Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't have any suggestion to this kind of problem
Just want to share that I have same kind of problem too
I got high end of Q but low end of V(desperately lower than 20) in real test
but normally score 28-35 on verbal in practice tests
If you aren't a native speaker, the problem might be that your vocabulary
is too limited to fight the GMAT. This difficulty seems to be true to me
on test day that RC&CR are harder than Gmatprep in terms of vocabulary but its logic remain the same not harder or easier.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for your advice...
I may try to check Arco out then... never seen the CD/Book before. I just ordered OG11 on amazon.com. Well, for Quant, I really do think that it is pure luck :oops: I was surprised after I saw that I got this score for maths (and as you knew, shocked and frastrated for verbal... I kept saying OMG OMG in my mind)... I ate like crazy after the test (not that hungry but simply disappointed from the verbal).
Anyway, again I really appreciate your suggestion. Thanx!!!

Originally posted by gmat_06 on 19 Sep 2006, 06:59.
Last edited by gmat_06 on 20 Sep 2006, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I forgot another thing that has helped me a great deal. Make everyday life like the GMAT verbal. Don't commit me to an insane asylum just yet, hear me out. Listen to how people speak and write and try to pick out errors. You would be shocked at how horrible grammar is these days. Don't point this out to them, just do it in your head. Also, when someone is on a rant or argues a point try to imagine what would strengthen/weaken/etc their argument.

This really helps, try it!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmat 06,

Just one humble piece of advice from my side, when you are practicing Verbal questions, it would be better to do that after practicing Quant for an hour or so. Or you should try and practice two sets of verbal questions 41 questions each, at one go.

Normally, a person is able to perform better on each of the quant and verbal tests as standalone, but the real test of character is doing both sequentially preceded by two 30 mins essay. Most of us have experienced this during the real test, that the key to doing well on verbal is to be able to rejuvinate your energy and concentration levels.

I hope it helps you do better in verbal, in your next attempt, but nevertheless 650 is a decent performance, and provides you with a good platform to go and kick it higher next time.

cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
bizblue,

I think your advice sounds good because from the test yesterday, I think I kinda lost after quant section. My understanding in English usually declines if I am tired. (I studied in US since high school... able to read quickly with medium-level passage. Sometimes got lost when read the Economist though - My finance professor found the Economist very fascinating but not me) I really hope that I can get above 700 next time because that is an average score for PhD admission (for normal schools, but top universities-730-750).
So, my study plan probably be:
1) MGMAT SC
2) Study OG 11 every section thoroughly
with your method, one hour maths followed by verbal

Again, thanks for your advice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
MGMAT SC is very good, I also found some concise explanations from Princeton review to be useful. Try doing SC 1000.

I had posted a tip a while ago on doing SC..it helped me quite a bit. Maybe you'll find it useful (if you aren't already doing it)

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#237068
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you rock the math world, now here is my 2 cents to improve verbal (I had a similar Verbal score in my 1st attempt)... now my highest practice score in verbal is 37... and I am still working to improve it!!!

1) sleep with MGMAT SC book... read it hundreds of times... I did... and you know what? always found something new :idea:

2) go through OG and read EACH and EVERY explanation, understand why each choice is wrong/correct!!!

3) know the basic categories of each questions type CR(strengthen, weaken, assumption, etc), SC(idioms, ||sm, pronoun, etc)

4) use LSAT RC passages to get better RC practice -> do this ONLY when you exhaust your OG passages!!!

5) read something every day... WSJ... I personally read The Economist... both good sources.

6) this is probably most important: STAY POSITIVE while preparing and BELIEVE in yourself when you take the test next time!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! I am sure you are very close to your goal!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you very much for your advice...u2lover and necromonger

I have a question for RC though. I heard many techniques about reading e.g. read only first 2 sentences of each paragraph and conclusion, or read the whole thing quickly and take note. What is the most effective method for you? :?:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmat_06 wrote:

I have a question for RC though. I heard many techniques about reading e.g. read only first 2 sentences of each paragraph and conclusion, or read the whole thing quickly and take note. What is the most effective method for you? :?:

RC is very personal... you must try what's best for you!

I started with reading the whole thing, rethinking what I read -> took a lot of time... thought I must change strategy

Next, I tried rhyme's method of skipping around (GMAX course suggests the similar strategy) -> took me even longer cause this requires more analytical thinking and completing the passages in your head -> so didn't work that great for me

Now, I am practicing with LSAT RC and the strategy is to read through the passage quickly. I believe IHateGMAT discussed his strategy on RC, which deals with timing and the fact of where you are in the verbal. I think this works best for me. I am back to my initial strategy of reading through the text, but I speed up when I see details, etc... I also summarize in my head of what a specific paragraph is about. Your ability to differentiate major/minor points and details will help you significantly with RC.

also read weekly/daily publications like The Economist, Scientific American or Discover magazines
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmat_06 wrote:

For me, reading the entire paragraph works best. I did try hop-skip-and-jump and read-a-little-bit-of-this-and-that methods and they did not work. It depends on individuals I guess --- I can read acceptably fast, and except pure weirdo sociology passages I can retain most other content reasonably well (technical, economics). So once I read with concentration, I find it easy to tick off the answers or do a quick re-read of relevant portions when needed.

The problem I find with read a little upfront and skim the rest techniques is that they make it hard (IMHO) to respond to questions that require a feel of the entire passage. But it does seem to work for others, like Rhyme.

(and I never took notes as I read -- too much of a distraction for 300 word passages)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok Mister "who Sleeps with Manhattan Gmat SC guide " :wink: . Where can i get the Manhattan SC book in india..

thankz
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I always read the entire passage without skipping around. I think that as you practice RC, you should pay special attention to the types of questions that are typically asked. This only works if you use OG, GMATprep and paper test questions because they are the real thing; RC passages from other sources sometimes have questions that bear no resemblance to real GMAT questions.

Anyhow, as you practice these RC passages, try to identify and familiarize yourself with the types of questions that are then asked. After a while, if you have been paying attention, you will begin to be able to guess the questions that will be asked, and in future questions you will begin to identify relevant information as you read through the passage. This will in turn allow you to read the passages more effectively.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey guys,
thanx a lot for the tips !!! I will practice reading passage and see which method is good for me. :P I'll definitely go through RC + CR sections in OG and check RC1000 out. Hopefully, I can read more quickly and survive science passages (Bio, Chemistry are scary while econ is the best).
Last time, I was stupid because I did not study much for RC and CR. I stopped studying after I saw that I did quite ok on PowerPrep (such a wrong impression). So, I will really prepare this time because although I could still get low score in verbal section, I know I already try my best. But I will pray every day that I get a better score!!! :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts