GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 11:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:11) correct 47% (01:03) wrong based on 200 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an invitation with four tickets to the circus. If the family decides to randomly select the four members who get to attend the circus, but determine that the chosen group must include at least one of the mother and father, how many different groups are possible to send to the circus?

A. 70
B. 84
C. 91
D. 108
E. 126
Retired Moderator
G
Premium Member
Re: A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 12:04
sameerspice wrote:
A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an invitation with four tickets to the circus. If the family decides to randomly select the four members who get to attend the circus, but determine that the chosen group must include at least one of the mother and father, how many different groups are possible to send to the circus?

A. 70
B. 84
C. 91
D. 108
E. 126

Condition 1: Atleast one of the mother and father along with seven children must be selected

Then either - Mother or father = 2C1 = 2 ways for one ticket and 7C3 = 35 ways for other three tickets. Total ways here is 2*35 = 70

Condition 2: Both M and F selected and this is 1 way...then we'll have only two tickets for 7 children..then we can select 7C2 = 21.

Total 70+21 = 91.

Option C.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.25
A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 01:27
I think this is a shorter solution.
All possible selections = 9C4 (Selecting any 4 members out of the total 9 members).
Selections involving only children (i.e. no parent is selected) = 7C4(Selecting 4 children out of 7 children).
Now 9C4 - 7C4 = Scenarios where atleast one parent has to be selected = 126-35 = 91

Hence C. :)
Intern
Intern
B
Re: A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 09:21
I made this approach, which i saw it in similar examples but there is something wrong.
For the first seat we have 2 options (father or mother) the second one 8 options (7children remaining parent) third 7 options 4th 6 options
So 2*8*7*4/ 4! = 28
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 00:00
Solve these questions systematically. We can have 3 cases. Case 1: When the father goes to the circus along with his 3 children. So F,C1,C2,C3. This can happen in 7C3 ways. Case 2: When the mother goes accompanied by her 3 children. So M,C1,C2,C3. This can happen in 7C3 ways. Finally, Case 3: When both the parents go along with 2 children. So, M,F,C1,C2. This can happen in 7C2 ways. So the total number of possible combinations= 2*7C3+7C2= 70+21=91.

In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 03:00
2 Ways to do this:

Quote:
Because the parents are the limiting factor here - at least one must be in the final group - it can be helpful to begin by thinking through the situations that will work: Mom goes and Dad doesn't; Dad goes and Mom doesn't; and both parents go (this is the one people forget!). With each of those situations:

Mom goes, Dad doesn't: that leaves 3 spots left to select from the 7 children. Using the combinations formula that gives 7!/3!4!=7∗6∗5/3∗2=35

Dad goes, Mom doesn't: that math is the same as above, with 7 children vying for the 3 remaining spots. Using the combinations formula that's: 7!/3!4!=7∗6∗5/3∗2=35

Both parents go: that leaves the 7 children with only 2 spots to be chosen. The combinations formula then looks like: 7!/2!5!=7∗6/2=21

So the three different possible situations have 35, 35, and 21 outcomes each. The sum of those is 91 total options that will work.

Quote:
Alternatively, you could start with the total number of unrestricted groups (9 family members, choose 4) and work backward by subtracting those that violate the constraint (those groups that consist of 4 children with no parents). Were there no restriction and there were 9 people vying for 4 spots, that math would be:

9!/4!5!=9∗8∗7∗6/4∗3∗2∗1=126

But then you must subtract the "no parents / all children" groups. To find those, take the parents out of the pool of candidates, meaning that there are 7 people from which you'll select 4. That math is 7!/3!4!=7∗6∗5/3∗2=35

Therefore, 126 - 35 = 91, again leading to answer choice C.

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

GMAT Club Bot
A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 03:00

A mother and father have seven children, and the family receives an in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap