Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618770 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618770 [0]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Re: During the halftime break of a football match, the coach plans to make [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arindamsur wrote:
Can you make me correct on my calculation?

\(\frac{9C3}{11C3}\\
\\
= \frac{9!}{3!(3 - 9)}\\
\\
= \frac{11!}{3!(3 - 11)!}\\
\\
= \frac{9*8*7}{3*2}\\
\\
= \frac{11*10*9}{3*2}\\
\\
= \frac{84}{165}\\
\\
= \frac{28}{55}\)

Bunuel wrote:
arindamsur wrote:
During the break of a football match, the coach will make 3 substitutions. If the team consists of 11 players among which there are 2 forwards, what is the probability that none of the forwards will be substituted?

A. \(\frac{21}{55}\)

B. \(\frac{18}{44}\)

C. \(\frac{28}{55}\)

D. \(\frac{28}{44}\)

E. \(\frac{36}{55}\)

M 13-10

The probability that none of the forwards will be substituted is \(\frac{favorable}{total}=\frac{9C3}{11C3}=\frac{28}{55}\), where 9C3 is the number of ways to choose 3 players which will be substituted from 9 players (all but forwards) and 11C3 is the total number of ways to choose 3 players out of 11.

Answer: C.

\(C^3_9=\frac{9!}{3!6!}\);

\(C^3_{11}=\frac{11!}{3!8!}\);

\(\frac{C^3_9}{C^3_{11}}=\frac{9!}{3!6!}*\frac{3!8!}{11!}=\frac{7*8}{10*11}=\frac{28}{55}\).

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: During the halftime break of a football match, the coach plans to make [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel here is my approach using probability

1/11 +1/11+1/11 = 3/11 ( its a case when we substitute two forwards and and the third one is anyone from the team)

1-3/11 = 8/11 is number of desired out comes

Now # of desired outcomes divided by number of total outcomes

\(\frac{8}{11} / \frac{55}{1}= \frac{8}{11} *\frac{1}{55}\) :?

what did i do wrong?

pushpitkc hello :) thanks for your comments.

can you please tell me wat am I doing wrong when solving this question using probability ?

can you solve it using probability ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
dave13 wrote:

1/11 +1/11+1/11 = 3/11 ( its a case when we substitute two forwards and and the third one is anyone from the team)

what did i do wrong?

can you please tell me wat am I doing wrong when solving this question using probability ?

If solving by probability - the easiest way to look at this question is to solve by not including the forwards. Think of solving 3 slots.
First slot = 9/11 (9 players out of 11 can be selected)
Second slot = 8/10 ( minus 1 player since you have selected 1 in the first slot from available / minus 1 player from total available since you selected 1 from the total available)
3rd slot = 7/9 (minus another player since you have selected 2 from the previous two slots of non-forwards / minus another player from 2 the 2 that have been selected from the total players)

the 3 slots will be (9/11) * (8/10) * (7/9) = 28/55

You can also see a pattern where the numerator is reduced by one for each slot with the favorable outcome. The same pattern is seen in the denominator out of the total players on the roster in each slot as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
arindamsur wrote:
During the break of a football match, the coach will make 3 substitutions. If the team consists of 11 players among which there are 2 forwards, what is the probability that none of the forwards will be substituted?

A. \(\frac{21}{55}\)

B. \(\frac{18}{44}\)

C. \(\frac{28}{55}\)

D. \(\frac{28}{44}\)

E. \(\frac{36}{55}\)

M 13-10

11 players ---- 2 forwards ----- 9 non forwards

We want to substitute non forwards :

\(\frac{9}{11} * \frac{8}{10} * \frac{7}{9}\)

\(\frac{28}{55}\)

(C)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
hdavies wrote:
dave13 wrote:

what did i do wrong?

If solving by probability - the easiest way to look at this question is to solve by not including the forwards. Think of solving 3 slots.
Second slot = 8/10 ( minus 1 player since you have selected 1 in the first slot from available / minus 1 player from total available since you selected 1 from the total available)
3rd slot = 7/9 (minus another player since you have selected 2 from the previous two slots of non-forwards / minus another player from 2 the 2 that have been selected from the total players)

You can also see a pattern where the numerator is reduced by one for each slot with the favorable outcome. The same pattern is seen in the denominator out of the total players on the roster in each slot as well.

Hey hdavies :) thanks for your comments :)

but the question is what is the probability that none of the forwards will be substituted?

why do you start with 9/11 :? and why do you multiply events ? if there is substituon dont we need to add event ? :?

what would be other way to solve it via probability ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
dave13 wrote:
hdavies wrote:
dave13 wrote:

what did i do wrong?

Hey hdavies :) thanks for your comments :)

but the question is what is the probability that none of the forwards will be substituted?

why do you start with 9/11 :? and why do you multiply events ? if there is substituon dont we need to add event ? :?

what would be other way to solve it via probability ?

Out of 11 players, 2 of them are forwards. The question asks for the probability of none of them being chosen. If you remove the 2 forwards from the group, then you will have all the remaining, non-forwards on the team. 9/11 mean 9 (non-forwards) out of 11 total players. The selections are multiplied because you need to consider each possible outcome that satisfies the question.

A good way to approach any problem is to read each sentence in the question and see what information you can pull from it. Let's break down the question:

During the break of a football match, the coach will make 3 substitutions.

3 substitutions will need to be made by the coach. Ok - so we know that the coach wants to make 3 substitutes during the break

If the team consists of 11 players among which there are 2 forwards, what is the probability that none of the forwards will be substituted?

So now we are provided with some information regarding the potential substitutes:
1) There are a total of 11 players
2) Out of the 11 players, 2 are forwards and the rest are not

The last line provides the question that needs to be solved.
what is the probability that none of the forwards will be substituted

Now we know what we need to solve. To summarize: Out of 11 players, 2 are forwards. What is the probability of selecting 3 players, who are not forwards?

First selection - 9 members who are not forwards can be chosen. The group total is 11. So 9 out of 11 can be chosen. 9/11
Second selection - Now you have 8 members left who are not forwards. The total members of the group are 10 (since you selected 1 member previously for the first selection). 8/10
Third selection - Now there are 7 members, who are not forwards that can be selected. The group total is now 9 (because you have chosen 2 people from the previous 2 selections). 7/9

The 3 selections have to be multiplied because each will need to occur in order to calculate the total possibility. You can think of it as selection 1 and selection 2 and selection 3. 9/11 *8/10 * 7/9

The problem can also be solved by using combinatorics.

9C3/11C3

9C3 = 9 Choose 3 = 9!/3!*6! = favorable outcome
11C3 = 11 choose 3 = 11!/3! * 8! = total possibilities
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
9/11 x 8/10 x 7/9 = 28/55

Answer is C.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts