Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [52]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [8]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [8]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
General Discussion
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [5]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plas [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
miro wrote:
What's wrong with Option B?

B says:
The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world with nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass,
I says ocean is made up of 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass - that changes the meaning!!
I hope it helps! :ninja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plas [#permalink]
How is the meaning different from Option A. If I am reading this correctly, Option A is suggesting the same thing.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
What is the source?

I found a link to the article written two days ago from where the original statement is taken.
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
In option B, plastic content % ambiguously refers to 'world' hence IMO best answer should be A.
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [4]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world.

Analysis of original Statement :

"With nearly .... ","North Pacific ocean is ....
With phrase correctly modifying North pacific ocean.

No errors

POE.
A. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world.

B. The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world with nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass,
Incorrect - Meaning is daunted , percentage seems to modify World.

C. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles along with 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world
Incorrect - Repeated "With". Meaning changed

D. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean constitutes as the more polluted ocean in the world
Incorrect : "the North Pacific Ocean constitutes as the more polluted ocean in the world"

E. The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world, it containing nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass
Incorrect "Connection error"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [3]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A
A. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world. - with modifies the whole second clause
B. The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world with nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, With modifies only "world"--there should be a comma before with
C. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles along with 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world - Repeat with not correct
D. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean constitutes as the more polluted ocean in the world constitutes is used incorrectly
E. The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world, it containing nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass no connection with subject
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Ralphcuisak wrote:
whats wrong with C guys?

C. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles along with 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world
hi,
if i writei, along with my friends,wentto market.. here my friends modifies 'i' and is nonessential info...
similarily in this sentence first it will modify plastic particles .. and most importantly requires comma and makes 35.8%of plastic mass' non essential info..
therefore C is wrong...
hope it helps

Hi,
does "along with" always have to be preceded by a comma??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
Concentration: Operations, Other
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Ralphcuisak wrote:
whats wrong with C guys?

hi,
if i writei, along with my friends,wentto market.. here my friends modifies 'i' and is nonessential info...
similarily in this sentence first it will modify plastic particles .. and most importantly requires comma and makes 35.8%of plastic mass' non essential info..
therefore C is wrong...
hope it helps

In C it is 'NP ocean', it should be 'the NP ocean'
so A is a better choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
oishik wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Ralphcuisak wrote:
whats wrong with C guys?

hi,
therefore C is wrong...
hope it helps

In C it is 'NP ocean', it should be 'the NP ocean'
so A is a better choice

I don't think NP ocean is incorrect.
NP ocean vs. the NP ocean - this is not a typical GMAT error
The reason for elimination of C is the use of along with

Apples along with mangoes - CORRECT
With Apples along with Mangoes - INCORRECT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
e is wrong because "it" is unclear pronoun.
it can not refer to the subject of previous clause.

very hard to realize this point
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
apoorv601 wrote:
A
A. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world. - with modifies the whole second clause
B. The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world with nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, With modifies only "world"--there should be a comma before with
C. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles along with 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world - Repeat with not correct
D. With nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass, the North Pacific Ocean constitutes as the more polluted ocean in the world constitutes is used incorrectly
E. The North Pacific Ocean is the most polluted ocean in the world, it containing nearly 38 per cent of plastic particles and 35.8 per cent of plastic mass no connection with subject

Hello,

Can you please elaborate on how the "with" phrase modifies the entire clause.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
BY POE
I came down to A & C , Eliminated C because of "along" .Then it was A for me.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts