Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: 750 (Q47, V47) [#permalink]
akaydee wrote:
Congratulations...That is a fantastic score.

-How was the difficulty level of the quant section as compared to the GMAT prep/Manhattan tests?
-Do the questions on the real thing mirror the questions in the OGs (quant)?

thanks akaydee... the questions were quite close to what we find on GMATPrep. Manhattan math takes longer to solve but there is more probability of arriving on a correct answer unlike gmatprep where sometimes I found myself getting tricked into an answer even though the question appears "easy". In a nutshell, mgmat is time consuming but gmat is more "dangerous"... all in my opinion of course.

OG can help in refreshing the basic concepts and getting some practice but generally the questions in this book are easier compared to the real thing. Nevertheless, it is important to solve all questions in OG and review them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congratulations. I think this is the first bitter sweet 750 I heard about. Stellar verbal score for a non-native speaker.
The quant could have been a glitch/fluke.

I don't know that the split matters THAT much. This may be an intricate question that's best addressed by an admissions exeprt who specializes in the schools you are applying to. What schools are you considering to apply to?

I am targeting some top 10 schools (barring HBS and Stanford). Wharton and Chicago are the primary picks. I won't be applying to any "safe schools"... its top 10 or nothing for me.

As for the quant issue, I wouldn't have worried about it if I had good grades in math courses i took in undergrad. 77 percentile doesn't help me exorcise the ghosts of my past. I overcame that challenge during MS applications, I don't know if I can do it again with that percentile. My plan was to have GMAT as strong as possible to cover up some past mistakes.

My decision to re-take will be made on the outcome of this:

(Good overall score + 99 percentile verbal) < or > (Average quant percentile + average undergrad math grades)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Check with Alex or Paul in the profile review forum - they'll know this technicality better.
It is a very debatable decisions, so the best you can do is get as many perspectives as possible and maybe one of them clicks.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Congratulations!!

Now if you ask me you can easily apply in top 10
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Since you have a masters from US university, how would your undergrad matter so heavily ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
klusener wrote:
Since you have a masters from US university, how would your undergrad matter so heavily ?

I hope its that way but I don't want to take any chances. Also coz I didn't have any math courses in MS (although technically my degree, Computer Science, can be classified as "quantitative")

PS: Thanks Pavle!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
occamsrazor wrote:
Once again, I request the wise men of this village to speak up and help me make a decision whether to take the test again or be content with what I have.

Note: In case it helps decide my case, I am not interested in going into the finance stream. Primary interest is towards Strategy/Management.

Occam:
Thanks for reaching out to me via a private message. To answer your question very directly, you are not going to want to take the GMAT again. Your 750 is fine. It is going to be about 20 to 30 points higher than the top 10 average.

I know that you have an issue with a split. However, the nature of your undergraduate engineering degree should be enough to overcome this, by itself. Remember this - that engineering grades and related quantitative abilities are held in higher regard than other softer majors. So while you will be compared to other engineers and their grades (during the admissions process), know that for the purposes of determining whether or not you can do the work in an MBA program, you have met the bar.

While I do not have a lot of insight into the nature of your work experience, by virtue of your degree, I am going to say that it is analytical in nature. Again, this type of work also tells the admissions committee that you will be able to handle the quantitative rigor of the core classes. This is what the admissions committee is looking for in their applicants. One way of demonstrating this is by having a relatively higher quantitative score on the GMAT. Based on all your experiences - You don't have an overwhelming reason to prove this. Yet again, they know you are going to be able to do handle the core classes.

At this point, if you elect to continue studying for a GMAT retake, you are going to get decreasing returns to scale. That is, for the amount of hours that you will put in, you are sacrificing be equal number of hours that you could be spending on generating better essays and a better overall application. Also consider that the expected outcome of getting a higher GMAT score is not a given nor is a higher quantitative percentile a given. Taking all of this into consideration, you will be spending effort on something with very little certain benefit. With first-round deadlines coming up in two months, you need to start focusing on hitting hard targets, developing your essay roadmaps for each school, reaching out to your recommenders and planning your school visits.

My advice above is applicable to all top 10 programs. Please private message me or post in this thread if you have any additional questions. from what I can tell, you have the foundation of a competitive candidacy at a top 10 program. If you would like to get on the phone for one hour to discuss how you frame your experiences for a representative program, like Harvard, then please private message me and let me know.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot Paul! Your input is very much appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts