Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks guys for the support

but I always thought that more value was given to verbal instead of quant? i.e. a V45 is worth more than a Q45?

if I maintained my V at where it is now (not pushing it up), but push my Q from a 42 to maybe a 47 or 48 .. would that bring me up to 700?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
When you say your were scoring around 45 on verbal before the exams, you mean on GMATPrep? That's an amazing verbal score, if you can make that happen on the real thing, I think that alone will add over a hundred points to your score.

And like 3underscore said, quant is the easier section in terms of gaining ground in a short amount of time. Sounds like you should just buckle down and study hard and you'll do great.

It won't add 100 points to his score - my breakdown was 43 Q, 45 V and I got a 710 overall. He could certainly add 50-60 to his score by scoring 45 on the V and it would get him right around the 700 level. But it's such a lopsided score (the Q is around 70%) that the top schools may still be wary of it.

adc_away, I think it would be better for you to get your quantitative score up if you can. Schools look at more than just the overall score - they prefer you to be above 80% on both sections. Your verbal is already there - and it's generally thought to be easier to improve on the quantitative section. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, I think you meant get my verbal score up. My V is only 71% now, while my Q is at 85%

?

Should I focus on my V or Q?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
Sorry, I think you meant get my verbal score up. My V is only 71% now, while my Q is at 85%

?

Should I focus on my V or Q?

Am I getting your scores wrong? In your first post, I thought you said that you got a 42 Q, 37 V. My official score report is from early December, but it says that a 42 Q is around 70%, and that a 37 V is around 83%. My apologies if I misread anything.

My overall point still stands - top schools have stated a preference for an 80/80 on the GMAT. You can get a decent score by scoring really well on one and weaker on the other, but it's better to be strong on both.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh my

Maybe I should look at my scores more closely. I think you could be right, but I haven't really checked out the scores. Was a bit disappointed so I left it at that.

No wonder schools have been rejecting me :(

Right, I always thought my Q was giving me the higher score, if that's the case, then I'll work on my Q and push it up. Working on Q seems easier than working on V... V is like an art, Q is just thinking. :P
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
thanks guys for the support

but I always thought that more value was given to verbal instead of quant? i.e. a V45 is worth more than a Q45?

if I maintained my V at where it is now (not pushing it up), but push my Q from a 42 to maybe a 47 or 48 .. would that bring me up to 700?

It is true, V45 is like 97% and Q45 under 80%. However, improving Q seems to be easier with practice than improving V. Hence, it would make more sense to improve Q. Additionally, improving anything from top 75% to top 85 - 90% is by definition easier than improving from 97% to 99%.

Hope it helps. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
So, my quest shall be to become a quant god.

Other than GMAT Club and lots of practice, any advise on how I could achieve godlike quant?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
there isn't any. math is routine - there really is no other way other than running through it time and time and time and time again. Especially in the case of GMAT stuff.

There are a few bits you will need to focus on that are high end of the scale - I can't say which, because it depends on your personal logic style.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think you need 4-5 months to study. At the rate you're planning on, you're going to burn yourself out. There is more to life and the b-school application process than the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Maybe keeping an error log would work to your advantage.

You can use it to track what kinds of problems in quant you're frequently getting wrong and then focus on those areas.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]