answer should be C.
THe OA is E.

My reasoning:
Weather induced changes in terrain causes changes in tactics of wolves.

C.The cold air during winters is denser and harsher on the eyes, possibly slowing down the aggressive nature of the predators.

In winters they are not aggressive because of the difficult terrain, whereas we can infer that in warm weathers, they will be aggressive.
Hence in Warm weather, they start catching the prey as soon as they see one.
whereas in winter, due to harsh conditions, they patiently wait and follow their prey.

E.The wolves have wide round paws that have evolved to perform like snowshoes whereas the caribous with their hoofed feet can outrun even the fastest wolf over wide plains if they have a good start.

This option tells me that the wolves and the prey have evolved in accordance with the weather to survive.
Now from this point on I can't make the connection between how the weather induced changes in the TERRAIN affect the hunting patterns?

Looking forward to your reply.
Regards
Nitesh
Tutor
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/per-a-recent-survey-carried-out-in-rambo-city-capital-of-papula-count-147427.html

please explain how the ans choice is relevant ?

Quote:
Per a recent survey carried out in Rambo City, capital of Papula country, an average middle-aged person drives his or her car for two thousand miles in a year and 99% of these people own a gasoline-run car. In addition, the survey suggested that if offered an economical option to switch to electric cars, most of these people would change their gasoline-run cars. The government of Papula is impressed with the environmental considerations shown by the citizens of Papula and is planning to implement a plan that would allow all the current owners of gasoline-run cars to switch to electric cars at a minimal cost.

Which of the following statements casts the most doubt on the ability of the plan to meet its required objective of significantly reducing air pollution in Papula in the next 5 years?

A. Though some of the citizens are concerned about the negative environmental impact of air pollution, they will not spend any extra money to protect the environment.

B. The budget deficit of the government of Papula is already at alarming levels, and any further increase in the deficit could lead to the bankruptcy of the country.

C. Since Papula is an aging country, with more than half its population near retirement age, the chief consideration for a large number of its citizens is the convenience to drive rather than the costs to do so.

D. In the last two decades, Papula has emerged as a major economic hub, leading to an increase in the living standard of its citizens and in the number of cars in the region.

E. Since people who don’t own gasoline cars would not be benefitted from the proposed plan, they may strongly oppose the use of taxpayer money on such a plan.

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Celebrating-Milestones1.png

Argument:

As per a recent survey, an average middle-aged person drives his or her car for two thousand miles in a year and 99% of these people own a gasoline-run car.
In addition, the survey suggested that if offered an economical option to switch to electric cars, most of these people would change their gasoline-run cars.

Plan: Implement a plan that would allow all the current owners of gasoline-run cars to switch to electric cars at a minimal cost.

Note that the survey is talking about average middle aged people only. We don't know what part of the population they represent. But the plan is being made for "all current owners".

Objective: Significantly reducing air pollution in Papula in the next 5 years

Find the option that casts doubt on the plan:

A. Though some of the citizens are concerned about the negative environmental impact of air pollution, they will not spend any extra money to protect the environment.
Some citizens could mean very few citizens. Also, are these "some citizens" gasoline car owners - we don't know. So this doesn't directly impact our plan.

B. The budget deficit of the government of Papula is already at alarming levels, and any further increase in the deficit could lead to the bankruptcy of the country.
Irrelevant to our argument.

C. Since Papula is an aging country, with more than half its population near retirement age, the chief consideration for a large number of its citizens is the convenience to drive rather than the costs to do so.
Here is the twist. More than half the population of Papula is near retirement. So the middle age people we talked about forms a smaller part of the population. This casts a doubt on our plan - we don't know what the older people feel about switching. For this older generation, convenience is more important than cost. The parameter on which the older generation judges is different than the one on which the middle aged people judge. The plan is being made keeping the parameter of middle aged people in mind. This again casts doubt on the success of the plan.

D. In the last two decades, Papula has emerged as a major economic hub, leading to an increase in the living standard of its citizens and in the number of cars in the region.
In the last two decades, number of cars has increased. But we are planning to replace all gasoline run cars so it doesn't matter what the actual number of cars is.

E. Since people who don’t own gasoline cars would not be benefitted from the proposed plan, they may strongly oppose the use of taxpayer money on such a plan.
Irrelevant to our argument.

Answer (C)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
Bookmarks
Clarita – an electronic-chip manufacturer conducting a thorough quality testing for its chips including a Shape Assurance test (SA) - plans to increase its revenue by increasing its production. Accordingly, a manager has reasoned that the SA test can be done away with, ensuring savings to double the production capacity. The company reasons that its chips are embedded inside radios, and so the shape won’t matter for a functional chip. However, the CEO disagrees with this proposal and says that implementing the proposal would harm the company’s plans for increasing revenue.

Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best support for the CEO’s stance?

A.Some of the chips found defective in the Shape Test may be identified as functionally defective without the need to send them for the Functional Test.

B.Leading radio manufacturers use an intricate internal design for their radios in which the design and form factor of each component is predecided and any deviation in the specifications of the supplied products would lead to an immediate termination of all relations with the supplier

C.When any kind of quality assurance test is removed in an organisation, workers tend to become lenient in their adherence to the work processes.

D.On a typical day, the overlap between the group of chips found defective in a shape assurance test and the chips found defective in a functional test is hardly considerable.

E.A rival chip manufacturing company has reported a slight increase in the number of chips it could produce in any given day after the removal of the Shape Test from its batch of Quality Assurance tests.

HI VeritasKarishma

Can you please help me with this question?
The OA is B.

but in order for it to be a strengthener we have to make significant assumptions such as the chips were used in the radios and the company was trading with the the LEADING manufacturers.

But when I look on Option C, it seems more of a direct strengthener.
If the workers become more lenient in work processes, the quality of the chips may suffer and hence the company may not be able to increase its revenue.

Regards
Nitesh
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
Clarita – an electronic-chip manufacturer conducting a thorough quality testing for its chips including a Shape Assurance test (SA) - plans to increase its revenue by increasing its production. Accordingly, a manager has reasoned that the SA test can be done away with, ensuring savings to double the production capacity. The company reasons that its chips are embedded inside radios, and so the shape won’t matter for a functional chip. However, the CEO disagrees with this proposal and says that implementing the proposal would harm the company’s plans for increasing revenue.

Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best support for the CEO’s stance?

A.Some of the chips found defective in the Shape Test may be identified as functionally defective without the need to send them for the Functional Test.

B.Leading radio manufacturers use an intricate internal design for their radios in which the design and form factor of each component is predecided and any deviation in the specifications of the supplied products would lead to an immediate termination of all relations with the supplier

C.When any kind of quality assurance test is removed in an organisation, workers tend to become lenient in their adherence to the work processes.

D.On a typical day, the overlap between the group of chips found defective in a shape assurance test and the chips found defective in a functional test is hardly considerable.

E.A rival chip manufacturing company has reported a slight increase in the number of chips it could produce in any given day after the removal of the Shape Test from its batch of Quality Assurance tests.

HI VeritasKarishma

Can you please help me with this question?
The OA is B.

but in order for it to be a strengthener we have to make significant assumptions such as the chips were used in the radios and the company was trading with the the LEADING manufacturers.

But when I look on Option C, it seems more of a direct strengthener.
If the workers become more lenient in work processes, the quality of the chips may suffer and hence the company may not be able to increase its revenue.

Regards
Nitesh

Clarita manufactures and tests its chips.
A manager has suggested to do away from Shape test ensuring savings to increase capacity.
The company says that since chips are put inside radios, shape doesn't matter as long as the chip functions
CEO says that implementing the proposal would harm the company’s plans for increasing revenue.

We need to support the CEO's stance.

This directly supports the CEO's stance. The big names in radio manufacturers use exact shaped chips so shape test is needed. Any deviation will lead to termination of all relations. So the revenue could suffer or may not increase since the company's chips are used in radios (given in the argument). Even if the company is not dealing with leading manufacturers right now, it plans to expand and it's logical that it will look at business with big names.

We don't know what non-adherence to work processes would do. Will it impact revenue? we can't say. We need the option to impact revenue. Option (B) certainly does a much better job of showing us how revenue will be impacted.

Answer (B)
Tutor
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
Waste management companies, which collect waste for disposal in landfills and incineration plants, report that disposable plastics make up an ever-increasing percentage of the waste they handle. It is clear that attempts to decrease the amount of plastic that people throw away in the garbage are failing.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
(A) Because plastics create harmful pollutants when burned, an increasing percentage of the plastics handled by waste management companies are being disposed of in landfills.
(B) Although many plastics are recyclable, most of the plastics disposed of by waste management companies are not.
(C) People are more likely to save and reuse plastic containers than containers made of heavier materials like glass or metal.
(D) An increasing proportion of the paper, glass, and metal cans that waste management companies used to handle is now being recycled.
(E) While the percentage of products using plastic packaging is increasing, the total amount of plastic being manufactured has remained unchanged

Hi VeritasKarishma

Conclusion: The amount of plastic that people throw is increasing.
Premise: The proportion of plastic is increasing.

Pre thinking:
What if the total amount of the waste has decreased.
Assumption: The total waste has not decreased.

Challenges to this assumption:
the amount of other waste has reduced.
the amount of total waste has reduced.

The OA is D in this question.

But in order for this option to weaken the argument we have to assume that the the amount of other waste materials is not increasing.
Just because the proportion is increasing we cant say that the amount is also increasing.

For eg:
Previously
If other material: 100
Recycled: 50
Companies handled: 50 (50%)

Today
If other material: 200
Recycled:120
Companies handled: 80(40%)

Hence inspite the increase in the proportion of recycled material, the amount of materials companies handle will increase.

In such a case:
Previously
Total materials: 100
Plastic:50
Others:50

Today:
total materials: 170
Plastic: 90
Others:80

this will then strength the argument.

Now one could object to this argument that a statement need to only weaken the argument by 1%.
But, if a statement has a varied impact on the argument, then definitely the option is incorrect.

SO what am I missing in this question?

Looking forward to your reply

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh,

See here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/waste-manage ... l#p2187456

Option (D) does not have a varied impact on the conclusion. It makes you doubt the conclusion. Based on the fact that plastic is making up a higher percentage of waste, you are assuming that people are not reducing plastic disposal. But if you are told that more of the other stuff is being recycled, it gives you a reason to doubt your conclusion. Perhaps people are reducing plastic disposal. Perhaps the other waste is reducing at a faster speed since a lot of it is getting recycled now.
Tutor
Send PM