GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Nov 2018, 02:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

81% (02:05) correct 19% (03:16) wrong based on 102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

[Math Revolution GMAT math practice question]

A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal route at their constant speed rates of 40 miles per hour and 30 miles per hour, respectively. After 15 minutes the car passed the bicycle, the car reaches a waiting point, how long it takes the bicycle to reach the waiting point?

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Originally posted by MathRevolution on 07 Nov 2018, 01:47.
Last edited by MathRevolution on 08 Nov 2018, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
D
Re: A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Nov 2018, 00:27
MathRevolution wrote:

A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal route at their constant speed rates of 40 miles per hour and 30 miles per hour, respectively. After 15 minutes the car passed the bicycle, the car reaches a waiting point, how long it takes the bicycle to reach the waiting point?

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

hey pushpitkc where am i wrong ? :)

Why C is correct answer ? i am getting B :? :)

if after 15 minutes the car passed a bike, it means that car covered 1/4 * 60 = 10 miles after overtaking bike

so distance between car and bike is 10 miles

so for bike to reach a waiting point is 1/3*60 = 20 minutes

Bunuel maybe you can explain ? :) or you GMATGuruNY :)

how about you ? :) Salsanousi

Originally posted by dave13 on 07 Nov 2018, 09:34.
Last edited by dave13 on 08 Nov 2018, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
D
Re: A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 13:55
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

MathRevolution are you sure the OA is C ? I am getting B for some reason :? if C is the answer please provide your revolutionary explanation, just dont make it too complicated to understand :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 01:21
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

Dear all ..
This question makes no sense to me . There is no clarity in the question .
First of all , the starting point is not given . And then even if we consider the car crossed bicycle and travelled some 15 mins , the relative gap will be only 2.5 miles as
both are travelling . There is no answer choice for this .
So I don't think this question is a good question . Please let me know for any concerns . Thank you !!
V
A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 02:07
dave13 wrote:
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

MathRevolution are you sure the OA is C ? I am getting B for some reason :? if C is the answer please provide your revolutionary explanation, just dont make it too complicated to understand :)

Accidentally, the wrong answer is set. It is fixed now.
Director
Director
G
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 03:18
Hi dave13 I believe the question poster answered your question and addressed your concern.

But I don't know about this question and the way it is worded. I also doubt the answer choices, but it could just be me.

The way I approached it is that for the car it takes 15 minutes to travel 10 miles while the bicycle will cover 10 miles in 20 minutes.

So for the bicycle the distance covered is 30 * 1/4 = 7.5 miles.

Now it means that the car passed the bicycle by 2.5 miles. If we assume the car stopped there.

So it means the bicycle's time to reach the car is = distance/speed * 60 (to convert to minutes) = 2.5/30 * 60 = 5 minutes.

I hope someone else can validate this though. Perhaps chetan2u or Gladiator59

Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 03:36
Hello dave13

Apologies for the late reply.

You are absolutely correct here and the original poster has updated the OA to correctly reflect B.

The way I tackled this question is - the relative speed of the car w.r.t the bicycle is 10 mph ( as 40 mph - 30 mph) in the same direction. So in 15 mins, the car will have travelled a distance of 10mph * ( 15/60) hr = 10/4 = 2.5 miles ahead of the bicycle.

Now, the bicycle traveling at 30 mph will take ( 2.5 miles / 30 mph) hrs or (2.5/30)*60 mins = 5 mins to reach that point where the car has halted.

Hence the bicycle travels for a total of 15 mins ( original when both car and bicycle are traveling) + 5 mins to catch up = 20 mins.

Hope this resolves your query! Let me know if you want to discuss some more.

Best,
GLadi

dave13 wrote:
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

hey pushpitkc where am i wrong ? :)

Why C is correct answer ? i am getting B :? :)

if after 15 minutes the car passed a bike, it means that car covered 1/4 * 60 = 10 miles after overtaking bike

so distance between car and bike is 10 miles

so for bike to reach a waiting point is 1/3*60 = 20 minutes

Bunuel maybe you can explain ? :) or you GMATGuruNY :)

how about you ? :) Salsanousi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
Senior PS Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 03:38
Hi Salsanousi,

Your approach is correct. So the bicycle does take 5 mins to catch up to the car. However, the bicycle has already travelled for 15 mins and hence the total travel time is 20 mins.

Hope this resolves the confusion. Let me know if you want to discuss further.

Best,
Gladi

Salsanousi wrote:
Hi dave13 I believe the question poster answered your question and addressed your concern.

But I don't know about this question and the way it is worded. I also doubt the answer choices, but it could just be me.

The way I approached it is that for the car it takes 15 minutes to travel 10 miles while the bicycle will cover 10 miles in 20 minutes.

So for the bicycle the distance covered is 30 * 1/4 = 7.5 miles.

Now it means that the car passed the bicycle by 2.5 miles. If we assume the car stopped there.

So it means the bicycle's time to reach the car is = distance/speed * 60 (to convert to minutes) = 2.5/30 * 60 = 5 minutes.

I hope someone else can validate this though. Perhaps chetan2u or Gladiator59

Director
Director
G
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 03:43
Hi Gladiator59

The wording "how long it takes the bicycle to reach the waiting point?" doesn't that mean 5 minutes?

It doesn't ask for the total period travelled? I'm not sure though about the wording as it confused me.

Thanks!
Senior PS Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 03:47
I would agree with you, the question could have been better worded. However, on looking at the options it becomes clear that the question intends to ask the total time.

Best,
Gladi

Salsanousi wrote:
Hi Gladiator59

The wording "how long it takes the bicycle to reach the waiting point?" doesn't that mean 5 minutes?

It doesn't ask for the total period travelled? I'm not sure though about the wording as it confused me.

Thanks!

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 03:56
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

Answer:

It is given that the car reaches the waiting point 15 minutes after crossing the bi-cycle,
so distance traveled by car in 15 min = 40*(15/60) = 10 miles

so, time taken by bi-cycle to travel 10 miles = 20 minutes. (bcz, speed of bicycle is given 30 miles in an hour, which means it covers 10 miles every 1/3 hrs which is nothing but 20 minutes).

so, option B is correct.

Let's study and grow together
If the answer helped you, be generous and hit +1 Kudos
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 01:24
=>

Since the car traveled for \(15\) minutes with the speed \(40\) mph, it moved \(10\) miles. It take \(20\) minutes the bicycle to travel \(10\) miles with the speed \(30\) mph.

Therefore, the answer is B.
Answer: B
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 01:47
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

The wording of the question is too bad.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 13:18
MathRevolution wrote:

A. 15 min
B. 20 min
C. 25 min
D. 30 min
E. 35 min

In 15 minutes, or 1/4 of an hour, the car travels 40/4 miles and the bicycle travels 30/4 miles.

Thus, the bicycle needs to travel 40/4 - 30/4 = 10/4 = 5/2 miles to reach the car.

The bicycle will travel 5/2 miles in (5/2)/30 = 5/60 = 1/12 hour, which is 60 x 1/12 = 5 minutes.

Including the 15 minutes that the bike has already traveled, it takes 15 + 5 = 20 minutes for the bike to reach the waiting point.

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2018, 13:18

A car and a bicycle traveled in the same direction along the equal rou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics