GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2014
Posts: 41
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Dec 2018, 04:22
7
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:06) correct 40% (01:08) wrong based on 1034 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states. This will reduce the amount of damage caused to wildlife in that region. After Canada introduced laws against that practice, there was a fourfold increase in population rates of many affected species.

What role do the bolded phrases play in the passage above?


A The first phrase states the author’s premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise.

B The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position.

C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy.

D The first phrase states the author’s conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion.

E The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position.

_________________

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"


Originally posted by Subanta on 08 Jul 2015, 08:04.
Last edited by Bunuel on 19 Dec 2018, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2014
Posts: 41
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 10:14
3
2
Patronus wrote:
A The first phrase states the author’s premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise. - First is the conclusion, and second is more like example.
B The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position. - CORRECT.
C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy. - Second is not a conclusion
D The first phrase states the author’s conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion. - Second supports the 1st Bold Face.
E The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position. - If it were an analogy, it should have just said "The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states..... like Canada did". That's it.
If the 1st AND 2nd sentences were underlined, then I could have marked E as a perfect analogy. So I feel either the bold face is not correctly done, or the OA is doubtful.

Please post the OE to help understand.


There was no OE, but I will try my best to explain the answer. The bolded phrases have been correctly marked and the OA provided is also correct.

[*]The first bolded phrase is a statement made by the author, which is more of an assertion than a conclusion and so Options A, C and D are eliminated.

[*]For the second bolded phrase, the author talks about an effect that happened in Canada and not the US. A law in the US cannot be the cause for an effect in Canada.
This is more of an analogy that a similar law was implemented in a different country and it supports the authors initial bolded phrase (Read the second part of Option E : The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position.)
Eliminate B. Correct answer is E.

I hope my explanation was of help to you.
_________________

Kudos = Thanks

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2014
Posts: 138
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 08:49
A The first phrase states the author’s premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise. - First is the conclusion, and second is more like example.
B The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position. - CORRECT.
C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy. - Second is not a conclusion
D The first phrase states the author’s conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion. - Second supports the 1st Bold Face.
E The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position. - If it were an analogy, it should have just said "The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states..... like Canada did". That's it.
If the 1st AND 2nd sentences were underlined, then I could have marked E as a perfect analogy. So I feel either the bold face is not correctly done, or the OA is doubtful.

Please post the OE to help understand.
_________________

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2014
Posts: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 22:48
I marked B. Isn't the second boldface a causal relationship?
Cause: Canada introduced laws against that practice
Effect: There was a fourfold increase in population rates of many affected species
Effect we want: Reduce the amount of damage caused to wildlife in the Pacific Northwest states
Hence, the government must consider legislation banning deforestation.
_________________

Kudos please if I helped you! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 359
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 02:26
the second statement doesnt effect from the first.It is an analogy!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 168
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 19:33
To me (B) is correct as well as it (a) has a causal relationship and (b) strengthens the author's position.

Could experts please advice?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 21:16
1
manhasnoname wrote:
To me (B) is correct as well as it (a) has a causal relationship and (b) strengthens the author's position.

Could experts please advice?


I am in agreement with your point. B does not state that the causal relationship is between the Canada case and the US case (i.e Canada case is the cause and the US case is the effect). If it did so, then option B would be incorrect. A causal relation within the Canada case does not make option B incorrect.

Moreover the word "author's" should have been "advocate's".
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2600
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 14:25
1
1
Subanta wrote:
U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states. This will reduce the amount of damage caused to wildlife in that region. After Canada introduced laws against that practice, there was a fourfold increase in population rates of many affected species.

What role do the bolded phrases play in the passage above?

A The first phrase states the author’s premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise.
B The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position.
C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy.
D The first phrase states the author’s conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion.
E The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position.


first thing first - the conclusion is the first statement.
A/C are out right away.

second - the statements do not contradict each other
D is out.

we are left with B and E.
we clearly don't have a cause-effect relationship, rather an analogy...as a matter of fact, I don't see here any cause-effect at all.

E seems better.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 5
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 23:12
To me (B) is correct as well as it (a) has a causal relationship and (b) strengthens the author's position.

Could experts please advice?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 82
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 05:08
I see a cause and effect relationship in this question and I think B is correct.
The explanations provided by people in this post are not convincing.
Please help
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 612
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 22:35
Answer should be E.

First of all lets understand what is casual relationship.
A causes B to happen.- this is an casual relationship
Now coming to Anology,
Two different things treated as same.
That is A causes B since C caused B. Anology is used between A and C. that is here these two different things are treated as same .
Now coming to the question -
1st is the position of the author.
2nd is a casual relation ship ? = no way it is used as an anology for the US state with Canada. That is the main purpose of mentioning that premise.

So answer is E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 03:25
From what I understand, as per US-EA the mere consideration (not implementation) of a legislation banning deforestation will reduce the amount of damage.

As per option B: the second phrase contains a causal relationship. There is a causal relationship within the last sentence, cause=Canada introduced, effect=increase in population. Now, how does this support the first sentence?

As per option E: second phrase provides an analogy. Now, an analogy is a comparison between one thing and another made for the purpose of explanation or clarification. Assuming the comparison here is between Canada and US, the author says what happened in Canada will hold true for US.

Although I marked B, I think both options are correct and E is a slightly better option than B.
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1363
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 06:44
Subanta wrote:
U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states. This will reduce the amount of damage caused to wildlife in that region. After Canada introduced laws against that practice, there was a fourfold increase in population rates of many affected species.

What role do the bolded phrases play in the passage above?


A The first phrase states the author’s premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise.
B The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position.
C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy.
D The first phrase states the author’s conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion.
E The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position.


BF1 : Author's position clearly : A, C, and D are out.

BF2 : Author shows an analogy by providing an example of Canada to support his position. B is out.

Hence E.
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8787
Location: Pune, India
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 04:14
1
Subanta wrote:
U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation banning deforestation in the Pacific Northwest states. This will reduce the amount of damage caused to wildlife in that region. After Canada introduced laws against that practice, there was a fourfold increase in population rates of many affected species.

What role do the bolded phrases play in the passage above?

A The first phrase states the author’s premise and the second phrase is the conclusion based on the premise.
B The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase contains a causal relationship supporting the position.
C The first phrase presents an analogy and the second phrase expresses a conclusion based on the analogy.
D The first phrase states the author’s conclusion and the second phrase reveals information that undermines the conclusion.
E The first phrase states the author’s position and the second phrase provides an analogy supporting this position.



The first bold sentence is what the Advocate wants to say - the point he wants to put across. Hence it can be called his position or conclusion. It is certainly not a premise which is a statement that supports the conclusion.
Hence, (B), (D) and (E) are the only possibilities.

The second bold statement is an analogy presented showing how a similar action in another country led to the desired effect. So it supports the conclusion.
It does not present a causal relationship. Note that just because it happened in Canada, it cannot be called a causal relationship. A causal relationship would be something like "A causes B". What is given to you is "in case of Canada, A caused B". This is a specific example supporting our conclusion or we can call it an analogy (comparing similarities - this is what happened in Canada so it could happen here too).
Hence, out of (B), (D) and (E), only (E) works.

Answer (E)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT Club Bot
Re: U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation &nbs [#permalink] 19 Dec 2018, 04:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

U.S. Environmental Advocate: The government must consider legislation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.