Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51457 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4892 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64980 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep Next Gen CAT *new* [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Zarrolou wrote:
Hi guys! I just finished the test and here is my review

Quant:
The quant section overall was good, I got every type of question (Combinatorics, Abs Values, Geometry,Sets,...) and I finished with 4-5 minutes left on the clock.
I had 22 PS and 15 DS evenly distributed during the exam, I cannot comment on the level of difficulty because in the "review screen" you only read the % of people who got the question right: I am not able to link the % to the 500-800 level. It would be nice to see the level though in the review screen as you do in the MGMAT's test.
My only complain involves the fact that a lot of questions involved calculus. Not like our GmatClub's Cats or MGMAT's, that tests mainly concepts and that do not require (generally speaking) a lot of old fashion math to be solved, throughout this Cat I felt like I was doing a lot of calculus. If you don't know the patterns of the exponents (ie that 3^18 has the same digit as 7^18) or some "obscure" properties, the only way to solve a question is to write down every combination (of course); but my critisism is mainly cause by some "median/mean" questions: there were no ways to solve them besides doing some operations (not always immediate) on your sketch paper.
But mine could be an isolated case.

Verbal:
I got 12 CR, 14 RC and 15 SC. This time were not evenly distributed: i got all the 14 RCs in the first 20. All my RC's passages were technical; using the Veritas Prep's terminology I had a lot of 'M' (= Method of Reasoning) in my CR considering the S.W.I.M. split (very few Weaken and Strengthen question, very common in my other Cats).
I liked a lot the SCs, I understood a pair of concepts that were not clear to me ( "independent clause" for example) thanks to this test.
I finished this part with 10-8 minutes on the clock, but looking back I rushed a couple of answers, so the relation time/difficulty was not prohibitive.
The same problem %-level problem applies here as well, but is clearly not related to the quality of the Cat: it's just a thing that would make the user's experience better.

Accuracy:
pretty good! I got a 730 (Q50,V40) which is very close to my last GmatPrep score. So under this point of view, good job Veritas Prep!
(BTW I have not given my Gmat yet so no offical score)

Thank you for the feedback. It will help us add even more value.

I would like to add a couple of points about the Quant section:

1. Here at Veritas, we strongly believe that you need minimal calculations to answer GMAT questions. We keep that in mind while making all our questions. Very rarely will you find a question where long calculations are a must so I am a little surprised that you thought the questions were calculation-intensive. Is it possible that you missed out on a few tricks? Perhaps you would like to review and find out whether there are more efficient methods available to solve the same questions. It is a trick used by GMAC too - the questions look calculation intensive but they just involve some tricks. (Though at Q50, I don't think you would have missed too many tricks.) I will be glad to help you out on the mean/median questions with which you are dissatisfied in case they do have some elusive component.

2. Also, you don't need to 'know' any obscure properties. Since you are expected to understand cyclicity, you are expected to 'figure out' that \(3^{4n+2}\) and \(7^{4m+2}\) have the same units digit.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for the thorough debrief, Zarrolou!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 05-24-2013
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I took the veritas free test today.Here is my analysis.

IR: Few of the questions were taken directly from the Quant section so was a little disappointed as this was the first test i gave the test with the IR, wanted to see more graphs,multi-source reasoning questions,but having said so the questions were well distributed and i faced three two-parts questions here which resembled the Quant part as mentioned earlier.

Quant:Found it tough, but to be frank i am weak at Quant still struggling to pass Q45, got Q40 on the test.Finished it 3 minutes before.Some of the questions were new to me and i could not apply concepts already learned, happy because could see my weakness in geometry,factorials.Plenty to learn.Some questions were very straightforward without spending much time could solve them.One Word problem took me 4-5 minutes was very confused with the wording. Summing up Quant had good pool of questions.

Verbal:Was easier than Gmatprep and the OG for sure, many of the questions i encountered were simply face change questions from the OG.The had same line of thought and so found them very easy to tackle.Was hugely disappointed to get 2/4 passages very similar to OG 12 Passages again with certain word shifts, wished had got some new passages but my luck.SC questions were easier than that on Gmatprep.Saw good number of inference questions and a parallel reasoning question-but the parallel reasoning question was familiar to me as it was from one of the articles of David(veritas prep instructor). Got V40 but dont know how to judge my score as i was familiar with few questions:(, i finished Verbal with more than 10 minutes left on the clock.

Overall got 680 Q40 V40. IR as wasnt prepared much was horrible for me, got 4 out of 12 right. :(
For AWA i followed the outline i found on the club,made my task very easy.
The explanations given are pretty good.Also though i found Verbal easier than the Gmatprep, there were few very tricky questions.Overall while doing the analysis got to learn a lot.

Job Well done by the Veritas team
Thanks
Samvit
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I took the test on Wednesday. I was busy with the analysis so, am late for the feedback.

IR - I agree with Samvit. Around 4 questions were quant and I was not expecting it.

Quant- I was pretty happy with Quant. The questions were at par with those of GMAT. The mix of problems (in terms of topic) were spread out.

Verbal - I am still not sure of Verbal Section. I received 3 passages with 5 questions each, normally we get 4 passages on GMAT. Also, I got a lot of CR questions Initially and at the end got 9 SC problems continuously, making the section a little easy. I felt CR was a bit tough (I may be weak at it :oops: ). I am not sure on the verbal score. I got 16 incorrect still I scored 40 (difficult to digest as I have hardly crossed 34 on any mock before :cry: ). I wonder whether I should be happy with my verbal effort :!:

The highlight of the test was that almost all the problems were fresh. I have practiced a lot of questions but found only 2 questions (solved earlier) on the mock test.

Overall, the test experience was great.

Great Job Veritas team.. :good
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
This is my very first venture into GMAT and I was doing it essentially to see what kind of challenge I had ahead of me - so no useful analysis I'm afraid. If the test is accurate, it was an interesting experience and a useful one - very user friendly and clearly well researched. I definitely have work to do on the quant side and will have to get out my old geometry books. On the verbal reasoning, I found the sequencing of questioning a bit bizarre, i think I had ten sentence corrections in a row at the end, which got a bit brain-numbing. I assume your percentiles are based purely on the people who have taken the test to date. Anyway, 630 overall, dragged up by a score of 41 in the VR.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
quixx23 wrote:
We're eager to hear everyone's feedback. Please let us know what you think!

Hi Scott,
First-Thanks a ton for this new venture...! Is there any time frame by which we need to access this test ? (I wish there isn;t any :))

Now let's come to my query- actually I've few veritas books purchased last year end and accordingly have access to five Veritas online CATs. So,are the questions will be similar to that in this NEW CAT ?(I guess,it's brand NEW with all questions fresh out of veritas oven)

Is there any overlap of questions between Veritas Quiz bank and this NEW CAT?

Much appreciate your feedback.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for all the feedback everybody! I'm glad you're all finding it useful. Please keep it coming!

debayan222 wrote:
Hi Scott,
First-Thanks a ton for this new venture...! Is there any time frame by which we need to access this test ? (I wish there isn;t any :))

Now let's come to my query- actually I've few veritas books purchased last year end and accordingly have access to five Veritas online CATs. So,are the questions will be similar to that in this NEW CAT ?(I guess,it's brand NEW with all questions fresh out of veritas oven)

The questions in this new CAT are all ones that have been vetted in our Quiz Bank, but they've been moved over to the CAT now that we know they're good. So you shouldn't see any overlap between the two.

And there's no timeframe on this CAT right now - take it whenever you're ready!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
VeritasPrepJeremy wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback everybody! I'm glad you're all finding it useful. Please keep it coming!

debayan222 wrote:
Hi Scott,

The questions in this new CAT are all ones that have been vetted in our Quiz Bank, but they've been moved over to the CAT now that we know they're good. So you shouldn't see any overlap between the two.

And there's no timeframe on this CAT right now - take it whenever you're ready!

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the reply.Great to know that there won't be any overlap between Quiz bank and New CAT!

But it would be really great if you please shed some light on the fact that is there any match between your OLDER CATS(used to come with the purchase of Veritas books) and the new one?

Regarding time frame, I plan to take the CAT in next 2-3 months down the line..so I think the new one still be available as it's now?

Appreciate your response.
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the reply.Great to know that there won't be any overlap between Quiz bank and New CAT!

But it would be really great if you please shed some light on the fact that is there any match between your OLDER CATS(used to come with the purchase of Veritas books) and the new one?

Regarding time frame, I plan to take the CAT in next 2-3 months down the line..so I think the new one still be available as it's now?

I'm not really sure about questions from the older CATs to be honest. So to be safe, I'll say that it IS possible you could see some overlap there - but I wouldn't worry about it too much. We've added a bunch of brand-new questions in the 7 months that the Question Bank has been running, and even if you get one or two freebies that you have seen before, our algorithm does a pretty good job of correcting for these false positives - much like the real GMAT does!

So if any old questions do pop up (and again, I don't know for sure), it shouldn't affect the overall experience or final score much, if at all.

As to the time frame, we have no plans to take this down or change it in the next 2-3 months (other than making it better of course!), so you should be fine!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
VeritasPrepJeremy wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

I'm not really sure about questions from the older CATs to be honest. So to be safe, I'll say that it IS possible you could see some overlap there - but I wouldn't worry about it too much. We've added a bunch of brand-new questions in the 7 months that the Question Bank has been running, and even if you get one or two freebies that you have seen before, our algorithm does a pretty good job of correcting for these false positives - much like the real GMAT does!

So if any old questions do pop up (and again, I don't know for sure), it shouldn't affect the overall experience or final score much, if at all.

As to the time frame, we have no plans to take this down or change it in the next 2-3 months (other than making it better of course!), so you should be fine!

Much Thanks Jeremy...Really appreciate your reply.

+1 man!
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
I have 15 practice questions...is there any difference between those test and the new one. One mopre question, If i am not wrong are all the veritas prep cat adaptive.

Archit
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
I have 15 practice questions...is there any difference between those test and the new one. One mopre question, If i am not wrong are all the veritas prep cat adaptive.

Archit

Dude,
Let me guess...you wanted to mean 15 CATs that come with Veritas course..right?
Well, if that so then please see Jeremy's reply to my post just above yours.

Now to your 2nd qs-Yup they are all adaptive so far I know but as they say this a brand NEW CAT from Veritas...

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

Archit

Dude,
Let me guess...you wanted to mean 15 CATs that come with Veritas course..right?
Well, if that so then please see Jeremy's reply to my post just above yours.

Now to your 2nd qs-Yup they are all adaptive so far I know but as they say this a brand NEW CAT from Veritas...

Hope it helps.

Thanks maan
that is bit ignorant on my part...good..I think the new CAT is just experiment and they need to do a lot of changes.....
well i haven't taken one yet...but one of my acquintances has, and he presented some strange facts...lyk a thread of 9 sc questions and so....

Archit
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archit143 wrote:
Thanks maan
that is bit ignorant on my part...good..I think the new CAT is just experiment and they need to do a lot of changes.....
well i haven't taken one yet...but one of my acquintances has, and he presented some strange facts...lyk a thread of 9 sc questions and so....

Archit

Hi Archit,

This new CAT isn't just an experiment - it's a reflection of our philosophy to think like the testmaker. We think it's already a very sophisticated and accurate exam - even with some of the threads of questions that people have been reporting - but we're still working on making it even better.

I encourage you to give it a shot and let us know what you think!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Here is my analysis:

Quant: Level of the questions in pair with those of other sources, perhaps a bit calculation demanding.
Verbal: SC and RC of fair level. CR way too difficult and in some cases questionable answers.
IR: Frankly I cannot compare to anything else.
Algorithm: I scored 730 (q 50 V 40) IR 4, quite similar to other CATs I've done. 5 Mistakes in quant, 13 mistakes in verbal. The algorithm has to be wrong in IR, providing I answered correctly to 10 out of 12 questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi everyone,

My experience so far:

Past GMAT CATs:
- 6+ MGMAT CATs- 660-690, Q46-47, V35-38 (last three months)
- Grockit - Q51-55 :roll: , V35-38
- GMATPrep CATs - 710-720, Q49, V38 (4-6 weeks ago)
- Real GMAT - 710, Q49, V38 (1 month ago)
After private tutoring:
- MGMAT Reset - Q49, V41(many repeats) (1 week ago)
- KAPLAN CAT 1 - 730, Q51(was definitely easier), V34(RCs where even the queen would say the english is her queen's english :P )
- GMATPrep Reset 740 - Q49, V41(repeats)
- Veritas Free CAT - 680, Q49(13 incorrect), V35(4 out of first 6 wrong :shock: , 19 incorrect) :cry:

Exam conditions: In the afternoon at a library after some verbal practice this morning.

Quant: Got many incorrect near the end(5 out of last 10). Did feel like the difficulty picked up in last 10 questions. Finished in time. Felt stumped on many questions.
Verbal: Strange pattern. Lots of CRs in the beginning. RCs with decent language but many question per RC. First SC at 12th question. Many SCs towards the end.
Good user interface.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.13
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi,

I just signed up for a Veritas prep course several weeks ago. I had not been to the class yet, but wanted access to the tests before my first test. I plan to take the test again after I finish the course.

Although I cannot remember precise differences between the tests, I have taken three CATs in last three weeks and got somewhat similar scores.

GMATPrep 680, Q47, V36 (07/20/13)
Veritas Official Prep Practice Test 680, Q47, V37 (07/27/13)
Real GMAT 710, Q45, V41 (08/03/13)

My general feel is that I feel that Quant was easier on Veritas than the real GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2