Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [174]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618639 [234]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [36]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [28]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overt [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
noboru wrote:
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

5 minutes
6 minutes
8 minutes
9 minutes
10 minutes

There is only one thing you need to understand in this question - When buses are approaching him from both the sides at a constant speed, it doesn't matter whether the man is standing still or cycling, the number of buses that he will meet will be the same. Convince yourself by imagining the case where the man is standing still. He will meet a bus from each side after every few mins. When he starts cycling in a direction, he is cycling away from buses of one side but towards buses of the other side. Since in 12 mins he meets total 4 buses (1 + 3), in 6 mins he meets 2 buses, one from each side, if he were standing still. So buses ply at a frequency of 6 mins each.

Twist: Same scenario. If a man is sitting inside one bus, at what frequency will a bus from opposite side cross him?

Also try the same question by changing the time taken by buses to meet the man to 10 min and 8 min respectively (instead of 12 mins and 4 mins)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [24]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overt [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
lucalelli88 wrote:
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him and every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at a constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

I didn't get how to solve this problem. Can someone explain me more detailed than solution provided by the test?
Thank you in advance!!

When solving motion problems, I can't do without some drawings.
So, here is my version:

Denote by B the speed of the bus and by C the speed of the bicycle. Both are assumed to be constant.
Let T be the constant time interval between consecutive buses. It means, the distance between two consecutive buses is BT.

First scenario: buses and bicycle moving in the same direction and buses overtake the bicycle. Refer to the first attached drawing.

When bus \(B\) and bicycle \(C\) are at point \(n,\) next bus \(B^*\) is at point \(m.\)
Bus \(B^*\) will overtake bicycle \(C\) at point \(p.\)
In 12 minutes, bus \(B^*\) travels the distance \(mp\) and bicycle \(C\) travels the distance \(np.\)
We know that \(mp\) is the distance between consecutive buses, therefore \(mp=BT.\)
Translated into an equation mp=mn+np, so:
\(12B=BT+12C\) (1)

Second scenario: buses and bicycle moving in opposite directions and buses meet the bicycle. Refer to the second attached drawing.

When bus \(B\) and bicycle \(C\) are at point \(m\), next bus \(B^*\) is at point \(p.\)
Bus \(B^*\) will meet bicycle C at point \(n.\)
In 4 minutes, bus \(B^*\) travels the distance \(np\) and bicycle \(C\) travels the distance \(mn.\)
We know that \(mp\) is the distance between consecutive buses, therefore \(mp=BT.\)
Translated into an equation mp=mn+np, so:
\(BT=4C+4B\) (2)

Expressing \(BT\) from both equations, we get \(12(B-C)=4(B+C)\) from which \(B=2C\) (3)
Substituting (3) in (2) for example, we get, \(2CT=8C+4C\) from which \(T=6\) (minutes).

Answer B.
Attachments

BusBicycle1.jpg
BusBicycle1.jpg [ 7.78 KiB | Viewed 37211 times ]

BusBicycle2.jpg
BusBicycle2.jpg [ 7.75 KiB | Viewed 37222 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [4]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
lucalelli88 wrote:

A. 5 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 8 minutes
D. 9 minutes
E. 10 minutes

We can let b = speed of the bus and c = speed of the cyclist. Let d = the distance between two consecutive buses (in the same direction). Thus, we want to determine d/b, which is the time interval between two consecutive buses.

When the bus and the cyclist are traveling in the same direction, if we assume a bus overtakes the cyclist at a certain time, then it will be 12 minutes until the next bus overtakes him. Thus, we have:

12(b - c) = d

12b - 12c = d

When the bus and the cyclist are traveling in opposite directions, if we assume the cyclist meets an oncoming bus at a certain time, then it will be 4 minutes until the cyclist meets the next oncoming bus. Thus, we have:

4(b + c) = d

4b + 4c = d

Subtracting 4b + 4c = d from 12b - 12c = d, we have:

8b - 16c = 0

8b = 16c

b = 2c

We see that the bus is twice as fast as the cyclist. Substituting 2c for b in 12(b - c) = d (or in 4(b + c) = d), we have:

12(2c - c) = d

12c = d

Recall that the time interval between two consecutive buses is d/b; thus, we have:

d/b = 12c/2c = 6

Answer: B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

To start, this question has some vague language in it - but we're meant to assume that all of the buses travel at the same constant speed and the cyclist is traveling at a different, constant speed. It can be solved with a mix of TESTing VALUES and TESTing THE ANSWERS - and drawing a little time-table.

To start, since the 1st bus overtakes the cyclist at the 12-minute mark, I'm going to set that distance at 1 mile. Since the cyclist traveled 1 mile in 12 minutes, then the cyclist would travel 5 miles in 60 minutes; the cyclist's speed would be 5 miles/hour.

12:00 Cyclist starts riding
12:12 1st bus passes cyclist

Since we're dealing with speeds and times AND both the times in the prompt (re: 12 minutes and 4 minutes) are EVEN numbers, it's likely that the correct answer will also be an EVEN number. Let's TEST Answer B first....

Answer B: 6 minutes

If the 'chasing' buses leave every 6 minutes, then we can add some more details to our time-table:

12:00 Cyclist starts riding and a bus leaves at the same time (we don't care about this bus though)
12:06: 1st bus leaves
12:12 1st bus passes cyclist

The 1st bus that passed the cyclist had to cover that 1 mile distance in just 6 minutes; that bus would then travel 10 miles in 60 minutes; thus, the bus's speed is 10 miles/hour. Don't forget that buses are leaving every 6 minutes, so there's more info to add to the table:

12:00 Cyclist starts riding and a bus leaves at the same time (we don't care about this bus though)
12:06: 1st bus leaves
12:12 1st bus passes cyclist; 2nd bus leaves

That second bus catches the cyclist at 12:24 - meaning at the 2-mile mark. Does that make sense with the speed of the bus? YES; that bus would travel those 2 miles in those 12 minutes!

12:24 2nd bus passes cyclist

Thus, these calculations 'match up' with what we were told in the prompt. Now, what about the 'approaching' buses...?

Since the cyclist is traveling 5 miles/hour and the buses each travel 10 miles/hour, when they APPROACH one another, we ADD their speeds to find the total distance traveled. In one hour, the total distance traveled between the cyclist and the approaching bus would be 5+10 = 15 miles; so their combined rate is 15 miles/hour. That's 15 miles in 60 minutes or 1 mile every 4 minutes. That 'fits' the other piece of information that we're given; since all of this fits everything that we're told, this MUST be the answer.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Walker,

If possible can can you dumb it down a little for us lowly earthlings :-). Thanks in advance.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [3]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prasannar wrote:
Walker,

How do we know that the distance L traveled by the oncoming and overtaking buses is the same, Do we need to assume that it is same and calculate or am I missing anything.

Yes. we have to assume. If the distance is not the same, the buses will collect in the one of the end stations and we have many possible solutions.

neelesh wrote:
Walker, If possible can can you dumb it down a little for us lowly earthlings :-). Thanks in advance.

:)
1. I wrote two equations for the time intervals of both the oncoming and overtaking buses using formula: t=L/V
2. I divided one equation by other one in order to exclude the distance between buses.
3. I found relationship between the speed of the buses and the speed of the cyclist
4. I used the finding and got L/Vbus (the time interval between consecutive buses) from first equation.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [6]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
topmbaseeker wrote:
A man cycling along the road noticed that every 12 minutes a bus overtakes him while every 4 minutes he meets an oncoming bus. If all buses and the cyclist move at constant speed, what is the time interval between consecutive buses?

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m08#18

* 5 minutes
* 6 minutes
* 8 minutes
* 9 minutes
* 10 minutes

d = distance the bus and cyclist togather run
c = cyclist's speed
b = bus's speed

d/(c+b) = 4
d/(b-c) = 12
d/(c+b) = d/3(b-c)
3c+3b = b-c
4c = 2b
b = 2c, or
c = c/2

we need bus's time to complet d distance. so replace c in terms of b:

d/(c+b) = 4
d/(b/2 + b) = 4
d/b = 4x3/2
d/b = 6

Thats the time taken to pass d for a bus. after every 6 minuets another bus comes.

So it is B.

I know this is another hard question but when the concept is clear, it wont be difficult to get the result.. 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

Let's say the distance between the buses is \(d\). We want to determine \(Interval=\frac{d}{b}\), where \(b\) is the speed of bus.
Let the speed of cyclist be \(c\).

\(Interval=\frac{d}{b}=\frac{6b}{b}=6\)

Answer: 6 minutes.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the explanation. Please clarify the following doubts.
Aren't we calculating the interval between 2 buses that move towards each other?
If yes, then would the interval not be 6b/b+b ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618639 [5]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos