GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 23:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:42) correct 58% (02:00) wrong based on 636 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colours.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?

(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well
(C) Peter Lee's first novel was set in San Francisco
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 00:17
temuchin wrote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colours.

(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does

Premises:
If the reviewer knows the city well, she must see that the writer knows the city as well as the reviewer to trust the author and the tale. This maker her enjoy a good novel more.
Lee's second novel is set in SF and in this novel too, as in his first, he passes the reviewer's test - i.e. he knows the city in which the tale is set as well as the reviewer.

No. If she trusts the author, she trusts the tale which increases her enjoyment of a GOOD tale. If the tale is not good, she may not like it - we don't know.

The argument doesn't tell us what she does in case she herself doesn't know the city. So we cannot infer this.

Not given in the argument.

Again, the argument doesn't tell us what she does in case she herself doesn't know the city. So we cannot infer this.

Since Lee passes the test with flying colors, it means he knows SF as well as the reviewer. So the reviewer does not believe that she knows SF better than Lee. This is correct. We can infer this.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 May 2014, 01:18
Hi

Let us try to understand the argument first:

Let A = Book reviewer knows the city well
B = novel shows that the story teller knows the city as much as the Book reviewer does.

CASE 1: If A AND B-> take the story teller seriously -> trust the story teller & trust the tale -> increase enjoyment level of a good novel

CASE 2: If A AND NOT B -> do not trust the story teller

The book reviewer uses the above to test story tellers. It should be noted that the test does not address anything about scenarios where the book reviewer does not know a city well.

Lets analyze the last statement: Peter Lee's second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colours.
This means that Peter Lee wrote 2 novels. The second book is set in San Francisco. Lee passes the book reviewer's test in both first and second book.

This means:
Book 2: Set in San Francisco. Passes book reviewer's test (i.e. CASE 1). Therefore, the book reviewer knows San Francisco. The story teller knows San Francisco as much as the Book reviewer does.
Book 1: Set in some city. Passes book reviewer's test (i.e. CASE 1). Therefore, the book reviewer knows the city. The story teller knows the city as much as the Book reviewer does.

With this understanding, let us evaluate the options:

The book reviewer says "This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel".
1. "this trust" talks about the particular trust that is gained when the story teller demonstrates that he knows the city as much as the book reviewer does.
2. "good novel" implies that the above trust -> increase enjoyment level when the novel is good. The statement does not address the scenario where the book reviewer does not consider a novel as good.
So cant infer Option A

(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well.
The option confuses necessary & sufficient conditions. The book reviewer says "When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller". It does not say that Only when the novelist demonstrates the knowledge does he trust the story teller.
If X-> Y, we cant say that if Y occurs then X must have occured unless there is no other factor Z-> Y

Wrong interpretation. Book reviewer knew the city but that does not mean that it has to be San Francisco.

Cannot be inferred.
If X-> Y, we cant say that if X has not occurred Y will not occur since some other factor Z -> Y

Correct answer. Peter's second novel that is set in San Francisco passes the book reviewer's test (i.e. CASE 1 - A AND B). Therefore B has occurred i.e. The story teller knows the city as much as the book reviewer does. Therefore, the book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter does.

Originally posted by ab2014 on 21 May 2014, 00:51.
Last edited by ab2014 on 21 May 2014, 01:18, edited 4 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 00:56
Solved it in less than a minute.
If you read between lines, Options A, B and D are extreme options.
Look for the words 'ONLY', 'ANY' etc.
Generally, the extreme statements are not correct in GMAT.
Option C is picked from the argument. (remember it's an inference question).

Hence, option E is correct.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 04:58
DesiGmat wrote:

Good job. I crossed out A, C, D in 30 seconds, but did not pick the correct choice. :( Between B and E, I went with B.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 00:31
Isn't this rule valid only for RC? In CR, I saw many answers that have subjunctives correct.

DesiGmat wrote:

Middle of nowhere!

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Book Review Question totally don't understand the OA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 00:17
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.
(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts.
(B) If the book reviewer trusts the novelist as a storyteller, the novel in question must be set in a city the book reviewer knows well.
(C) Peter Lee’s first novel was set in San Francisco.
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well.
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does.

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Book Review Question totally don't understand the OA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 02:57
YangYichen wrote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.

(A) The book reviewer enjoys virtually any novel written by a novelist whom she trusts.
(D) The book reviewer does not trust any novel set in a city that she does not know well.
(E) The book reviewer does not believe that she knows San Francisco better than Peter Lee does.

Story teller knows the city as much as Reviewer knows the city----> Trust the story Teller & Story---->Enjoy reading the Novel.
Fake Story Teller -------------> No trust in the story teller.

Among the given options only (E) flows from the passage...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 03:35
Abhishek009 wrote:
YangYichen wrote:

Story teller knows the city as much as Reviewer knows the city----> Trust the story Teller & Story---->Enjoy reading the Novel.
Fake Story Teller -------------> No trust in the story teller.

Among the given options only (E) flows from the passage...

but the reviewer only say Lee knows the city as well as he does. it can't be inferred that he knows the city less than Lee.

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 03:48
YangYichen wrote:
but the reviewer only say Lee knows the city as well as he does. it can't be inferred that he knows the city less than Lee.

Consider the highlighted part carefully here -

Quote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well,I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.

If Knowledge of Lee > Knowledge of Reviewer
If Knowledge of Lee < Knowledge of Reviewer

If Knowledge of Lee = Knowledge of Reviewer

So, you see the scenario gets restricted to only the 3rd scenario, any any deviation from it can not be inferred...

Check option (E)

Option (E) negates the possibility of scenario 2 , hence this clearly follows from the stimulus and we can correctly infer this....

Hope this helps !!

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 19:09
Abhishek009 wrote:
YangYichen wrote:

Consider the highlighted part carefully here -

Quote:
Book Review: When I read a novel set in a city I know well,I must see that the writer knows the city as well as I do if I am to take that writer seriously. If the writer is faking, I know immediately and do not trust the writer. When a novelist demonstrates the required knowledge, I trust the story teller, so I trust the tale. This trust increases my enjoyment of a good novel. Peter Lee’s second novel is set in San Francisco, in this novel, as in his first, Lee passes my test with flying colors.

If Knowledge of Lee > Knowledge of Reviewer
If Knowledge of Lee < Knowledge of Reviewer

If Knowledge of Lee = Knowledge of Reviewer

So, you see the scenario gets restricted to only the 3rd scenario, any any deviation from it can not be inferred...

Check option (E)

Option (E) negates the possibility of scenario 2 , hence this clearly follows from the stimulus and we can correctly infer this....

Hope this helps !!

oh I see now! this helps a lot many thanks! :twisted:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 23:05
temuchin wrote:

My answer is C
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 11:12
VeritasKarishma wrote:
temuchin wrote:

Premises:
If the reviewer knows the city well, she must see that the writer knows the city as well as the reviewer to trust the author and the tale. This maker her enjoy a good novel more.
Lee's second novel is set in SF and in this novel too, as in his first, he passes the reviewer's test - i.e. he knows the city in which the tale is set as well as the reviewer.

No. If she trusts the author, she trusts the tale which increases her enjoyment of a GOOD tale. If the tale is not good, she may not like it - we don't know.

The argument doesn't tell us what she does in case she herself doesn't know the city. So we cannot infer this.

Not given in the argument.

Again, the argument doesn't tell us what she does in case she herself doesn't know the city. So we cannot infer this.

Since Lee passes the test with flying colors, it means he knows SF as well as the reviewer. So the reviewer does not believe that she knows SF better than Lee. This is correct. We can infer this.

Answer (E)

Your explanation is soo on point.

This is a very tricky question where one has to take note of keywords. I chose B, but can now see why E is correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2018, 11:12

When I read a novel set in a city I know well, I must see

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap