Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 15 Jul 2019, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

710 - 710 - 730 Should I cancel?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.42
710 - 710 - 730 Should I cancel?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 18:45
Summary:
I am looking for advice whether I should cancel my latest score of 730. I am targeting an M7 + INSEAD school. Based on my background of 2yrs management consulting, Asian, Male from Europe, 3.4GPA, I believe a 730 might be too low. I keep reading that taking the test over 3 times was going to be a huge red flag to adcoms, and I am considering cancelling my latest score, retaking the GMAT and if I score lower than 730, I would reinstate the 730 score. Is this a bad idea?

Story:
I have exhausted every verbal question from the GMAT books, Verbal, Quant, Additional Qpack and all the extra GMATPREP exams.

I started studying for the GMAT a couple of months ago and got a 710 (Q49 V39 IR5) for my first exam. This was a disappointment considering that I had gotten high scores in the mocks. However, I attributed this to my nerves and bad timing strategy and decided to retake it.

GMATPREP1 710 (Q48, V39)
GMATPREP2 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPREP3 750 (Q49, V42)

I studied and focused on verbal and redid the GMAT but obtained a 710 (Q48 V39 IR8). This was once again a huge blow because my GMATPREP showed a consistently higher score.

GMATPREP4 750 (Q50, V41)
GMATPREP5 760 (Q50, V43)
GMATPREP6 760 (Q50, V42)

Out of stupidity, I ended up keeping the score instead of cancelling just because my IR went from 5 to 8 before reading online that it didn't matter at all.

Now I recently retook it and scored a 730 (Q49, V41 IR8). I am struggling with the fact that I believe I can still do better but I am worried taking it too many times will be detrimental to my application. However, I do not want my score to affect me negatively and I want a chance at a potential scholarship. I am also aware my GPA is on the lower end.

Can anyone share some advice? I would really appreciate it.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: 710 - 710 - 730 Should I cancel?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 19:26
KumaSun2 wrote:
I am looking for advice whether I should cancel my latest score of 730. I am targeting an M7 + INSEAD school. Based on my background of 2yrs management consulting, Asian, Male from Europe, 3.4GPA, I believe a 730 might be too low. I keep reading that taking the test over 3 times was going to be a huge red flag to adcoms, and I am considering cancelling my latest score, retaking the GMAT and if I score lower than 730, I would reinstate the 730 score. Is this a bad idea?
That's not a bad idea at all, given that you can always reinstate your score. However, you should not look at your 730 as being "too low" (!). It is clearly not too low, even for the best schools. Taking the GMAT multiple times is also not a major issue. You don't have any low scores, and you managed to improve your score. There is very little to be worried about here.

KumaSun2 wrote:
I have exhausted every verbal question from the GMAT books, Verbal, Quant, Additional Qpack and all the extra GMATPREP exams.
That is clearly not ideal, if you want to take the exam again. It is also normal, given that you've taken the exam 3 times.

KumaSun2 wrote:
GMATPREP3 750 (Q49, V42)
GMATPREP4 750 (Q50, V41)
GMATPREP5 760 (Q50, V43)
GMATPREP6 760 (Q50, V42)
Those are some really good scores, and they show that you are capable of getting a score higher than 730 on the actual exam.

KumaSun2 wrote:
Out of stupidity, I ended up keeping the score instead of cancelling just because my IR went from 5 to 8 before reading online that it didn't matter at all.
Again, you seem to think that some of these things are critical. They are not. Also, IR scores do matter (just not as much as the total, quantitative, and verbal scores).

KumaSun2 wrote:
Now I recently retook it and scored a 730 (V49, V41). I am struggling with the fact that I believe I can still do better but I am worried taking it too many times will be detrimental to my application. However, I do not want my score to affect me negatively and I want a chance at a potential scholarship. I am also aware my GPA is on the lower end.
Taking the GMAT again could be detrimental, but not because you'd end up taking it too many times. Taking the GMAT a fourth time means that you are spending time that you could have spent on other aspects of your application on something that can provide you marginal gains at best. That's the real (potential) downside of taking the exam again.

On the other hand, if you feel that you have enough time to take the exam again, go ahead and take it again.
710 - 710 - 730 Should I cancel?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 19:43
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

AjiteshArun wrote:
On the other hand, if you feel that you have enough time to take the exam again, go ahead and take it again.

Given that I am hoping to apply for R2 (deadline in early January), I am planning to begin writing my essay in September.

I am not sure what to spend my time doing instead. Since I am not actively spending time on anything else, would it make sense to just try again in 2 weeks?
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 20:14
KumaSun2 wrote:
I am not sure what to spend my time doing instead. Since I am not actively spending time on anything else, would it make sense to just try again in 2 weeks?
Now that is a red flag to me.

I ask every student who says this to me to work on this first (unless his or her GMAT or application deadline is very close). There are a lot of things you could and should be doing to strengthen your profile apart from preparing for the GMAT and working on your essays.

I'm not trying to nudge you towards not taking the exam again. That said, I wasn't aware that you were planning to take the exam again in just two weeks. Why do you want to take the exam again so soon?

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 11:40
AjiteshArun wrote:
KumaSun2 wrote:
Now that is a red flag to me.

I ask every student who says this to me to work on this first (unless his or her GMAT or application deadline is very close). There are a lot of things you could and should be doing to strengthen your profile apart from preparing for the GMAT and working on your essays.

I'm not trying to nudge you towards not taking the exam again. That said, I wasn't aware that you were planning to take the exam again in just two weeks. Why do you want to take the exam again so soon?

Hey Ajitesh,

I am already trying get more involved in community activities at work and looking for volunteering activities. I meant I have time to spare as the GMAT would not require much more preparation. I plan to take it again in 2 weeks because I believe my condition during test day was not ideal.

I would appreciate any feedback if you have suggestions on other things I can work on to bolster my application.
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 18:59
Hi KumaSun2,

There is no harm in canceling your score. Like you said, if you need to use the 730 at some point, you can reinstate it.

Do you need any advice regarding how to prepare for your retake?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 19:35
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi KumaSun2,

There is no harm in canceling your score. Like you said, if you need to use the 730 at some point, you can reinstate it.

Do you need any advice regarding how to prepare for your retake?

I would appreciate some advice! My nerves tend to get to me on test day and I am not sure how to prepare for that.
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2019, 22:57
KumaSun2 wrote:
I would appreciate some advice! My nerves tend to get to me on test day and I am not sure how to prepare for that.
That's a tough one, as no one can really tell you how you can handle test pressure better. And given your last 4 (750, 750, 760, and 760) practice test scores (and a 730 on the actual exam), you don't have any major weaknesses. But if I had to give it a shot:

1. Recognize that you already have a very good score. Taking the exam again with such a good score under your belt is different from taking the exam again without a "cushion".
2. Let go of some of the concerns you have. The "path" you took getting to a good score is of very little importance. Even if it takes you 8 attempts to get a score that your target school is happy with, the number of attempts will not overshadow that score. I don't mean that you should aim for the lifetime limit, but the point is that some of the things you are worried about are not very important, and that is if your target schools even look at such things in the first place.
3. Don't aim for a 760. This is just to reduce exam pressure (some people perform better without the additional pressure of a score target). Take the actual exam as you would a practice test.
4. Understand that the GMAT is not perfect. There is always some amount of measurement error.

As I said, you should take the exam again if you feel that you can get a better score. You certainly would not want this to be there at the back of your mind when you're (for example) working on your essays.
Re: 710 - 710 - 730 Should I cancel?   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2019, 22:57

710 - 710 - 730 Should I cancel?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep